Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Domi or Cirelli or anyone that fills the need I don't care who it is, it's all about availability, cost to get said player and how well would that player fit into our lineup. Whoever it is, is going to cost the Jets a pretty penny to get......no one is doing us any favours, no is taking our 20 nickels and calling it equal to a dollar. I think some here are being pretty optimistic on the values of our players/prospects and low balling other teams players. Let's hope Chevy gets a good deal and doesn't negatively affect our core. Also good chance Chevy does nothing for a 2C this summer depending how he views the costs of other teams 2C, Littles future and couple our young players futures.

I am in the same boat as you. I don’t think we have the assets to get that 1b/2a Centre we need without giving up something that is really going to hurt.
I’m starting to think our best and most realistic option is an offer sheet for a Sergachev, Cirelli, Barzal etc. That is dependant on whether Little comes back or retires. We (could) have a lot of cap space to make an unmatchable offer and I like to think our picks over the next 4-5 years are late rounders.
It may be time for Chevy to make a bold move!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Also I don't share the sentiments that we don't have the assets to get a center in a trade.

The Blues have acquired two in the last 3 years and didn't have to give up a single marque roster player to do it.

They gave up a number of first round picks and a few decent prospects but no grade A roster players.

Chevy has given up a number of firsts and some prospects for rentals. In hindsight he should have used those assets for a long term fit.

If the org wants to be bold this summer they can sacrifice a first and a good prospect and secondary roster player for one.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Habs have an abundance of young centers.
Suzuki, Poehling, Kotkaniemi...
I would like to see Chevy trade for one of those if he can't pick up a vet 2C.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Also I don't share the sentiments that we don't have the assets to get a center in a trade.

The Blues have acquired two in the last 3 years and didn't have to give up a single marque roster player to do it.

They gave up a number of first round picks and a few decent prospects but no grade A roster players.

Chevy has given up a number of firsts and some prospects for rentals. In hindsight he should have used those assets for a long term fit.

If the org wants to be bold this summer they can sacrifice a first and a good prospect and secondary roster player for one.

While I don’t disagree in theory it could happen, see some past examples it’s all about timing & a bit of luck. Those trades don’t always come up or aren’t available so no one should assume it will happen this summer and if it doesn’t chevy failed. Example: If I win the lottery once doesn’t mean I’ll ever win it again. Of course I’m exaggerating to make my point, but the point is there......timing & luck play a huge factor in such trades. If timing and/or luck isn’t there at the time and you try to force a trade you end up overpaying or just no trade is even available.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It seems quite possible that the salary cap will be flat for next season. The Jets should be in fine shape if Buff doesn't return, and it could provide some opportunities to pick up players at a bargain price, either through trade or free agency. Also, there might be options to use cap space to acquire some assets by taking on a bad contract (short-term), though I doubt that the Jets would go that route.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
It seems quite possible that the salary cap will be flat for next season. The Jets should be in fine shape if Buff doesn't return, and it could provide some opportunities to pick up players at a bargain price, either through trade or free agency. Also, there might be options to use cap space to acquire some assets by taking on a bad contract (short-term), though I doubt that the Jets would go that route.

That would be the hope, albeit shouldn’t be taken as a given. Fingers crossed

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just a reminder of where the Jets will be next season in terms of salary cap if the cap is stagnant at 81.5M, which seems likely.

I've made a couple of key assumptions...

Buff is finished as a Jet.

Jets re-sign DeMelo (4 years) and Kulikov (1 year) and their RFAs for the projected salaries from Evolving Hockey.

As you can see, the Jets would have about $2.8-3.5M in cap space (on a 23 or 22 man roster), including Little.

If Little is on LTIR for the season, then they would have as much as $8.5M in cap space.

If Little is back, they could trade Roslovic and end up with as much as around $6.4M in cap space.

All-in-all, the Jets should be okay from a cap perspective next season, even with a cap that is stagnant or goes down a bit.

If Buff comes back at $7.6M cap hit, they would need to trade Roslovic or Perreault (difficult), and replace Kulikov with a cheap D (ELC or cheap UFA).

upload_2020-3-19_14-15-50.png

Last edited:
Reactions: snowkiddin

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I thought the Jets released Buff from his contract?? Why would he come back?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While I don’t disagree in theory it could happen, see some past examples it’s all about timing & a bit of luck. Those trades don’t always come up or aren’t available so no one should assume it will happen this summer and if it doesn’t chevy failed. Example: If I win the lottery once doesn’t mean I’ll ever win it again. Of course I’m exaggerating to make my point, but the point is there......timing & luck play a huge factor in such trades. If timing and/or luck isn’t there at the time and you try to force a trade you end up overpaying or just no trade is even available.

I agree that the opportunity would need to be available. I just think if there is the opportunity then Chevy needs to be aggressive and act on it.

I think that Chevy very clearly will need to make some roster upgrades this summer if we are to bounce back up the standings.

Retaining DeMelo would be a good start as well as getting Samberg inked.

He will have to add or retain a vet dmen to expose in the expansion draft.

With that being said I think adding a legit two C would add a lot to the forward core.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I thought the Jets released Buff from his contract?? Why would he come back?
I don't think anything has been finalized with Buff's contract. Last I heard, his contract was still suspended, and if he decides to come back the Jets would have the option in terms of whether his contract is two more years (i.e. tolled last season) or one more year.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Just a reminder of where the Jets will be next season in terms of salary cap if the cap is stagnant at 81.5M, which seems likely.

I've made a couple of key assumptions...

Buff is finished as a Jet.

Jets re-sign DeMelo (4 years) and Kulikov (1 year) and their RFAs for the projected salaries from Evolving Hockey.

As you can see, the Jets would have about $2.8-3.5M in cap space (on a 23 or 22 man roster), including Little.

If Little is on LTIR for the season, then they would have as much as $8.5M in cap space.

If Little is back, they could trade Roslovic and end up with as much as around $6.4M in cap space.

All-in-all, the Jets should be okay from a cap perspective next season, even with a cap that is stagnant or goes down a bit.

If Buff comes back at $7.6M cap hit, they would need to trade Roslovic or Perreault (difficult), and replace Kulikov with a cheap D (ELC or cheap UFA).

View attachment 337465
-Buff is gone
-Lose Little (retired, LTIR, or traded), Perreault (Vesa can take his slot cheaper), and Kulikov (zero reason to keep an anchor)
-Trade for a 2C (Cirelli or Domi...likely 2 best available options)

Connor (7,142,857) - Scheifele (6,125,000) - Wheeler (8,250,000)
Ehlers (6,000,000) - Cirelli/Domi (6,500,000) - Laine (6,750,000)
Vesalainen (894,000) - Lowry (2,916,666) - Roslovic (3,000,000)
Harkins (882,000) - Copp (2,280,000) - Appleton (783,500)
Shore (708,000)

Morrissey (6,250,000) - DeMelo (4,000,000)
Samberg (925,000) - Pionk (3,000,000)
Beaulieu (1,500,000) - Poolman (775,000)
Dahlstrom (850,000)

Hellebuyck (6,166,666)
Brossoit (2,000,000)

Cap Hit: 77,698,689

We still need a proper partner for Morrissey on the top line. Ideally DeMelo drops to the middle pairing and Pionk drops to the bottom 2, but cap dictates that.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Let's hope not.

No problem with Domi as long as we don't overpay, either the trade price or the contract that comes after it.

Edit: I suspect both prices may be too high. But Domi is OK as a player.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

A flat cap would make TBL's situation that much tougher.

We don't know yet how this virus thing is going to affect the cap but it is reasonable to assume it will reduce it from what it would otherwise have been. I can see a worst case where it actually goes down.

The effect it is having on the $C may lead to Jets having an internal budget < the cap too.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
-Buff is gone
-Lose Little (retired, LTIR, or traded), Perreault (Vesa can take his slot cheaper), and Kulikov (zero reason to keep an anchor)

Shore (708,000)

Dahlstrom (850,000)

Hellebuyck (6,166,666)
Brossoit (2,000,000)

We still need a proper partner for Morrissey on the top line. Ideally DeMelo drops to the middle pairing and Pionk drops to the bottom 2, but cap dictates that.
Pionk is a top 4 guy. Your expectations are too high.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree that the opportunity would need to be available. I just think if there is the opportunity then Chevy needs to be aggressive and act on it.

I think that Chevy very clearly will need to make some roster upgrades this summer if we are to bounce back up the standings.

Retaining DeMelo would be a good start as well as getting Samberg inked.

He will have to add or retain a vet dmen to expose in the expansion draft.

With that being said I think adding a legit two C would add a lot to the forward core.

I think retaining DeMelo is a big first step. Our D corps was much better right from his firat game. It is not just his play. It is also the effect on the other players, like Poolman not having to try and play 1st pair, for example.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
-Buff is gone

Shore (708,000)

Dahlstrom (850,000)

Hellebuyck (6,166,666)
Brossoit (2,000,000)

Little is not going to retire. I know he has had a couple of blows to the head, but AFAIK he still has most of his marbles. He can't be LTIR'd unless he fails his medical. I think a trade is extremely difficult. It would cost a good part of the assets we would need to trade for a replacement. He could be bought out. So could Perreault.

You are dumping on Kulikov and keeping Beaulieu?
I would keep Sbisa for 1(ish) mil over either of them but I would would keep Kuli also for 1.5(ish) also and send Dahlstrom to the Moose.

I wouldn't mind keeping Brossoit but he hasn't earned a raise this year, much less a 33% one.

If we get a RHD man to push DeMelo down it is DeMelo who plays on the 3rd pair, not Pionk

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If we get a RHD man to push DeMelo down it is DeMelo who plays on the 3rd pair, not Pionk
If this happens and Slamberg makes the team, I'd like to see Pionk with Slamberg but I wouldn't hesitate one second playing DeMelo in defensive situations. I like what both bring to the game and they would be a nice pairing if one shot left. Who knows, maybe DeMelo-Slamberg are our shutdown pair in a couple/few seasons...

JMo ?x?
Slamberg Pionk
Heinola DeMelo
Niku/Poolman

If Poolman is our 7D or our 4RHD, the D lineup isn't too bad.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Little is not going to retire. I know he has had a couple of blows to the head, but AFAIK he still has most of his marbles. He can't be LTIR'd unless he fails his medical. I think a trade is extremely difficult. It would cost a good part of the assets we would need to trade for a replacement. He could be bought out. So could Perreault.

You are dumping on Kulikov and keeping Beaulieu?
I would keep Sbisa for 1(ish) mil over either of them but I would would keep Kuli also for 1.5(ish) also and send Dahlstrom to the Moose.

I wouldn't mind keeping Brossoit but he hasn't earned a raise this year, much less a 33% one.

I don’t even know where to start on this...

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Took a major break as I was very heartbroken having a 4 game winning streak snapped by this virus. But I have a few things on my mind so here we go.

If the salary cap stays the same or drops because of the season being cancelled then we are probably sitting in one of the best situations in the league. Are team would be as is and room to squeak a tweak or two next year.

Alot of teams will have to blow things up if the cap drops even the slightest. There will be alot of turnaround and bargains in the summer.

If the season resumes,the way the last games play out and how many games we would have left drastically impact our chances. With the games in hand teams have on us we might not get in.

Eakins is a upgrade on Lowry not a replacement for little.

If we can sign demelo for 4 mil a year long term we do it. He isnt worth 6 as some posters feel he is. If we can get him locked for cheap and pair him with morrisey to free up money for improvements elsewhere then great if not see ya.

Take care everyone. Thank sweet baby jesus that zelda breath of the wild is a long ass game

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
-Buff is gone

Shore (708,000)

Dahlstrom (850,000)

Hellebuyck (6,166,666)
Brossoit (2,000,000)

One of the better rosters I have seen lately. Only problem is Heinola wont be here after the trade to get the 2C especially if it's a cap crunch move from Tampa. Most likely our first as well.

And a top 6 player like ehlers or laine wont be playing with Domi they would be getting traded the other way.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
One of the better rosters I have seen lately. Only problem is Heinola wont be here after the trade to get the 2C especially if it's a cap crunch move from Tampa. Most likely our first as well.

And a top 6 player like ehlers or laine wont be playing with Domi they would be getting traded the other way.
We would not trade Ehlers or Laine for Domi/Cirelli it would be a horrendous trade it would be something around a first roslovic and Samberg or Stanley if they want a big D ;) Domi would never return either player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad