Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I’m assuming you mean on an AHL contract with the Moose. That is about where his career is at.

No, you should assume I mean I'm being sarcastic, hence the "waking from a nightmare" GIF. Get it? Dream, nightmare, do not want? I mean, was the big, shit-eating grin emoji at the bottom not a tip-off that my post should not in any way be taken seriously? :banghead:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I’m assuming you mean on an AHL contract with the Moose. That is about where his career is at.

If there is a guy who deserves a 2nd chance it is Petan. If he ever got on the right team, say the Oilers, or Habs, he could put up some points. Maurice favours PKers from his 4th liners, except for Perreault, so I can't see him ever coming back, though I was always a Nic Petan fan. I just hope he doesn't give up on hockey.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If there is a guy who deserves a 2nd chance it is Petan. If he ever got on the right team, say the Oilers, or Habs, he could put up some points. Maurice favours PKers from his 4th liners, except for Perreault, so I can't see him ever coming back, though I was always a Nic Petan fan. I just hope he doesn't give up on hockey.

I have to agree with you, even though a lot of posters think Petan is finished -- I still think he has some decent upside in him. Having the right touch to set up a play, or pick the corner of the net with your shot, is a skill that doesn't go away. You either have it, or you don't.

As for his desire to play hard and with intensity, that's a whole different matter, and maybe Petan just wasn't putting out the effort to the satisfaction of the Jets, or Toronto ?

There likely is an element missing in Petan's character, or maybe he'll find a great fit somewhere else, and come into his own ?

I always thought he had pretty nice touch with the Jets and his Junior numbers were thru the ceiling. It just doesn't add up with me ?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
This is basically a pipe dream, but with all this cap space I wonder if we could go after Pietrangelo.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Yet another reason why Maurice should go - doesn't play Petan, Ehlers, even Niku, overplays CSW
But I digress.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yet another reason why Maurice should go - doesn't play Petan, Ehlers, even Niku, overplays CSW
But I digress.
Niku hasn’t proven anything. Connor was on his way to 40 plus goals and top ten in scoring. Who can blame him for overplaying that line. Most teams can only dream about getting a guy like Connor.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is basically a pipe dream, but with all this cap space I wonder if we could go after Pietrangelo.

All what cap space?
If the cap stays flat, we have ~15 mil available. If we just fill out a 23 man roster by resigning our RFA's plus a few of our UFA's (mostly cheap) we will hit the cap just about bang on. That's a quick and dirty estimate, but close enough to indicate that we don't have any space to sign any expensive players.

How much do people think Pietrangelo gets? 8? 9? More? Or is the UFA market depressed enough that he only gets 7.5?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
All what cap space?
If the cap stays flat, we have ~15 mil available. If we just fill out a 23 man roster by resigning our RFA's plus a few of our UFA's (mostly cheap) we will hit the cap just about bang on. That's a quick and dirty estimate, but close enough to indicate that we don't have any space to sign any expensive players.

How much do people think Pietrangelo gets? 8? 9? More? Or is the UFA market depressed enough that he only gets 7.5?

Well we would have had Buff at 7.6, so do everything as we would have in that scenario but replace him with AP at ~10M, and cut out the extra 2.4 somewhere (could dump Perreault, let DeMelo walk potentially, etc.).
If stars become available, you make it work. (again, he's still probably not available to us)

Reactions: bennylundholm

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well we would have had Buff at 7.6, so do everything as we would have in that scenario but replace him with AP at ~10M, and cut out the extra 2.4 somewhere (could dump Perreault, let DeMelo walk potentially, etc.).
If stars become available, you make it work. (again, he's still probably not available to us)

Things have happened in the last year so you can't just say that we have 7.6 mil and need another 2.4. All I did was sign DeMelo for 3.5 and fill out the roster with our FA's on cheap contracts. There is zero dollars left. If we want AP at 10 mil we need to come up with 10 mil - the 1 mil we were going to pay for a cheap D man.

If we buy-out MP we recoup 2.666 mil, minus .9 mil for a cheap replacement = 1.766 saved. Let DeMelo walk and we save the 3.5 I gave him. We have 5.266. We still need ~3.75 mil, or 2.75 if AP will sign for 9 mil.

I get that you make it work if stars become available but just as Pionk at 3 is better than Trouba at 8, I think DeMelo at 3.5 is probably better than Pietrangelo at 10. DeMelo is more than 3 years younger too, so is less likely to be a bad contract toward the end. AP probably gets 7 years at whatever $$$. Maybe he is good for only 4 or 5 of those.

I'd love to have Pietrangelo but I'm not sure he would be a good fit for our cap situation. He was having a career year. I'd love to have him, even at 10 mil, but I don't see how we can make that room. We would need to trade one of our 6 mil + wingers.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Things have happened in the last year so you can't just say that we have 7.6 mil and need another 2.4. All I did was sign DeMelo for 3.5 and fill out the roster with our FA's on cheap contracts. There is zero dollars left. If we want AP at 10 mil we need to come up with 10 mil - the 1 mil we were going to pay for a cheap D man.

If we buy-out MP we recoup 2.666 mil, minus .9 mil for a cheap replacement = 1.766 saved. Let DeMelo walk and we save the 3.5 I gave him. We have 5.266. We still need ~3.75 mil, or 2.75 if AP will sign for 9 mil.

I get that you make it work if stars become available but just as Pionk at 3 is better than Trouba at 8, I think DeMelo at 3.5 is probably better than Pietrangelo at 10. DeMelo is more than 3 years younger too, so is less likely to be a bad contract toward the end. AP probably gets 7 years at whatever $$$. Maybe he is good for only 4 or 5 of those.

I'd love to have Pietrangelo but I'm not sure he would be a good fit for our cap situation. He was having a career year. I'd love to have him, even at 10 mil, but I don't see how we can make that room. We would need to trade one of our 6 mil + wingers.

Yeah fair, I haven't looked into the exact numbers so could be tight. One possible solution (although management wouldn't go for it) would be to get rid of Wheeler (8.25), replace his skill with Laine/Ehlers and replace his leadership with Blues captain AP.
Still though, we haven't really done any contract stuff since Buff announced his issue, so we would have still had that 7.6 next year and would have had to do this stuff anyways.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think your figures are off. Jets would have about 3.0-3.5M in cap space after signing DeMelo and all of their RFAs at deals slightly higher than projected by Evolving Hockey.

They don't have enough for Pietrangelo, though.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Also, Blues are really tight for cap space. They'll need to move out cap if they plan to re-sign Pietrangelo.

They're not going to re-sign Petro.

He's great,H but he's also 30 and will be wanting a 6-7 year term at 8.5-9M.

Give it two years and that's a contract you can't likely move and screws your cap going forward.

Just like how people are saying the Wheeler contract is a ticking timebomb... So would be a Petro contract

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Give it two years and that's a contract you can't likely move and screws your cap going forward.

Just like how people are saying the Wheeler contract is a ticking timebomb... So would be a Petro contract
They are defending Cup champions and strong contenders. I think they'll try to sign him and deal with the cap carnage later. Most teams go all in when they are trying to repeat.

Reactions: ps241 and Eyeseeing

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I have to agree with you, even though a lot of posters think Petan is finished -- I still think he has some decent upside in him. Having the right touch to set up a play, or pick the corner of the net with your shot, is a skill that doesn't go away. You either have it, or you don't.

As for his desire to play hard and with intensity, that's a whole different matter, and maybe Petan just wasn't putting out the effort to the satisfaction of the Jets, or Toronto ?

There likely is an element missing in Petan's character, or maybe he'll find a great fit somewhere else, and come into his own ?

I always thought he had pretty nice touch with the Jets and his Junior numbers were thru the ceiling. It just doesn't add up with me ?

The AHL and Europe are full of players that put up huge junior numbers and couldn't make it in the NHL for whatever reason. I don't think it's an effort thing. He's just not been able to turn his junior career into a solid NHL career. He's not the first nor will he be the last.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The AHL and Europe are full of players that put up huge junior numbers and couldn't make it in the NHL for whatever reason. I don't think it's an effort thing. He's just not been able to turn his junior career into a solid NHL career. He's not the first nor will he be the last.

Yup. I feel for Petan because the orgs he has played for have had really strong forward cores.

With the Jets Maurice also is more role based for depth pieces so its top 6 or bust for a guy like Petan.

Toronto just seems to have a very deep group so it's hard to crack that lineup.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah fair, I haven't looked into the exact numbers so could be tight. One possible solution (although management wouldn't go for it) would be to get rid of Wheeler (8.25), replace his skill with Laine/Ehlers and replace his leadership with Blues captain AP.
Still though, we haven't really done any contract stuff since Buff announced his issue, so we would have still had that 7.6 next year and would have had to do this stuff anyways.

Yes, we would have had Buff's 7.6. We would have been in cap trouble all year if Buff had been here and we had had the same injury replacement costs as we did. Someone would have had to have been moved out.

Going in to next year with Buff we would not be talking about keeping DeMelo for a start. With a stagnant cap we would need to do something to make more room. We probably pay someone to take Perreault instead of a buy-out so that we can save the whole amount. That saves 3.5 + 4.125 = 7.625, minus the cost of replacements. So we still need to save about 2 mil more. Another player still has to be moved. Lowry would do it.

If the cap had risen by 3 mil we would not have needed to move Lowry. We might even have been able to do it with a buy-out of MP instead of giving up an asset to move him.

This termination buys a little breathing room. We have cap space to retain DeMelo. I did one hypothetical with 81.5 cap where I kept DeMelo for 3.5 and Eakin for 4 and we still had about 1 mil left over. That would not have been possible with Buff.

Reactions: jetsforever

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think your figures are off. Jets would have about 3.0-3.5M in cap space after signing DeMelo and all of their RFAs at deals slightly higher than projected by Evolving Hockey.

They don't have enough for Pietrangelo, though.

That was just using the simple method of subtracting Buff's 7.6 and adding 10 for Pietrangelo and then making a few adjustments. It was just to illustrate that it doesn't work even from that simplistic view.

My more thorough effort comes close to yours.

2020/21
Little$5,291,666
Wheeler$8,250,000
Shaw$750,000
Scheifele$6,125,000
Ehlers$6,000,000
Laine$6,750,000
Connor$7,142,857
Copp$2,280,000
Lowry$2,916,666
Roslovic$2,250,000
Appleton$800,000
Harkins$950,000
Eakin$4,000,000
13 Forwards$53,506,189
Morrissey$6,250,000
Pionk$3,000,000
DeMelo$3,500,000
Poolman$775,000
Sbisa$1,000,000
Kulikov$1,500,000
Samberg$1,175,000
Dahlstrom$850,000
8 Defense$18,050,000
Perreault buyout$1,458,333
Hellebuyck$6,167,000
Brossoit$1,200,000
2 Goalies$7,367,000
23 Players
Total Cap Hit$80,381,522
Cap$81,500,000
Difference$1,118,478
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That one also has Eakin at 4 mil and Perreault bought out. Undo those 2 things and I still have 1 mil of room left. I used my own estimates for the FA's rather than Evolving Wilds, but they end up pretty close.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I think you might overstate this a bit. He is probably good for more like 4-5 years.

But I agree it is unlikely StL signs him. From them he would probably want the full 8 years. He might accept 7 since that is the most he can get anywhere else. It is impossible to fully gauge the effect of the pandemic on the NHL at this point so I will just ignore it and suggest that he gets at least 9 mil.

Then there is the NMC and bonus payments. He would likely get a lot of that making the contract really immovable. He will get the same on the open market except only 7 years.

Just as with Wheeler, he might play well through the whole term of the contract - or not. Whoever signs him will be accepting a lot of risk on the back half of the contract. If he is the missing piece that gets a team a SC or 2, it will be worth it.

But the pandemic is going to influence all contracts for a while. Even if the immediate hit is not too bad, I think GM's will be more cautious than usual. That is the normal reaction to uncertainty and we will have a lot of uncertainty.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yup. I feel for Petan because the orgs he has played for have had really strong forward cores.

With the Jets Maurice also is more role based for depth pieces so its top 6 or bust for a guy like Petan.

Toronto just seems to have a very deep group so it's hard to crack that lineup.

I wonder if he gets another chance - with a team that has more room in the F corps. He might be able to carve out space in Anaheim, for instance, or LA.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That was just using the simple method of subtracting Buff's 7.6 and adding 10 for Pietrangelo and then making a few adjustments. It was just to illustrate that it doesn't work even from that simplistic view.

2020/21
Little$5,291,666
Wheeler$8,250,000
Shaw$750,000
Scheifele$6,125,000
Ehlers$6,000,000
Laine$6,750,000
Connor$7,142,857
Copp$2,280,000
Lowry$2,916,666
Roslovic$2,250,000
Appleton$800,000
Harkins$950,000
Eakin$4,000,000
13 Forwards$53,506,189
Morrissey$6,250,000
Pionk$3,000,000
DeMelo$3,500,000
Poolman$775,000
Sbisa$1,000,000
Kulikov$1,500,000
Samberg$1,175,000
Dahlstrom$850,000
8 Defense$18,050,000
Hellebuyck$6,167,000
Brossoit$1,200,000
2 Goalies$7,367,000
23 Players
Total Cap Hit$80,381,522
Cap$81,500,000
Difference$1,118,478
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That one also has Eakin at 4 mil and Perreault bought out. Undo those 2 things and I still have 1 mil of room left. I used my own estimates for the FA's rather than Evolving Wilds, but they end up pretty close.
I would take out Eakin and keep Perreault. Replace Shaw with Shore. He's a much better player. Also, the Jets are likely to go largely with a 22 man roster.

Personally, I would use the cap space for another good defensive top-4 D like Brendan Dillon. For about $7M you could add these two D (DeMelo and Dillon).

upload_2020-4-19_16-4-59.png

I moved around the forwards, putting Wheeler and Copp at C and moving Little over to RW (for now). Jets' cap situation would look like this (with a 23 man roster).

upload_2020-4-19_16-3-57.png

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Petan got a 2nd chance in Toronto. Now it can't just be blamed on Maurice since he couldn't find regular work with the Leafs. So you can now lay the blame on Keefe as well. Maybe he gets a 3rd chance but at age 25 with a career point total of 6-21-27 in 129 games the odds will be long, especially when you are undersized and don't play with speed.

Reactions: Cypruss

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would take out Eakin and keep Perreault. Replace Shaw with Shore. He's a much better player. Also, the Jets are likely to go largely with a 22 man roster.

Personally, I would use the cap space for another good defensive top-4 D like Brendan Dillon. For about $7M you could add these two D (DeMelo and Dillon).

View attachment 342669

I moved around the forwards, putting Wheeler and Copp at C and moving Little over to RW (for now). Jets' cap situation would look like this (with a 23 man roster).

View attachment 342668

I'm really uncertain about Eakin. I put him in in the absence of a better solution. I like the way he played for us. He is partly responsible for our 4 game winning streak to end the season. But it is only an 8 game sample. I would much rather get Cirelli. He would get Eakin's 4 mil plus most of the rest of what is available. I want a better solution at 2C than Wheeler.

IDK if we should plan on seeing Wheeler at C again or not. I'm not sure that it happens and I'm not sure I want it to.

I was looking for a 4RW more so than a 4C so I went with Shaw. He is a little bigger and more physical and scored slightly better. Shore/Shaw = potato/potahto. Which is a better PK'er? Which one signs cheaper?

Yes, they will save a small amount by going with a 22 man roster but injuries will have it at 23 most of the time anyway if this year is any indication.

I like your Brenden Dillon suggestion if he is cheap and doesn't need term. But not if he takes the cap space we need for Cirelli or similar.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

2020/21
Little$5,291,666
Wheeler$8,250,000
Shaw$750,000
Scheifele$6,125,000
Ehlers$6,000,000
Laine$6,750,000
Connor$7,142,857
Copp$2,280,000
Lowry$2,916,666
Roslovic$2,250,000
Appleton$800,000
Harkins$950,000
Eakin$4,000,000
13 Forwards$53,506,189
Morrissey$6,250,000
Pionk$3,000,000
DeMelo$3,500,000
Poolman$775,000
Sbisa$1,000,000
Kulikov$1,500,000
Samberg$1,175,000
Dahlstrom$850,000
8 Defense$18,050,000
Hellebuyck$6,167,000
Brossoit$1,200,000
2 Goalies$7,367,000
23 Players
Total Cap Hit$80,381,522
Cap$81,500,000
Difference$1,118,478
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Anything more that $1.5 for Eakin on a very short term at this stage of his career is going to come back to haunt us. We are already dealing with Matty P and Little we can’t afford more dead cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad