Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
There is zero reason for the Bruins to move Marc Savard at the cost of a 2nd rounder. They will just keep him buried on LTIR. I also am not sure that the Kings will give up this years 1st to move Richards when they dont have next years 1st. Id much rather see the Flames try and move Raymond, 15th and possibly a 2nd for the Jackets 8th and Clarkson if the Flames are picking up a contract.

I think it's pointless for the Flames to trade up 7 spots to take on a contract like Clarkson's. Would much rather pick up Columbus' 2nd and their 2016 2nd for next year if we are taking on Clarkson's contract.

Either that, or Columbus needs to add their their 2nd with their first so moving up 7 spots isn't as pointless than it should be. Clarkson's contract is bad.

It's only pointless if the player you want at 8 is gone. I wouldn't do the trade that Zirakzigil proposed unless Provorov was on the board. If he was still there, i'd make that deal in a heart-beat! He has the making of being a legit #1D and would allow us to inject a legit bluechip defender 8th overall while just winning a round in the playoffs! Huge for our rebuild!

Edit: I'd do it for Zack Werenski too.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's only pointless if the player you want at 8 is gone. I wouldn't do the trade that Zirakzigil proposed unless Provorov was on the board. If he was still there, i'd make that deal in a heart-beat! He has the making of being a legit #1D and would allow us to inject a legit bluechip defender 8th overall while just winning a round in the playoffs! Huge for our rebuild!

Oh don't get me wrong, the 8th OA is a heck of a lot better than 15th OA. I would even be looking at Barzal with that pick.

I just think that we need to get a little more from the Jackets if they are giving us Clarkson.

Since they have the 34th OA from Toronto (via Bernier, via Gaborik trade), the 38th OA can be expendable.

:cbj
8th OA (Columbus' 1st)
38th OA (Columbus' 2nd)
David Clarkson

:flames
15th OA (Calgary's 1st)
83rd OA (Washington's 3rd)
Mason Raymond

Looking at Clarkson's contract again, I don't even know if that's enough to even pull the trigger. I'd still want Columbus adding a good prospect too, I just absolutely hate Clarkson's contract.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Actually, I don't think we do. Brodie is more comfortable on the right side, Wideman is a RHD and so is Engelland. Brodie-Wideman-Engelland down the right side is a pretty decent right side. If anything we need a mobile LHD to play with Engelland, now the question should be do we target someone to play with Engelland, or do we target someone to play with Wideman and have Russell play with Engelland. I would prefer the latter.

I meant that if Wideman was dealt, it leaves a hole on the right side. Dealing him doesn't make sense, unless we have another right hand dman who can play top 4 coming in.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Also, with Sekera, Green & Franson all on the market and able to be gotten for nothing more than $$$ and cap space the market for Wideman wouldn't pick up for a while.

Forgot about Green, teams won't come calling for Wideman until after him and Sekera are no longer available I imagine.

I feel sorry for whoever pays too much for Franson. (knocks on wood).

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Oh don't get me wrong, the 8th OA is a heck of a lot better than 15th OA. I would even be looking at Barzal with that pick.

I just think that we need to get a little more from the Jackets if they are giving us Clarkson.

Since they have the 34th OA from Toronto (via Bernier, via Gaborik trade), the 38th OA can be expendable.

:cbj
8th OA (Columbus' 1st)
38th OA (Columbus' 2nd)
David Clarkson

:flames
15th OA (Calgary's 1st)
83rd OA (Washington's 3rd)
Mason Raymond

Looking at Clarkson's contract again, I don't even know if that's enough to even pull the trigger. I'd still want Columbus adding a good prospect too, I just absolutely hate Clarkson's contract.

Take out the 83rd overall and I'd consider it. Clarkson's contract would be such a cap anchor though.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Forgot about Green, teams won't come calling for Wideman until after him and Sekera are no longer available I imagine.

I feel sorry for whoever pays too much for Franson. (knocks on wood).
Detroit will sign 2 of those 3.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Take out the 83rd overall and I'd consider it. Clarkson's contract would be such a cap anchor though.

That's why I was hesitant on even pressing enter on this. I was even being nice adding the 83rd OA as mentioned.

If Treliving found a way to trade 45th++ OA for Clarkson and 8th OA, I would be all for it. 8th and 15th OA would give us an opportunity to pick both a blue chip forward and defenseman.

Walking away with Barzal/Provorov/Werenski and Roy/Merkley/Konecny/Zboril would be quite the haul.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's why I was hesitant on even pressing enter on this. I was even being nice adding the 83rd OA as mentioned.

If Treliving found a way to trade 45th++ OA for Clarkson and 8th OA, I would be all for it. 8th and 15th OA would give us an opportunity to pick both a blue chip forward and defenseman.

Walking away with Barzal/Provorov/Werenski and Roy/Merkley/Konecny/Zboril would be quite the haul.

I think that would be the only way I'd be comfortable with it too. Something like two seconds and a mid-level or lower prospect or thereabouts.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think that would be the only way I'd be comfortable with it too. Something like two seconds and a mid-level or lower prospect or thereabouts.

45th OA to get to 8th OA is quite the stretch though.

I would be fine with draft pick trading:

15th OA
76th OA
83rd OA
Raymond

for

8th
34th
38th
Clarkson

Move up in the 1st round and move 3rds for 2nds. I don't know the record for the most picks in a round, but 5 2nd round picks would be quite the show.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Treliving was on Fan 960 and it sounds like he is very hesitant to take on bad contracts now, mainly long term ones though. Saying this because it makes it seem unlikely that the Clarkson contract makes sense.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Treliving was on Fan 960 and it sounds like he is very hesitant to take on bad contracts now, mainly long term ones though. Saying this because it makes it seem unlikely that the Clarkson contract makes sense.

I heard about that too. Just pure speculation on my part.

I think he said he won't take a bad contract that is longer than 3 years, so that pretty much puts the Clarkson/Richards deals to rest.

Semin + 35th OA is something I can see happening.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Clarkson's contract is bad, its not terrible. Hes better then what Jones or Raymond brings and if you are able to move out both or either or in trades Clarkson is a good pickup. He brings a lot of size, is a right winger and can play a middle 6 role. Would he be the ideal pickup for free? No, but to get the 8th overall he could be a serviceable piece.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Makes sense given the news about the cap. Sounds like if the Flames are still interested in cap dumps, it's basically Semin or Ward or smaller names.
This is good, which means no Phil Kessel.

Or Phaneuf. :phew:

I heard about that too. Just pure speculation on my part.

I think he said he won't take a bad contract that is longer than 3 years, so that pretty much puts the Clarkson/Richards deals to rest.

Semin + 35th OA is something I can see happening.

Semin+ 35th for Raymond

That's about as far as I would go.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Clarkson's contract is bad, its not terrible. Hes better then what Jones or Raymond brings and if you are able to move out both or either or in trades Clarkson is a good pickup. He brings a lot of size, is a right winger and can play a middle 6 role. Would he be the ideal pickup for free? No, but to get the 8th overall he could be a serviceable piece.

Disagree. Clarkson brings nothing whatsoever that Jones doesn't, and his contract is indeed terrible. I also wouldn't add Raymond to the argument since you are saying Clarkson can play middle 6 and Raymond will likely be nothing more than a healthy scratch most games next year so that comparison is useless imo. It is better to look at Colborne in the argument since he and Jones are our middle 6 RW'ers. But for arguments sake I still included Raymond.

David Jones - 4mill for 1 more year, 67GP-14G-16A-30P, 125 hits
Mason Raymond - 3.150 for 2 more years, 57GP-12G-11A-23P, 7 hits
David Clarkson - 5.25 for 5 more years, 61GP- 10G-5A-15P, 133 hits
Joe Colborne - 1.275 for 1 more year, then RFA, 64GP-8G-20A-28P, 158 hits

There is no way Clarkson would/should displace either Jones or Colborne from their respective spot. They both outproduced him AND bring more, or similar physicality and size, all while being cheaper. If we take on Clarkson he really ties our hands for the next 5 years. Whereas Jones would be off the books next off-season and if we decide to resign him he will be making less than 4 mill. Colborne is still young and is learning to use his body effectively down low.

In short there is no way I'm paying 5.25 for 5 more years for a guy who has only broke the 30 point mark twice in his career and will be 36 or 37 by the end of his contract. Sure the 8th overall pick would be nice, but you have to consider that our core will be due for raises in the near future. A 5.25 million cap hit may not hurt us right away but towards the end in 4 or 5 years I fully expect our team to be competitive by then and looking to add players to help us with a playoff push, having Clarkson's contract will severely limit our ability to do so.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah I agree. a BIG no thank you to Clarkson. his cap anchor is not near enough to move up to #8, especially if we have to add in our 15th.
There aren't many contracts that I'd take on just because, especially with the news that even the 2016-2017 seasons cap might not even be much higher than it is now.

I say lets keep what we have and just continue. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you do not make.
Only trades I'd be making are for some more RW or D prospects, for some of our tweeners right now.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Would rather Semin over Clarkson. At least Semin can rebound, he has shown he can be an elite player at times. I don't even think Clarkson can rebound from anything. The guy was at PPG 2 seasons ago and only a 0.75 PPG last season. Clarkson dreams he can hit those numbers. Carolina was a disaster this season.

JurassicTunga

Mar 21, 2010
Would rather Semin over Clarkson. At least Semin can rebound, he has shown he can be an elite player at times. I don't even think Clarkson can rebound from anything. The guy was at PPG 2 seasons ago and only a 0.75 PPG last season. Clarkson dreams he can hit those numbers. Carolina was a disaster this season.

Agreed. and Semin had some injury problems this season apparently as well. I was reading the Canes board and in some threads, they say he's actually pretty good defensively and doesn't deserve being labeled as the typical lazy Russian. Not sure. I have no idea about advanced stats, but apparently they are pretty good? Good possession and good at generating offensive chances, shots etc? someone can fill me in on that. His contract is not as long as Clarkson's or Richards.

I'd do Semin & the 35th overall pick in this years draft for a guy like Raymond as mentioned.

4 2nd round picks in this deep draft. :amazed:

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Not a huge fan of Semin (well who is at this point), but if he's an upgrade on Raymond then I guess I would do that deal, although that cap hit in the final year might hurt.

Aug 21, 2014
Agreed. and Semin had some injury problems this season apparently as well. I was reading the Canes board and in some threads, they say he's actually pretty good defensively and doesn't deserve being labeled as the typical lazy Russian. Not sure. I have no idea about advanced stats, but apparently they are pretty good? Good possession and good at generating offensive chances, shots etc? someone can fill me in on that. His contract is not as long as Clarkson's or Richards.

I'd do Semin & the 35th overall pick in this years draft for a guy like Raymond as mentioned.

4 2nd round picks in this deep draft. :amazed:

I would want a bit more than 35th... But if you only get the 35th pick... You have the chance of drafting..Meloche, Bracco, Greenway and Otherspoon...

a73f08854370a044229244383dcee81b.gif

bWo*

I love Semin. He's a two way stud (not last season) and I think he'll rebound nicely on the team. Saddle me up for Semin + 2nd + prospect for Raymond + something small

His shot is a thing of beauty

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I love Semin. He's a two way stud (not last season) and I think he'll rebound nicely on the team. Saddle me up for Semin + 2nd + prospect for Raymond + something small

His shot is a thing of beauty

I'd be crossing my fingers that he'd bounce back, but it'd be unlikely for sure.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
In theory I like the idea of Semin + 35 OA for Raymond, but if they're going to take on that cap hit I do hope they move Wideman and replace him with someone cheaper (getting rid of Engelland would be ideal, but that's never going to happen).

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Only way the Flames should take on Clarkson's contract is if something ridiculously stupid is offered as incentive (ie: better than those deals proposed earlier) or if Columbus eats at least 25% of his contract, I'd consider one of the deals offered above.

Clarkson isn't useless as a hockey player, he's simply a cap anchor for four (five?) more years. At $4 million, I could tolerate him playing on the third line, similar to Jones. Besides, if we have someone not scoring on the 3rd/4th line, I'd rather have Clarkson than Raymond...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad