Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Cloned, Keep Soli | STAY AWAY CHIA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which side?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Legit Question: So, I'm not aware of this rule, but over at Lowetide's blog he stated that because McLeod didn't sign his ELC, his contract won't slide. Does this mean that he is exposed to the expansion draft?

If he didn’t sign his ELC he doesn’t have a contract to slide. He won’t be exposed in the expansion draft.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
While I don't mind Ferland as a player and I do think he could help us, I'd much rather get Maroon, I'm thinking he's about 75% the player that Ferland is, but comes at likely less than 1/10th the cost and is atleast somewhat likely to sign a discount extension here after the season concludes. Second thing could Chia f*** off already with adding toughness on top of toughness, Manning and Petrovic were geared towards this, we could really benefit from a bit more skill in the line-up, I thought he was starting to be convinced that his old Bruins template wouldn't work when he said we needed more speed, but now he's off that and back onto his old habits grits, toughness, and no "sexy "players. The other thing I hate about trying to acquire tough players is they come with a premium and they really aren't worth that premium in the modern NHL unless your team is completely devoid of it.

Reactions: LaGu and Aerrol

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
If people want a rumor I can say it sounds like Mike Reilly is walking away from the Eskimos :((wrong thred I know)

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Then flush the cap space for next year. No need to prolong these mistakes even further into the future. If you ****ed up, suck it up and suffer the consequences. No need to **** it up for your successor too.

Let’s hope Chias gone before the buyout window opens because I can legit see him buying out Spooner. I mean he bought out Gryba of all people...lol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Anybody who thought that we WOULDN'T be buying out or releasing these players when we obtained them isn't really paying attention.

So you're saying our GM isn't paying attention? Well.............yeah.....I guess that makes sense.

Reactions: KarmaPolice

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Let’s hope Chias gone before the buyout window opens because I can legit see him buying out Spooner. I mean he bought out Gryba of all people...lol

Stunning that the Gryba buyout actually ended up hurting us more than the needless buyout cap hit. If he was in the minors for us, we could have just called him up during the D injury trouble instead of trading for that turd Mandog.

But, at least we didn't hurt Gryba's feeling a bit and make him be a poor guy making a million bucks in the AHL...which he's doing right now anyways.

Reactions: Faelko and TB12

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Patrick Berglund quotes:

"I felt terrible and was tired of hockey"

"I missed a practice and a game. Buffalo did the right thing to terminate my contract, no hard feelings at all towards the organizstion"

"Now when i am home in sweden again i feel good mentally. Money is not everything for me"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He might be worth a PTO down the line after he mentally recharges, but a pretty clear sign to steer clear of him for now.

Reactions: LaGu

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Stunning that the Gryba buyout actually ended up hurting us more than the needless buyout cap hit. If he was in the minors for us, we could have just called him up during the D injury trouble instead of trading for that turd Mandog.

A lot of short-sighted moves, including the Gryba buyout and the Manning buyout. The Strome/Spooner trade didn't seem especially well thought out either. That's troubling. Does he actually have a plan in place? Doesn't really seem so.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Patrick Berglund quotes:

"I missed a practice and a game. Buffalo did the right thing to terminate my contract, no hard feelings at all towards the organizstion"

"Now when i am home in sweden again i feel good mentally. Money is not everything for me"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He might be worth a PTO down the line after he mentally recharges, but a pretty clear sign to steer clear of him for now.

He should take as much time as he needs for his mental health. Your sanity and being mentally healthy are much more important than money. We'll see maybe down the road, but I also wouldn't want him if he's not all in, and he probably shouldn't return if he can't get to that point as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Patrick Berglund quotes:

Is it just me or is completely f***ed up that the Sabres terminated his contract because his mental health had deteriorated to that point?

Maybe I'm just reading into it and it wasn't mental health related. In which case fine.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Is it just me or is completely ****ed up that the Sabres terminated his contract because his mental health had deteriorated to that point?

To be fair, they terminated his contract because he stopped showing up at his job.

Could the Sabres have done more to help him with his issues? Probably, but that's a much bigger societal problem we're still working on as a collective.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Is it just me or is completely ****ed up that the Sabres terminated his contract because his mental health had deteriorated to that point?

Maybe I'm just reading into it and it wasn't mental health related. In which case fine.

Im really surprised of how this happened too. I mean he broke team protocol and terms of his contract, but that's a damn good reason.

It's like when an employee shows up drunk, you have to try and help, you cant just throw them out because of the drinking.

I mean, if he didn't communicate with buffalo and just said "yeah I'm going home", they really wouldn't have a choice other than to terminate though.

Weird situation all around.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton

It is definitely weird, if a player had an injury that they were struggling with consistently would the team not make their best effort to help with healing before parting ways? It's okay to put a guy on LTIR for a concussion or something like that, but this kind of problem is not recognized in the same way. Most sports have a lot of growing and improving to do in this area. Especially with all of the known science in relation to concussions and their effect on people's mental health.

Edit: Obviously it's tough to actually comment on the specifics of the situation as we don't know them, and him notifying the team would probably have gone a long way. However, there is still a stigma around disclosing mental health issues, especially in sports

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Considering losing a job would cause some to commit suicide I'd hope the league and PA look at how to deal with this better going forward.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Uh what?

You absolutely can fire someone for showing up to work drunk. Happens all the freaking time.

It's a very fine line. If they can prove its an addiction/mental illness such as alcoholism, they're protected under discrimination laws.

Citing drinking on the job as a reason for dismissal is a very risky way to let someone go.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Uh what?

You absolutely can fire someone for showing up to work drunk. Happens all the freaking time.
And companies get sued because of it now. You are suppose to offer help first now and if they don't accept it you can fire them with little backlash.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Im really surprised of how this happened too. I mean he broke team protocol and terms of his contract, but that's a damn good reason.

It's like when an employee shows up drunk, you have to try and help, you cant just throw them out because of the drinking.

I mean, if he didn't communicate with buffalo and just said "yeah I'm going home", they really wouldn't have a choice other than to terminate though.

Weird situation all around.

It's entirely possible that after he was suspended he had a conversation with the team and this was the agreed upon best course of action.

Maybe I should give the organization the benefit of the doubt.

It obviously worked out for the player in this case.

But I can't help but imagine a situation where this goes the other way. A player doesn't show up because they are depressed. They have their contract terminated. And then instead of working out it goes the other way and they kill themselves. Obviously that is an extreme example. But these things happen. Maybe it's just weird to me that 2 days after we see an event in Vancouver talking about the importance of recognizing and supporting those with mental health illness, largely in response to Rick Rypien killing himself, we see this story about a player having his contract terminated because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad