Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ehlers-Copp-Laine scored 5 goals in their 59 minutes together. The sample size is small for stats, but even moreso for the eye test. I like Copp much better than Eakin as an option for C in the top 6. He's produced about the same as Eakin 5v5 over the past few years.

Anyway, my opinion is "no" on Eakin. Redundant for the Jets.

And I have already conceded that. You and others have convinced me. I never touted Eakin. I used him as a possibility in the absence of anything else. I think Little is still a possibility but I don't have a lot of confidence in him. It will be almost a year since he played, unless the season is delayed, then it will be longer. Will he be as good as before? We will have to wait and see. But that was not considered good enough for the last 2 seasons he played.

Copp is not an option, IMO. I pushed for him to be given a chance for quite some time. I think he got his chance this year. I thought it was a lot more than just 59 min. How much of his time at 2C was with wingers other than the Ehlers/Laine combination?

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
And I have already conceded that. You and others have convinced me. I never touted Eakin. I used him as a possibility in the absence of anything else. I think Little is still a possibility but I don't have a lot of confidence in him. It will be almost a year since he played, unless the season is delayed, then it will be longer. Will he be as good as before? We will have to wait and see. But that was not considered good enough for the last 2 seasons he played.

Copp is not an option, IMO. I pushed for him to be given a chance for quite some time. I think he got his chance this year. I thought it was a lot more than just 59 min. How much of his time at 2C was with wingers other than the Ehlers/Laine combination?

Agreed. I thought Eakin was gonna be another Perreault for us (guy being paid for past success and is now a bottom 6er making 4x his value), but he's actually an ok contributor if put in the right spot. Copp - Lowry - Eakin might have legs as he's more of a gritty/cycle guy than Perreault slotted on that wing.

As for Copp at 2C you're bang on here too. Others have mentioned the highly positive advanced stats when Copp is 2C, but he's never going to be the guy that gets the most out of Ehlers and Laine on that line, and as such we should be looking for someone with more offensive upside than a safe defensive minded guy.

Rather have a line of 100 point guys that give up an extra few shots and get scored on an extra time every handful of games than a defensively sound 2nd line where guys are stunted offensively at 60 point caps.

Going forward it would be nice to bring Eakin back for 1-2M, but it might not be in the cards with all the young guys we have in the bottom 6. Either way, Copp and Lowry should both definitely be part of that bottom 6 as well and not looked at as top 6 options.

I also respect what he's done for the team and hope nothing but the best for Bryan Little, but selfishly if he has to LTIRetire then it's probably a net positive.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agreed. I thought Eakin was gonna be another Perreault for us (guy being paid for past success and is now a bottom 6er making 4x his value), but he's actually an ok contributor if put in the right spot. Copp - Lowry - Eakin might have legs as he's more of a gritty/cycle guy than Perreault slotted on that wing.

As for Copp at 2C you're bang on here too. Others have mentioned the highly positive advanced stats when Copp is 2C, but he's never going to be the guy that gets the most out of Ehlers and Laine on that line, and as such we should be looking for someone with more offensive upside than a safe defensive minded guy.

Rather have a line of 100 point guys that give up an extra few shots and get scored on an extra time every handful of games than a defensively sound 2nd line where guys are stunted offensively at 60 point caps.

Going forward it would be nice to bring Eakin back for 1-2M, but it might not be in the cards with all the young guys we have in the bottom 6. Either way, Copp and Lowry should both definitely be part of that bottom 6 as well and not looked at as top 6 options.

I also respect what he's done for the team and hope nothing but the best for Bryan Little, but selfishly if he has to LTIRetire then it's probably a net positive.

Not saying this about you specifically but I think one challenge most people have when they think of lines in the top 6 is many focus on optimizing scoring and discount optimizing stopping the other team from scoring. For instance Connor looks great on the attack with Scheif and Blake but those three look like horse shit far too often in their own zone and they defend too much for my liking.

Do I think Copp is the best centre for Ehlers and Laine when it comes to flashy plays on offense......I wouldn’t go that far. Do I think he makes them way tougher to score against and he helps them play in the offensive zone more......yes. I think he helps tilt the ice.

It’s great when a line can produce offense and fans cling to those moments and remember how it looks. It sucks when the top players get scored on but somehow fans seem to forget this part and blame the D men or the goalie. I think Copp helps them increase their differential between how much they score vs how much they get scored on.

Copp produces decent points per 60. He is not a high end offensive talent but he is far from a black hole. He is a high end defensive talent and that drives value to any line. One has to remember who Andrew has traditionally played with in what role (With Lowry in a shut down role) and ask yourself how would even an elite goal scorer like Connor produce with Lowry on the 3rd line and with zero PP time? Would KC get 15 goals in a season?

If we go out and land a good 2nd line centre then great.......let’s just make sure they tilt the ice and can play some D because our top 6 is not good enough at that part of the game.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What are you trying to prove here? Why are you arguing this line with me? I asked a question. Might he get another chance? How do you argue with a question? I suggested that if he gets another chance he will need it to be with a team that can offer him favourable conditions for him to succeed.

You aren't arguing with that. You are arguing with me as though I had said he was a great player who was robed of a chance. Where did I say anything like that?

Some players can play their way up from a checking role. Some cannot. Do all players need to be cut from the same cloth? That path did not suit Petan. Never would. That doesn't mean he is not fit for a different role.
Just my pet peeve, and now that things have slowed down for me a bit after going 10-12 hour days 7 days a week for over a month with COVID preparedness I'm getting back involved in some discussions. There are literally 1000's of players that were on the edge of making it and had the potential to be regular NHL players that never quite achieve it for whatever reason. I always find it odd when we select out 1 or 2 of them and decide to lay blame on an organization, management or coach instead of leaving it at the player falling short as disappointing as it may be if we had high expectations of the player.

The NHL has a whole system in place to redistribute players that fail to catch on with the team that drafted them, so by the time they get kicked to the curb of lower level pro leagues they have had a least a couple kicks at the cat and just never pushed through. At least IMO saying a player couldn't find a role that best suited him just doesn't cut it.

Reactions: LaScheifers

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not saying this about you specifically but I think one challenge most people have when they think of lines in the top 6 is many focus on optimizing scoring and discount optimizing stopping the other team from scoring. For instance Connor looks great on the attack with Scheif and Blake but those three look like horse shit far too often in their own zone and they defend too much for my liking.

Do I think Copp is the best centre for Ehlers and Laine when it comes to flashy plays on offense......I wouldn’t go that far. Do I think he makes them way tougher to score against and he helps them play in the offensive zone more......yes. I think he helps tilt the ice.

It’s great when a line can produce offense and fans cling to those moments and remember how it looks. It sucks when the top players get scored on but somehow fans seem to forget this part and blame the D men or the goalie. I think Copp helps them increase their differential between how much they score vs how much they get scored on.

Copp produces decent points per 60. He is not a high end offensive talent but he is far from a black hole. He is a high end defensive talentNd that drives value to any line. One has to remember who Andrew has traditionally played with in what role (With Lowry in a shut down role) and ask yourself how would even an elite goal scorer like Connor produce with Lowry on the 3rd line and with zero PP time? Would KC get 15 goals in a season?

If we go out and land a good 2nd line centre then great.......let’s just make sure they tilt the ice and can play some D because our top 6 is not good enough at that part of the game.
Agree completely. It doesn't really help if your top 6 scores a lot but gives up more goals against. Ehlers and Laine can produce goals, but they would benefit from a player that consistently keeps time in their own zone to a minimum. Copp is our best option, there. His offense isn't great, but it's underrated and improving. It's not an ideal solution, but worth a longer try. I think Maurice would have stuck with it longer if he had another option to play with Lowry in a shutdown role. Maybe Harkins can work into that role.

Another possibility is that Harkins or Roslovic takes another step or two forward and can play in a 2C role.

It's hard to know how Little will be when he comes back, but the Jets do need to consider alternatives at 2C if they can't nab a good one somehow in the offseason.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But getting a 2C is the reason to buy him out. There is no point in buying him out if the cap space is not needed. But it will be needed if Jets get a 2C, or if they sign an FA D man.

Sure if we get a good 2C and need that cap space to make it happen then sure buy him out.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is kinda cool. :nod: I would say Chevy did a good job overall too .:thumbu:

I love looking at these trade tree's. Some go so deep it's crzy but this was a nice visual to go along with it. Safe to say that we didn't do to bad at all and Chevy even made up for some blunders here and there. If somehow Chisholm, Blaisdell and Heinola all hit Chevy looks like a genius.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I miss Joel Armia. I know he’s not a first liner, but I absolutely hated that trade. Losing him and then Tanev were serious blows to the bottom 6.

Did we make that trade to try and sign Statsny? If we knew he wasn't staying, could we have resigned Armia?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I love looking at these trade tree's. Some go so deep it's crzy but this was a nice visual to go along with it. Safe to say that we didn't do to bad at all and Chevy even made up for some blunders here and there. If somehow Chisholm, Blaisdell and Heinola all hit Chevy looks like a genius.
Remind me who Blaisdell is. We talk about Chisholm and Heinola quite alot not so much Blaisdell.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
When was the last time two Canadians were picked top 2 in draft? 2014.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad