Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
That's allot of risk on Laine being a good player again. Otherwise, your giving McGroarty and Iafallo away for a bust.. Might as well take the 2nd rounder compensation if McGroarty walks.

Bear in mind I'm not saying Laine is a bust. Just that there's risk involved
Are you saying that you’s rather take a second rounder for McGroarty instead of getting Laine if they retain 50% salary?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Are you saying that you’s rather take a second rounder for McGroarty instead of getting Laine if they retain 50% salary?

I would prefer McGroaty asset not be involved in this possible trade. I say that having no idea what value that asset currently holds.

Laine is an interesting case study. His value will largely be a function of how much Columbus retains. At 50% he will carry value because he goes from a guy not worth his salary to a guy on a good deal for two more seasons. The second element of risk is health, both physical and mental.

My challenge with the idea is even if he is healthy which is unlikely, it moves us further away from the identity we established in the regular season last year. We ended up with a spectacular 52-24-6 record because of the lowest goals against in the league, driven by a Vezina starter, a .924 back up, and great team defense for long stretches. We also had 259 goals for which was 3rd most in 2.0 history so it’s not like we need more goals. Our goal differential was plus 61 which was insane. We collapsed defensively in the playoffs but I don’t think we should abandon the blue print.

Either way if they make a trade for Laine my give a shit factor is low. I enjoyed watching him in his first two seasons when he was riding an unsustainable shooting % with us, but after that I found him an increasingly frustrating player to watch and I was happy when we traded him.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

I would if Laine doesn't work out ( I.e a repeat of whats happened in Columbus)
Also he has injury concerns. Not something you want to hear with a player who admittedly doesn't train hardcore in the off season. You could argue, Laine is a reclamation project at this point.

I like Laine. I wish only the best for him. But there is risk involved to be gambling your best prospect on him. Laine seems like a boom or bust type of player. I don't see him as wanting to settle with being a 3rd line NHL player. Or wanting to adapt his game for the betterment of his team.

He either regains his magic or I wouldn't be shocked if goes back home or the KHL.

Last edited:

MelikeJets

Feb 18, 2019
Winnipeg
Also he has injury concerns. Not something you want to hear with a player who admittedly doesn't train hardcore in the off season. You could argue, Laine is a reclamation project at this point.

I like Laine. I wish only the best for him. But there is risk involved to be gambling your best prospect on him. Laine seems like a boom or bust type of player. I don't see him as wanting to settle with being a 3rd line NHL player. Or wanting to adapt his game for the betterment of his team.

He either regains his magic or I wouldn't be shocked if goes back home or the KHL.
I would love to have Laine back if Columbus retained 50%. You mention his magic, if that happened in Winnipeg the city would go nuts. I think it's worth the gamble...McGroarty for Laine since Rutger doesn't want to be a Jet anyway. At least Laine brings something to the table now.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I would love to have Laine back if Columbus retained 50%. You mention his magic, if that happened in Winnipeg the city would go nuts. I think it's worth the gamble...McGroarty for Laine since Rutger doesn't want to be a Jet anyway. At least Laine brings something to the table now.
Even at 50% retained, I don't like Rutger for Laine straight up

Right now Rutger is maybe our biggest trade asset (Ehlers with an extension may have more) so I don't like the idea of moving him for a winger full of question marks while leaving holes at 2C and RHD

That said, I'm all for using lesser assets to take a flyer on him if thr price is right both acquisition-wise and retention-wise

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016

If there is enough retention to bring Laine's salary down to between 5.5 and 6 I think the risk for two years would be more than worth it. He is an established NHLer who could be sheltered (i.e. 2nd line, not 1st) in the Winnipeg lineup much better than he was in Columbus. Adding him as the left half-wall trigger man moving FeFe back into the slot on PP1 would perhaps be the magic that group needs. I would take that for the next two years any time over an unknown 2nd rounder in a couple years. I agree completely that Laine is a reclamation project, but I also think that reclamation with him at 26 is still a much better bet than the unknown 18 year old we'll get with that 2nd round pick.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would prefer McGroaty asset not be involved in this possible trade. I say that having no idea what value that asset currently holds.

Laine is an interesting case study. His value will largely be a function of how much Columbus retains. At 50% he will carry value because he goes from a guy not worth his salary to a guy on a good deal for two more seasons. The second element of risk is health, both physical and mental.

My challenge with the idea is even if he is healthy which is unlikely, it moves us further away from the identity we established in the regular season last year. We ended up with a spectacular 52-24-6 record because of the lowest goals against in the league, driven by a Vezina starter, a .924 back up, and great team defense for long stretches. We also had 259 goals for which was 3rd most in 2.0 history so it’s not like we need more goals. Our goal differential was plus 61 which was insane. We collapsed defensively in the playoffs but I don’t think we should abandon the blue print.

Either way if they make a trade for Laine my give a shit factor is low. I enjoyed watching him in his first two seasons when he was riding an unsustainable shooting % with us, but after that I found him an increasingly frustrating player to watch and I was happy when we traded him.
Thank you for the reality check. I was firmly in the good riddance camp with Laine when he was moved, but lately the romantic notion of him coming back has grown a bit.

Hoping that he'll return and be the electric scoring machine he was in his first couple of seasons (and remembering how fun that team was to watch) was clouding my judgement.

Even if his cost was nothing and we got max retention from cbj, we'd still have a player that appeared to be moody (no shade to any mental health issues, purely on ice performance), and put in questionable effort both with conditioning and defensive play.

We need to continue to build on the team play we executed for a big chunk of last year, and figure out how to bring it into the playoffs. Laine moves us away from that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thank you for the reality check. I was firmly in the good riddance camp with Laine when he was moved, but lately the romantic notion of him coming back has grown a bit.

Hoping that he'll return and be the electric scoring machine he was in his first couple of seasons (and remembering how fun that team was to watch) was clouding my judgement.

Even if his cost was nothing and we got max retention from cbj, we'd still have a player that appeared to be moody (no shade to any mental health issues, purely on ice performance), and put in questionable effort both with conditioning and defensive play.

We need to continue to build on the team play we executed for a big chunk of last year, and figure out how to bring it into the playoffs. Laine moves us away from that.

They would have to do a lot of due diligence if they were interested in bringing him back. Laine would have had to have matured and he'd have to be willing to fully buy in. On the flip side the room would also have to be ok with him coming back.

That is a lot of ifs.

I still think there is a player in there if he's dialed in.

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
You're all looking at this wrong. The Laine for Rutger could also address our 2C issue. Laine was running at C in CBJ from what I recall and was doing so adequately. Try running:

Connor-Scheif- Vilardi
Nino-Lowry-Apples

(dont argue you know this is the real 2nd line)
Perfetti-Laine-Ehlers
(Didn't we all want a solid 3rd scoring line?)
Barron-Gus-Nameststnikov

(Iafallo likely has to go back to cbj with McGrorty for cap reasons but id love it if it were Pionk instead)

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You're all looking at this wrong. The Laine for Rutger could also address our 2C issue. Laine was running at C in CBJ from what I recall and was doing so adequately. Try running:

Connor-Scheif- Vilardi
Nino-Lowry-Apples

(dont argue you know this is the real 2nd line)
Perfetti-Laine-Ehlers
(Didn't we all want a solid 3rd scoring line?)
Barron-Gus-Nameststnikov

(Iafallo likely has to go back to cbj with McGrorty for cap reasons but id love it if it were Pionk instead)

Laine was quite poor at center for them and didn't play there much. I certainly wouldn't be acquiring him to play C.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If there is enough retention to bring Laine's salary down to between 5.5 and 6 I think the risk for two years would be more than worth it. He is an established NHLer who could be sheltered (i.e. 2nd line, not 1st) in the Winnipeg lineup much better than he was in Columbus. Adding him as the left half-wall trigger man moving FeFe back into the slot on PP1 would perhaps be the magic that group needs. I would take that for the next two years any time over an unknown 2nd rounder in a couple years. I agree completely that Laine is a reclamation project, but I also think that reclamation with him at 26 is still a much better bet than the unknown 18 year old we'll get with that 2nd round pick.

I sincerely hope that there is a 3rd option out there somewhere.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Well said.

Reactions: ps241

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Laine was quite poor at center for them and didn't play there much. I certainly wouldn't be acquiring him to play C.
I mean asking the guy to suddenly be your 1C was a bit much - but he did drive play... a sheltered role would work. Center is the only way I see a plan for Laine as a Jet - would be a decent stop gap until Lambert is ready but an expensive one.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I mean asking the guy to suddenly be your 1C was a bit much - but he did drive play... a sheltered role would work. Center is the only way I see a plan for Laine as a Jet - would be a decent stop gap until Lambert is ready but an expensive one.

I think it just seems silly to bring him in to play center on a team that emphasizes defense from its centers outside of Scheifele. I honestly don't really see a fit here for him the way he approaches the game.

But if he came cheap enough I could see them biting on him being a scoring winger.

Reactions: Buffdog

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Laine pouted over being on the Jets 2nd line the first time around with the Jets. I don’t see why he would be happy about it now. But to be fair he pouted here, he pouted his whole time in Columbus. He’s not a team player. Winning means nothing to him if he isn’t getting what he wants on a personal level.

If this plan is only better than getting a 2nd round pick then this isn’t a good plan at all. That 2nd round pick is the absolute worst case scenario and very unlikely to happen.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I think it just seems silly to bring him in to play center on a team that emphasizes defense from its centers outside of Scheifele. I honestly don't really see a fit here for him the way he approaches the game.

But if he came cheap enough I could see them biting on him being a scoring winger.
Honestly the best option for Columbus is to bump Chinakov down and play Laine as a top six RW and backup plan if Monahan gets hurt - then hope he comes back refreshed and trade him at deadline - he would have far more value then

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
I'd love to see Ehlers-Lambert-Laine in a year or two...

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Apparently, Rutger has new demands. My source, the lady who sleeps on the Empress Street bike path, says that he now wants to be guaranteed a Stanley Cup ring before he will sign with a team. I questioned her about this saying that couldn't be true, but she pointed out that she was right about Logan Stanley being tall. How could I ever doubt her...:dunno:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Apparently, Rutger has new demands. My source, the lady who sleeps on the Empress Street bike path, says that he now wants to be guaranteed a Stanley Cup ring before he will sign with a team. I questioned her about this saying that couldn't be true, but she pointed out that she was right about Logan Stanley being tall. How could I ever doubt her...:dunno:
What about a Mel Hurtig fur coat instead

Reactions: macmaroon

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Chevy has the leverage. I think he'll exercise that leverage and will sign Rutger to an ELC next summer.

Rutger doesn't want to go back to college now and he won't want to go back to college next year either.

scarbrow

Nov 3, 2016
I'm starting to lean towards we don't see a McGroarty deal until the deadline.
Not a deadline deal simply for the fact the acquiring team can't sign him while he's still playing NCAA season.

Chevy has the leverage. I think he'll exercise that leverage and will sign Rutger to an ELC next summer.

Rutger doesn't want to go back to college now and he won't want to go back to college next year either.
Especially if he has a not so steller year that could reasonably happen without some of the players they had who aren't returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium