Rundblad

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
Rundblad is a player that looks like he's less than the sum of his parts. Good mobility, vision, and shot .. but .. just not a good defenseman.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Rundblad simply looks stiff out there ... he makes a fine 5 or 6 dman but I cant see him playing on the PK ... maybe 2nd PP unit

Before everyone puts TVR in the HOF ... he has along way to go as well ... very much a stay at home dman that is not very athletic

Erixon seems odd man out right now

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Rundblad is not going to be a PK type dman but he is a fit with this team as #5 dman who is good on the PP. I think for what we pay him and how he has played we are getting a pretty good deal. It is amazing what a little confidence will do.

LandofLincoln*

future of Rundblad

Where does Rundblad fit into the mix in 2015-16

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
he's our new Leddy. Not good enough defensively for a #4 but he's got some talent on offense and will be a solid #5

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Where does Rundblad fit into the mix in 2015-16

He makes between 700k and 900k and he's clearly an NHL defensemen. He's only getting better with time, and Q seems to be building trust in him (even if, annoyingly, Rozsival can make about 100 mistakes without ice time repercussions, while Rundblad makes one bad play and gets benched for the rest of a period).

Given the price tag, and the fact that Roszival and Oduya are both probably gone next year, I'd say a cheap d-man is worth keeping around. Maybe he plays with Hammer or Seabrook (or hell, Keith, based on the combos Q has been throwing out lately), while TVR and one of the rookies make up the bottom pair that eat up the soft minutes.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Rundblad simply looks stiff out there ... he makes a fine 5 or 6 dman but I cant see him playing on the PK ... maybe 2nd PP unit.

Rundblad is not going to be a PK type dman but he is a fit with this team as #5 dman who is good on the PP.

Of course he shouldn't play on the PK...Rundblad has never been and never will be a PK type of guy. He is a pure offense kind of guy in the style of Erik Karlsson, with better vision and lesser skating.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
he's our new Leddy. Not good enough defensively for a #4 but he's got some talent on offense and will be a solid #5

Leddy is showing in NYI that he's better defensively than most people gave him credit for. Or at least, better than he was given opportunity to show here.

He has GREAT possession numbers, and is producing more points per 60 minutes of icetime than any of the Hawks D, all while facing league average competition and equal offensive and defensive zone starts.

Would have have worked with Hammer given the 2nd pair's current deployment for the absolute toughest minutes? No, deployment of the pairs would have had to change, but given Oduya is leaving next year and isn't playing great this year, Leddy would have probably worked fine as a #4 on the Hawks moving forward.

Ah well. Not every choice is gonna come up roses for Stan.

LandofLincoln*

Sign him for 2 years at a mil per year. Stick him on the 3rd pairing and on the PP.

Bam! I agree PP this year, and give him 2 years. The longer Stan waits to sign him the more he will pay. I think they can get him for a 1m a season.

Slopo

Nov 3, 2011
Leddy is showing in NYI that he's better defensively than most people gave him credit for. Or at least, better than he was given opportunity to show here.

He has GREAT possession numbers, and is producing more points per 60 minutes of icetime than any of the Hawks D, all while facing league average competition and equal offensive and defensive zone starts.

Would have have worked with Hammer given the 2nd pair's current deployment for the absolute toughest minutes? No, deployment of the pairs would have had to change, but given Oduya is leaving next year and isn't playing great this year, Leddy would have probably worked fine as a #4 on the Hawks moving forward.

The issue for Leddy wasn't in the regular season.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
The thing I like about him so far is that he's seemed to continue to improve as the season wears on. I just wish he would get more PP time.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Nice read in here! And nice to see the patience Rundblad has been given at last. Posted about it in the beginning in the season here. He seems to have been given orders to shoot the puck more. That smile you see after his goal today means more than many think. Rundblad is the definition of a player who needs his "comfort zone". And maybe he doesn´t seem to be a good defensive player know, but if he gets his game together to "just" the level he had before crossing the pond he´s gonna get better at that as well. He was then a force over the whole ice, mostly because of his puck possesion, but he could really step up for great hits as well.

As Quenneville seems to be playing this card right here I´m certain Chicago have stumbled acrosse a real gem here. Rundblads last three seasons have been total chaos. In some important years development wise. Last season for example he dressed in only 18 games before the trade in march. Despite being healthy. That´s just crazy bad managing from Phoneix for developing a young talent.

Is Acouin much involved with developing the young D:s? Or is it Kitchen?

Even if I don´t follow the Hawks as I used to when I was fanatic about them in the Roenick/Belfour/Larmer/Chelios 90´s it´s still "my team", so glad Rundblad found his home here.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs

Yeah, Leddy's improved. Happy for him.

In a cap-free world, he might still be here. But reality is that it's a zero-sum game. How do you fit his salary into the cap? (for '15-16 and going forward). Keep Leddy and someone has to go. Who? And don't forget that Leddy is an RFA. Big increase on the horizon, even if he was still with the Hawks (although not nearly as big as what he's gonna get from the Isles).

Trading Leddy was the right move. Getting Pokka for him looks like a great move.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Put Runblad at the point (on the PP) and get Keith off of it.

Runblad is showing he is an NHL d-man. Is he perfect? Of course not. But pair him with a strong stay-at-home guy and his ceiling is a 2nd pair guy (assuming continued improvement). Can be a force offensively and serviceable defensively. At his projected salary, he's a keeper. I expect Stan to re-sign him to a 2 year deal.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
If Van Reimsdyk doesn't come back or comes back and isnt steady, I would assume Chicago would make a move to add a vet defenseman. Rundblad will play 3 minutes a game during the playoffs.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The thing I noticed last night was how heavy his shot was but at the same time how often our forwards were able to tip the shot. Shows that he knows were to put the puck. I would leave Keith on the point and move Sharp to the second unit (maybe I am the only one tired of seeing onetimers from the blue line when he is on his heels).

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Our forwards are just happy to feel safe standing in front of Rundblad shooting from the point. I don't think there's anyone on the team that has the foggiest notion where Keith's shots are going to go, and that includes Keith.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He looks good. Why is he only getting 8-12 minutes a night?

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
He looks good. Why is he only getting 8-12 minutes a night?

Q still doesn't trust him. Rundblad is somewhat mediocre defensively, but Rozsival can be just as bad and get 20 plus minutes a night.

However, his leash does seem to be getting a bit looser lately.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Rundblad got better and better and he still continues to get better.

He needed confidence and trust. The more he gets the better he'll play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad