Confirmed with Link: Rutger McGroarty to Pittsburgh for Brayden Yager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Uppercut

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Scouting report his draft year...

Yager is a player with a pro-style game. He plays with a lot of speed and energy, showing the ability to carry pucks up the ice and make skilled plays with pace. He’s not the biggest center, but Yager plays hard, showing a commitment to making plays without the puck and winning a lot of battles even though he’s not overly physical. His main offensive weapon is his shot, which is high end due to his great technique and accuracy, but he does have the slick hands and vision to beat defenses in other ways. He didn’t score goals this season like I thought he would with his shot, but I believe he will in future seasons. At his size there will be questions about whether he’s an actual NHL center despite his skating and effort. My comparable for him is an NHL wing, reflecting the risk in his projection at that position, but I see a reality where he turns into a Vincent Trocheck type.

another one...

He’s a natural scorer and creator who plays a direct style, but he’s also got plus vision and deft touch (though I wouldn’t say his creativity is necessarily a strength). I like the way he supports the puck defensively as a centreman, too, though he’ll need to get stronger to be as reliable defensively at the NHL level as he is in junior. He is very intentional with his routes, offensively and defensively, which should help him stick at the centre position long term. I don’t think he’s going to become the kind of star you’re hoping to get out of a top-10 pick, but he’s got 2C, PP1 upside if he can fill out his frame and continue to add dimension.
Considering he's a RS centre prospect, if he approaches any of Little, Wyatt Johnston or Robert Thomas in terms of growth of his game, I'd be thrilled. Obviously Thomas has grown into a PPG+ player for the Blues, so that would be an absolute dream. But Yager's junior stat profile and his frame and skillset are near to these three players.

I also don't mind the Trocheck comparison either.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The guy sounds like one hell of an actor. Seems like he was front and center and all the rage that camp in his positivity and interactions with fans.

Might want to consider a career switch.
I made a post a while back at the start of this that the amount of enthusiasm he showed at dev camp couldn't be fake unless the kid was a sociopath

Know we know

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
His pre-draft rankings varied quite a bit. HockeyNews had him 10th overall in one ranking, some had him closer to 20.

One site gave him comparables of Elias Lindholm and Mathew Barzal.
In more recent news, Scott Wheeler ranked him as the 58th best prospect.

"Yager has been on the radar in western Canada for a long time, and he’s got some real pedigree to his profile and cachet to his game to support it. He was the No. 3 pick in the 2020 WHL Bantam Draft. He was the CHL Rookie of the Year (on 34 goals). He was an alternate captain and second-leading scorer at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup. He was Canada’s second-leading scorer at the world juniors. And he has been an alternate captain and one of Moose Jaw’s leading scorers for two consecutive seasons now, which included centering their first line to a WHL title with 49 goals and 128 points in 81 games split between the regular season, playoffs and Memorial Cup this year.

His actual statistical profile is good without being great (it was also helped by a strong 16-in-10 playoffs with the Warriors two springs ago now). Still, he has been a consistent offensive player for Moose Jaw while playing a detail-oriented off-puck game (he’s also a dangerous and active penalty killer and is decent in the faceoff circle).

Yager plays a threatening, attacking game with skill in straight lines and in cutting sequences in transition. He’s got smooth-skating mechanics. He’s dangerous inside the offensive zone from the top of the circles in with a quick-release wrister that comes off of his blade hard and with a slight, goalie-fooling adjustment pre-shot. He’s got good puck skill in congested areas, an ability to attack in bursts and make something happen out of dead plays, and an equal ability to play off of coverage and make himself available as a shooter for his linemates.

He’s a natural scorer and creator who plays a direct style, but he’s also got plus vision and deft touch (though I wouldn’t say his creativity is necessarily a strength). I like the way he supports the puck defensively as a centerman, though he’ll need to continue to get stronger to be as reliable defensively at the NHL level as he is in junior. He is very intentional with his routes, offensively and defensively, which should help him stick at the center position long-term. He plays with jump and pace, using his skating to get to loose pucks and get free in transition. He’s got the smarts and the instincts. I like his work rate. I don’t think he’s going to become a star, but he’s got 2C and PP upside if he can continue to get strong and continue to add dimension."

- The Athletic (July 16, 2024)

By comparison Mcgroatty was 33rd.

"McGroarty’s one of those kids who just looks like a pro hockey player. If he walked into an NHL dressing room tomorrow, he would stand as strong as some in it. Then you add in the charisma that made him the natural choice for the captaincy at the U.S. NTDP and with last year’s gold medal-winning world junior team, and the light and energy that oozes out of him, and you have to be careful not to put too much stock into the off-ice pieces of the puzzle that he already appears to have figured out. But I think he’s a darn good hockey player and the pieces of the puzzle fit together nicely on the ice as well.

He’s a better skater (it doesn’t look the prettiest through his first few steps, but there’s some power when he gets going nonetheless) than he gets credit for and his spatial awareness, reads and effort level help him avoid losing short races. He’s got great hands and feel on the puck as a passer. His finishing touch around the net is there in spades, with a hard one-touch shot that he leverages his strong frame to power through when he gets open in the slot. He has always been a sneaky-good facilitator who passes the puck really well and can hold it.

He has particularly mastered the net drive into a high rotation away from coverage that brings him back to around the net. And then when he gets there, he’s got the strength to shoot from bad postures/off balance. He always seems to put his shots into good locations (along the ice, low blocker, high short side), too. He’s dexterous. He’s a tone setter. I’m a big fan.

The ice normally tilts in his favour, he’s such a smart player, he can score, he works, and he just understands where to be out there and how to put himself in positions to create offense. He has also reinforced his strong statistical profile from the NTDP at Michigan, where he was a point-per-game freshman and played to nearly 1.5 points per game as a sophomore last year despite a pretty severe injury in the fall (a broken rib and punctured lung).

If he can get a little quicker from the jump, he’s got all of the other makings of a legitimate top-nine forward who can play up and down a lineup with a variety of player types. He’s going to have a long career as a second-liner, I’d expect. I think he’s ready for pro, too."

He’s a natural scorer and creator who plays a direct style, but he’s also got plus vision and deft touch (though I wouldn’t say his creativity is necessarily a strength). I like the way he supports the puck defensively as a centerman, though he’ll need to continue to get stronger to be as reliable defensively at the NHL level as he is in junior. He is very intentional with his routes, offensively and defensively, which should help him stick at the center position long-term. He plays with jump and pace, using his skating to get to loose pucks and get free in transition. He’s got the smarts and the instincts. I like his work rate. I don’t think he’s going to become a star, but he’s got 2C and PP upside if he can continue to get strong and continue to add dimension."

- The Athletic (July 16, 2024)

Both are considered Tier 4 prospects. Next year, 23 prospects ranked above Yager will graduate from Wheeler's annual list. Simply treading water this season will have Yager moved up to where Rutger was rated this season in 2025.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sure it's entitled, but I'm not sure he's toxic. I doubt any player on the team was shock by it.

OK, toxic might be a poor choice of words.

But that problem hints to me of other troubles down the line. I'm not sure what makes a player a toxic influence in the room but a 'me first' attitude is a likely suspect.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
those demands came from a random blog lol... we don't know his demands

We don't know anything for certain then.

We heard that he repeated those unconfirmed demands to prospective trade partners too. Also unconfirmed.

All that we know for certain is that he refused to sign with Jets this year and was subsequently traded to Pens, where he signed immediately. Everything else is unconfirmed rumour because we haven't gotten it directly from the horses mouth.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
We don't know anything for certain then.

We heard that he repeated those unconfirmed demands to prospective trade partners too. Also unconfirmed.

All that we know for certain is that he refused to sign with Jets this year and was subsequently traded to Pens, where he signed immediately. Everything else is unconfirmed rumour because we haven't gotten it directly from the horses mouth.
first of all, we heard from one source and I use source very loosely because it was some random fan made blog that for some reason you and another poster want to take seriously that he demanded top6/pp time, the rest of the media said he wanted to play in the nhl

today chevy came out and said he had no conversations about assurances so I do think we can say for certain that that blog was wrong

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
first of all, we heard from one source and I use source very loosely because it was some random fan made blog that for some reason you and another poster want to take seriously that he demanded top6/pp time, the rest of the media said he wanted to play in the nhl

today chevy came out and said he had no conversations about assurances so I do think we can say for certain that that blog was wrong

Fair enough.

That begs the question then of what Chevy's conversations were about, if not assurances.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
ok? has barely anything to do with my post. congrats you copied and pasted hockeydb boxscore stats.

the Pens pool is crap. so he should be #1, just like McGroarty will be if they did a re-vote.

read on actual league-wide prospect rankings, Yager is close to top 70-85 across a few sources , and McGraorty is a bit ahead. that's more informative of their current tier or levels rather than their team ranking.
I referenced the Athletic in my last post. Were you to look at their recent top 100 from just 30 days ago, Lambert is ranked 57th. Yager is 58th.

So were we to place Yager into our boards prospect ranks, it would be 1A or 1B like many here are suggesting.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
chevy said they never had a conversation of any assurances of nhl time

Probably put the jersey on backwards. Felt too snug around the front of the neck, decided to ask for a trade.
I know fans want the truth but Chevy has to keep that between he and the agent/player. He knows the jets are small market Canadian team. Does the organization no good to slam the player.

Definitely something from the player side. These college kids seem to want something.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
he said he was just told "it doesn't feel like" he asked a bunch of questions but couldn't get an answer to why he wanted out
I watched chevys interview and u can just feel his frustration. Imagine being a kid growing up in western canada and just outright refusing to play for the team that drafted you to the national hockey league and giving no reason. Unreal and pathetic, hope we verbally destroy him every single game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
26-27 season...

Barlow Scheif Volare
KC Lambert Ehlers
Rashevsky Yager Loosh
Barron Lowry Chibs

JMo Salmon
Sammy DD
Freij Heinola?

Helle Milic
Agreed, the possibility exists that if Scheifele and Helly can maintain their play into their mid 30's we can have a strong couple years of contention if our young players develop well. We likely need another higher end D prospect unless all of Salo, Freij and Heinola maximize their potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad