Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Our blue line has size already though ... Klefbom, Nurse, Gryba, Reinhart are all big dudes. Even Davidson is pretty big.

We need desperately goal scoring, PP QB, and a guy who can join the rush from back there.

That's completely killing us, the PP alone probably lost us 5-6 games.

I agree with this, Vatanen or dreaming bigger, Barrie are what this team needs. That plus Demers or Hamonic to round out the top 4. Vatanen could get easy minutes and Fayne could handle middle pairing minutes, or Barrie could play 2nd pairing easy. I'm comfortable with Demers or Hamonic on top pair.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Our blue line has size already though ... Klefbom, Nurse, Gryba, Reinhart are all big dudes. Even Davidson is pretty big.

We need desperately goal scoring, PP QB, and a guy who can join the rush from back there.

That's completely killing us, the PP alone probably lost us 5-6 games.

I'm not saying we don't need him, they do. I just think we need more than just him. Vatanen is playing with Lindholm right now so he might look better than he actually is. Being the pillar on a pairing as supposed to the co pilot is a whole different story.

My ideal summer sees Edm getting Vatanen and Hamomic

My dream summer is
Subban and some like Demers

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt Eberle can make it through an entire playoff series unscathed. Guys lay off the open ice shots, and finishing big hits in the regular season because they know someone is going to fight them for a clean hit. Not in the playoffs. Eberle and Nuge scare me in the playoffs for this very reason. I feel its just way too physical for them

I'm fine with trading both players, but that's ridiculous. They would be good in the playoffs. Even in these current playoffs, there's plenty of room for the smaller skilled players, and in fact they are important to score goals. I'm guessing we are trading one of those two, and I'm sure the one that stays will look like a new player if the defense is fixed.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If we want to win a Stanley Cup yes we need more than Vatanen.

But if our goal is to make the playoffs next year, Vatanen + Klefbom not having a zombie virus is a monstrous upgrade to our blue line and you still likely have RNH and Eberle to dangle as trade pieces.

We need to be all over Vatanen. Allllll over that. Anaheim can't afford him, just offer sheet him you have to.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Vatanen is a very good add, but they need another guy to challenge for not bottom-five. Vatanen is a top-4 guy easily, but that can't be it.

Jun 9, 2011
Unless we're getting Shea Weber (and even if) we wouldn't win next year.

I'd rather be going into a playoff round with Dubois-McDavid than McDavid-Eberle in 2 years time.

I also agree that although it might not be the best move, I see Chiarelli dealing Eberle first chance he gets. His style of play and size does not gel with what Chia is trying to turn this team into.

Also it helps with our cap and our expansion draft if we move out Eberle compared to the pick

And as far as the winning now rather than later talk goes, trading Eberle for a defence man gets us closer to winning sooner

I don't look at it as replacing him with the draft, maybe in the long run the 4th overall pick could replace him but in the short term you trade Eberle for a defence man than sign a 2nd line winger

I'm talking about 2-3 years from now when this team (is hopefully) ready to make some real runs. You gonna go to war with Jordan Eberle stapled to McDavid's wing, a guy who'll probably be pinned to the boards for an entire 7 game series or a power forward like Dubois who'll be 6'3 220+ by then.

The Oilers make the playoffs next year if the only trade they make is for Sami Vatanen and the rest are all minor move as long as McDavid/Klefbom don't suffer such freak long term injuries again.

Mind you I wouldn't expect them to go deep in the playoffs, but it'll be a nice learning experience, and they'll have a chance to add more help at the deadline too.

I am so happy to see like minded people on our board. The mains are almost, oh no, that's not enough, your player is so much dreamier, let me give your more of our valuable assets to set ourselves up in cap hell while ridding ourselves of pesky talent.

:handclap:

We are building a team. It's not a one year process. This year Nurse, Davidson, Reinhart and Klefbom will get stronger, faster and smarter. We add a good defense for Eberle (maybe 2 defense by the deadline when we don't rely on RNH so much) and we make the playoffs. Not the cup, but the playoffs. Meanwhile, we stock the cupboards in Bakersfield so we can continue the way Detroit used to, just move in cheap contracts that are NHL ready and have a good team in our system for the guys to get acclimatized. Build a team that has been together for a long time and plays for each other. We don't want to start with a lot of high price/talent older players that win the cup and we end up Chicago this year, but after one year instead of after mulitple cups.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

But if our goal is to make the playoffs next year, Vatanen + Klefbom not having a zombie virus is a monstrous upgrade to our blue line and you still likely have RNH and Eberle to dangle as trade pieces.

We need to be all over Vatanen. Allllll over that. Anaheim can't afford him, just offer sheet him you have to.

Well I think we have the pieces to make a little run with some good adds and subtractions. Perfect storm right now, Vatanen and Hamonic available. Lets make both happen. Going to have to trade the 4th to make both happen though.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
4th + Yakupov
for
Justin Faulk

Eberle + 2nd (2017)
for
Hamonic

Klefbom - Faulk
Sekera - Hamonic
Davidson - Fayne
Gryba

Nurse - Reinhart top pair in AHL

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Can someone explain why Hamonic would agree to be traded to the Oilers when a flight from Edmonton to Winnipeg is about the same as a flight from New York to Winnipeg? There are lines that need to be read between in the whole Hamonic situation. He wants to go to Winnipeg and probably only Winnipeg. The whole "he wants to move out west" narrative seems, to my mind, to be an obvious attempt to avoid stating outright that the Winnipeg Jets will be the Islanders' only trading partner.

I doubt there is a trade to be made between the Islanders and Oilers for Hamonic, but one can hope. Things are possible, I guess.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm not saying we don't need him, they do. I just think we need more than just him. Vatanen is playing with Lindholm right now so he might look better than he actually is. Being the pillar on a pairing as supposed to the co pilot is a whole different story.

My dream summer is

I can't recall in the playoffs, but vatanen never played with lindholm in the regular season. His most common partner was clayton stoner and after that Simon depres. I agree with you though that he's not enough on his own

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
On Sportsnet's Facebook page, they did pre-lottery interviews with the Canadian GMs.

Chiarelli was asked to talk about some of the other players outside of the Top-3. Mentioned by name (and emphasized not in any particular order): Tkachuk (also mentioning we don't have a player that is a net front presence, mentioned Maroon has some of this), Juolevi (but was prompted seconds earlier), Brown, Chychrun, Sergachev.

Anyways, the reason I bring this up is the mention of no player on our roster being that net front presence. Andrew Shaw is a name you'll hear plenty of, but I imagine Chiarelli would want someone bigger. Another item to add to the offseason shopping list.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Chiarelli's obsession with size is getting a little concerning. Having a mix, sure, but he seems to mention it at every opportunity.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chiarelli's obsession with size is getting a little concerning. Having a mix, sure, but he seems to mention it at every opportunity.

Maybe because we still only have one functional top 6 regular who has any real size in Maroon?

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Well Lindholm is their #1 guy playing the hardest competition. Vatanen saw third pairing match ups for the majority of the year. Bieksa's pairing and Lindholm's pairing seen the toughest comp.

I also don't think Vatanen would do as well in Edmonton because of his size. He would be fine if we also brought in a Hamonic type but by himself he wouldn't make as big of an impact as you suggest

The bolded statement makes absolutely no sense. Trading Vatanen to a different team doesn't all of the sudden make him play "smaller" and less effectively. He played the majority of the regular season with either Stoner, Despres, or Bieksa then the playoffs with Lindholm. All Vatanen needs to be successful is to be paired with a bigger, complementary defenseman. We saw him really excel in the playoffs because Lindholm provided that size and much, much more.

My dream summer is

As I mentioned above, Vatanen played all of 7 games with Lindholm. Otherwise he played the majority of this season with Stoner. Over the past 2.5 seasons, Vatanen has been the "pillar" on his pairing.

Now look at Hamonic. He is most often paired with de Haan, who I'm sure all of you would say is a more competent defenseman than Stoner.

Currently, Anaheim likely cannot afford him. GMBM isn't one to let past mistakes force new mistakes though. If he and his staff feel Vatanen brings more to the table than Fowler, I'd imagine he trades the latter. Keep in mind GMBM can look to trade Despres or Stoner as well. Although the situation is tense, it's more liquid than people make it out to be.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Can someone explain why Hamonic would agree to be traded to the Oilers when a flight from Edmonton to Winnipeg is about the same as a flight from New York to Winnipeg? There are lines that need to be read between in the whole Hamonic situation. He wants to go to Winnipeg and probably only Winnipeg. The whole "he wants to move out west" narrative seems, to my mind, to be an obvious attempt to avoid stating outright that the Winnipeg Jets will be the Islanders' only trading partner.

I doubt there is a trade to be made between the Islanders and Oilers for Hamonic, but one can hope. Things are possible, I guess.

There could be a multitude of reasons. Might want to move his family with him and for whatever reason, living in the states isn't an option. Or he just likes canada. Who knows.

Besides, is there even a direct flight from winnipeg to new York?

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Maybe because we still only have one functional top 6 regular who has any real size in Maroon?

Yeah, but Hall/McDavid are part of the top-6 and their size is irrelevant and likely Draisaitl too, who is a pretty big dude. Pouliot is big and fast. RNH and Eberle aren't big but Eberle might not even be here long anyways.

Its really not a big deal but he mentions it soooo much.

"We need to get bigger because we're in the west" just seems like focusing on the wrong stuff.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

Is Pouliot not a functional, top-6 winger with size? Could've sworn I heard a couple people describe him as such when attempting to pawn him off to Anaheim :sarcasm:

Seriously, though. If Chiarelli is really focusing on adding size to his forwards, why would he trade Pouliot?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, but Hall/McDavid are part of the top-6 and their size is irrelevant and likely Draisaitl too, who is a pretty big dude. Pouliot is big and fast. RNH and Eberle aren't big but Eberle might not even be here long anyways.

Its really not a big deal but he mentions it soooo much.

"We need to get bigger because we're in the west" just seems like focusing on the wrong stuff.

Could also be that any time to puck goes along the wall/corners, the other team ends up getting it, usually with Eberle on his ass or something.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
What do people think about:

Yakupov
for
Shaw + Bickell (potentially some retained)

Wasn't Chicago tied to Yakupov a while back? They can cut a ton cap without giving up anyone of significant value.

A 3rd line of Kassian-Shaw-Bickell could muck up some serious sh!t. :naughty:

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Is Pouliot not a functional, top-6 winger with size? Could've sworn I heard a couple people describe him as such when attempting to pawn him off to Anaheim :sarcasm:

Seriously, though. If Chiarelli is really focusing on adding size to his forwards, why would he trade Pouliot?

Pouliot is such an underrated player. If he was able to stay healthy these last two years people would see he's absolutely a top-6 guy.

Could also be that any time to puck goes along the wall/corners, the other team ends up getting it, usually with Eberle on his ass or something.

Sure, but he still puts up 60+ points usually. The Oilers aren't really a small team though, and I hope he's not trying to recreate the 2011 Bruins or 2012 Kings because the game is about speed and skill now. The Sharks dominated the Kings with their speed this year.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

Just from doing a quick google search of flights from Brooklyn to Winnipeg the fastest flight I can find is 5.5hrs and that doesn't include US customs.

Winnipeg to Edmonton has multiple flights of under 2 hours and no customs

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
I can't recall in the playoffs, but vatanen never played with lindholm in the regular season. His most common partner was clayton stoner and after that Simon depres. I agree with you though that he's not enough on his own

Right now I think Vatanen is currently playing on the top line with Lindholm. He's doing fine there but he has Lindholm as his partner...

When he played with Stoner that was 3rd pairing stuff and he played 3rd pairing quality of comp.

He's a good player but not a top pairing guy unless he has a true #1 paired with him.

He is probably a solid second pairing guy and #1 PP unit guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad