Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
I hadn't heard that Okposo might be on the block until just now, and though I'm skeptical as to what it'd take besides Hudler to get Garth to pick up the phone, I think Burliving would be remiss to not at least kick the tires. There is fair concern that Okposo might not be the same player after surgery to repair the detached retina (ouch!), but he was scoring at nearly a PPG pace through 46 games prior to the injury, is arguably one of the top 10 or 15 players in the league at a position were clearly thin at, and as FLAMES666 mentioned, is entering his prime at 27. If we could manage to obtain Okposo for someone other than Huds—a 2nd-rounder, a prospect and roster player might be enough to bend Snow’s ear—just think of how significantly deeper and more dangerous his addition would make the Flames. I’m not a huge proponent of tossing a boatload of cash at the guy to make him stay, but there is cap flexibility and the room in the Flames lineup to make it work; he is exactly the age and caliber of player we should be targeting if available imo, depending on what he’d cost us.

Since the Islanders don’t pick until the 3rd round (#72), does anyone else think that our 45th overall pick + say, Colborne + say, Granlund might be close to fair value for Okposo, and if not, why? Something tells me Garth would be asking for Ferland, and as tempting as it might sound, I’m not sure it’d be wise to get rid of our two bigger bodies up front to gamble on a player who’s had as many issues staying healthy as Okposo. What do you guys think?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Raymond - Bennett - Okposo
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Ferland - Stajan - Jooris

Shore, Byron, Poirier, Wolf, Agostino, Arnold, etc.

(maybe switch Huds back to LW if Poirier breaks out, which would make Raymond expendable)

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I hadn't heard that Okposo might be on the block until just now, and though I'm skeptical as to what it'd take besides Hudler to get Garth to pick up the phone, I think Burliving would be remiss to not at least kick the tires. There is fair concern that Okposo might not be the same player after surgery to repair the detached retina (ouch!), but he was scoring at nearly a PPG pace through 46 games prior to the injury, is arguably one of the top 10 or 15 players in the league at a position were clearly thin at, and as FLAMES666 mentioned, is entering his prime at 27. If we could manage to obtain Okposo for someone other than Huds—a 2nd-rounder, a prospect and roster player might be enough to bend Snow’s ear—just think of how significantly deeper and more dangerous his addition would make the Flames. I’m not a huge proponent of tossing a boatload of cash at the guy to make him stay, but there is cap flexibility and the room in the Flames lineup to make it work; he is exactly the age and caliber of player we should be targeting if available imo, depending on what he’d cost us.

Since the Islanders don’t pick until the 3rd round (#72), does anyone else think that our 45th overall pick + say, Colborne + say, Granlund might be close to fair value for Okposo, and if not, why? Something tells me Garth would be asking for Ferland, and as tempting as it might sound, I’m not sure it’d be wise to get rid of our two bigger bodies up front to gamble on a player who’s had as many issues staying healthy as Okposo. What do you guys think?

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Raymond - Bennett - Okposo
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Ferland - Stajan - Jooris

Shore, Byron, Poirier, Wolf, Agostino, Arnold, etc.

(maybe switch Huds back to LW if Poirier breaks out, which would make Raymond expendable)

I don't think that would be enough, but I agree Okposo would be a perfect fit for us. What if we made two trades:

To BUF:
15th Overall
Jonas Hiller

To CGY:
21st Overall
31st Overall

Then,

To NYI:
31st Overall
Morgan Klimchuk
53rd Overall
Max Reinhart

To CGY:
Kyle Okposo

Then sign Jay Beagle (very good right-handed 4th-line C from Calgary)- 2 yrs, 3 mil

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Okposo
Ferland-Stajan-Colbourne
Bouma-Beagle-Jones

Last edited:

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I don't think that would be enough, but I agree Okposo would be a perfect fit for us. What if we made two trades:

To BUF:
15th Overall
Jonas Hiller

To CGY:
21st Overall
31st Overall

Then,

To NYI:
31st Overall
Markus Klimchuk
53rd Overall
Max Reinhart

To CGY:
Kyle Okposo

Then sign Jay Beagle (very good right-handed 4th-line C from Calgary)- 2 yrs, 3 mil

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Okposo
Ferland-Stajan-Colbourne
Bouma-Beagle-Jones

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::handclap:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

To BUF:
15th Overall
Jonas Hiller

To CGY:
21st Overall
31st Overall

Then,

To NYI:
31st Overall
Morgan Klimchuk
53rd Overall
Max Reinhart

To CGY:
Kyle Okposo

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Okposo
Ferland-Stajan-Colbourne
Bouma-Beagle-Jones

I'd consider something along the lines of the first trade (which is still overpayment by Calgary) but I think that's too much to give for Okposo.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
I do not see much of a difference in terms of value between Hudler and Okposo. Okposo might be slightly more valuable in regards to age but but UFA at end of season.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I do not see much of a difference in terms of value between Hudler and Okposo. Okposo might be slightly more valuable in regards to age but but UFA at end of season.

As is Hudler, you don't think he is going to be asking for a fat raise to??

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
#3 prospect after Bennett & Gillies IMO

Personally I have to give Poirier the slight edge just because he has done so much since being drafted, didn't like the pick at all at the time and now I am a bit enamored with him. It's very close though. I originally had the Flames picking Klimchuk with the Poirier pick. I had talked to Morgan a few days before the draft and he sounded optimistic the Flames were going to pick him, so I was super pleased when we took him with our last 1st rounder.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1. Bennett
2. Poirier
3. Gillies
4. Ferland
5. Granlund
6. Ortio
7. Arnold
8. Culkin
9. Klimchuk
10. Hickey
Off the top of my head. Probably missed someone.

I'm not as high on Klimchuk as most. Just don't see the NHL skill set. Although, watching him in junior he is a beast. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Think there were some interested in Joel Ward around here:

However, given the gap between Ward’s desire for a long-term deal and the Capitals’ desire to keep him tethered with a shorter-term contract, it looks increasingly likely Ward will reach unrestricted free agency on July 1.

MacLellan already predicted that “term’s going to be an issue†in discussions with Ward. At 34 years old, the winger is hunting for what will likely be the final three- or four-year deal of his career.

Both the Oilers and Sabres would be good fits. Both can also afford three or four year contracts.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
As is Hudler, you don't think he is going to be asking for a fat raise to??

Someone mentioned that Okposo is rumoured to be asking 7 mil annually. I don't think there's any way Hudler gets that. My guess is he lands between 5 and 6 if he's re-signing with his current team on a long-term contract.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not as high on Klimchuk as most. Just don't see the NHL skill set.

Eh, he can stickhandle, snipe accurately, fight in corners, find the open man, and has speed to spare; I don't see what's missing in his skillset, even if he's more of a jack of all trades/master of none than a star. He's a better prospect than Granlund, and Granlund's already an effective NHLer. He's younger than Poirier, which is the only reason Poirier beat him to the AHL. He's not as big as Poirier, but he's still a solid 6 feet tall. He's even shown that he can play his off-wing very well. I wouldn't be surprised if Klimchuk has a Patrick Sharp type career, though I'm not really expecting that.

That said, the reason he's tossed into a lot of trade proposals is simple - Granlund/Bouma/Ferland/Poirier have all made their NHL debuts while Klimmer is stuck in Junior.

1. Bennett
2. Poirier
3. Gillies
4. Ferland
5. Granlund
6. Ortio
7. Arnold
8. Culkin
9. Klimchuk
10. Hickey
Off the top of my head. Probably missed someone.

I would consider Bennett/Ferland/Granlund/Ortio (and Jooris/Shore) graduated. Only reason Granlund might not be an NHLer next year is because of his ability to get assigned to AHL without clearing waivers, but from Treliving's comments he's simply not treating Granlund as a prospect. Likewise, Bennett's made the team.

So that gets your personal list down to:

1. Poirier
2. Gillies
3. Arnold
4. Culkin
5. Klimchuk
6. Hickey

... I would add Jankowski, Kulak, Wotherspoon, Morrison, Agostino, Hathaway, Rafikov, MacDonald for now to round out our top 14 prospects, though my order is pretty different. I don't think there's all that much separation between any of the 14 in terms of NHL likelyhood, though there's obviously differences in upside.

Then after a slight falloff, you can probably toss Elson, Gilmour, Reinhart, Cundari, Ramage, Wolf in there... NHL-calibre guys who could use a trade somewhere else and break through as 4th liners/7th D. That's 22.

I see the falloff below that top 22 group to the next five: Smith, Caroll, Sieloff, Ollas Maatson, Kanzig. I don't see as much NHL likelyhood but they're still solid players IMO. All five are kind of projects at this point. Which is fine, Sieloff with 2 or left on ELCs and the other four haven't even started their NA Pro career yet.

Last edited:

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Someone mentioned that Okposo is rumoured to be asking 7 mil annually. I don't think there's any way Hudler gets that. My guess is he lands between 5 and 6 if he's re-signing with his current team on a long-term contract.

And if hudler produces like he did again this last season he sure will be asking for 6 million + a year. I would rather pay Okposo then Hudler just based on where there careers are. I would rather trade the 1st then Hudler though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad