Rumor: Rutherford lays out the blueprint of what the Canucks are looking for via Trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Better to trade Miller now. Not the summer. You trade him now and the team has him for two playoff runs. Wait until the summer you will get less.

If fan offers are anything to go by, I can't see "less" being offered. No one wants to move a top prospect, or a piece that, you know, could be interesting to the Canucks, who would presumably be embracing a rebuild.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
This better be pure posturing because it's completely idiotic to not trade a major piece like Miller and/or Boeser if the Nucks "still have a chance at making the playoffs".

There's a better chance Pete Davidson and Kim Kardashian get married and live a long, loving and beautiful life together.

You do know people in Hollywood marry purely for Publicity right and they esstentially operate as if they were single

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
You do know people in Hollywood marry purely for Publicity right and they esstentially operate as if they were single
upload_2022-2-17_19-53-11.jpeg

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
LOLOL

2nd last in points percentage for the division
13th in points percentage in the conference

same idiotic short term thinking as Benning if he is talking about playoffs.
Kick that can down the road
Thats not idiotic. He is obviously thinking about roster changes. He could do it in offseason if price is not right at TDL. What would be idiotic is trading our best players for chump change.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
One thing in any potential Canucks/Devils trade,

Michael Mcleod is not someone the Canucks would be targeting.

Canucks just hired former Devlis analytic staffer Rachel Doerrie.

In her podcast a few months ago ( before getting hired by the Canucks) she was discussing always drafting skill over someone that just can skate fast.

She was then quoted saying " you know what happens when you draft a speedskater that cant think and cant process the game, you get Michael Mcleod"
She said that about an active player? That’s pretty poor if so.

Reactions: Guttersniped

nonfactor

Jan 9, 2017
Baltimore
I’m glad he said our forwards can’t skate. Been saying this for years. This is partially why I wanted Virtanen to work out here so badly. Obviously he didn’t and it’s for the best. But, to me this confirms what some of us have been speculating: Boeser and Pearson are as good as gone. They just don’t have the foot speed JR is looking for in top 9 forwards. He already traded Pearson once I don’t see why he wouldn’t do it again.

I hope he trades both, but it seems Rutherford throws the baby out with the bath water in wanting a speedy winger like Kapanen who’s not played a full season, and not scored more than 20 goals and 44 points in a season. Same goes for Zacha whom has even worse stats. Boeser may be slower, but he’s outscored both in both goals and points, so the brain trust better get the formula right or we’re out a top 6 winger in Boeser, and top 9 in Pearson.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Rutherford just did a 30 minute interview on Sportsnet 650 Vancouver.

Firstly, he made it abundantly clear... The Canucks will not be trading any major pieces ala Miller/Boeser as long as the Canucks are in the mix for the playoffs.

It really sounds like the Canucks are leaning towards not doing their major roster surgery until the offseason. This is a smart move to me as I believe if they wait until summer, the auction for Miller would grow 2/3x more with interested teams. Canucks can also allow a potentail trading team to negotiate a new contract with Miller which will boost his value even more.

Of course all this can change if and once:

1. The Canucks fall out of the race, if they havent yet already
2. They get an offer they cant refuse

As for what the Canucks are looking for at the trade deadline or in the off-season

Rutherford was very clear on what he wants the identity of the Canucks to be. Speed and Skill. He was asked why he prefers that over Size and Brute, he mentioned in a perfect world he would have it all but he believes that the game has trended towards speed and skill. He also mentioned he doesnt just want speed skaters on the team that cant actually think and play hockey which is why the skill part is important with the speed.

Rutherford also mentioned something interesting:

- He believes the forward group is an "Average Skating" group and relies on a couple of players to create offence. He mentioned this is not what he wants. He wants to get faster and more skilled and have a more balanced attack and use that speed t create puck pressure.It really sounds like he is going to shake the forward group up.

- More surprisingly, he mentioned that he believes the D-core he has is something " he can work with" He mentioned building around Hughes and OEL.

- It sounded like Rutherford believes the Canucks arent competing until 2024 and he will be making trades now that reflects that time frame.

To Summarize

- Miller/Boeser any big fish not getting moved until Canucks are out of playoff race
-Rutherford does not like the skating abilities with the Canucks forward Group (uh oh Boeser)
- In a trade Canucks want young players with Speed and Skill and or draft picks
- In a big trade, Canucks might be prioritizing a young speed/skill Forward as the main return as Rutherford really sounded dejected by the Forward group where at least he said the Dcore is something he can work with

Kinda funny when blatantly asked what Rutherford thought of the team after 2 months into the job. He mentioned something along of the lines of :

" We are not good but our Franchise Goalie hides alot of our shortcomings"

Trader Jim about to cut loose!
So he just lowered the value of the forward group he's looking to trade by saying they are slow

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Would be so nice to have a GM who prioritizes speed and skill

If you look around the league:

Colorado
Tampa
Minnesota
Florida

All play fast and skilled hockey. GMs who don't want to go this route should be out of a job

they also have size and can play fast and physical Avs a little less

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
As a neutral fan, it seems to me the Canucks have a great core, and it's their lower-end players that aren't good enough and are making too much, and they should do less tinkering, not more. Don't load up this year, but quit selling shit off for picks and prospects.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Better to trade Miller now. Not the summer. You trade him now and the team has him for two playoff runs. Wait until the summer you will get less.
Sometimes, yes. I think the thought process is if you wait, you might be able to trade him to a team that can actually re-sign him and one Miller wants to stay on. Contenders right now will have a hard time keeping Miller beyond next season. In the off-season it gets a little easier to manage, especially when you can negotiate and have a little expectation on what the future holds for Miller. It's still risky for sure. Injuries happen, teams move in a different direction if they had an ugly playoff run, and GM's go spending as soon as free agency starts. I don't think the difference between now and then is going to be something Vancouver can't pass up while waiting to see if they can actually make a push this season.

From what Rutherford laid out, maybe the target isn't Schneider from NYR.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Nothing we didn't already know. For at least the past 4 seasons, we've been blessed with great goaltending that's been bailing out sorry asses

JR who seems to be our "GM" right now, literally said the same thing when Mike Gillis came in back in 2008. How the team depended on Luongo too much and it wasn't fair for Luongo to have to bail out the team night in night out. He also said he wanted our team to get "faster" and of course we re sign the Sedins. I think some of us are taking the he wants "fast" players out of context. Jim Benning also said he wants fast players.

I believe JR wants to at least respect the "players" will to want to try to push for a playoff spot, all while not hesitating to pull the trigger if something that is to good to turn down comes a long. Right now he will let the players (team) decide at least this season, which is fair for the group all. If it doesn't look to good he will probably move somebody.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't think you can read anything too much into JR's comments. He's not a completely open book like the last idiot was. It's all negotiation tactics.

He said the defense is average. He might as well as said they sucked, but no manager is ever going to say that. He's not going to post a list of the garage sale 7 and wonder why no one wants to trade for them.

dman34

May 6, 2011
Does he honestly think they are still in the playoff race? They're already like 5-6 points out. The Pens won like 20 of 22 games and only moved up like 2 spots at the time. Not being a seller at the deadline would be a mistake by Rutherford

Posturing

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Or he gets injured and you are screwed. To me it’s not worth the risk of holding on to him until the off-season for maybe more teams being interested. 2 playoff runs bs 1

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
As a neutral fan, it seems to me the Canucks have a great core, and it's their lower-end players that aren't good enough and are making too much, and they should do less tinkering, not more. Don't load up this year, but quit selling shit off for picks and prospects.
I agree with you. The only tricky part is rejigging that blueline. It's a lot of money to try and move. But with a couple of savvy moves I think this team could be competing as soon as next season. Maybe not a contender, but as the start of being a perennial playoff team again. It sucks if you know Miller doesn't want to stay cause he'll be tough to replace.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I would hate to be a canuck right with Rutherford and Co leaking names of players being shopped

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Going to reserve my judgement until we see a few moves made. At least he’s keeping things closer to his chest, unlike last regime… and then wondering why no one wants our trash/ ran out of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So he just lowered the value of the forward group he's looking to trade by saying they are slow
Yeah, because it has been a complete secret that the Canucks forwards are slow. Other teams have never been able to watch tape on the Canucks to determine this themselves :sarcasm:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Allvin is big brained right now. Miller will get dealt. These rumours about Boeser and others are just to make it seem like Miller is getting held on to so Canucks are in a position of powerf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad