Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
That is fair, but at the same time Monahan was a raw rookie. Bennett has the benefit of coming in and playing in the playoffs, knowing what it will take. I would prefer to bring in another centreman for a year or 2 that is strong on faceoffs before moving Bennett to centre.

Don't you think it'd be better for Bennett to learn the center position as soon as possible though?

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Interesting article on TSN about filing dual offer sheets on a team.

Yes, it's bad form, but when you look at some of the RFA guys on cash strapped teams, there's some real difference makers in there.

Could offer:
Kruger & Saad the max $3,652,659 (2nd rd pick compensation) each, which would eat up all of Chicago's cap space until they make moves

Dougie Hamilton $5,478,986 (or less, at a 1st and a 3rd as compensation) and Ryan Spooner at $3.6 or less (2nd rd comp). You know they'll match Dougie, but might not be able to match Spooner.

Toffoli and Jones from LA too but we'd only have use for Toffoli who LA would match anyways.

In my opinion, offer sheets are part of the business and you have to protect your assets. Not sure Burke feels the same way though. Could definitely see Chiarelli sending a couple over to Boston

I'd want to offersheet Saad a 4.5m x 6 years. When a term is over 5 years, you have to divide the total $ over 5 years, so 27/5 = 5.4.

Still keeps us within the 1st + 3rd round pick compensation. And I think Saad would like the $ and term as well.

Aug 21, 2014
Interesting article on TSN about filing dual offer sheets on a team.

Yes, it's bad form, but when you look at some of the RFA guys on cash strapped teams, there's some real difference makers in there.

Could offer:
Kruger & Saad the max $3,652,659 (2nd rd pick compensation) each, which would eat up all of Chicago's cap space until they make moves
Dougie Hamilton $5,478,986 (or less, at a 1st and a 3rd as compensation) and Ryan Spooner at $3.6 or less (2nd rd comp). You know they'll match Dougie, but might not be able to match Spooner.

Toffoli and Jones from LA too but we'd only have use for Toffoli who LA would match anyways.

In my opinion, offer sheets are part of the business and you have to protect your assets. Not sure Burke feels the same way though. Could definitely see Chiarelli sending a couple over to Boston

That is so evil. :laugh: I'd do that Offersheet Saad, get a potential top line winger. If not offersheet Kruger and round out your bottom 6.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Don't you think it'd be better for Bennett to learn the center position as soon as possible though?
I think it's harder to learn to play against the best defenders in the NHL than learning to play centre. He has the basics already, so it's not going to suddenly make him forget everything

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
That is so evil. :laugh: I'd do that Offersheet Saad, get a potential top line winger. If not offersheet Kruger and round out your bottom 6.
That's the point of the dual offer sheet, chances are the other team will only match one so you at least get one of your targets which you low ball on each offer.

And because we have so many 2nds and 3rds, we're stocked for compensations (plus I'd drive our 1st to the airport myself if Boston wouldn't match Dougie's offersheet!)

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
That's the point of the dual offer sheet, chances are the other team will only match one so you at least get one of your targets which you low ball on each offer.

And because we have so many 2nds and 3rds, we're stocked for compensations (plus I'd drive our 1st to the airport myself if Boston wouldn't match Dougie's offersheet!)

The player must still agree to the terms of an offer sheet, so you can't really low ball them as you say. It's going to take more than 3,652,659 to get Saad to even think about signing an OS.

Our 2nd's and 3rd's would not come into play since they are from this year and the compensatory picks would be 2016 and on.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
The player must still agree to the terms of an offer sheet, so you can't really low ball them as you say. It's going to take more than 3,652,659 to get Saad to even think about signing an OS.

Our 2nd's and 3rd's would not come into play since they are from this year and the compensatory picks would be 2016 and on.
No kidding... guess we wouldn't be able to offer two at once then unless its a 1st & 3rd level offer and a 2nd level.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I think Saad would most definitely accept a 4.5 x 6.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think it's harder to learn to play against the best defenders in the NHL than learning to play centre. He has the basics already, so it's not going to suddenly make him forget everything

At the end of the day, though, does it really hurt to give him a look? I think the Flames are going to see if he can win himself a centre spot, and if he can, it's his. If he can't, then we're still okay down the middle given how much depth we have there.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
At the end of the day, though, does it really hurt to give him a look? I think the Flames are going to see if he can win himself a centre spot, and if he can, it's his. If he can't, then we're still okay down the middle given how much depth we have there.

I don't think it hurts to give a look. I'd love to see Bennett hop up and down between 2nd line winger with Backlund and 3C/4C (Stajan on 3/4C regular) during this season (Let's not forget how much NHL experience he has). Maybe a centre during the practices and pre season + a few games in the beginning of season, then stapled to Backlunds line for a few months, then back to C? Add another cycle of winger for a few months if he's struggling, then probably back as a permanent 3C/4C (fighting with Stajan) for the rest of the season? (TL;DR - Backlund's winger for a bit, compete with Backlund and Stajan for C by mid or late season?)

In the grand scheme of things, I would like to see our excess centre depth go between 4C and 3rd line wingers/4th wingers (JJ, Granny, Shore etc. barring potential trade of our excess centres). IMO, I'd like to see Bennett learn more from Backlund, Try some stuff out on his own, then sent back to Backlund's wing to figure more things out. But hell, if Bennett like Monahan can go against the best in the league and still continue to improve and learn, Backlund, take the passenger seat plx.

I would like to believe that Bennett challenges Backlund for 2C in by the second year or Backlund's contract and someone (ie: Janko) challenging Backlund for 3C in Backlund's last year.

I like 300 as the meme for our team, we need guys capable of being well rounded in offense an defence, and not the rejected guy great at offense, but terrible at defence.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Doh, should have read previous page first.

Number 3 is the best option, AINEC :sarcasm:

I like what Hartley did with Monahan, and that was taking him slow with playing 3rd line center minutes. I'd want us to do the same with Bennett. Backlund will probably be 2C for one more year.

Agree. Personally, I think the best dev path for Bennett would be

This season
1/2 season winger (with centre play in preseason for learning purposes and early season to get a feel of non-scrubs play)
1/2 season fighting Stajan for 3C.
Next season...
Full season fight Backlund for 2C

That is fair, but at the same time Monahan was a raw rookie. Bennett has the benefit of coming in and playing in the playoffs, knowing what it will take. I would prefer to bring in another centreman for a year or 2 that is strong on faceoffs before moving Bennett to centre.

Monahan is fraking awesome. I would love Bennett to take a similar learning curve, but it's unreasonable to expect it.

I disagree we need another centre unless you want to replace Stajan. Unless you mean a centre converted to wing who is also good at faceoffs (like a Colborne if Colborne could take faceoffs).

Monahan
Backlund
Stajan

Is a great talent pool of guys to fight/strive to outdo.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Montreal possibly wants to trade down. Would you guys do 52 + 53 for 26?

There's your Kylington right there if you wanted him. Could also see Jeremy Roy available there as well, he seems to be falling because a lot of 2nd rounders are projecting to go into the 1st round.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Montreal possibly wants to trade down. Would you guys do 52 + 53 for 26?

There's your Kylington right there if you wanted him. Could also see Jeremy Roy available there as well, he seems to be falling because a lot of 2nd rounders are projecting to go into the 1st round.

I like it but it would at least take 45 and 53.

I would rather trade 52 and 53 for like 30ish. One of Kylington, Meloche, Carlo, Chabot or Juulsen would likely be there still.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Oilers heavily sheltered Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins under Renney; Horcoff, Hemsky and Smyth took the tough matches back then.

And I'd rather at least try Bennett at centre to see how it works at first. Only if he struggles should he be moved. No need to Galchenyuk him.;)

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Oilers heavily sheltered Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins under Renney; Horcoff, Hemsky and Smyth took the tough matches back then.

And I'd rather at least try Bennett at centre to see how it works at first. Only if he struggles should he be moved. No need to Galchenyuk him.;)

It's a good thing Sam isn't American.

Aug 21, 2014

And that's why he got fired. He didn't want to throw 'em to the wolves.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's a good thing Sam isn't American.
There's no need to, uh, Kyle Turris him.

And that's why he got fired. He didn't want to throw 'em to the wolves.

They were progressing well under Krueger, even against other teams top lines. It was with Eakins that everything went sideways.

Thing is though, one kind of expects top players wouldn't need extensive sheltering by their third and fourth years.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Any interest in Antoine Vermette on July 1st? I think his value probably dropped during his stint in Chicago, and at 32 and having won a Cup, the terms he is looking for may line up nicely with what we want.

I think he probably will bounce back in a big way next year. A lot of players don't do so well with TD moves.

Aug 21, 2014
Any interest in Antoine Vermette on July 1st? I think his value probably dropped during his stint in Chicago, and at 32 and having won a Cup, the terms he is looking for may line up nicely with what we want.

I think he probably will bounce back in a big way next year. A lot of players don't do so well with TD moves.

Not really, he'll likely want a lot of term and a lot of money. The money isn't the problem it's the term. Anything more than 3 years is too much for this team. He might sign in Arizona know that he's won his cup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not really, he'll likely want a lot of term and a lot of money. The money isn't the problem it's the term. Anything more than 3 years is too much for this team. He might sign in Arizona know that he's won his cup.

We'll have to see how much teams are willing to commit to him. Like I said, I think his value took a big hit from where it was mid-season/TD. If someone else offers him 4+ years, then I'm not interested, but at 3 years or less, I think we can beat anyone else's offer.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
We'll have to see how much teams are willing to commit to him. Like I said, I think his value took a big hit from where it was mid-season/TD. If someone else offers him 4+ years, then I'm not interested, but at 3 years or less, I think we can beat anyone else's offer.

On Arizona, Vermette averaged 19 minutes a game (2:49 PP TOI/GP), on Chicago he averaged 13.5 minutes a game including playoffs (0:20 PP TOI/GP).

His ES PTS/60 on Chicago was 1.07 and in Arizona was 1.34.

So yes he did play slightly worse on Chicago but not a whole lot since he was 11th in TOI/GP for forwards with Chicago compared to 1st for forwards in Arizona, did not get any PP time in Chicago, and played with worse linemates. I doubt his value dropped much since he went from a teams number one used forward to 11th. He went from being overused to underused.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

I'd be fine with the Flames considering him as a guy to sign to a one-year deal (to be traded at the deadline), but they've already got a pretty full forward corps. It's really only right wing and better quality that they need, and I don't think Vermette is better than Backlund or Stajan at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad