Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Or Beck at 14 (huge reach, but so what?) and Lambert at 30.

He was hardly unknown having just captained the US team to a silver in the U18, scoring 9 pts in 6 games.

Did you speak up at the time to criticize the pick?

Prior to the recent drama about playing time and roster spots, is there anyone on the planet who would have thought McG for Beck would have been good value?
Yup…I’ve been against the pick since day 1

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If Salomonsson is THAT good... if Ville has to fall for him to rise we will all take that trade off any day.

Don't want to be unfair to Elias but if he beats Colin Miller and Ville out of a job, sky is the limit for him 5 years from now
Trueeee is just interesting to think about how it's going to all shake out

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Trueeee is just interesting to think about how it's going to all shake out
If Salomonsson is able to beat out Miller and the rest of the roster competition? At his age? that's IF...

We might as well be playing him with Morrissey at that point because that will be easier than any other role he could have on the team.

At the very least it wouldn't be long before DeMelo or Pionk would be on the 3rd pair.

There is a really big ripple effect if he is ready.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
It would really be about what happens to Miller. Salo might be able to make the NHL this year but I doubt he starts above 3rd pair. I don't see Miller playing 2nd pair so he gets bumped.

But then there is the overflow. Heini should be 3LD this year but I doubt they go with 2 rookies on 3rd pair. So Heini gets bumped to the PB and Stan draws in.

I like the idea of Miller mentoring Heini. I don't see Stan as an ideal mentor for Salo.

Ideally Salo would be up to taking a really big step and playing 2nd pair with Snerg. Retain salary on Pionk and someone would take him. Maybe some team with an early season injury issue.

Maybe it works to start Salo in the A. Let him adjust to the smaller ice while looking for a landing spot for Pionk. Bring Salo up as soon as Pionk can be moved.

That is probably all pie in the sky. Salo probably spends the full season in the A.

Patience Grasshopper.
Tues announcement:
McGroarty to Mtl
Beck + 1st to Jets.
It's funny how many people want to trade Pionk but is anyone aware that Dylan Samberg who he basically mentored into the league is one year from UFA at the end of this season...dump Pionk does Samberg stay?...imagine that Logan Stanley has a longer term as a Jet than Samberg...that possibility exists. Samberg is definitely underpaid for the expectations of a top 4 d-man that he is being asked to fill this year...one to watch.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It's funny how many people want to trade Pionk but is anyone aware that Dylan Samberg who he basically mentored into the league is one year from UFA at the end of this season...dump Pionk does Samberg stay?...imagine that Logan Stanley has a longer term as a Jet than Samberg...that possibility exists. Samberg is definitely underpaid for the expectations of a top 4 d-man that he is being asked to fill this year...one to watch.
Definitely a factor I had not considered.

But it is what it is, Pionk by the numbers is a big negative compared to his cap hit.

Hopefully him and Dylan together do well this year

Reactions: voyageur

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I'm hoping that we steer clear of US collegiate players going forward unless they are elite and obvious bpa.

Have tough time signing UFAs and with NTC/NMCs, now if US college players (who are what like 30% of the draft class in the future?) are something the Jets shy away from then that's a tough way to run a franchise (and I assume this is in addition to Russian players who'd also be on the "avoid drafting" list for similar reasons).

Reactions: Buffdog

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
What do you think of Samberg? He was a 6/7 guy for a couple of seasons before moving up.

Heini hasn't impressed you - yet. Lets wait and see what happens.
Samberg has had a steady progression and started with a base of you know, playing defense. If you can't defend you can't play. Prove me wrong Ville, I hope you do.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It was a surprise for me at the time, as I wasn't expecting McG to be selected at 14. But I warmed up to the pick following his 1st interview after being selected.

Now I'm souring on him as a selection. I don't think it's him persay calling the shots, but think he's received some very bad advice.

I'm expecting he'll go the Trouba route: we'll short term bridge him until he's a year out then move him for the best return possible. But we'll see what happens.

He's gone from my favourite prospect to my least favourite prospect. :laugh: But the pick was excellent.
I really don't know who is calling the shots. I suspect his father, but just based on appearances. The behaviour doesn't match what we had seen of Rut b4 and I don't think an agent would behave that way. An agent would know that poisoning the water only reduces their chances of getting what they want.

I don't know what to expect now. Will he really be willing to spend another 1 or 2 years in NCAA before beginning his pro career? Or will he realize it is costing him $$$ and sign before TC?

I just had a thought about him signing with Jets, if/whenever that might happen. If he is signed, all of the BS about guaranteed roster spot, TOI, usage, etc goes away. If I'm Chevy I offer very strong bonuses, etc to get him to sign. With a big bonus package he could make a lot of $$$ by signing. Then I seriously shop him as soon as he is signed. Send him to one of the teams that would be most likely to play him. But he no longer has a say in which one or under what circumstances. Maximize the return and move on. Even if he signed tomorrow, the relationship would always be difficult.

Yup…I’ve been against the pick since day 1

Fair enough. But saying he was an unknown and implying he was some sort of big reach is just not accurate.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Samberg is 1 year from RFA, 2 years and another contract from UFA. Keeping or not keeping Samberg is not connected to keeping Pionk.

Pretty sure Snerg will be offered a fair contract after this season. If he wants to walk himself to UFA, trade him.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Samberg has had a steady progression and started with a base of you know, playing defense. If you can't defend you can't play. Prove me wrong Ville, I hope you do.
Yeah Samberg strengths and simple game translate better to a 3rd pair role than Heinola's.

Same thing with Chisholm and Heinola a couple years ago.

Young offensive defensemen pretty much need to be top four or they inevitably get scratched.

Ville has great potential but he needs to simplify some things to be the best version of himself

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
I don't usually post messages about rumours, but I have it on good authority* that Rutger McGroarty is now demanding to have his face on the Golden Boy, for all of Manitoba to see...

Rutger-new-demands.jpg

Forget about it kid. Besides, we can all see his shortcomings...:sarcasm:

* I heard it from the lady who was sleeping on the Empress Street bike path this morning when I rode past. It was the same lady who told me Logan Stanley was tall, so that's gotta mean the demand is true, right...:dunno:

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
I have been following McG on instagram since he was drafted. I would compare his social media presence to that of pld, but much more active. I think some of us have confused charisma with character. He definitely has the former, not many signs of the latter. He has done himself a disservice here. Trade value falling, teams dont want to trade for a problem. However, Chevy has proven there is one sucker born every minute. 🤞🏼

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have been following McG on instagram since he was drafted. I would compare his social media presence to that of pld, but much more active. I think some of us have confused charisma with character. He definitely has the former, not many signs of the latter. He has done himself a disservice here. Trade value falling, teams dont want to trade for a problem. However, Chevy has proven there is one sucker born every minute. 🤞🏼
This is a great point. Some of the most charismatic people I've known have had huge character flaws. I think Chevy still ends up moving him this summer. I can't see this kid willing to go back to the NCAA at this point, especially on a depleted NCAA team with no WJC possibility to boost his profile. I think Chevy moves him to a bottom feeder where he won't be promised playing time, but enough of a wink that he believes he will get it.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
There are many ranking services out there. HockeyProspect.com had McGroarty at 11 and Lambert at 29. I was stoked to get each of them where we got them.

Yeah there are many so many prospect ranking services, twitter analysts etc that make lists.

After the top-10 or so it varies so much really. You can find a ranking of Rutger in the late 20s just like you can find him in that mid-teen range.

Reactions: Buffdog and Huffer

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Yeah, Stanley and Samberg both got to be sheltered to all hell playing extremely weak conpetition while playing on their strong side with a good vet. We'll see if Ville ever gets that opportunity. Hope he does so he can see what we have, and we can only do that if Samberg is ready to step up into that top 4 comp (which I think he is, just don't know with Pionk as his partner).

In a perfect world Samberg-Pionk play as well as they did early last year. Can play Stanley/Ville-Miller whoever plays best in preseason and in the regular season.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I don't usually post messages about rumours, but I have it on good authority* that Rutger McGroarty is now demanding to have his face on the Golden Boy, for all of Manitoba to see...

View attachment 894918

Forget about it kid. Besides, we can all see his shortcomings...:sarcasm:

* I heard it from the lady who was sleeping on the Empress Street bike path this morning when I rode past. It was the same lady who told me Logan Stanley was tall, so that's gotta mean the demand is true, right...:dunno:
One of the best april fools was when the Sun said they were removing the golden boys genitals to be politically correct

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Yeah, Stanley and Samberg both got to be sheltered to all hell playing extremely weak conpetition while playing on their strong side with a good vet. We'll see if Ville ever gets that opportunity. Hope he does so he can see what we have, and we can only do that if Samberg is ready to step up into that top 4 comp (which I think he is, just don't know with Pionk as his partner).

In a perfect world Samberg-Pionk play as well as they did early last year. Can play Stanley/Ville-Miller whoever plays best in preseason and in the regular season.
I'm hoping for a Ville - Miller bottom pairing out of camp

Has Ville been doing any PKing on the Moose? If arniel wants a lefty on the PK and doesn't want it to be JoMo, I'm worried that he'll start with a Stanley - Ville bottom pair. Not ideal

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Samberg had very good on-ice results with any of the top partners (including Pionk), and he wasn't sheltered in all of those minutes. Also, other D partners tended to do better with Samberg, than without him. The Stanley-Samberg pair was a bit of a disaster in limited minutes, which makes you wonder why the Jets' coaches thought it would be a good idea to go with that pair in the playoffs vs. the Avs.

I think Samberg is ready to take a step forward to play a 2nd pair role, though I'm not sure how it will work out if he gets heavy competition and is paired with Pionk...

1721068472936.png
1721068563985.png

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm hoping for a Ville - Miller bottom pairing out of camp

Has Ville been doing any PKing on the Moose? If arniel wants a lefty on the PK and doesn't want it to be JoMo, I'm worried that he'll start with a Stanley - Ville bottom pair. Not ideal

I know he's PK'd for the Moose regularly, but @ICdave would be the source for how often he does it lately.

Reactions: Buffdog

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I have to say i really hope Chevy takes his time and gets a good trade for McGroarty . Do we really think with what McGroarty is already asking for before he even gets on the ice that if we did cave and sign him and he became a decent player he wouldn't demand way too much money on his first contract anyway? The signs are definitely there that's for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad