Speculation: Stammergeddon 2024: Is Stamkos going to re-sign with the Lightning?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Stamkos going to resign with the lightning?

• Yes

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 24 40.7%

• Total voters

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If you trade Jeannot and cirell you probably can sign Stamkos and duclair
Why the f*** do you want Duclair? The guy was absolutely invisible when we needed him in the playoffs. He's like Miller was when he got moved down here. Just completely coasts by and scores every now and then. But has no drive to do anything else. Like am I taking crazy pills here? What the hell

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Stamkos is pretty limited in his skillset but even so he has a much higher ceiling than Cirelli even if he signs for 1-2m more than Cirelli. A 3rd line C and pker is easier to replace than a 40g scorer. I feel like Hagel evolving into the player he is just seems like a better/more preferred version of Cirelli anyways, an ES beast, elite pker and an offensive producer while coming in at a similar caphit.

Same with Sergachev, we have 2 LHD in front of him who are cheaper and his utilization is being hampered by one of them, makes no sense to hold him over Stamkos who at least serves a PP purpose that's not immediately replaceable.

Considering what all 3 bring, the goal scoring aspect is by far the least replaceable element. Seriously, what are the pros of keeping the Cirelli and Sergachev contracts? Neither players have more upside then downside, both hold very good value on the market and solve our biggest problem at the moment which is cap flexibility.
I hope JBB has let the rest of the GMs know that with the exception of Vasi, Kuch, McD, and Hedman; EVERY other player under contract with the Lightning can be had if they are willing to completely accept that contract in an effort to clear enough space to sign Stamkos.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Why the f*** do you want Duclair? The guy was absolutely invisible when we needed him in the playoffs. He's like Miller was when he got moved down here. Just completely coasts by and scores every now and then. But has no drive to do anything else. Like am I taking crazy pills here? What the hell
Yep. Let Duclair go back to San Jose or to Seattle (which has been rumored). Gotta find a way to make one more trade to clear cap though

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we don’t sign stammer JBB gets one season to show it was the right move. If it’s not, fire him. Success would be def8ned by top 3 in the Atlantic and atleast one series win in the playoffs
Im pretty much almost done with JBB now the Jeannot trade and Sheary signing lol 😂 if Stamkos walks I don’t trust them to sign anyone good in free agency he will try for another 3rd liner dude like a Sheary again

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we lose Stamkos (and I'm now firmly on the side that believes we should try our best to keep him, but IF we lose him) I think Tyler Bertuzzi would be a good target. Probably in the right price range.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Oh my God. Cirelli at 2C for life.

*barf*
I would actually still advocate a Sergachev deal, except now we'd be getting even more for him because we could take 8.5m back (not trying to save money for Stamkos, I mean). So a 2C + a 3rd pairing D. Value is pretty close.

No matter what happens, spending 25%+ of the cap on LD seems like a bad plan.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I would actually still advocate a Sergachev deal, except now we'd be getting even more for him because we could take 8.5m back (not trying to save money for Stamkos, I mean). So a 2C + a 3rd pairing D. Value is pretty close.

No matter what happens, spending 25%+ of the cap on LD seems like a bad plan.
I have not (and may not ever) agree with you more. I cannot stand how thin we are up front. We got Duclair and went on like a .800 tear because we weren't so predictable and lacking in depth. We need Stamkos back *AND* better help at forward. Throw in Jeannot and the options are endless

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Sergachev has done nothing but get better every f***ing year and was our best d-man in 22-23. Proceeds to tear a ligament, then comes back and immediately break his leg, now I have to read this nonsense that he "plateaued" and can't play defense. Some of you are actually insane.

Reactions: Peacefool

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sergachev has done nothing but get better every f***ing year and was our best d-man in 22-23. Proceeds to tear a ligament, then comes back and immediately break his leg, now I have to read this nonsense that he "plateaued" and can't play defense. Some of you are actually insane.
Well. The first part isn't true. He's not getting better every year.

Secondly, I think he's very good. He's just never going to justify his contract in the next two years or so. And we need to put the best possible team on the ice while Hedman is still the #1. There is no way for Sergachev to live up to his contract with Hedman taking the offensive opportunities and McDonagh playing the tougher competition. You just can't have all that money on the left side. One of them is gonna get paid too much to do too little.

Reactions: Rschmitz

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

He can't play with anyone not named Hedman or Cernak. He can't run PP1. He lacks focus until the playoffs. We actually don't get any worse when he's out of the lineup. We need to get over the fact he was so good for his age at 21. He never got better

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'm in the trade Cirelli camp. Stamkos can center the 2nd line and we can get another defensive center for the 3rd line for cheap. Just get some poor man's Kuch to be playmaker on Stammer's line (or Point's) and our top 6 is probably set.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Right now if we didn’t add Mac on defense we would have 12.05 million in cap space right now without moving anyone! If we dumped Sheary and Jeannot somewhere we would have 16.7 million in cap space and wouldn’t be forced to move cernak or cirell JBB screwed up our cap situation.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
It would be interesting if Mac was actually acquired to be part of a bigger deal that totally shakes up the lineup and enables Stamkos to be signed.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
It would be interesting if Mac was actually acquired to be part of a bigger deal that totally shakes up the lineup and enables Stamkos to be signed.
But it’s clear now that there wasn’t a plan by JBB to get stamkos signed with Mac here other then low ball stamkos and hope he comes back. We took on a big contract and now we have to dump contracts to sign stamkos

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

No trade clause and I doubt weaseling out his friend is going to incite him to sign.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we move Sergachev, and McD is a serviceable top4 guy, it's kind of brilliant. I just don't know if we have the stomach to move Sergachev to strengthen the weaker parts of the line up.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Moving Cirelli is.a blunder in favor of keeping a more one dimensional Stamkos. He doesn't return as much as Sergachev will, doesn't provide the cap space Serg will, and is playing a.more vital role in a more shallow position in overall F depth than Sergachev(now that they have McD). JBB seems concerned with morr than just the next 2 seasons as well, as Stamkos continuing to decline outside of the powerplay is far more likely over the next 2-3 seasons. If one has to go it's Serg, as the cap is then there for Stamkos,.Top 4 RD that the team.actually needs, likely a younger F add in the Serg trade, and still possibly enough for another higher than league.min bottom or.middle 6 F add. If JBB won't trade Serg and cam only move Jeannot, hopefully Sheary and Perbix, they can set aside.5.5-6 for Stamkos amd if he says no, it's been a great ride and good luck with your next team. The defense and goaltending should be far improved, so even with lost powerplay scoring, Tampa will be able to add.a very capable top 6 F with that money who will be helpful 5v5. Any of Toffoli, Teräväinen, Duchene, Tarasenko, JAM(and these are just a few names) could be targets and provide top 6 quality play. Yes, Tampa will not be.able to add.one additional middle/bottom 6 F at a more than 2-2.5 type aav(unless.maybe they get Tank or someone closer to 4) and then add a 3 or so million type guy, but that was always going to be the case once McD was committed to as the.big defensive add. Stamkos has been great, but his deficiencies, especially defensively and 5v5, were more evident last season, and keeping him at high cost for his twilight years is.not helping the team win another Cup.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
according to friedman we've been interested in guentzel. interesting how we have no cap space for stamkos but are trying to get even more expensive players. feel like there is a salary clearing move already done and we're just gonna have to wait
Näyttökuva (4).png

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
according to friedman we've been interested in guentzel. interesting how we have no cap space for stamkos but are trying to get even more expensive players. feel like there is a salary clearing move already done and we're just gonna have to wait
View attachment 888442
That's what I'm talking about. We very likely aren't that far away on Stamkos. You could literally trade Cirelli and Sergachev and completely overhaul the farm, roster, salary structure all at the same time while getting one of the better playoff performers you're going to find anywhere. AND we'd have enough room for a bottom 6 signing (maybe even 2) after a Sheary buyout and/or Jeannot trade. We're talking upwards of $20 million in cap space. He is exactly what we need to win a Cup again. Stamkos back at 2C (Paul at 3C) and Guentzel in either of our top 2 lines would be devastating in the playoffs.

Send it.

Pull it off and JFBB ascends to Super Saiyan God

Reactions: Hoek and J T Money

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
That's what I'm talking about. We very likely aren't that far away on Stamkos. You could literally trade Cirelli and Sergachev and completely overhaul the farm, roster, salary structure all at the same time while getting one of the better playoff performers you're going to find anywhere. AND we'd have enough room for a bottom 6 signing (maybe even 2) after a Sheary buyout and/or Jeannot trade. We're talking upwards of $20 million in cap space. He is exactly what we need to win a Cup again. Stamkos back at 2C (Paul at 3C) and Guentzel in either of our top 2 lines would be devastating in the playoffs.

Send it.

Pull it off and JFBB ascends to Super Saiyan God
I totally agree on this.

If we could get Guentzel, it would be an insane boost for our offense. And the guy has proven to be a playoff maniac.
On top of this, by trading Cirelli and Sergachev we should definitely be able to get in return some NHL ready prospects/ELC players to instantly put in our lineup to fill the holes.

Reactions: J T Money

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
That says "wanted" Guentzel. Not "wants." Could be nothing or a typo, but it sounds like he was more referring to us maybe wanting to trade for him the the deadline. Doesn't mean we're in any kind of position to pay his salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad