Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd either be adding to the pick with a big asset (Hall or RNH) to get an elite option; that, or trading down for an asset and a pick, and then flipping the pick again.

For example...

4th and Reinhart for Bogosian and the 8th

And then the 8th for Shattenkirk/Vatanen/Barrie

Klefbom-Bogosian
Sekera-Shattenkirk/Vatanen/Barrie
Davidson-Fayne

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Why are you assuming Davidson will be on the opening day roster?
Because that's a reasonable assumption.

Avenger said:
There's a chance that if we upgrade the right side we may possibly have to move Davidson in the deal. There's no reason to believe that Davidson is untouchable especially when we have a log jam on the left side.
Nowhere did I say Davidson was untouchable, but he's played well for us and he's an actual late pick D that has worked out pretty well for us and while 3rd pairing is the reasonable place to slot him to start, he did legitimately play like a 2nd pairing guy for a decent chunk of this past season. It's normal to be concerned about losing a good player for potentially nothing.

Avenger said:
We would also have an additional off season after this one to prepare for an expansion draft. Make moves for the best right hand d-men possible and worry about the draft if/when it happens. You don't fail to make moves because you are worried about potentially losing what would be a bottom pairing d-man for us.
There will be a rash of teams scrambling to get some value out of players they have to expose, if you can do something pre-emptively before **** hits the fan you should do so, cause there will be a ton of teams selling and it will be hard to get proper value.

My post didn't at all indicate protecting Davidson was something I was planning on doing, I said my initial plan was to add someone like Hamonic and then a PP guy e.g. Vatanen, but that would leave us with 4 d-men we have to protect (Klefbom, Sekera, Hamonic, Vatanen), with only 3 spots available to protect our guys, we would likely lose one to an expansion team.

While you can't be terrified of making moves for a what if scenario, but if we have to parlay for example 4th overall + Nurse in two seperate deals to get Hamonic + Vatanen & Quality prospect; and then have to expose one of Hamonic or Vatanen the very next off-season, when the 4th overall pick (whomever we draft) and Nurse are assets we don't have to protect in the expansion draft, that would be a colossal blunder. I agree with the premise of getting the highest quality RHD should be our priority, dropping futures for a strong balanced roster though is something the expansion draft has the potential to punish.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I'd either be adding to the pick with a big asset (Hall or RNH) to get an elite option; that, or trading down for an asset and a pick, and then flipping the pick again.

For example...

4th and Reinhart for Bogosian and the 8th

And then the 8th for Shattenkirk/Vatanen/Barrie

Klefbom-Bogosian
Sekera-Shattenkirk/Vatanen/Barrie
Davidson-Fayne
Bogosian is a tougher version of Mark Fayne.

Avenger*

Because that's a reasonable assumption.

Nowhere did I say Davidson was untouchable, but he's played well for us and he's an actual late pick D that has worked out pretty well for us and while 3rd pairing is the reasonable place to slot him to start, he did legitimately play like a 2nd pairing guy for a decent chunk of this past season. It's normal to be concerned about losing a good player for potentially nothing.

There will be a rash of teams scrambling to get some value out of players they have to expose, if you can do something pre-emptively before **** hits the fan you should do so, cause there will be a ton of teams selling and it will be hard to get proper value.

My post didn't at all indicate protecting Davidson was something I was planning on doing, I said my initial plan was to add someone like Hamonic and then a PP guy e.g. Vatanen, but that would leave us with 4 d-men we have to protect (Klefbom, Sekera, Hamonic, Vatanen), with only 3 spots available to protect our guys, we would likely lose one to an expansion team.

While you can't be terrified of making moves for a what if scenario, but if we have to parlay for example 4th overall + Nurse in two seperate deals to get Hamonic + Vatanen & Quality prospect; and then have to expose one of Hamonic or Vatanen the very next off-season, when the 4th overall pick (whomever we draft) and Nurse are assets we don't have to protect in the expansion draft, that would be a colossal blunder. I agree with the premise of getting the highest quality RHD should be our priority, dropping futures for a strong balanced roster though is something the expansion draft has the potential to punish.

Not necessarily. There are 29 other teams. Many of which will be leaving a top 4 defenseman unprotected. You build the best roster possible and then protect your top performers. At this point all of the rules haven't even been laid out but with teams having to make a specific portion of their roster available and having to protect NMC's there's a good possibility that the expansion team(s) will have better options then anything we are able to bring in. I simply don't believe in this mind set that GM's should be afraid to make moves based on the expansion draft. If that's the case, we'd be looking at more bottom 5 finishes until the draft takes place. There's also a good possibility that we lose a forward rather then a d-man. It's all speculation at this point.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
If NMCs basically = you have to protect ... Columbus is 100% ****ed. They gotta protect Saad and Jenner I think, they bet the farm on Saad and Jenner is their no.1 center. That could make the 4th overall for Seth Jones look really attractive to them.

This won't happen... but if Columbus was balls out enough to get BOTH Finns but needed a close landing spot for Winnipeg to drop to.

1. TOR - Matthews
2. CLB - Laine
3. CLB - Puljujarvi
4. WPG - Tkachuk/Dubois

Where we walk out with Seth Jones somehow. Somehow...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
EDM 1st 2017 (top 5 protected) + Nail Yakupov @1 mill retained or Griffin Reinhart
for
Sami Vatanen

Basically like a "nice" offer sheet, they get our 1st for next year, but we retain our 2nd/3rd, and they get a player who can play right away (Yak or Reinhart) at a low salary. Keeps Anaheim under their self imposed cap.

To NYI: Jonas Brodin
To MIN: Jordan Eberle, Mark Fayne
To EDM: Travis Hamonic, Thomas Vanek @1 mill retained

Dunno what if anything Vanek has in the tank, but that prevents Minny from having to buy him out which is the rumor.

Hall Draisaitl Vanek
Pouliot McDavid Maroon
Dubois RNH Kassian
Hendricks Letestu Pakirenen

Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Vatanen
Davidson Nurse

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
EDM 1st 2017 (top 5 protected) + Nail Yakupov @1 mill retained or Griffin Reinhart
for
Sami Vatanen

Basically like a "nice" offer sheet, they get our 1st for next year, but we retain our 2nd/3rd, and they get a player who can play right away (Yak or Reinhart) at a low salary. Keeps Anaheim under their self imposed cap.

To NYI: Jonas Brodin
To MIN: Jordan Eberle, Mark Fayne
To EDM: Travis Hamonic, Thomas Vanek @1 mill retained

Dunno what if anything Vanek has in the tank, but that prevents Minny from having to buy him out which is the rumor.

Hall Draisaitl Vanek
Pouliot McDavid Maroon
Dubois RNH Kassian
Hendricks Letestu Pakirenen

Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Vatanen
Davidson Nurse

hmmmmm. not bad, except for the helicopter 2nd line. I'd like McD to have at least one winger of a higher calibre.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
hmmmmm. not bad, except for the helicopter 2nd line. I'd like McD to have at least one winger of a higher calibre.

Thing is arguably those are the two players that McDavid seemed to click best with. Eberle was still very hot/cold even with McDavid. I guess if the Ducks take Reinhart (which they probably would) over Yakupov in the Vatanen deal, you still have Yak, but how long does that experiment continue ...

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If we can get Sekera to waive his NMC:

Sekera + Yakupov + 4th overall for Subban

MTL kinda replaces Subban on D and adds Dubois and Yak.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
when I left it with NYI fans last night we add(they said)

Islander fans would say we add for Hamonic even if the deal was Hall. They're out to lunch on his value, dude has scored over 30 points one time in his career and his career high in goals is 5.

Yes he plays tough minutes ok, good, great, in the West the Islanders would lose in round 1.

It's just not enough offence from the back end from him, we already two players in Klefbom and Nurse that will be that similar type of player (good all around D-Men, not the highest end offensive D).

To be honest too I think the guy wants to be in Winnipeg and Winnipeg only really, if he has family issues there then its not like you can hop in a car and drive to Winnipeg from here and be back for practice no problem. I don't want a guy who's heart is 13 hours away.

Chicago is a closer drive to Winnipeg than Edmonton is, it's not like we're exactly next door.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Why do people want Bogosian?

That's a bad idea, the guy has been steadily declining every year since Atlanta moved to the Peg and then with the Sabres.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why do people want Bogosian?

That's a bad idea, the guy has been steadily declining every year since Atlanta moved to the Peg and then with the Sabres.

He is big, physical and still young... Also he wouldnt be the main peice coming back if you are talking about the 4th overall for Bogosian + 8th overall proposal..

Chiarelli said in his post lotto interview that picks 4-10 are pretty much interchangeable in his opinion so we would pretty much be getting Bogo for free.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Islander fans would say we add for Hamonic even if the deal was Hall. They're out to lunch on his value, dude has scored over 30 points one time in his career and his career high in goals is 5.

Yes he plays tough minutes ok, good, great, in the West the Islanders would lose in round 1.

It's just not enough offence from the back end from him, we already two players in Klefbom and Nurse that will be that similar type of player (good all around D-Men, not the highest end offensive D).

To be honest too I think the guy wants to be in Winnipeg and Winnipeg only really, if he has family issues there then its not like you can hop in a car and drive to Winnipeg from here and be back for practice no problem. I don't want a guy who's heart is 13 hours away.

Chicago is a closer drive to Winnipeg than Edmonton is, it's not like we're exactly next door.

Fact is he wants a trade west and we need him. 4th should be a done deal. Even if we add so what. We have McDavid with 2 years left on his ELC. We need players now, not in the future.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Fact is he wants a trade west and we need him. 4th should be a done deal. Even if we add so what. We have McDavid with 2 years left on his ELC. We need players now, not in the future.

What does that have to do with anything? This was McDavid's rookie season.. He is going to be an Oiler for a looong time... Adding him in convo to get the "time to freak out" mode going means nothing.

Fact is that he wants a trade out west and unless he changes his mind NYI has no choice but to trade him this offseason..

Not sure how NYI GM would be in a commanding position here.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Why would we trade Eberle when we have the 4th to trade them?

Because Eberle is not a big, nor a 2-way player, makes 6M, will have to be protected for expansion draft.

A Chiarelli team would prefer Dubois\Tkachuk over Eberle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad