Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'd prefer he earn it in TC before giving him an NHL spot. Doesn't send a good message that a prospect can demand a roster spot before earning it. An opportunity to earn a spot is all he is owed, IMO.
This team usually has everyone penciled in prior to TC therein lies the issue.
What’s the harm in trying him out over some of the other stiffs we seem to covet.
If he’s not ready then he’ll know it and we’ll know it.
He’s not a dumb person, he knows he won’t get a good look.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If there is no room for young guys who are close to ready because vets are holding the spot you need to make room.
Exactly that's why the Kings traded the Jets 3 players. They were going to lose them anyways no room on the roster even Kaliyev now has asked for a trade because he is tried of the PB. They traded away Brock Faber and Sean Durzi too.:huh:
How does Blake still have a job?

Reactions: SCP Guy

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Nice post. I think lots has changed.

Back in the day starting with Scheifele he was given a spot on the NHL roster in his draft +3 season and was probably borderline NHL AHL. He was given every chance, had trouble with balance, but was allowed to play sheltered with Frolik on the 3rd line and develop.

Trouba made the Jets in his draft +2 season (one would assume there were agreements in place that he didn’t want to play in the AHL but who knows), he got the privaledge of proping up Mark Stewart for way toooooo long on the bottom pair while he developed.

Ehlers got thrown in his draft +2 season because of not being able to go to the AHL and they didn’t stick him in the press box for the last quarter of the season while he adapted.

Morrissey was the only asset in this era they slow played, he didn’t make the NHL until his draft plus 4 season.

Connor came out of college after one year and did spend that second season in the AHL but made the Jets in his draft +3 season.

Laine made the Jets for good reason and was an impact player from day 1.

Now it was a bit easier in those days because the Jets were not a playoff team. We were kind of going nowhere fast and we had guaranteed sell outs!!

The landscape now is the polar opposite now.

We are in a win now stage and developing prospects is not like it use to be. One need only look at the handling of Peretti last season to see where the org is at.

McGroarty is the same age as all those other guys I listed above but is trying to break on to a very different squad and getting his fair shake is dubious at best with the Coaches the Jets hire and their mandate.

I will say it again, this is business and he probably doesn’t trust the coaching staff enough to bet on himself.

So it would seem.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
This team usually has everyone penciled in prior to TC therein lies the issue.
What’s the harm in trying him out over some of the other stiffs we seem to covet.
If he’s not ready then he’ll know it and we’ll know it.
He’s not a dumb person, he knows he won’t get a good look.
I’m not convinced Jets have everyone penciled in prior to TC, especially with a new coach. TC is the perfect chance for McG, Lambert, Villie, even Lucius to prove they deserve a roster spot. If the Jets don’t give the youth a fair shake I will be as upset as anyone here.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
The chances of him not being able to play 9 min a night on the 4th line are almost impossible…. Yes it would slow his development if he sucked but at least we could still develop him instead of trading his right for pieces.

You trade vets for pieces and make room for young players on a draft and develop team not the other way around. We have lost our way and are sitting on the fence
Is playing 9 minutes on the 4th line best for his development? Or big minutes in the NCAA/AHL with lots of PP time, etc?

Everyone bitches about the Jets moving away from "Draft and develop" but then want to skip the "develop" part lol.

Plenty of guys were rushed to the NHL and it impacted their careers negatively. In this org, Bogo and Burmi come to mind

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Is playing 9 minutes on the 4th line best for his development? Or big minutes in the NCAA/AHL with lots of PP time, etc?

Everyone bitches about the Jets moving away from "Draft and develop" but then want to skip the "develop" part lol.

Plenty of guys were rushed to the NHL and it impacted their careers negatively. In this org, Bogo and Burmi come to mind
I agree but the player and his side do not agree… I’m not saying what the jets are doing is wrong as it is best to let players sit in the A and develop and be 100% ready. But players do not want to wait and we either need to let them play when they are 80% ready or lose a certain portion of high end players who are not interest in that path. Especially with NCAA players this is and will be a huge issue going forward with 1st round picks out of that area.

Do we start passing on 1st round best player available if they are in the NCAA and stick to CHL since it is easier to control the player for longer? Top NCAA players getting paid a bit of money has made this a lot harder for us.

Last edited:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
Let's not forget the Heinola was apparently going to make the Jets last year before breaking his ankle so it doesn't look like the Jets were burying him in the A in favour of more expensive vets.

Also when he was finally healed up and back up to speed the Jets were in the middle of an enormous run of terrific defensive play and wins wins and more wins

Sucks for Ville but what coach would suddenly yank a vet out of the lineup and replace witn youth in that situation ?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Also when he was finally healed up and back up to speed the Jets were in the middle of an enormous run of terrific defensive play and wins wins and more wins

Sucks for Ville but what coach would suddenly yank a vet out of the lineup and replace witn youth in that situation ?

Pete DeBoer.

Pionk was garbage nearly all year and only got promoted. Failing upwards. Can't bench him because it might upset him? Or. . make Chevy look bad?? Stanley suddenly became *the* option again despite it moving the better player in Samberg to his offside and him playing worse. It's not like the entire team was elite all year, it was generally only Ehlers, Perfetti and Schmidt that got punished so everyone else must have been the best possible at their position :sarcasm:.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pete DeBoer.

Pionk was garbage nearly all year and only got promoted. Failing upwards. Can't bench him because it might upset him? Or. . make Chevy look bad?? Stanley suddenly became *the* option again despite it moving the better player in Samberg to his offside and him playing worse. It's not like the entire team was elite all year, it was generally only Ehlers, Perfetti and Schmidt that got punished so everyone else must have been the best possible at their position :sarcasm:.
If you are going to bench him, have someone better at least...how many more games do the Jets lose with Schmidt or Heinola taking a regular turn on the PK...a lot of one goal victories last year...Colin Miller got dropped out of the lineup because he didn't fill that role either...when I read these posts I'd never think we had a 110 points last season, that our coaches were completely clueless as to how to manage an NHL roster...I think Perfetti is the only player who lost his confidence last year, and anybody who has played hockey know that's a tough spot to play from.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
so why are you quoting me exactly? i am not the one who posted the ridiculous stat. i don't think that poster needs a babysitter or you white knighting for them.

ok that's fine and dandy. GAR says Namestnikov is roughly = Connor+Scheifele+Lowry so how's that the proper stat to use? i am not the one decided that GAR is the stat du jour.
It's as though you resent people who engage with you on here. :laugh:

Reactions: MardyBum

James Lahey

Jun 24, 2015
Winnipeg
The most frustrating part of this whole thing for me is this guy was seemingly so all in on this situation of coming to the jets and they botched it this badly. I'm still hopeful they might be able to get this resolved, but if we can't even retain the guys that want to be here then we're in big trouble. I was also finally looking forward to a prospect with a bit more physicality on forward that we seem to miss every year when playoffs come around. Just a brutal situation all around.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I agree but the player and his side do not agree… I’m not saying what the jets are doing is wrong as it is best to let players sit in the A and develop and be 100% ready. But players do not want to wait and we either need to let them play when they are 80% ready or lose a certain portion of high end players who are not interest in that path. Especially with NCAA players this is and will be a huge issue going forward with 1st round picks out of that area.

Do we start passing on 1st round best player available if they are in the NCAA and stick to CHL since it is easier to control the player for longer? Top NCAA players getting paid a bit of money has made this a lot harder for us.
What you're saying is that the Jets should agree to be a worse team to placate 19 year olds?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
What you're saying is that the Jets should agree to be a worse team to placate 19 year olds?
We can do what we think is best to ice the best lineup we can to win every night.

We just need to be prepared for the potential consequences of that are when it comes to drafting high pedigree USNTDP.

Hopefully we can find a fit and come out even better than we would have with Rutger.

He actually has really big value right now I think as he definitely can step into a NHL lineup for any team shallow at wing. Cheap for three full years, and the Jets have already run the clock two years, great play style and has leadership qualities.

He definitely has back half of the top ten draft pick type value.

It's as though you resent people who engage with you on here. :laugh:
My dad once told me "quit trying to get the last word in"

Here I am after all these years still pulling the same shit lol

Reactions: Gil Fisher

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If you are going to bench him, have someone better at least...how many more games do the Jets lose with Schmidt or Heinola taking a regular turn on the PK...a lot of one goal victories last year...Colin Miller got dropped out of the lineup because he didn't fill that role either...when I read these posts I'd never think we had a 110 points last season, that our coaches were completely clueless as to how to manage an NHL roster...I think Perfetti is the only player who lost his confidence last year, and anybody who has played hockey know that's a tough spot to play from.

How would you know who's better if he's never benched or demoted?

When I read these posts I'd never think we had the best goaltending duo in the league by a mile in the regular season and were laughably stomped in the first round.

There couldn't possibly be room for improvement! Anywhere!

Reactions: rkp

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I’m not convinced Jets have everyone penciled in prior to TC, especially with a new coach. TC is the perfect chance for McG, Lambert, Villie, even Lucius to prove they deserve a roster spot. If the Jets don’t give the youth a fair shake I will be as upset as anyone here.
Have you ever been shocked at the final roster after a training camp yet?
Serious question

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Have you ever been shocked at the final roster after a training camp yet?
Serious question

No, I feel like the rosters since day one have been what everyone has expected. I hate the thought of losing Rutger McGroarty. What if he has an incredible season in Michigan? Will the WInnipeg Jets THEN guarantee him a top 6 roster spot? If the Jets idea for players is to have them play in the AHL, then they need to STOP drafting NCAA players who have the advantage of becoming free agents once their college career has concluded. This same thing happened with Nathan Smith who lucky for us has not lived up to expectations.

Reactions: rkp

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If Chicago can guarantee Frank Nazar who was taken 1 spot ahead of McGroarty after he was only a PPG player, 3 inches shorter than McGroarty, and does NOT have the leadership skills of McGroarty then Winnipeg DEFINITELY should find a spot for McGroarty and bend. As I have said before we are most likely going to lose Monahan and Taffoli to FA, and Ehlers is a UFA after this season. We cannot afford to deal McGroarty for some lower tier prospect or a draft pick.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
If Chicago can guarantee Frank Nazar who was taken 1 spot ahead of McGroarty after he was only a PPG player, 3 inches shorter than McGroarty, and does NOT have the leadership skills of McGroarty then Winnipeg DEFINITELY should find a spot for McGroarty and bend. As I have said before we are most likely going to lose Monahan and Taffoli to FA, and Ehlers is a UFA after this season. We cannot afford to deal McGroarty for some lower tier prospect or a draft pick.

Look at the Blackhawks roster when Nazar came in and compare it to the Jets. Pretty sure I had a shot at making the Hawks lineup at the end of the year.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Look at the Blackhawks roster when Nazar came in and compare it to the Jets. Pretty sure I had a shot at making the Hawks lineup at the end of the year.

I dont think Rutger McGroarty or his agent give any concession to that fact. They want Rutger to be earning NHL money instead of a fraction of that in AHL money.

Matthew Poitras was taken in the 2nd round and skipped the AHL with Boston.

Winnipeg is probably going to have holes at the top of their lineup due to free agency, and Winnipeg needs to decide whether losing McGroarty is going to sting more than playing him.

Reactions: rkp and Eyeseeing

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
No I believe these top tier young players are better today than some vets on the team…. But we want to keep them at a low cost for more of their prime years by holding up some of their younger years to try and maximize the asset… This is about playing the cap and not who is a better player, And top end young players are no longer happy to play that game.

Last edited:

Aries56

Jan 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
No I believe these top tier young players are better today than some vets on the team…. But we want to keep them at a low cost for more of their prime years by holding up some of their younger years to try and maximize the asset… This is about playing the cap and not who is a better player, And top end young players are no longer happy to play that game.
I would be very surprised if McGroarty, who's only played college hockey and is projected to be a middle 6 guy at his peak, would step in and be a better, more complete player than anyone currently on the roster.

If you did guarantee these young guys a roster spot, you single them out to everyone else who's told to earn their playing time. It's a recipe for disaster.

I have a hard time believing all these problems are ego and ice time related. I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes he's getting cold feet about commiting 7 years to a non-hub city in Canada. Maybe his girlfriend is studying to be a doctor and he doesn't want to be far from her. :sarcasm:

Reactions: wpgallday1960

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I dont think Rutger McGroarty or his agent give any concession to that fact. They want Rutger to be earning NHL money instead of a fraction of that in AHL money.

Matthew Poitras was taken in the 2nd round and skipped the AHL with Boston.

Winnipeg is probably going to have holes at the top of their lineup due to free agency, and Winnipeg needs to decide whether losing McGroarty is going to sting more than playing him.

Winnipeg also needs to decide if playing a prospect because he demands it is going to sting more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad