Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
You're probably right. Wonder if Trouba could be available though if the Isles trade Hamonic to the Jets. Trouba for Hamonic probably makes more sense but maybe the Isles don't want to pay him what he's looking for. Just a thought if the Oilers can't get Hamonic.

Trouba is an interesting case... but he is young and still, at least to me, has not established what kind of D he is or can become. I don't know, some people had the same excitement over Bogosian and I am a little troubled because I could see Trouba becoming like that -- unfulfilled promise. I don't see him getting moved though. He's 22, big shot, can be physical when he wants to, and very importantly is cost controlled for the time being. If you were WPG's GM would you trade him?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
If it costs Hall, + the 4, and you don't even get a flip of picks, it's an overpay. Further to that, he is making 9 million. You will have to pay McDavid 10 in all likelihood, once his entry deal is done. Pretty tough having $19 million tied up in two players. I think Chiarelli can find other ways of addressing D without having to go mythical whale hunting ala Lowe circa 2006.

Couldn't agree more. Hall + is borderline overpay given Subbans salary.

I still think Habs might bite on 4th + Nuge or Klefbom.

Hell if it's Nurse I would even consider

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
You get Subban and he will play 25-30 min a game for you. Who cares about $9 mil per year. Are you going to care paying McDavid over $10?

I said it earlier but you get Subban and you have a top 10 C and D. Not many teams can say the same.

You have to manage the cap though. Teams like Chicago can do it because they have far better drafting acumen than the Oilers, with enough talent pushing up through the system to be able to pare down and adjust the NHL roster without losing much ground. We... do not have that luxury. Even with Subban, I still do not see a playoff team. I don't like this unicorn hunting stuff, it reminds me of Lowe far too much. You can spread the 9 million around and get better value in an additional puck moving/shooting D, is how I feel. Clearly a couple of you at least like going all in for the big game though. I'm just not one of them (and I still don't think Subban is that great in his own zone).

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You have to manage the cap though. Teams like Chicago can do it because they have far better drafting acumen than the Oilers, with enough talent pushing up through the system to be able to pare down and adjust the NHL roster without losing much ground. We... do not have that luxury. Even with Subban, I still do not see a playoff team. I don't like this unicorn hunting stuff, it reminds me of Lowe far too much. You can spread the 9 million around and get better value in an additional puck moving/shooting D, is how I feel. Clearly a couple of you at least like going all in for the big game though. I'm just not one of them (and I still don't think Subban is that great in his own zone).

I'd be fine with Subban if Montreal retained 2M on the contract. At 9M he's overpaid and it reduces his value immensely.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Just realized how much we suck with so many high picks and have so little in the cupboard. Seems like all the teams that rebuild after us are either catching up and passing us.

If the Leafs sign Stamkos which is more likely now, that's going to be a scary good team with Babcock leading the way

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Just realized how much we suck with so many high picks and do little in the cupboard. Seems like all the teams that rebuild after us are either catching up and passing us.

If the Leafs sign Stamkos which is more likely now, that's going to be a scary good team with Babcock leading the way

They've discovered these things called the 2nd and 3rd round.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I'd be fine with Subban if Montreal retained 2M on the contract. At 9M he's overpaid and it reduces his value immensely.

They are really tight to the cap though, and I cannot see them retaining if they decide to turf him. To me, a $9 million D man absolutely has to be top notch at both ends of the ice. Agreed that at the price point, the value isn't there. If the drafting and farm system was in a better place, I'd be far more willing as an Oilers fan to be all in too. But we're not. If Chiarelli is truly thinking of this, then he needs to get a flip of draft position (and preferably, have a prospect thrown in too if it's Hall going the other way on top of the pick).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just realized how much we suck with so many high picks and have so little in the cupboard. Seems like all the teams that rebuild after us are either catching up and passing us.

Counter point: McDavid will be the best player in the NHL very soon and probably for a long time. You have nothing to complain about, the hockey gods blessed this team big time despite its stupid management pre-Chia.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Counter point: McDavid will be the best player in the NHL very soon and probably for a long time. You have nothing to complain about, the hockey gods blessed this team big time despite its stupid management pre-Chia.

So McDavid is all we need to win a cup?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, RNH, Eberle, a no.4 pick this year, Klefbom, Nurse ... if your GM can't build eventually a contender out of that ... then your GM is incompetent. That doesn't mean you keep all those players, but you move those that need to be moved and keep a few of them.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I liked this proposal from a Sabres fan on the mains Bogosian and 8th overall for the 4th overall and a 3rd

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, RNH, Eberle, a no.4 pick this year, Klefbom, Nurse ... if your GM can't build eventually a contender out of that ... then your GM is incompetent. That doesn't mean you keep all those players, but you move those that need to be moved and keep a few of them.

Personally I think we like to overrate the Oilers players. Most of these guys are skilled but failed to play a structural game and failed to build any chemistry. We are so weak on the right side. No#1 or #2D. I mean we are 2nd last with near nothing in the cupboard. We keep wasting picks. And we do trade its for a guy like Reinhart :(

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

We need a highend offensive dman. Sergachev fits the bill. I'd move Nurse for Hamonic, and Pouliot+ for Vatanens. Sign a few wingers in free agency.

We should be playoff contenders next year if we add Hamonic and Vatanen. The year after I predict Sergachev would be ready and that's when we'd become contenders if we are going to be. Chia has to be really careful with the pick to ensure he doesn't become the next Milbury by trying to get his team into the playoffs to quickly.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Why would a team with 3 RHD and a 4th?

they have middling assets making it easier to facilitate a fair trade unlike Edmonton, Hall for Hamonic - well by now (hopefully) we all know that would be stupid. Eberle for Hamonic, unlikely.

WPG and NYI can just swap D essentially and both teams are capable of adding an asset or two to make a deal happen if need be.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

They have few to any players who have won anything, no good vets, maybe 2 potential #2/3 Dman. Defense is still a tire fire. GMs around the league looking to lowball Chiarelli under any and all circumstances.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
they have middling assets making it easier to facilitate a fair trade unlike Edmonton, Hall for Hamonic - well by now (hopefully) we all know that would be stupid. Eberle for Hamonic, unlikely.

WPG and NYI can just swap D essentially and both teams are capable of adding an asset or two to make a deal happen if need be.

What assets? And with the expansion draft coming I can't see them wanting to do that. They're stacked on the right side, they need a LHD.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I liked this proposal from a Sabres fan on the mains Bogosian and 8th overall for the 4th overall and a 3rd
I actually like the idea of trading down a few spots for a pick and defenceman. Potential ideas (that might need value added on either side):

to ARI: 4th overall
to EDM: 7th overall, Murphy

to BUF: 4th overall
to EDM: 8th overall, Bogosian

to MON: 4th overall
to EDM: 9th overall, Beaulieau

to COL: 4th overall
to EDM: 10th overall, Barrie

to NJD: 4th overall
to EDM: 11th overall, Severson

Some of those need some basic tweaking (we would definitely have to add for Barrie) but the basic idea works. Even with trading down, we'd likely get at least one of Chychrun, Sergechev, Juolevi, or Fabbro.

Another idea I like:

to EDM: Vatanen, Silfverberg
to ANA: 4th overall, Yakupov

I would then look at moving Nurse + Eberle for Hamonic and something else (maybe Nelson?).

Maroon-McDavid-Silfverberg
Hall-RNH-Draisaitl

Sekera-Hamonic
Klefbom-Vatanen

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010

Really? the Oilers are monsters for throwing 18/19yr olds into the league and expect them to get the team out of the gutter but somehow that will work for the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad