Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Subban Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dubois is not going to be an impact player for several years. And he could just as easily bust as be dominating.

**** like have some of you not learned about banking on prospects potential.

I don't think so, 6 foot 3, has speed and hell of a shot plus is a mean mofo. Can't teach any of that. He'll be in the NHL very soon and will be a handful.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
How about

To Jets:
Eberle
Davidson
prospect/pick

To Oilers:
Trouba

Trouba needs a raise, probably north of 5M, just had a down year, shoots Right. Eberle's at 6M and won't need a transition period to the NHL. Laine/Pulju will make more on entry level than #4 pick/Davidson too which offsets salary. Winnipeg gets extra assets too which is important as a budget team.

Oilers give up a cost controlled Davidson who was playing well on 2nd pair but get another right shot and some toughness in Trouba as well as #2 pick to draft Laine who obviously has size and a great shot.

Probably only works if Winnipeg really likes a Dubois/Tkachuk/Nylander or one of the D prospects.

Thoughts?

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Klefbom/Nuge + 4th overall for Subban

Posters not gonna like suggesting Klefbom but guy can't stay healthy ever.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They want a max cap team for next season with little/no chance at any playoff revenue?

I'd still consider an offer sheet on Seth Jones.

So they are going to deal Jones to clear cap space? I don't get the logic. I'm not trying to pick on you about this, I just don't see any plausible scenario where the Jackets deal Jones considering who they dealt for him. It just doesn't make sense on any level for them and seems like an unrealistic option for Chia.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So they are going to deal Jones to clear cap space? I don't get the logic. I'm not trying to pick on you about this, I just don't see any plausible scenario where the Jackets deal Jones considering who they dealt for him. It just doesn't make sense on any level for them and seems like an unrealistic option for Chia.

Look at their cap structure, if they pay (or are forced to pay) Jones $6 million they are right up against the cap ... for an American team that likely isn't sniffing playoffs in a non-traditional market ...

Johansen situation is unfortunate, I don't think they wanted to make that trade but got forced into taking the best return at the time.

Dubois is a very similar type of player to Johansen and they get Puljujarvi, I'd add in Griffin Reinhart and the $5 million in cap room they get by not having to sign Jones.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
How about

To Jets:
Eberle
Davidson
prospect/pick

To Oilers:
Trouba

Trouba needs a raise, probably north of 5M, just had a down year, shoots Right. Eberle's at 6M and won't need a transition period to the NHL. Laine/Pulju will make more on entry level than #4 pick/Davidson too which offsets salary. Winnipeg gets extra assets too which is important as a budget team.

Oilers give up a cost controlled Davidson who was playing well on 2nd pair but get another right shot and some toughness in Trouba as well as #2 pick to draft Laine who obviously has size and a great shot.

Probably only works if Winnipeg really likes a Dubois/Tkachuk/Nylander or one of the D prospects.

Thoughts?

No one in the top 3 is trading down. It's probably best to let the Laine dream die a quiet death (look at the poor sap who chose 'Laineiscoming' as his nick name :laugh:).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No one in the top 3 is trading down. It's probably best to let the Laine dream die a quiet death (look at the poor sap who chose 'Laineiscoming' as his nick name :laugh:).

I'll be honest, I don't feel Laine or Puljujarvi are necessarily better than Dubois. Dubois can play center too, whereas the both of them are strictly wingers.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Look at their cap structure, if they pay (or are forced to pay) Jones $6 million they are right up against the cap ... for an American team that likely isn't sniffing playoffs in a non-traditional market ...

Johansen situation is unfortunate, I don't think they wanted to make that trade but got forced into taking the best return at the time.

Dubois is a very similar type of player to Johansen and they get Puljujarvi, I'd add in Griffin Reinhart and the $5 million in cap room they get by not having to sign Jones.

And their D turns into garbage. Lots of teams are not stupid like the Oilers, they know that building from the net out is most key to team success.

If they are worried about being tight against the cap, there are a million other options that they would choose to clear space before dealing Jones. Ridding themselves of the Hartnell contract for starters.

And I don't think Dubois is similar to Johansen at all, he's more of a Benn type.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
And their D turns into garbage. Lots of teams are not stupid like the Oilers, they know that building from the net out is most key to team success.

If they are worried about being tight against the cap, there are a million other options that they would choose to clear space before dealing Jones. Ridding themselves of the Hartnell contract for starters.

Don't see many teams taking that contract. Cap space is not monopoly money anymore, GMs are clamping down especially on taking long term contracts on old players.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I'll be honest, I don't feel Laine or Puljujarvi are necessarily better than Dubois. Dubois can play center too, whereas the both of them are strictly wingers.

That's fine if you like the player, I liked what I read and saw of him too but if you heard Chiarelli's post draft lottery interview, it sounded as if we would not be using it (unless he isn't able to make something happen to address D issues). In fact I'd almost say it's a certainty we'll be picking lower, as he seeks to parlay the 4 into an NHL D + extra assets.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

And I don't think Dubois is similar to Johansen at all, he's more of a Benn type.

Yeah well, Jamie Benn is a pretty good player, lol, but we don't really have that type of a player either.

I'd make more of an arguement to keep the Dubois pick and move the softer RNH instead. Really what is the longer term plan for RNH here anyway? Is he going to play 3C at 6 million dollars per and being a 50 point player maybe?

Both Calgary and Vancouver fans are licking their chops over Dubois and pissed they are not in the top 4.

oilz89*

Well it wouldn't be just the pick, would it? Come on, contribute meaningfully to the discussion instead of 'lol'.

I'm just saying that if you have a chance to get a player like Subban you take it. The 4th overall pick won't help us this season and we want to be a good team NOW. Not in 2 years

lol :sarcasm:

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

You're probably right. Wonder if Trouba could be available though if the Isles trade Hamonic to the Jets. Trouba for Hamonic probably makes more sense but maybe the Isles don't want to pay him what he's looking for. Just a thought if the Oilers can't get Hamonic.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Subban is the dream for sure. You exhaust every scenario to get him. If you can't well then you turn your attention to Hamonic, Vatanen erc

oilz89*

.... yeah i picked the name because I've been a big fan of his since last year... not because i thought Edmonton will get him. I'm still going to be his fan when hes in Peg. In other words, i picked my name because of Laine. Not because he'd be coming here

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
I'm just saying that if you have a chance to get a player like Subban you take it. The 4th overall pick won't help us this season and we want to be a good team NOW. Not in 2 years

lol :sarcasm:

If it costs Hall, + the 4, and you don't even get a flip of picks, it's an overpay. Further to that, he is making 9 million. You will have to pay McDavid 10 in all likelihood, once his entry deal is done. Pretty tough having $19 million tied up in two players. I think Chiarelli can find other ways of addressing D without having to go mythical whale hunting ala Lowe circa 2006.

oilz89*

If it costs Hall, + the 4, and you don't even get a flip of picks, it's an overpay. Further to that, he is making 9 million. You will have to pay McDavid 10 in all likelihood, once his entry deal is done. Pretty tough having $19 million tied up in two players. I think Chiarelli can find other ways of addressing D without having to go mythical whale hunting ala Lowe circa 2006.

Name another player in the NHL like Subban. You have a chance to get him you take it!!

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Yeah well, Jamie Benn is a pretty good player, lol, but we don't really have that type of a player either.

I'd make more of an arguement to keep the Dubois pick and move the softer RNH instead. Really what is the longer term plan for RNH here anyway? Is he going to play 3C at 6 million dollars per and being a 50 point player maybe?

Both Calgary and Vancouver fans are licking their chops over Dubois and pissed they are not in the top 4.
Or don't trade your only center over the age of 20 not named letestu. Unless they sign a veteran 3rd line center who can move up in to top 6 trading Rnh=no playoffs again especially if mcdavid or Draisaitl get injured.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
You get Subban and he will play 25-30 min a game for you. Who cares about $9 mil per year. Are you going to care paying McDavid over $10?

I said it earlier but you get Subban and you have a top 10 C and D. Not many teams can say the same.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Dubois/Tkachuk don't excite me...these guys are years away from impact NHLers and winger don't hold the value of centers/defensemen

trade the pick...enough with "potential"

get a freaking d-man already

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Or don't trade your only center over the age of 20 not named letestu. Unless they sign a veteran 3rd line center who can move up in to top 6 trading Rnh=no playoffs again especially if mcdavid or Draisaitl get injured.

RNH is not the difference between us making the playoffs or not. I dunno. I prefer Dubois. Can't teach 6 foot 3 200+ pounds, if we ever want to do anything in this conference we need a star player like him.

I'd rather move RNH, what is his long term role going to be here? 3C for 6 million dollars isn't going to work.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

All this talk about Dubois and I bet the Oilers consider Tkachuk over him if they decide to make the pick which seems unlikely. Tkachuk seems more like that mucker that Chia endears to.

If they do take Dubois, I hope you're not expecting him to be the RNH replacement because that's some Macellini thinking there. RNH is still their most experienced top 9 center. If they deal him, they better damn well have a backup solution to bring in a legit veteran 3rd line center otherwise, you have Letestu as your 3rd line center again and are one injury away from Letestu in the top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad