Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
And if hudler produces like he did again this last season he sure will be asking for 6 million + a year. I would rather pay Okposo then Hudler just based on where there careers are. I would rather trade the 1st then Hudler though

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Okposo for a 1st round pick, but I think I would only give up a 2015 2nd and a prospect for him and a conditional 2016/17 1st if he re-signed with us.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Because it's Monday

Wideman (salary retained)
Poirier
Granlund
Backlund
Jankowski
Hanowski
15th overall

for

3rd overall
Gormley

On a realistic note, I am rather displeased by the fact that the Oilers and the Sabres could easily afford to trade for 3rd overall without it being even all that painful. Draisaitl+16th or Reinhart+Grigorenko+21st for 3rd OV and Gormley or what have you.

Aug 21, 2014
Because it's Monday

Poirier
Granlund
Backlund
Jankowski
15th overall

for

3rd overall
Gormley

On a realistic note, I am rather displeased by the fact that the Oilers and the Sabres could easily afford to trade for 3rd overall without it being even all that painful. Draisaitl+16th or Reinhart+Grigorenko+21st for 3rd OV and Gormley or what have you.

Why would EDM or BUF do those. :laugh: Recent top 3 picks + another first rounder for top 3 pick and potential waiver fodder.
About the 3rd overall deal, I wouldn't do it, trading too much futures. I'd rather be looking at buying Carolinas 5th overall.

Apparently 2nd rounders are worth their weight in Gold. Maybe we can parlay a couple of them for some Young NHL D-man à la the Islanders

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Why would EDM or BUF do those. :laugh: Recent top 3 picks + another first rounder for top 3 pick and potential waiver fodder.
About the 3rd overall deal, I wouldn't do it, trading too much futures. I'd rather be looking at buying Carolinas 5th overall.

McDavid/Eichel + Hanafin/Strome/Marner/Provorov. It's not a bad first round.

Both the Oilers and Sabres have the centre depth to make a move like that.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If I was Maloney, I think I'd gladly take Draisaitl and 16th OA. I find Hanifin and Strome to be a bit overrated.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Because it's Monday

Poirier
Granlund
Backlund
Jankowski
Hanowski
15th overall

for

3rd overall
Gormley

Heh, well you know it's draft week when.......

People ridiculously over value draft picks because they are busy salivating over the new draft class. The Flames get absolutely raped in this deal. No one would ever pay that much just to move up 12 spots in the draft and snag a D prospect who is bordering on busting.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Eh, I was pretty much just rhyming names at the end (if only the Flames had Dillon Fournier and Ryan Hartman in the system). Coyotes want young, cost controlled NHL centremen and the Flames aren't trading Bennett or Monahan. And Maloney will almost certainly end up picking third however much smoke he blows.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It seems like Maloney is either:
A) Going to trade the pick; to Sharks or Avs as most likely destinations
B) Draft Hanifin and play him in the NHL next season, which would be a mistake IMO, especially considering how the whole kerfuffle is going about the arena.
Maloney is probably really under pressure to give fans something to cheer about next season, and sacrifice their shot at Austin Matthews next draft.
and that's just from spending 10 mins on the 'Yotes board.

Aug 21, 2014
Marner makes the most sense in regards to marketability. He's the flashiest, and the Yotes have the other 2 thirds of his line already.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Marner makes the most sense in regards to marketability. He's the flashiest, and the Yotes have the other 2 thirds of his line already.

I don't think that last sentence will come into play too much. Maloney spoke worlds about Hanifin even saying he's NHL ready next year.

I personally feel with the whole Glendale issue ongoing they are going to make a big splash trading down with a team around 7-9 and acquire a young proven forward and draft a D either of Provorov or Raantanen(sp), OR they sit tight and draft Hanifin.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Oh and on the Okposo debate, I think we could get him for one of our 2nd's, Colborne, and prospect. He has an amazing contract and would be a great addition to the team.

To Calgary:
Okposo
To NYI:
2nd in 15
Colborne
Granlund

Johnny - Monahan - Huds
Bennett - Backs - Okposo is a legit top 6, switch Huds and Okposo if necessary.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Oh and on the Okposo debate, I think we could get him for one of our 2nd's, Colborne, and prospect. He has an amazing contract and would be a great addition to the team.

To Calgary:
Okposo
To NYI:
2nd in 15
Colborne
Granlund

Johnny - Monahan - Huds

:thumbu:

May 27, 2012
Earth

To Calgary:
Okposo
To NYI:
2nd in 15
Colborne
Granlund

Johnny - Monahan - Huds

Won't happen, but sign me up.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

To Calgary:
Okposo
To NYI:
2nd in 15
Colborne
Granlund

Johnny - Monahan - Huds

For a premium player like Okoposo, they'll have to be at least one preium piece going th either way.

You won't get him for a bunch of quantity.

In a cap world, fungible players aren't that highly rated, as they are always readily available.

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
Switching Bennett to the wing would be a disaster.

You don't take a player of his ilk, with his ability to play his position so well, and change him to a wing because you want Backlund as your #2 centre - when he is ideally a 3rd line centre.

Centre depth for the Flames next year:

1. Monahan
2. Backlund
3. Bennett
4. Stajan

and you protect Bennett much in the same way Hartley sheltered Monahan in his first season. Switching him to the wing is a terrible idea.

Centre depth for the Flames in 2016/2017:

1. Monahan
2. Bennett
3. Backlund
4. Stajan

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
For a premium player like Okoposo, they'll have to be at least one preium piece going th either way.

You won't get him for a bunch of quantity.

In a cap world, fungible players aren't that highly rated, as they are always readily available.

This exactly. Not sure why everyone thinks he would be had for so cheap. Just because the Islanders don't have a pick until the 3rd round does not negate the fact he would be a player drawing considerable interest. His cap hit is very low still which means a large # of teams would be after him

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
We don't want him turning out like Tyler Seguin, do we? :sarcasm:
Excellent example AS.

There are 3 ways to get a young player.
1. Play them on the wing for a while to adjust to the NHL game and potentially face stronger competition. And learn the centre position after they adjust to the skill of the players.
2. Play them on the 3rd line to learn the position. And have them adjust to the skill of the players after they learn the position.
3. Go full Oiler and throw them to the wolves.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Excellent example AS.

There are 3 ways to get a young player.
1. Play them on the wing for a while to adjust to the NHL game and potentially face stronger competition. And learn the centre position after they adjust to the skill of the players.
2. Play them on the 3rd line to learn the position. And have them adjust to the skill of the players after they learn the position.
3. Go full Oiler and throw them to the wolves.

Number 3 is the best option, AINEC :sarcasm:

I like what Hartley did with Monahan, and that was taking him slow with playing 3rd line center minutes. I'd want us to do the same with Bennett. Backlund will probably be 2C for one more year.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Interesting article on TSN about filing dual offer sheets on a team.

http://www.tsn.ca/dual-offer-sheets-the-way-to-land-rfa-talent-1.315613

Yes, it's bad form, but when you look at some of the RFA guys on cash strapped teams, there's some real difference makers in there.

Could offer:
Kruger & Saad the max $3,652,659 (2nd rd pick compensation) each, which would eat up all of Chicago's cap space until they make moves

Dougie Hamilton $5,478,986 (or less, at a 1st and a 3rd as compensation) and Ryan Spooner at $3.6 or less (2nd rd comp). You know they'll match Dougie, but might not be able to match Spooner.

Toffoli and Jones from LA too but we'd only have use for Toffoli who LA would match anyways.

In my opinion, offer sheets are part of the business and you have to protect your assets. Not sure Burke feels the same way though. Could definitely see Chiarelli sending a couple over to Boston

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Number 3 is the best option, AINEC :sarcasm:

I like what Hartley did with Monahan, and that was taking him slow with playing 3rd line center minutes. I'd want us to do the same with Bennett. Backlund will probably be 2C for one more year.
That is fair, but at the same time Monahan was a raw rookie. Bennett has the benefit of coming in and playing in the playoffs, knowing what it will take. I would prefer to bring in another centreman for a year or 2 that is strong on faceoffs before moving Bennett to centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad