Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
As I have said in the past never believe anything that comes out of the mouth of any perspective draft pick until they have signed their elc, they have been coached to say exactly what any fan base wants to hear. He didn't want to play for this team in this city and in the end he got his way and frankly doesn't give a shit what we think of him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
McIntyre's quote was "We did get snowed."
Yup. I just listened to it. McIntyre went down to Michigan to meet with McGroarty and his family for a series of stories and he says that he thinks that he got a lot of false or misleading information.

With the benefit of doubt, it is possible that McGroarty's misgivings about playing in Winnipeg might have intensified over time and perhaps his representatives saw that he was getting more leverage to work his way to another team as he developed into a good prospect. But it was pretty crappy to leave it out there with the media and the public that the fault was the Jets for not providing a good development pathway for him.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
As I have said in the past never believe anything that comes out of the mouth of any perspective draft pick until they have signed their elc, they have been coached to say exactly what any fan base wants to hear. He didn't want to play for this team in this city and in the end he got his way and frankly doesn't give a shit what we think of him.
No doubt. It makes you wonder why they bother with the pre-draft interviews. If I were a GM in a smaller / less desirable market, it would be pretty maddening to have a player and his family say how much they'd love to be drafted, and then turn around and look for a way out after a team has burnt a high draft pick on him.

Since high draft picks are such an important asset, you wonder whether the collective bargaining agreement could be tweaked to give teams a bit more protection, while ensuring that players are treated fairly.

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
No doubt. It makes you wonder why they bother with the pre-draft interviews. If I were a GM in a smaller / less desirable market, it would be pretty maddening to have a player and his family say how much they'd love to be drafted, and then turn around and look for a way out after a team has burnt a high draft pick on him.

Since high draft picks are such an important asset, you wonder whether the collective bargaining agreement could be tweaked to give teams a bit more protection, while ensuring that players are treated fairly.
I think we are going to see more and more of this in the coming years, player will act all giddy that he got drafted and say all the right things but when push comes to shove if they don't want to play for the team that drafted him his agent will go to work.

Reactions: hockeyarena

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
McIntyre with a full-throated take-down of McGroarty and his family, basically saying that they pulled the wool over the eyes of the Jets and media (including McIntyre). He even related a story about sitting with McGroarty's mom who told him how great the Jets had been, from Chipman down to Jimmy Roy (who was with him in the hospital after his rib / lung injuries).

Basically, the consensus seems to be that McGroarty and his agent duped the Jets and the media. What I really think is low is that they somehow left an impression that the problem was that the Jets wouldn't provide McGroarty with a good development pathway, which led to all sorts of brick bats for Chevy and the Jets' organization. Really, really bad look for McGroarty and his agent.

It's notable that Brisson is PLD's agent, too. Remember how it seemed that PLD was happy to be in Winnipeg at the start. My guess is that they used Wpg to get PLD out of Columbus and then worked on leveraging Chevy to get to another destination of his choice (probably LA or Mtl). Brisson is the most powerful player agent, but I wonder if he's developing a bit of a negative reputation with some GMs.

Thanks. Yeah the kid isn't coming off looking good. As I said his performance last summer was worthy of an Oscar. What a complete fraud he turned out to be.

But you know what karma is hitting some of these players that pull these stunts. LA had no issue shipping Dubois out one year after landing in his preferred spot. My guess is teams will start to respond in kind to these wishy washy players and become pretty cutthroat.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Since historically veteran players are much more likely to bargain away the rights of future players rather than their own more team protection for draft picks actually could happen.

Reactions: ps241 and Buffdog

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

It happens to other teams as well , Fox on Calgary , Cutter on Philly just to mention a few lately . The only thing about this that pisses me off is that it got made public , and it's the fricken agents who seem to make it public .

Askarov from Nashville just got traded to San Jose because his agent made it public he would not resign with Nashville to play in the AHL again . It happens all the time it's just shittier when it happens to your team .

I do like McG better but Chevy did well under these circumstances .

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
It happens to other teams as well , Fox on Calgary , Cutter on Philly just to mention a few lately . The only thing about this that pisses me off is that it got made public , and it's the fricken agents who seem to make it public .

Askarov from Nashville just got traded to San Jose because his agent made it public he would not resign with Nashville to play in the AHL again . It happens all the time it's just shittier when it happens to your team .

I do like McG better but Chevy did well under these circumstances .
It's crazy to think that Kane wanted out of winnipeg from day 1 but even signed an extension here and waited patiently for Chevy to deal him without kicking up a public fuss - all while giving 100% on the ice

It's a sad f***ing world when we're reaching a point where we are using EK9 as an example of how to act professionally as a young pro

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
It's crazy to think that Kane wanted out of winnipeg from day 1 but even signed an extension here and waited patiently for Chevy to deal him without kicking up a public fuss - all while giving 100% on the ice

It's a sad f***ing world when we're reaching a point where we are using EK9 as an example of how to act professionally as a young pro
Kane day one: 'Holy fk get me out of this frozen hellhole'

Kane day ten: 'Holy fk these transcona chicks will do ANYTHING.'

<speed dials agent>

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
It's a good point. McGroarty plays a physical game along the boards and works hard, but he doesn't play a physically intimidating game. He'll be able to win puck battles and maybe hold position around the net more than smaller players, though. I do think good teams have to have a good mix, but good teams are built on a foundation of skill and supplement their skilled players with complementary players that can play other roles.

Well, Chevy wasn't reluctant to say that McGroarty told him that he basically just didn't feel like playing for the Winnipeg Jets, as soon as he put on the jersey for Development Camp. I think that's a worse look than making it about whether he wants to play in the AHL or NCAA next season. It sounds like more of a Cutter Gauthier situation, where the player just didn't want to play for the team that drafted him. That's the gist of what Chevy related.

^^ his “my favourite team growing up was the winnipeg jets” comments were complete bs

He fooled a lot of us

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Wonder if they will ever try and get the college loophole closed... Granted anyone can refuse to sign but at least you still hold their rights for a good portion of their potential NHL careers.

I guess the question then becomes do you want a player playing for you that doesn't want to be there?

But on the flip side how do these kids even know what it's like to play for a team before even lacing up for a single game? Winnipeg could have been the absolute perfect fit for McG but we/he will never know. Why not sign, work your ass off and if things don't work out, ask for a trade or pull a Trouba and make your way to free agency as soon as possible.

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
by the time Yager is an NHL regular, which is what 2 years from now (assuming this year CHL, following year AHL), he will put on a bit of muscle & get his maturation weight. impossible to predict how much, but 180ish lb at 5'11-6'0 is pretty average for NHL fwds. If he was small and slow/poor skater that'd be a concern for sure, but it seems like most reports put him around pretty good and a a couple here and there average at worst (haven't seen one that says weak).

at the 2023 combine yager was 5'11 170, barlow 6'0 195
at the 2022 combine rutger was 6'1 204 , lambert 6'0 180

no idea what the 2022 are at now. you can use their heights/weights now as some sort of estimate in growth on Yager. but it's all ridiculous predictions exercise.

i do agree the current Jets fwd group is soft though, they were also slow and not built for the POs speed and tenacity.

but height and weight should not be a limiting factor on Yager in the NHL.
Just for a point of reference: Avg centre height is 6'1, weight is 197 lbs (2023).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just for a point of reference: Avg centre height is 6'1, weight is 197 lbs (2023).
I wouldn't limit it to just centers at this point. He may very well be more suited on the wing. It's not uncommon especially for prospects around his draft range.

Fwds around 5'11-6 are around 186-190lb according to natural stat trick. Is that really not feasible in a few years? :dunno:

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I wouldn't limit it to just centers at this point. He may very well be more suited on the wing. It's not uncommon especially for prospects around his draft range.

Fwds around 5'11-6 are around 186-190lb according to natural stat trick. Is that really not feasible in a few years? :dunno:
Could he hit 190, sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240823_191600_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20240823_191600_Chrome.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240823_191615_Chrome.png
    Screenshot_20240823_191615_Chrome.png
    466.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Let's just double check how the guy who he was traded for sounded like upon arrival... :sarcasm:
All we can do is go by what the guys say right, I mean I liked Rutger also. Rutger is a very good prospect also, no question.

Can’t wait to see him play and practice. I’m excited by what I’ve seen and heard about Brayden, hopefully he has a long successful career here.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Coles notes version please.

Sorry I’m late to reply @surixon
Someone may have replied already but I’m still catching up here

Essentially McIntyre said even he was “bamboozled”, sat down with McGroarty’s family who had nothing but glowing things to say about the Jets organization. Apparently both Rutger and his mom appreciated how close their relationship was and how much the organization cared for his wellbeing. After Rutger got injured, it was appreciated how Chipman even reached out to both Rutger and his parents to wish him well, the Jets development guy was even staying with Rutger in the hospital

Basically nothing but glowing comments about the Jets organization

In that context, very sad how Rutger approached the situation saying “it never felt right” from Dev camp last year. Just a straight 2 faced chump.

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
McIntyre with a full-throated take-down of McGroarty and his family, basically saying that they pulled the wool over the eyes of the Jets and media (including McIntyre). He even related a story about sitting with McGroarty's mom who told him how great the Jets had been, from Chipman down to Jimmy Roy (who was with him in the hospital after his rib / lung injuries).

Basically, the consensus seems to be that McGroarty and his agent duped the Jets and the media. What I really think is low is that they somehow left an impression that the problem was that the Jets wouldn't provide McGroarty with a good development pathway, which led to all sorts of brick bats for Chevy and the Jets' organization. Really, really bad look for McGroarty and his agent.

It's notable that Brisson is PLD's agent, too. Remember how it seemed that PLD was happy to be in Winnipeg at the start. My guess is that they used Wpg to get PLD out of Columbus and then worked on leveraging Chevy to get to another destination of his choice (probably LA or Mtl). Brisson is the most powerful player agent, but I wonder if he's developing a bit of a negative reputation with some GMs.

^ far better than my version lol

Thanks @Whileee

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Look forward to seeing our newest prospect in TC.

Mc Groarty may have got his ticket to the NHL by joining the oldest forward group in the league. Cody Glass looks to be the 2nd youngest player on that team. If the Pens suck, and they very well could, it should be the end of the Crosby era, so they may be looking for a new captain down the road.

I'd like to know from those who watched Jager play, if he will make the NHL as a centre. Lambert for sure projects to be a centre, and with the development path he has taken, it might be this year or next. Nice to have another down the pipeline, because Scheif and Lowry have been here a long time, and their careers may change course in the next couple of years. But this team could also be looking for a replacement for Ehlers as early as next season, not to mention KC's future probably has a limited warranty too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Look forward to seeing our newest prospect in TC.

Mc Groarty may have got his ticket to the NHL by joining the oldest forward group in the league. Cody Glass looks to be the 2nd youngest player on that team. If the Pens suck, and they very well could, it should be the end of the Crosby era, so they may be looking for a new captain down the road.

I'd like to know from those who watched Jager play, if he will make the NHL as a centre. Lambert for sure projects to be a centre, and with the development path he has taken, it might be this year or next. Nice to have another down the pipeline, because Scheif and Lowry have been here a long time, and their careers may change course in the next couple of years. But this team could also be looking for a replacement for Ehlers as early as next season, not to mention KC's future probably has a limited warranty too.

From the couple games I've watched he plays like a center and not like a winger. I'd imagine the Jets will develop him as a C. To me he projects better there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad