Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Cloned, Keep Soli | STAY AWAY CHIA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I'm going to allow it.

There's nothing out there in terms of rumors. Friedman just had his Oilers Now hit and nothing said perked my ears.

Proposals are being bandied about.

I can manufacture rumours about Cloned if you'd like. I'm sure we're all curious to know what exactly happened to Clonea, Cloneb, and Clonec.

Please enlighten us . Made up rumours are better then no rumours

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It's entirely possible that after he was suspended he had a conversation with the team and this was the agreed upon best course of action.

Maybe I should give the organization the benefit of the doubt.

It obviously worked out for the player in this case.

But I can't help but imagine a situation where this goes the other way. A player doesn't show up because they are depressed. They have their contract terminated. And then instead of working out it goes the other way and they kill themselves.

Obviously that is an extreme situation. But it's weird to me that 2 days after we see an event in Vancouver talking about the importance of recognizing and supporting those with mental health illness, largely in response to Rick Rypien killing himself, we see this story about a player having his contract terminated because of it.

Yeah, It really does seem strange. Especially with him saying buffalo terminated his contract and there's no hard feelings, almost as if it wasn't mutual.

He may have said no hard feelings, but if it really played out this way, buffalo is probably sweating bullets knowing how easily this could turn ugly if Berglund decided to go after them.

Reactions: Aerrol

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
It's a very fine line. If they can prove its an addiction/mental illness such as alcoholism, they're protected under discrimination laws.

Citing drinking on the job as a reason for dismissal is a very risky way to let someone go.
Nope, they're only covered if they come to their employer before they get caught showing up drunk.

If you show up drunk, you are fired for cause (violating the employee drug and alcohol policy).

Reactions: oXo Cube

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Nope, they're only covered if they come to their employer before they get caught showing up drunk.

If you show up drunk, you are fired for cause (violating the employee drug and alcohol policy).

I ran a shop in nisku for 4 years before going back to school 2 years ago, and the amount of people we ended up sending to rehab because we were informed by our lawyers that they could sue us was crazy.

It's not as cut and dry as having to ask for help first anymore, especially with mental illness. Part of the reason these people are where they are is because they're scared or unable to ask for help.

Reactions: Homesick

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the Oilers sign Stone and they are over the cap next season. Does it mean they forfeit the 2020 1st as penalty? A 1st for Stone is well worth it

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
If the Oilers sign Stone and they are over the cap next season. Does it mean they forfeit the 2020 1st as penalty? A 1st for Stone is well worth it

not that simple lol

(i) Impose a fine of up to $5 million in the case of a Circumvention by a Club or Club Actor, but in no circumstances shall such fine be less than $1 million against any Club or Club Actor if such party is found to have violated Article 50 of this Agreement. If such a fine is assessed against a Club (except in the case of a financial reporting violation), that Club's Payroll Room shall also be reduced by such amount for the following League Year, and if such reduction of the Club's Payroll Room renders the Club out of compliance with the Payroll Range (i.e., the Club does not have sufficient Payroll Room to accommodate its Player commitments comprising Club Salary) for such following League Year, then the Club must take such steps as are necessary (e.g., Assignment, Buy-Out, Waivers, etc.) and as are permitted by this Agreement to ensure that the Club will be in compliance with Article 50 of this Agreement upon
commencement of the following League Year;

(ii) Impose a fine against a Player of up to the lesser of $1 million or twentyfive (25%) percent of a Player's Paragraph 1 Salary in the case of a Circumvention by a Player or Player Actor, but in no circumstances shall such fine be below the lesser of $250,000 or twenty-five (25%) percent of the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary. Notwithstanding the $1 million limitation set forth above, any additional amounts by which the Player has been unjustly enriched due to the Circumvention shall be ordered to be disgorged;

(iii) Direct a Club to forfeit draft picks (the number, placement, and League Year of which shall be determined in the Commissioner's sole discretion);

(iv) Declare a forfeiture of any NHL Game(s) determined to have been affected by a Circumvention;

(v) Direct a Club to disclose and report to the Independent Accountants all information required by this Agreement, including, without limitation, by the provisions of Article 50;

(vi) Void any SPC, or any extension of an SPC, between any Player and any Club when both the Player or Player Actor and the Club or Club Actor are found to have committed such a violation with respect to such SPC or extension; and

(vii) Suspend any Club employee, Player, or Certified Agent involved in such a violation for a period of time determined in the sole discretion of the Commissioner, the System Arbitrator, or the NHLPA, respectively.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Interestingly enough Friedman talked about this today. It’s called flagging and the Oilers can’t have more then the 79M committed for next season.

Edit: also wanted to add the other interesting thing nobody is talking about. Friedman said there’s potential we see the 1st packaged with a bad contract to move it. Also talked a bit on Puljujarvi and that he may go for another player that a team wants to get rid of. Not getting premium value.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
It's entirely possible that after he was suspended he had a conversation with the team and this was the agreed upon best course of action.

Maybe I should give the organization the benefit of the doubt.

It obviously worked out for the player in this case.

But I can't help but imagine a situation where this goes the other way. A player doesn't show up because they are depressed. They have their contract terminated. And then instead of working out it goes the other way and they kill themselves. Obviously that is an extreme example. But these things happen. Maybe it's just weird to me that 2 days after we see an event in Vancouver talking about the importance of recognizing and supporting those with mental health illness, largely in response to Rick Rypien killing himself, we see this story about a player having his contract terminated because of it.

This captured my thoughts on it really well too. Given the lack of harsh words from Berglund I'm inclined to believe that the team spoke with him before terminating the contract but it still just seems odd to not have to pay him through LTIR or something.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Random thought but looked at Carolina’s forward situation going into next year. Lucic+1st for Ferland. They have 5 forwards signed right now and Lucic gives them the toughness they’re looking for. Just a thought

Reactions: fuswald

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Interestingly enough Friedman talked about this today. It’s called flagging and the Oilers can’t have more then the 79M committed for next season.

Edit: also wanted to add the other interesting thing nobody is talking about. Friedman said there’s potential we see the 1st packaged with a bad contract to move it. Also talked a bit on Puljujarvi and that he may go for another player that a team wants to get rid of. Not getting premium value.

Its called "Tagging" not flagging. The league has tagging rules in the CBA and you cannot have more than the current years cap hit committed to the following year than the current years cap hit.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I want us to do the following:
1) get an upcoming UFA winger who has a plus shot or can work the crease well like Dzingel, Ferland or Simmonds;
2) pry loose a centre who has talent but is struggling like Wennberg from CBJ to anchor a third-line and run the second unit powerplay; and
3) get a winger who can enter the zone cleanly and hold on to the puck like Burakovsky or Nichushkin, which would allow us to have either have two zone entry threats on the second line or to have a proper zone entry threat on the third.

Depending on the player, I would be willing to dangle any pick save for the 2019 1st or any prospect save Puljujarvi and Bouchard.

If we can guarantee an extension for someone like Stone, then I would be willing to deal Nurse or Puljujarvi.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
How would you guys feel if we traded our 1st top 10 protected along with Sekera for Pageau and Dzingle with an extension in place. Let's say the new deal for Dzingle is 6 years, 4.5 per.

Reactions: A91

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I want us to do the following:
1) get an upcoming UFA winger who has a plus shot or can work the crease well like
2) pry loose a centre who has talent but is struggling like Wennberg from CBJ to anchor a third-line and run the second unit powerplay; and
3) get a winger who can enter the zone cleanly and hold on to the puck like Burakovsky or Nichushkin, which would allow us to have either have two zone entry threats on the second line or to have a proper zone entry threat on the third.

Depending on the player, I would be willing to dangle any pick save for the 2019 1st or any prospect save Puljujarvi and Bouchard.

If we can guarantee an extension for someone like Stone, then I would be willing to deal Nurse or Puljujarvi.

1. Get Dzingle
2. Get Pageau (hits, PKs, checks top lines, wins faceoffs, has term)
3. Get Simmonds (leadership, PP, physical RW)

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
How would you guys feel if we traded our 1st top 10 protected along with Sekera for Pageau and Dzingle with an extension in place. Let's say the new deal for Dzingle is 6 years, 4.5 per.

Thats a no brainer

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Random thought but looked at Carolina’s forward situation going into next year. Lucic+1st for Ferland. They have 5 forwards signed right now and Lucic gives them the toughness they’re looking for. Just a thought
I actually texted Stauffer about this very idea, no idea if he read it as I didn't listen to the end of OIlers Now

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
I say we just stick with the exact same roster next season but try to add some players from waivers and make a few trades for some overpriced 7th Dmen with term.
I think you stumbled upon Chia's "plan" scribbled on a naplin somewhere

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
Stauffer also mentioned the potential to send some salary away with the 1st for a player

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Stauffer also mentioned the potential to send some salary away with the 1st for a player

We don't really have a choice unfortunately.

My biggest concern is that were not even going to get okay value for the first since it'll likely have to be combined with a cap dump.

As if our trade history isn't bad enough, just imagine if we had to include an anchor to go along with hall

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
This might be doable by both sides.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I’ve been pushing this idea for a while, but it doesn’t make sense for Ferland imo. You’ve got to get to next summer, after Lucic’s bonus, so his salary drops to 4 per

I say we just stick with the exact same roster next season but try to add some players from waivers and make a few trades for some overpriced 7th Dmen with term.

I was worried for a second there. Lots of people have suggested one or the other of the first two...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad