Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
This Bob guy seems pretty wishful...

reunited Sekera-Faulk duo would be pretty awesome..

ivanthebad*

You would have to think that any GM factors in RNH's circumstances in Edm. Like I said earlier, looking at his rookie year where he had more help, he would have won the Calder if not for injury.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I can tell you RNH won't have a Datsyuk career without even having to fast forward. I did mention that RNH had a incredible rookie season. One for the ages. But that's probably what he will be remembered for.

RNH did have a better rookie season than Eichel but everyone would take Eichel 11/10 times if a trade was made.

I watched a fair bit of RNH in junior. His top end is reflected far more in his rookie year than since.

You really have to look at the type of player RNH is. How badly the Oilers threw him under the bus in terms of quality of competition. How many different coaches he has had. How good he has actually played under those circumstances and how young he still is.

I now believe a Datzyuk type career is unlikely because he has somehow taken a step back offensively (probably injuries play into this). But to completely write it off is premature.

He had time to develop still. He is a small cerebral player that shouldn't hit his peak for another couple years.

Using Datzyuk as an example is a good way to look at it. Similar player in so many ways. Just needs to take the next step.

Even if he doesn't elevate his game to Datzyukian levels he will have a good career.

A great number #2 two way center at worst, and on many teams an ok #1.

6 mill doesn't get you much these days. While slightly overpaid now he had a lot of term And over the course of his contract should be well worth it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You would have to think that any GM factors in RNH's circumstances in Edm. Like I said earlier, looking at his rookie year where he had more help, he would have won the Calder if not for injury.

Yak would have won it if he wasn't Russian

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Here is a copy and paste of a post by Chaotic Orange the day of the interview. Josi's name was literally suggested by Stauffer, followed by him cacktracking when Friedman laughed at the suggestion.

Quote:

Elliote Friedman was just on Stauffer's show. I didn't catch all of it because I was on a sales call, but very interesting stuff.

Very much worth noting that while Friedman didn't think the Oilers had the moveable horses to get Jones - IE, that Nashville probably would have said no to RNH for Jones, and that Nashville probably viewed Johansen as a better fit, he hastened to mention that he loves RNH, 'could play for my team anytime', and thinks he's very underrated around the league (someone could have mentioned this already). IIRC it went something like this.

Bob: I wouldn't trade RNH for hope.

Friedman: 100% Agreed.

Bob: I wouldn't trade RNH unless the Oilers are winning the trade today.

Friedman: Yeah, I can agree with that.

Bob: Roman Josi.

Friedman: Nashville wouldn't do that.

Bob: I know, but to me, that's the kind of deal it would take for RNH.

So, if Chiarelli thinks like Bob does - and Bob is usually pretty careful to not have differing opinions than the organization does - we can pretty safely assume that while Nashville might have said no to a Jones - RNH swap, Edmonton very likely would have turned that down as well.

I think we're talking about two different things.
I was referring to what he had reported the Oilers could have got, and you're referring to what the Oilers would have asked for.
He didn't just spend one day talking about NSH-EDM stuff, I was talking about his overall dialogue over the course of a week or 2.
Based on the fact that a deal was never made probably suggests we're both right .

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think we're talking about two different things.
I was referring to what he had reported the Oilers could have got, and you're referring to what the Oilers would have asked for.
He didn't just spend one day talking about NSH-EDM stuff, I was talking about his overall dialogue over the course of a week or 2.

Huh? I thought this was about what Stauffer said? Not what the Oilers could have, would have, or thought they could get for RNH. You said he (Stauffer) never suggested RNH for Josi. I distinctly remember him suggesting that and Friedman laughing at the suggestion. You said Bob literally never suggested Josi, which he did.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Yak would have won it if he wasn't Russian

So then we can count out Panarin for the Calder this season as well, right?

Landeskog was great in his rookie season and very much deserved the award. He was/is physical, efficient, consistent and a locker-room leader. Basically, the opposite of what Yak was/is.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
So then we can count out Panarin for the Calder this season as well, right?

Landeskog was great in his rookie season and very much deserved the award. He was/is physical, efficient, consistent and a locker-room leader. Basically, the opposite of what Yak was/is.

Landeskog beat out RNH. Huberdeau beat out Yak.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Not really. If he'd have stayed healthy, he could have been close to 70 points in 3 of his 5 seasons. I wouldn't call it a reach.

How do you figure that? He played 80 games in 13/14, 76 games in 14/15, and wasn't scoring anywhere near a pace that would put him close to 70. Of his 3 injury interrupted seasons, only his rookie season saw him score at a 70 point pace.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
How do you figure that? He played 80 games in 13/14, 76 games in 14/15, and wasn't scoring anywhere near a pace that would put him close to 70. Of his 3 injury interrupted seasons, only his rookie season saw him score at a 70 point pace.

yeah but the games he was hurt were the ones he was going to get the most points in

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not really. If he'd have stayed healthy, he could have been close to 70 points in 3 of his 5 seasons. I wouldn't call it a reach.

He's never been on pace for 70 points. Other than his rookie year where he would have been on pace for 68 points in 82 games, which he hasn't come remotely close to repeating, he hasn't been close to being on pace for 70 points.

Year 2: 24 in 40. On pace for 49
Year 3: 56 in 80. On pace for 57
Year 4: 56 in 76. On pace for 60
Year 5: 34 in 55. On pace for 50

We've got a pretty good baseline of what RNH is. And it's certainly not a 70 point player.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
- Justin Faulk is Carolina’s best player. He’s the team’s best defenseman, the biggest offensive threat on the blueline and the #1 option on the PP. Faulk wears a letter and may potentially be the next captain of the Canes.

- Based on the defensive pairs the Canes ended the season with, the Top 4 looks like it will be Faulk and the three sophomores (Hanifin, Pesce and Slavin) going into next season. Trade Faulk and it will probably be Wisniewski and the three sophomores as that Top 4. Big difference, imo.

- U25, Carolina is up there with the best in the league in terms of defense. On the left side, the Canes have Hanfin, Slavin, Fleury and Carrick. On the right side after Faulk, there’s Murphy, Pesce and McKeown. Subtract Hanifin, Slavin or Fleury and the left side still looks stronger than the right side minus Faulk, no?

- Faulk is locked up for the next 4 seasons at an excellent cap hit and fair real salary. Considering that Carolina actually has to spend a decent amount of money this offseason just to get to the floor, there’s no financial or cap pressure that would motivate a trade.

- For better or worse, Carolina is coming out of a rebuild, not starting one.

- Carolina has internal options in the middle to explore in Lindholm and potentially Aho before making a Johansen/Jones-like swap for a center. Carolina needs a winger or two, imo, to help make Lindholm or even Aho’s transition to center successful. Carolina has trade assets (notably 21 picks over the next 2 drafts, including 4 Top 50 picks in June) and budget space to acquire the player(s) via trade or free agency.

Considering those factors, I find it very hard to believe that Justin Faulk will be available this summer.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
"We have a trade announcement"

"Montreal Canadiens trade the 9th pick to the Edmonton Oilers for Nail Yakupov"

"The Oilers organization are please to select Pierre Luc Dubois and Mikhail Sergachev"

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
- Justin Faulk is Carolina’s best player. He’s the team’s best defenseman, the biggest offensive threat on the blueline and the #1 option on the PP. Faulk wears a letter and may potentially be the next captain of the Canes.

- Based on the defensive pairs the Canes ended the season with, the Top 4 looks like it will be Faulk and the three sophomores (Hanifin, Pesce and Slavin) going into next season. Trade Faulk and it will probably be Wisniewski and the three sophomores as that Top 4. Big difference, imo.

- U25, Carolina is up there with the best in the league in terms of defense. On the left side, the Canes have Hanfin, Slavin, Fleury and Carrick. On the right side after Faulk, there’s Murphy, Pesce and McKeown. Subtract Hanifin, Slavin or Fleury and the left side still looks stronger than the right side minus Faulk, no?

- Faulk is locked up for the next 4 seasons at an excellent cap hit and fair real salary. Considering that Carolina actually has to spend a decent amount of money this offseason just to get to the floor, there’s no financial or cap pressure that would motivate a trade.

- For better or worse, Carolina is coming out of a rebuild, not starting one.

- Carolina has internal options in the middle to explore in Lindholm and potentially Aho before making a Johansen/Jones-like swap for a center. Carolina needs a winger or two, imo, to help make Lindholm or even Aho’s transition to center successful. Carolina has trade assets (notably 21 picks over the next 2 drafts, including 4 Top 50 picks in June) and budget space to acquire the player(s) via trade or free agency.

Considering those factors, I find it very hard to believe that Justin Faulk will be available this summer.

These are all tremendous points that I agree on. But we as fans need to come to the understanding we have about 0 insight into what a GM is thinking or what will happen in future. All talk is purely speculations

For instance this could have been done last season with Dougie Hamilton

-Hamilton is a RFA and Bruins are under no obligation to trade him

-Hamilton has been groomed as Chara heir and the two have played together for two years. He is the Bruins future #1D

-Bruins are an older team with cap issues, Hamilton is young and the future. He is last guy to go

-It would take a ridiculous overpayment to even get convo started, no use discussing

We can discuss Faulk/Subban but have understanding there is a 0.00001% chance it happens. Plus Oilers are out of playoffs again. We need to discuss ever top pairing D in length again. I think this is Faulk rd 3 in past 3 months on HF Oil

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
With 100 to 1 odds my prediction for the biggest offseason trade is 4th overall + Nail Yakupov + 2017 1st for PK Subban.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Oh and btw Panarin already roasting Chicago about their cap situation, which is about to get very ugly

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
"We have a trade announcement"

"Montreal Canadiens trade the 9th pick to the Edmonton Oilers for Nail Yakupov"

"The Oilers organization are please to select Pierre Luc Dubois and Mikhail Sergachev"

The Oilers are pleased to miss the playoffs for the next 3 or 4 more seasons while these prospects develop into NHLers

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Anyone think a guy like Seabrook might be available?

His contract is kind of scary, but he would step right in and be our best defenceman.

I'd move Klefbom for Seabrook at a 10 to 20% discount quite easily. I'd even throw in picks. Assuming we did nothing else:

Maroon-McDavid-Kassian/Eberle
Hall-Drai-Kassian/Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Pak/Korpi
Klink-Hendricks-Cracknell

Sekera-Seabrook
Davidson-?????
Nurse/Reinhart-Pardy/Gryba/Fayne

Talbot
Broissoit/?????

Then you could Dangle RNH for a top pairing RHD, and maybe sign a guy like Backes. That easily puts us in the money. Lets you pick a kid like Dubois or Tkachuk and develop them as well.

Jun 9, 2011
"In all my years of professional hockey experience I have never seen such woeful cap management"
whoa!

In defense of the Blackhawks, it seems to be taking a long time for GM's to figure out how the cap works most efficiently. Young players and picks are going to be worth a lot more, they already are. I can't see them letting Pan go, they will shuffle the lineup somehow to fit him in. Buy someone out, trade?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Anyone think a guy like Seabrook might be available?

His contract is kind of scary, but he would step right in and be our best defenceman.

I'd move Klefbom for Seabrook at a 10 to 20% discount quite easily. I'd even throw in picks. Assuming we did nothing else:

Maroon-McDavid-Kassian/Eberle
Hall-Drai-Kassian/Eberle
Pouliot-RNH-Pak/Korpi
Klink-Hendricks-Cracknell

Sekera-Seabrook
Davidson-?????
Nurse/Reinhart-Pardy/Gryba/Fayne

Talbot
Broissoit/?????

Then you could Dangle RNH for a top pairing RHD, and maybe sign a guy like Backes. That easily puts us in the money. Lets you pick a kid like Dubois or Tkachuk and develop them as well.

Go see how quickly Hawks fans jump at that offer and then re-evaluate why you think that might be. Seabrook is signed forever, at a huge cap hit, and is slowing down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad