Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Didn't know that. I just didn't want a Drouin type situation where you bring in a talented winger who looks like they might be able to play C but then can't convert.

I think if you did a poll of Leaf fans, most would say Nylander is a better C then he is a winger........but when you have two 1C in your top six it’s pretty hard to break into those spots if your Nylander and playing a 7 million dollar guy at 3C doesn’t make much sense.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Would hope someone picks him up off waivers

I would assume that Chevy would try to trade him, with retention, before waiving him. If no one wanted him at a reduced salary, why would anyone want him at full salary?

MP is still a good player but a couple of years of less than ideal usage have lowered his numbers and his perceived value. That with a high salary makes it tough to get value for him. I don't want to pay someone to take his contract. We did that with Mason and I didn't like it. We would have been much better off buying out Mason. So, if you accept that we can't afford a 4.125 mil 4th line winger we are left with a trade with retained salary or a buy-out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
How often has he been used at C? To the best of my knowledge he's played the vast majority of his career at winger.

Yes he has. What's your point? Not being able to win a C job for the Leafs? A guy could be among the top 5 2C's in the league and not be able to win a top 6 C job with the Leafs.

He played C a fair bit in his first couple of years when TML had injuries. He was productive there. That's all. It certainly hasn't been shown that he could not play 2C in the NHL somewhere else.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's why I think Niku could be good value. From the Jets standpoint, they're giving up a player who seems to be blocked and not living up to his potential for a player in the same situation in Montreal, may as well see if he can flourish in a bigger role. No big loss if he doesn't. From Montreal's standpoint, you said it yourself, he's blocked behind Domi, Danault, Kotkaniemi and Suzuki, so if he's at best a 4th line center, then maybe they can turn him into a top-four D. That's if they see Niku with that type of potential. Where would Niku fit on Montreal's depth chart? I think after Weber and Chiarot, he'd probably play with Petry on the 2nd pair, and Petry's UFA this summer. After that there's guys like Mete, Kulak, Reilly and Fleury, (I don't know much about their prospects)...I think Niku makes them better. But that's my opinion of course, I'm not a Canadiens expert.

If both of these players are bottom half of the lineup players on their current teams, but could potentially be a top half of the lineup player on a new team, it's a win-win for these teams. Am I overstating Niku's value? Yeah, I probably am. Are you understating it though? Yeah, I think you might be.

For me, it's this type of deal that I'm looking for. Not necessarily Poehling specifically, even though that's where we've kind of went with this, but it's a young center who's blocked on another team who has potential and can fit with our group. I don't want to give up major assets if we don't have to. I think some of the proposals for Cirelli, Domi, Strome, they're just too much. If a player LIKE Poehling can be had for an asset like Niku, then that's the deal I want to make.

Poehling is in D+3. Niku is in D+5. Poehling is in his first year of pro hockey. Niku is in his 6th pro year, 3rd in North America after 3 in Liiga. No way Mtl gives us Poehling for Niku. Niku's trade market value is very little, almost none. Every team in the league has players like him who are almost, but not quite good enough for the NHL in their D+5 seasons.

A player LIKE Poehling can't be had for a player LIKE Niku. That would be a deal we would all want to make. I doubt that Poehling is a 2C solution for us any more than Roslovic, Harkins, Gustafsson are. But you never know. He might turn out to be. I'd do Niku for him in a heartbeat even though I doubt he is our solution. But Niku doesn't have that kind of value.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would assume that Chevy would try to trade him, with retention, before waiving him. If no one wanted him at a reduced salary, why would anyone want him at full salary?

MP is still a good player but a couple of years of less than ideal usage have lowered his numbers and his perceived value. That with a high salary makes it tough to get value for him. I don't want to pay someone to take his contract. We did that with Mason and I didn't like it. We would have been much better off buying out Mason. So, if you accept that we can't afford a 4.125 mil 4th line winger we are left with a trade with retained salary or a buy-out.
The cap is so tight next season that I doubt teams would be in the position to take Perreault without substantial retention. If the cap shrinks and the NHL and NHLPA agree on compliance buy outs, Perreault would be the most logical candidate.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Poehling is in D+3. Niku is in D+5. Poehling is in his first year of pro hockey. Niku is in his 6th pro year, 3rd in North America after 3 in Liiga. No way Mtl gives us Poehling for Niku. Niku's trade market value is very little, almost none. Every team in the league has players like him who are almost, but not quite good enough for the NHL in their D+5 seasons.

A player LIKE Poehling can't be had for a player LIKE Niku. That would be a deal we would all want to make. I doubt that Poehling is a 2C solution for us any more than Roslovic, Harkins, Gustafsson are. But you never know. He might turn out to be. I'd do Niku for him in a heartbeat even though I doubt he is our solution. But Niku doesn't have that kind of value.
I'm not sure Poehling will be any better than Harkins at this point. His advantage over Harkins was his skating, but Harkins has really improved and I think Harkins has higher hockey IQ.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes he has. What's your point? Not being able to win a C job for the Leafs? A guy could be among the top 5 2C's in the league and not be able to win a top 6 C job with the Leafs.

He played C a fair bit in his first couple of years when TML had injuries. He was productive there. That's all. It certainly hasn't been shown that he could not play 2C in the NHL somewhere else.

My point was that I didn't know he played as much C has he apparently has so My bad. I just didn't want to pay a high price on winger that couldn't convert ala the Habs with Drouin. If he has actually had a decent amount of success there at the NHL level the by all means bring him in.

I just doubt we have the pieces to get him as they will want a good dmen for him.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The cap is so tight next season that I doubt teams would be in the position to take Perreault without substantial retention. If the cap shrinks and the NHL and NHLPA agree on compliance buy outs, Perreault would be the most logical candidate.

Yes. I think it could take 50% retention. There still might not be any takers. Teams will be looking at both the cap and their revenue streams.

I don't think MP would be the most likely CBO candidate but it is possible. Only 1 yr and only 4 mil. I think we benefit more by moving Little's 5.3 mil for 4 years. But that would depend on how they assess his playing future and how they feel about paying him 12.5 mil to not play.

But if not BL then it would be nice to have Perreault's 4 mil just go away.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Frenchy can be moved without a sweetener. Might only get a 6th or 7th, but anything is better than nothing.
If Little is injured, he stays on the LTIR, saving us his cap. If he returns, we move him. He would might need a sweetener, depending on his health status after returning, though I could see a team being willing to take him for a 7th.
I’d rather get a 7th round pick then buying a player out

On Frenchie, I don’t believe this is true Bat. They have tried to move him for over 2 years now, interest next to none. Just because Jets HF Boards thinks he has value, doesn’t make it so.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
What makes you so sure he is tradeable?
He’s a good 3rd line winger, with grit and attitude. Something every team needs. While his cap hit is a bit high, but not overly, his contract is only 1 more year. He’s the type of guy bottom feeders look for to fill slots while kids mature or contenders look for, for depth.
Personally. If the cap stays the same or goes up, and we can dump Buff, Kulikov, and Little, I’d consider keeping Frenchy for one year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He’s a good 3rd line winger, with grit and attitude. Something every team needs. While his cap hit is a bit high, but not overly, his contract is only 1 more year. He’s the type of guy bottom feeders look for to fill slots while kids mature or contenders look for, for depth.
Personally. If the cap stays the same or goes up, and we can dump Buff, Kulikov, and Little, I’d consider keeping Frenchy for one year.

But he has been getting used as a 4th liner and that's the way he will be perceived. Personally, I think he is still capable enough on the 2nd line but his counting stats won't show that.

They have been trying to move him for 2 years and if they have had any interest at all it was not much. Now he is a year older and the way the cap is going to have to go, no one is going to take his full contract. At 50% retention, we might get a 7th for him - if we are lucky. No one is going to want to do us any favours. More likely we will get offers for the full amount but only if we give a sweetener.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
But he has been getting used as a 4th liner and that's the way he will be perceived. Personally, I think he is still capable enough on the 2nd line but his counting stats won't show that.

They have been trying to move him for 2 years and if they have had any interest at all it was not much. Now he is a year older and the way the cap is going to have to go, no one is going to take his full contract. At 50% retention, we might get a 7th for him - if we are lucky. No one is going to want to do us any favours. More likely we will get offers for the full amount but only if we give a sweetener.
I can see moving him being an issue only because the cap might go down, due to the COVID-19 problems. As far trying to move him for 2 years, I’d be curious to know what they were asking for him, because I’d lay money if they offered him for a 7th, he’d be gone already.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can see moving him being an issue only because the cap might go down, due to the COVID-19 problems. As far trying to move him for 2 years, I’d be curious to know what they were asking for him, because I’d lay money if they offered him for a 7th, he’d be gone already.

Entirely possible - but that was then, this is now. On top of everything else, he is a year older.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011

It’s not what they were asking for - the Jets were being asked to include a pick. I know you are not liking that answer, but they have tried to move him numerous times.

Reactions: surixon

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
It’s not what they were asking for - the Jets were being asked to include a pick. I know you are not liking that answer, but they have tried to move him numerous times.

Id move him at 50% (if plausible) retained for a 4-6th rounder but any less of a return or demand of a sweetener Id just hold onto him for one more year. He is still a serviceable player he’s just overpaid by 1-1.5M and only for one more year. Hell, even Scandella got a 2nd and 4th.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Erik Cernak might be a cheap addition (would be cheaper to get & cheaper cap hit) the Jets could add on RHD, if required. He adds some size, physicality and is decently tough. Bolts can't sign all their guys and have to shed cap.

Reactions: GNP and Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Erik Cernak might be a cheap addition (would be cheaper to get & cheaper cap hit) the Jets could add on RHD, if required. He adds some size, physicality and is decently tough. Bolts can't sign all their guys and have to shed cap.
I think Cernak could be a sneaky good addition for the Jets, especially if they can't re-sign DeMelo for some reason.

Reactions: GNP

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I think Cernak could be a sneaky good addition for the Jets, especially if they can't re-sign DeMelo for some reason.

Agreed. He’s not a sexy signing/trade but I think he could be effective and cheap. He also brings some qualities we are currently lacking, defensively minded and physical/big.......albeit he can chip in a few goals & points especially if he was given a few more offensive chances.

Another thought, can’t Poolman play both sides? Depending on also what happens on our left side, maybe Jets sign Demelo & trade for Cernak (bottom pairing right side) and move Poolman to bottom pairing left side.

Josh Delmelo
Samberg Pionk
Poolman Cernak

That’s a solid, even if not sexy, D core and very affordable.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don’t forget Petan

We can only dream of getting Petan back.

giphy.gif

:DD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad