Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
He's 25 and was one of the worst possession players on the team, and he was unable to develop chemistry with a single other player on the team, except maybe Monahan who deserves to play with better players.

I don't hate Colborne, but I don't see him as a long term piece unless he takes significant strides at both ends and especially in the neutral zone where he's a non factor. I feel like we already have better RW pieces in guys like Jooris, Shore, Poirier, Klimchuk, and despite being 31, Hudler.

He was also guilty of some of the most boneheaded penalties this season, especially in the game against the stars and game 4 vs Anaheim.

Not sure why shore is even in this conversation, I'd easily have colburne over him. Jooris is good in a 4th line capacity, granted he is still young. As others have mentioned, I've seen steady progression out of him since acquisition. Colburne isn't the greatest middle sixer, but I still think he has another gear in him. His POs alone have peaked my interest, I'm interested to see what he brings next year. Some players just take time, hopefully this is true for colburne.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Granted Colborne has holes in his game (most do), but I think his positives outweigh his negatives by a good margin.

He's quite good on the forecheck, putting pressure on defenders in their own end which can lead to turnovers. He has pretty good hands, I saw him use his size increasingly more this year using his body to shield defenders from the puck. He is pretty good at handling the puck in the offensive zone, but he does need to work on finding the open man and not having the play die on his stick as much. That said, in general he has good vision for a big man. It's a process, but he's becoming more physical and throwing the body more. He did take some bad penalties, but that's part of the process and him learning to play within the parameters of his game. He has the biggest body on our team and is capable of scoring 40 points on a regular basis. For a depth player, I have no complaints with him. I've seen plenty of power forwards that do not peak until later in their 20's and that's what I see in Joe, a guy who's still got lots of room to grow. Plus he's really tall.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Count me as another who thinks Colborne has another gear to him. If he can find consistency in his game, I think he will become a much more reliable player. It felt like he really wore a lot of hats as the season went on, I think both he and the coaching staff were trying to figure out exactly where he fits on this team.

Next year I think we will see him deployed in a more consistent role, and with his physical edge really developing I think he will be a really well rounded player by the end of the 2015/2016 season.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Not sure why shore is even in this conversation, I'd easily have colburne over him. Jooris is good in a 4th line capacity, granted he is still young. As others have mentioned, I've seen steady progression out of him since acquisition. Colburne isn't the greatest middle sixer, but I still think he has another gear in him. His POs alone have peaked my interest, I'm interested to see what he brings next year. Some players just take time, hopefully this is true for colburne.

I'd put Colborne and Jooris in over Shore 10 times out of 10.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If the playoff version of Colborne appears for the majority of next season, he's valuable depth. If it's the regular season version, he's trade fodder.

How his wrist holds up will be the difference between him being a respectable middle six option or a journeyman fourth liner.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If the playoff version of Colborne appears for the majority of next season, he's valuable depth. If it's the regular season version, he's trade fodder.

How his wrist holds up will be the difference between him being a respectable middle six option or a journeyman fourth liner.

This is a good point, wrist injuries are brutal for hockey players. But I'm betting he comes into next year with a chip on his shoulder. What he learned to do at the end of the regular season and into the playoffs will not just be lost come next season. He just keeps getting better and is finally starting to use his size as an asset!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Again, lets not forget how he started the season last year, he was very impressive. I agree he was inconsistent overall, but it's not the easiest thing to change from playing a finesse style to more of a power game, considering injuries he suffered last year, I think he played quite well.

I'm not saying that Colborne is a fantastic player, but I do like him quite a bit and think he can be a very useful player for us going forward

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Again, lets not forget how he started the season last year, he was very impressive. I agree he was inconsistent overall, but it's not the easiest thing to change from playing a finesse style to more of a power game, considering injuries he suffered last year, I think he played quite well.

I'm not saying that Colborne is a fantastic player, but I do like him quite a bit and think he can be a very useful player for us going forward

I think Colborne wants to stay with this team for a long time. Whether he be the 2nd/3rd/4th line RW, I'm happy to keep him on here. I have him putting up some great numbers next year if his wrist gets better.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I don't get the Colborne hate, I know he struggled at times but overall he was one of our better players. Over a pro rated 82 game schedule, he was on pace to get 36 points. He's still young and learning to be a power forward, it's very realistic that he becomes a regular 45 point player. I also like him better on the wing, he was one of our most physical players and he's our biggest body. He has soft hands, good on breakaways and excellent in SO's. Personally I hope he's a Flame for a long time, I think he's pretty much on par with Backlund in terms of upside.

Yeah I agree with this. I'm definitely on the side that would prefer Colborne be on the team. I feel he's still got a lot of upside.

Gary Bettman Fan

vBookie extrodinaire
Jun 6, 2015
Offersheet McDavid Max Cap Hit in 3 Years

Hypothetically speaking, if McDavid was a RFA after his ELC (and assuming he lived up to the hype), would you want Flames management to offersheet him the max amount (20% of salary cap, approx 14+ Million) as a a method of forcing our rival teams to commit so much money to one player? I'm sure the Oilers will do whatever they can to re-sign McDavid after his second year, but McDavid and his agent know full well, that many teams would be interested in him as a RFA and wouldn't hesitate to give up 4 1st round picks for him, and hence be able to get whatever amount he wanted in free agency.

If it came to this hypothetical situation, would you be happy with the Flames making an offersheet of 14+ Million for him, maybe even 15+ million assuming the cap goes up in 3 years...

Gary Bettman Fan

vBookie extrodinaire
Jun 6, 2015
I'm sure another team will do it.

The Flames should have nothing to do with McDavid.

Do you mean in sense of the "Rivalry", or because giving up 4 1st round picks and on top of that committing 20% of your cap to one player would make things difficult for your franchise in the long run?

Aug 21, 2014
Hypothetically speaking, if McDavid was a RFA after his ELC (and assuming he lived up to the hype), would you want Flames management to offersheet him the max amount (20% of salary cap, approx 14+ Million) as a a method of forcing our rival teams to commit so much money to one player? I'm sure the Oilers will do whatever they can to re-sign McDavid after his second year, but McDavid and his agent know full well, that many teams would be interested in him as a RFA and wouldn't hesitate to give up 4 1st round picks for him, and hence be able to get whatever amount he wanted in free agency.

If it came to this hypothetical situation, would you be happy with the Flames making an offersheet of 14+ Million for him, maybe even 15+ million assuming the cap goes up in 3 years...

I'd do it. Just to **** with them. :laugh: Not sure if McDavid would sign an Offersheet though..

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Do you mean in sense of the "Rivalry", or because giving up 4 1st round picks and on top of that committing 20% of your cap to one player would make things difficult for your franchise in the long run?

It would be pretty funny if we offer sheeted McDavid just to screw with Edmonton.

However, what if Edmonton doesn't sign the 14/15m contract? Given we have a lot of players on ELC's and of course other players to re-sign/sign via UFA, it's not a good idea for us in the long run. Our team will be built on depth like Chicago, not 1/2/3 all star players with large contracts like Pittsburgh.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Opportunity won't arise. Guys of McDavid's calibre very rarely make it to the summer without a new contract in place. I assume he's going to be locked in long-term by March of his 3rd ELC year.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yeah I agree with this. I'm definitely on the side that would prefer Colborne be on the team. I feel he's still got a lot of upside.

I don't hate the guy, but I think he's worth more in trade than he is to the team. He's inexpensive, put up reasonable numbers, and is big, which are all things that would be very enticing to a lot of cap teams.

You may say "yeah, but those are things the Flames would like too", which is true, but he's like a reverse Backlund. Backlund is a lot better than the numbers he puts up, and he looks great in all three zones. I think Colborne is worse than the numbers he puts up, because he still does a lot of floating/puck fumbling/etc in spite of his occasional flashes of brilliance. He's not a bad player, but if I were running the Flames he'd be a guy who I was floating out on the trade market to see if I could get value back for him (e.g. a young defenseman).

I also don't think there's a ton of growth that he's going to do. He reminds me of Rene Bourque; great tools, sometimes amazing, but can't (or in Bourques case, refuses to) put it together consistently enough to be as valuable as he appears.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't hate the guy, but I think he's worth more in trade than he is to the team. He's inexpensive, put up reasonable numbers, and is big, which are all things that would be very enticing to a lot of cap teams.

You may say "yeah, but those are things the Flames would like too", which is true, but he's like a reverse Backlund. Backlund is a lot better than the numbers he puts up, and he looks great in all three zones. I think Colborne is worse than the numbers he puts up, because he still does a lot of floating/puck fumbling/etc in spite of his occasional flashes of brilliance. He's not a bad player, but if I were running the Flames he'd be a guy who I was floating out on the trade market to see if I could get value back for him (e.g. a young defenseman).

I also don't think there's a ton of growth that he's going to do. He reminds me of Rene Bourque; great tools, sometimes amazing, but can't (or in Bourques case, refuses to) put it together consistently enough to be as valuable as he appears.

I don't think we should take this year into account. He should have been shooting the puck a whole lot more, but couldn't because of his wrist. I don't think we've seen the best of Colborne.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I don't think we should take this year into account. He should have been shooting the puck a whole lot more, but couldn't because of his wrist. I don't think we've seen the best of Colborne.

That's a good point, actually. Although I'm not saying the Flames should move him all costs, either. I just think he's more expendable than most people do. I wouldn't be mad if he stayed with the team, though.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I'd offer him a 2 year Offersheet (30m) 10m first season, 20m 2nd season. That should ding the Oil..

That would also destroy us in the process. We would have to cut ties with players that we wouldn't have had to before. One player can't do it all himself. We also would be giving 4 1st round picks. Also when his contract is up we have offer 15 million or more to resign him.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

If McDavid makes it to the end of his ELC without extending and he is living up to his hype...every team that owns their next 4 1st round picks will send him an offer sheet.

Aug 21, 2014
That would also destroy us in the process. We would have to cut ties with players that we wouldn't have had to before. One player can't do it all himself. We also would be giving 4 1st round picks. Also when his contract is up we have offer 15 million or more to resign him.

I am pretty sure the Oilers match. Don't worry :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad