Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
He was an unknown when he was picked and was projected to go late 1st early 2nd…Chevy got lucky with how McG developed after the draft… but I still say we should have taken Lambert at 14 and Beck at 30
It's a hard life as a GM when you can make an assessment, get it right and still get called lucky. Luck plays a part in this stuff too I'll admit that.

Maybe it's fair to say we finally got burned by the college UFA risk, that's as far as I'd be willing to go.

Good news is we can likely get Beck and a late 1st for Rutger at this point...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I hated wasting #14 on McG when it happened and haven’t changed my mind once since. Should have taken Lambert at 14 and Owen Beck at 30. Chevy and his drafting talking heads screwed the pooch on this completely.
Now he’s making it hard to trade him with his stupid demands… can’t see a way Chevy wins this one, but he’s done it before so it is possible…just get rid of this brat and move on to addressing our needs
I liked the pick them, and I still think it was a good pick. He's worth more than Beck in a trade today.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He was an unknown when he was picked and was projected to go late 1st early 2nd…Chevy got lucky with how McG developed after the draft… but I still say we should have taken Lambert at 14 and Beck at 30
Not really. A couple of well-known publications had rated McGroarty in the top half of the 1st round. I had suggested him as a potentially good selection at #14 before the draft. Turns out that he deserved being picked around #14 based on his performance since the draft.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Or Beck at 14 (huge reach, but so what?) and Lambert at 30.

He was hardly unknown having just captained the US team to a silver in the U18, scoring 9 pts in 6 games.

Did you speak up at the time to criticize the pick?

Prior to the recent drama about playing time and roster spots, is there anyone on the planet who would have thought McG for Beck would have been good value?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Lambert pick was very similar to the Vesalienen and Salomonsson picks where they were considered one of the top prospects of their class but dropped huge in their draft year.
Let's hope the other two don't follow the latter 🙃

Not really. A couple of well-known publications had rated McGroarty in the top half of the 1st round. I had suggested him as a potentially good selection at #14 before the draft. Turns out that he deserved being picked around #14 based on his performance since the draft.
Yeah I think the McG pick was a good one.

No way to predict his camp was going to go off the rails like this.

I'm hoping that we steer clear of US collegiate players going forward unless they are elite and obvious bpa.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Ves was bad.

I'm fairly hopeful with the other two.

Salomonsson makes the team this year, book it!
God that would be great, but what does that mean for Stan, Heiny and Miller?

I'm fine with dumping Stanley for something, does that mean the other three platoon the bottom pair? Or maybe you find a way to deal pionk but I think there's 0 shot of that happening for a variety of reasons.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Unknown? What?

He was a star on the loaded USA U18 development team, leading them in goals. Bob McKenzie had him ranked 12th OA.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Ves was bad.

Salomonsson will be the victim of waiver eligibility

Maybe he'll get some time as the season goes on but it's not a terrible idea to get him acclimated to the North American style of play and schedule in the AHL at least for a period

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Exactly! This situation is blurring the lines and now people are coming out of the woodwork saying he shouldn’t have been picked where he was. He was who I was hoping for so this situation really sucks in my opinion, but I’m not about to say I didn’t want him because of how this has all turned out.

I had more doubts about Lambert with all the negativity and uneven play from him during his draft year. Not afraid to admit that.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I liked the pick them, and I still think it was a good pick. He's worth more than Beck in a trade today.

Yea I liked the pick as well. The Black Book is my go too resource and they had him around that range. I remained pleased with his development path. Obviously, I am disappointed with how things have gone lately but I’m going to wait to see what Chevy is able to do before I get too wound up.

Ves was bad.

Wouldn’t that be a cool turn of events to have a second round pick burst onto the screen in his draft +3 season.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I'm fine with dumping Stanley for something, does that mean the other three platoon the bottom pair? Or maybe you find a way to deal pionk but I think there's 0 shot of that happening for a variety of reasons.
If Salomonsson is THAT good... if Ville has to fall for him to rise we will all take that trade off any day.

Don't want to be unfair to Elias but if he beats Colin Miller and Ville out of a job, sky is the limit for him 5 years from now

Reactions: voyageur and Jet

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It would really be about what happens to Miller. Salo might be able to make the NHL this year but I doubt he starts above 3rd pair. I don't see Miller playing 2nd pair so he gets bumped.

But then there is the overflow. Heini should be 3LD this year but I doubt they go with 2 rookies on 3rd pair. So Heini gets bumped to the PB and Stan draws in.

I like the idea of Miller mentoring Heini. I don't see Stan as an ideal mentor for Salo.

Ideally Salo would be up to taking a really big step and playing 2nd pair with Snerg. Retain salary on Pionk and someone would take him. Maybe some team with an early season injury issue.

Maybe it works to start Salo in the A. Let him adjust to the smaller ice while looking for a landing spot for Pionk. Bring Salo up as soon as Pionk can be moved.

That is probably all pie in the sky. Salo probably spends the full season in the A.

Is it Tuesday yet????

Patience Grasshopper.
Tues announcement:
McGroarty to Mtl
Beck + 1st to Jets.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Fair but to say he was unknown was a huge over statement.
I wasn’t commenting on the unknown part. Was just clarifying your statement… #12 was McGroarty’s pre-season rank. #27 was his final ranking. (Bob McKenzie’s ranks)

So it’s also fair to say his draft stock sank 15 spots from start to end of season.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Salomonsson will be the victim of waiver eligibility

Maybe he'll get some time as the season goes on but it's not a terrible idea to get him acclimated to the North American style of play and schedule in the AHL at least for a period
If he's good enough he will play. That's how the Jets work despite some of the prospect pumpers who think otherwise. Jets and Salomonsson's people are very high on him.

If Salomonsson is THAT good... if Ville has to fall for him to rise we will all take that trade off any day.

Don't want to be unfair to Elias but if he beats Colin Miller and Ville out of a job, sky is the limit for him 5 years from now
Heinola just ain't that good.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

Who cares? A bunch of 6/7 guys don't mean much to me.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wasn’t commenting on the unknown part. Was just clarifying your statement… #12 was McGroarty’s pre-season rank. #27 was his final ranking. (Bob McKenzie’s ranks)

So it’s also fair to say his draft stock sank 15 spots from start to end of season.

Yes - in McKenzie's ranking. Doesn't make him a reach at 14, much less an off the board reach for an unknown. There were lots of other rankings that had him near where he was taken. His development arc since being drafted only had him rising - until signing him went off the rails.

Who cares? A bunch of 6/7 guys don't mean much to me.

What do you think of Samberg? He was a 6/7 guy for a couple of seasons before moving up.

Heini hasn't impressed you - yet. Lets wait and see what happens.

Reactions: Jet

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
If he's good enough he will play. That's how the Jets work despite some of the prospect pumpers who think otherwise. Jets and Salomonsson's people are very high on him.

I hope you're right, because it would mean that Salo takes another big step

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Probably right. Feels like despite his struggles he has finally reached the point where all his best years are ahead of him.

If he never becomes a top four guy it is what it is.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Or Beck at 14 (huge reach, but so what?) and Lambert at 30.

He was hardly unknown having just captained the US team to a silver in the U18, scoring 9 pts in 6 games.

Did you speak up at the time to criticize the pick?

Prior to the recent drama about playing time and roster spots, is there anyone on the planet who would have thought McG for Beck would have been good value?

It was a surprise for me at the time, as I wasn't expecting McG to be selected at 14. But I warmed up to the pick following his 1st interview after being selected.

Now I'm souring on him as a selection. I don't think it's him persay calling the shots, but think he's received some very bad advice.

I'm expecting he'll go the Trouba route: we'll short term bridge him until he's a year out then move him for the best return possible. But we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad