Rundblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Shutting down silly he-saw, she-saw eye-test arguments with actual data is always poetic. :nod:

It's more like shutting down discussion with spurious data that few have the patience to deal with for the umpteenth time. Lirl, Kane is overrated, but Rundblad is 'great'. Advanced stats must never have seen Rundblad in his own zone. If you want to believe these pseudo-advanced hockey stats, more power to you. But most here see them as severely flawed, especially on the individual level. So yes, it's an argument ender. But not because you proved anything to BobbyJet -- but because it's annoying. The same way people would end the discussion if you started listing the ingredients for blueberry donuts. You want to say Rundblad is serviceable, fine. But to say he's 'great' is silly, and prancing around with worthless data doesn't change that.

H a w k s*

May 18, 2012
It's more like shutting down discussion with spurious data that few have the patience to deal with for the umpteenth time. Lirl, Kane is overrated, but Rundblad is 'great'. Advanced stats must never have seen Rundblad in his own zone. If you want to believe these pseudo-advanced hockey stats, more power to you. But most here see them as severely flawed, especially on the individual level. So yes, it's an argument ender. But not because you proved anything to BobbyJet -- but because it's annoying. The same way people would end the discussion if you started listing the ingredients for blueberry donuts. You want to say Rundblad is serviceable, fine. But to say he's 'great' is silly, and prancing around with worthless data doesn't change that.

It's better than the pointless conjecture that this team needs size and needs more hits. That we hear as well. Runblad has been fine dare I say borderline great in his role as 6th dman. The problem we have absolute hot garbage right now in 4th and 5th slots.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Seabrook is not a problem either? SLOW to loose puck.s..if the NHL kept stats on failures to clear. ...he probably leSs the league...Terrible on speed rushes...fails to stand up at baseline and body stop the rushes...so guys blow right past him. ..look at his plus.minus..awful.compared to his.past seasons stats in that dept. YA think he is not a problem?

Blackhawks26

6 time Cup Champions
Jun 17, 2011
Orland Park IL
Seabrook is not a problem either? SLOW to loose puck.s..if the NHL kept stats on failures to clear. ...he probably leSs the league...Terrible on speed rushes...fails to stand up at baseline and body stop the rushes...so guys blow right past him. ..look at his plus.minus..awful.compared to his.past seasons stats in that dept. YA think he is not a problem?

What about when he defends 2 on 1's better than anybody on this team? What about how he's a constant leader on this team year after year. You only look at the down sides of him, you have 0 regard to what good he does on the ice, you only look to what his stats say.
I'm sure you're the type of person who would rather have Adam Larsson then Seabrook because he has a better +/-.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
It's better than the pointless conjecture that this team needs size and needs more hits. That we hear as well. Runblad has been fine dare I say borderline great in his role as 6th dman. The problem we have absolute hot garbage right now in 4th and 5th slots.

Wrong. The need for more size/hits is clearly an opinion (and one I don't agree with). The pseudo-stats are being used as quantifiable proof of opinions, when that is not the case.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
GMAB! Doubling down on your vendetta against this kid is nuts.

Yes, he made a mistake. Compounded by the fact that the puck deflected off the ref's skate perfectly for the Jets. No one would have anticipated that.

We've see Keith, Seabrook and others make numerous turnovers that led directly to great scoring chances. Does Q bench them? Yeah, it was a weak turnover, but they scored because of the extremely (un)lucky bounce off the ref.

Runblad needs to get better defensively, particularly when there's contact involved. It's not gonna happen when Q benches him.[/QUOTE]

The bigger question is: Will it ever happen? Your born with the stones you have.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Which 'spurious' data are we talking about? Both possession stats and traditional production stats favor Rundblad over Roszival :laugh:

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Which 'spurious' data are we talking about? Both possession stats and traditional production stats favor Rundblad over Roszival :laugh:

When did I ever say a word defending roszival? Rundblad's terrible defensively, and rozy's just terrible.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
The bigger question is: Will it ever happen? Your born with the stones you have.[/QUOTE]

Right. For example, Kruger never got better (with contact, along the boards, in the corner, digging the puck out,...). TT is doomed.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
The bigger question is: Will it ever happen? Your born with the stones you have.

Right. For example, Kruger never got better (with contact, along the boards, in the corner, digging the puck out,...). TT is doomed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Not really sure how TT's name got into the mix..... but Kruger, though he gets manhandled regularly, does not get deterred. He's a pretty tough kid, who keeps coming back for more.

Rundblad, on the other hand, seems to yield to physicality.... and that doesn't cut it!

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
--------------------------------------------------------------

Not really sure how TT's name got into the mix..... but Kruger, though he gets manhandled regularly, does not get deterred. He's a pretty tough kid, who keeps coming back for more.

Rundblad, on the other hand, seems to yield to physicality.... and that doesn't cut it!

Was Kruger the way he is now (hardly a beast, but gritty and effective) 3-4 seasons ago? No.

Runblad had a lost season. The early part of this season he was scratched a lot. He's going to get better.

TT is clearly physically weak. He's shied away from contact on occasion. Do we give up on him too? No.

The point is that it's a process. Guys can improve. I've seen enough good plays from Runblad to have hope. Q needs to play him, not sit him.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
The point is that it's a process. Guys can improve. I've seen enough good plays from Runblad to have hope. Q needs to play him, not sit him.

when he shows the slightest willingness to take a hit to make a play, q will probably sit him less.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Rundblad is 24.5 years old.

He is likely full grown at this point.

He has played 175 games +/- in North America.

He has shown an aversion to corner play to date.

Likely that aversion will not change, what would cause such a change to occur?

He has been able to avoid corner play to this point of his career and I do not know of a player that developed a taste for it at a similar age/stage of career.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Rundblad is 24.5 years old.

He is likely full grown at this point.

He has played 175 games +/- in North America.

He has shown an aversion to corner play to date.

Likely that aversion will not change, what would cause such a change to occur?

He has been able to avoid corner play to this point of his career and I do not know of a player that developed a taste for it at a similar age/stage of career.

87 NHL games played. 17 last season. The guy hasn't really been given much of a chance.

Yeah, he's fully grown physically. But he can get stronger. More importantly, with experience (i.e., playing) he can develop. He's 24.5 going on 22/23, given the number of games he's played. Plus, look at his minutes.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
87 NHL games played. 17 last season. The guy hasn't really been given much of a chance.

Yeah, he's fully grown physically. But he can get stronger. More importantly, with experience (i.e., playing) he can develop. He's 24.5 going on 22/23, given the number of games he's played. Plus, look at his minutes.

Yes, he can get stronger. Is strength the issue? He's 24.5 going on 22/23. OK is 22/23 old enough to see he doesn't like the physical play?

Most, as in 99.9%, do not develop a taste for the corners at the NHL level if they don't have it coming in. In fact , many coming in with a taste for it, lose it at this level.

As Doc Emerick would say, it is not for the faint of heart.

A perfect example for you is Shaw, he's smaller than Rundblad and younger. Just when do you think he developed a liking for the heavy traffic and corners? I'd estimate around 13 or 14 years old.

Last edited:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
he is grown but not a finished product. Still lots of time to work on his strenght. Still Needs more playing time. Still Needs more trust.

He's getting better and better. Next year will be the defining for his NHL career

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
He's as polarizing as stalberg.

Oh come on he's not quite to that level yet. Maybe the Pirri tier?

We need a method of rating players based on BWC's level of hatred and bile towards them. Why isn't there an advanced stat for this yet?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I thought he played decent yesterday...made some solid pinches...not a huge fan of his and would much rather see a veteran in his spot, but hopefully he just does enough to not cost us as that's all you can really ask for your third pair..

Yoko Ono*

I have read this thread and agree with his lack of physical play but you have to look at the franchise that drafted him and their d is the softest in the league hands down. He would have fit in nicely in St. Louis.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Oh come on he's not quite to that level yet. Maybe the Pirri tier?

We need a method of rating players based on BWC's level of hatred and bile towards them. Why isn't there an advanced stat for this yet?

I think he's easily more polarizing than pirri. I don't recall anyone saying pirri looked good/was good, just some people that thought he didn't get a real shot.

Nothingman*

He has been decent at times. But he seems to rebound from benching with good performances. I think Q does that to break some habits or something. Or maybe he just enjoys ****ing with players. But he came back pretty solid yesterday.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Once people start blaming Q for all of Rundblad's troubles and saying how he will succeed away from Q is the moment we start to get into Stalberg level here

Last I recall Q is coaching a contending team in NHL while Stalberg is playing in AHL

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Once people start blaming Q for all of Rundblad's troubles and saying how he will succeed away from Q is the moment we start to get into Stalberg level here

Last I recall Q is coaching a contending team in NHL while Stalberg is playing in AHL

the only reason why Stalberg is in the AHL is because YOU broke the man...plain and simple! blame yourself BWC, you ruined this man...:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad