Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
FA's I would like to target include:

RW Michael Frolik, 27
Played shut down minutes and still had a higher ES P/60 (1.62) than all forwards but Hudler (2.54), Bouma (1.97), Raymond (1.93), Jones (1.79), Gaudreau (1.74), Granlund (1.72), Monahan (1.63), and lastly tied Backlund (1.62).

Out of all those names listed only Backlund, Jones, and Bouma played more defensive zone minutes. He would easily slot in as our 2nd or 3rd line RW interchangeable with Jones. I personally dislike Colborne.

One con I would say that would have inflated his stats is he spent 27.2% of the season playing RW with Ladd and Little. He also spent 23.9% playing the LW with Scheifele and Perreault, and 11.4% of the time as C with Lowry and Ladd. Mostly he is a RW who can play all positions, play hard shutdown minutes, is 27, played as the 5th PK forward guy in Winnipeg (so can play the PK if with Bouma, Stajan, Backlund, or Monahan go down). He may be a cheap option because he was shadowed in Winnipeg.

He was 6th in TOI/GP for forwards on the Jets. 5th PK forward. 6th PP TOI/GP for forwards.

If we miss out on Frolik

C/RW Carl Soderberg, 29

Soderberg would fit in nicely as our 2RW, he plays a below-average but not horrendous two way game. He was used more offensively than Frolik, and we could use some secondary scoring.

He had a weaker 1.53 ES P/60 than Frolik, and is 29, but still has a few years left. He produced on the Bruins which is fairly impressive.

He played half the season on the RW with Eriksson and Kelly, and produced the most out of the three. So I would say he had worse linemates than Frolik to play with and if anything carried the line.

He was 5th for TOI/GP for forwards on the Bruins. 5th for PP TOI/GP for forwards. Does not kill penalties.

Andrej Sekera

You all already know

IF WE MISS OUT ON SEKERA WHICH IS LIKELY

Michael Del Zotto, 24

Okay so he is a fairly sheltered pure offensive defenseman. Maybe we dont need more points from the blue line but he is 24 and has shown he can play better in the past. Worth the risk if you ask me, short term deal though.

There are quite a few decent options on D that are in the 27-29 area so ill stop here.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bennett - Backlund - Frolik/Soderberg
Bouma - Stajan - Jones
Ferland - Colborne - Jooris
Raymond/Shore/Granlund, Bollig

Giordano - Brodie
Russell - Wideman/Sekera
Del Zotto/Schlemko - Wideman/Engelland

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Soderberg is 29? No thanks. I was under the impression that he was a lot younger than that, and that he had room to grow, but he's 29 and not really an impact player. I don't think he's better than what we can provide from our own organization.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Frolik is a good target.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Frolik
Granlund-Bennett-Hudler
Bouma-Backlund-Jones
Ferland-Stajan-Colborne
Shore/Jooris/Bollig

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Soderberg is 29? No thanks. I was under the impression that he was a lot younger than that, and that he had room to grow, but he's 29 and not really an impact player. I don't think he's better than what we can provide from our own organization.

Yea I didnt really want to suggest him. The only forward I really want is Frolik. Soderberg would only be fine with me if it were a 2 maybe 3 year deal. I just dont think Colborne can handle top 6 minutes and Jones is better off on our third line.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Frolik would be great, but I'm sure the Jets will re-sign him. It's not like they're flush with winger depth.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Yeah I HIGHLY doubt we'll get either Frolik or Sekera(the latter being the longest shot).

this free agent class is just too thin this year. Only UFA I'd go after is Marty St. Louis. Give him a 1 yr deal worth 1M cap wise, but load up on bonuses etc. imagine a top 6 of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-St.Louis

that has some nice scoring to it.

Aug 21, 2014
Yeah I HIGHLY doubt we'll get either Frolik or Sekera(the latter being the longest shot).

this free agent class is just too thin this year. Only UFA I'd go after is Marty St. Louis. Give him a 1 yr deal worth 1M cap wise, but load up on bonuses etc. imagine a top 6 of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-St.Louis

that has some nice scoring to it.

Only if he gets us a Stanley cup. And that must the smallest top 6 in the whole league.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
yeah me too, I think he could have a great bounce back season with Hartley's system

Hartley's system is about speed, effort and physicality. Hodgson is a terrible skater, out of shape, and softer than butter. I highly doubt it.

Think regular season Colborne with better hands, but slower and out of shape.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
yeah me too, I think he could have a great bounce back season with Hartley's system

Why?

Hodgson is a terrible skater, is out of shape, and plays non-existent defense. That to me sounds like the exact opposite of a player that would thrive under Hartley.

^ FF beat me to it.

dcookson

Aug 20, 2014
The Hockey News website is reporting that the Blues will not be re-signing Barret Jackman. Granted, he's 34 and starting to slow down but could still be a useful, physical 3rd pairing D depending on the price. Any interest?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't get the Colborne hate, I know he struggled at times but overall he was one of our better players. Over a pro rated 82 game schedule, he was on pace to get 36 points. He's still young and learning to be a power forward, it's very realistic that he becomes a regular 45 point player. I also like him better on the wing, he was one of our most physical players and he's our biggest body. He has soft hands, good on breakaways and excellent in SO's. Personally I hope he's a Flame for a long time, I think he's pretty much on par with Backlund in terms of upside.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't get the Colborne hate, I know he struggled at times but overall he was one of our better players. Over a pro rated 82 game schedule, he was on pace to get 36 points. He's still young and learning to be a power forward, it's very realistic that he becomes a regular 45 point player. I also like him better on the wing, he was one of our most physical players and he's our biggest body. He has soft hands, good on breakaways and excellent in SO's. Personally I hope he's a Flame for a long time, I think he's pretty much on par with Backlund in terms of upside.

Except he's not. Just because he's big doesn't automatically make him a power forward. He was soft as butter during the regular season for 98% of it. I'll be the first to admit he was more physical in the playoffs. However, that doesn't make me a believer until he does it consistently.

I think you are thinking far too much of playoffs Colborne versus what we actually got in the regular season when you say he's one of our most physical players. He was also invisible for at least 50 games this year, besides taking stupid penalties.

How I would describe Colborne is a 30-40 point big bodied RW, who isn't the greatest skater, but has good hands. Tendency to make the occasional penalty. Money in the shootout.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's not young, young, but really he's only played 2 full seasons in the NHL. When he came to us, I would agree that he was as soft as butter, but he's increased his size and strength significantly since becoming a Flame. As a result, his regular season average hit totals also increased this year because to me he's learning to develop more of a power game. I think the coaching staff has really been working with him to use his size and impose himself out there, so I disagree in that yes he is leaning still to play a power game.

I've noticed a significant difference in his playing style since joining us. I'll admit he had a long insignificant stretch, but it could be that he was recovering from his injury still. This is speculation on my part, but it could be a reason why his physicality tailed off from the start of the season. He had a very strong start to the season in all areas.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He's not young, young, but really he's only played 2 full seasons in the NHL. When he came to us, I would agree that he was as soft as butter, but he's increased his size and strength significantly since becoming a Flame. As a result, his regular season average hit totals also increased this year because to me he's learning to develop more of a power game. I think the coaching staff has really been working with him to use his size and impose himself out there, so I disagree in that yes he is leaning still to play a power game.

I've noticed a significant difference in his playing style since joining us. I'll admit he had a long insignificant stretch, but it could be that he was recovering from his injury still. This is speculation on my part, but it could be a reason why his physicality tailed off from the start of the season. He had a very strong start to the season in all areas.

We'll see this upcoming season. Consistency is key. Otherwise I'm going to assume the start of last season and the playoffs were him on a hot streak. I would enjoy having to eat crow on this one.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Colborne is the type of player who is great to have on your team in a depth role, and because there are always going to be flaws in his game, I think he should remain a pretty cost-effective player for a long time. I'm with Hox, I like having this guy on my team.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
he also played almost the entire season needing wrist surgery

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't get the Colborne hate, I know he struggled at times but overall he was one of our better players.

He's 25 and was one of the worst possession players on the team, and he was unable to develop chemistry with a single other player on the team, except maybe Monahan who deserves to play with better players.

I don't hate Colborne, but I don't see him as a long term piece unless he takes significant strides at both ends and especially in the neutral zone where he's a non factor. I feel like we already have better RW pieces in guys like Jooris, Shore, Poirier, Klimchuk, and despite being 31, Hudler.

He was also guilty of some of the most boneheaded penalties this season, especially in the game against the stars and game 4 vs Anaheim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad