Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's kind of what I'm thinking.

On TD day there seems to be some last minute commitments by teams, but when a team has done all the arm-twisting and schmoozing weeks ago already they must be getting impatient.

I, for one have already moved on to wanting Hayes over Stone - there are several very good reasons in spite of all of Stone's wholesome goodness.
If Chevy has his best offer on the table for Stone, he will not wait until the last minute if he really wants to add something to his lineup. Hayes would be a good fit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hope we don’t go for Brassard. I just don’t see that as much of an improvement. He’s kind of a let down.

Hayes I like. I can see that if we don’t get Stone. He’d cost way less too.

If Calgary gets Stone and we’d don’t add Hayes, I don’t see us beating Calgary in the western finals. Calgary likely thinks the same of us if we were to acquire Stone. So it’s not surprising that there’s a bit of an “arms race” between the 2 clubs for Stone.

It isn't that Brassard isn't much of an improvement. He isn't any improvement. He isn't better than as good as Little offensively or defensively. He isn't strong enough defensively to improve our bottom 6 and he can't score from a bottom 6 role.

Just stay away, please.

If we go up against Calgary with Stone, it will be decided by goaltending. I wouldn't concede anything to them until they win the games.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
agreed. the only thing is if Maurice reunites TLC i don't see him trusting Roslovic in a C role. Could use another C on the 4th line for a "scoring line" instead of empty minutes like Roslovic typically provides

Don't disagree, but Brassard is not the solution. We might be better off with Seth Griffith or Logan Shaw. OK, maybe that's a bit of hyperbole. Maybe.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Everyone available is way too expensive.

Spend some mid-round picks on insurance, and leave it be.

I was pumped to spend big last year, because I wanted to win a playoff round by any means necessary, now I want longer term success.
No one knows what the final price until something is sold. Right now it appears the sellers are leaking the retail price. No one appears to be biting. I wouldn't be surprised if most big names went below the asking price.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
If Chevy has his best offer on the table for Stone, he will not wait until the last minute if he really wants to add something to his lineup. Hayes would be a good fit.

Been doing a little research on Hayes --"not to bad at all"--he's on pace for 60 points this year, and Little is on pace for 50 points, so Hayes really improves our lineup, at quite a reduced cost compared to Stone. ( saves about $ 3 mil per year)

Hayes is 27 years old, 6'5 tall, and weighs 220 lbs, so the guy is very big.

We could plug him in on the 4th line to start, and we'd have 4 scoring lines. He may unseat Little and take over the 2nd line center as well. He's going to score 60 points this year, and this would add some offense to the Jets.

I believe Hayes could be signed in the $ 6 to 6.5 mil range over 6 years.

Considering Stone will want anywhere from $ 9.5 mil to 10 mil per season, and cost us a 1st round pick, and a top prospect like Vesa or Roslovic, signing Hayes looks like a pretty good idea, and won't break the bank, and leave money over to sign some decent defenseman.

Also Stone may want a lot of upfront bouns money, and lockout protection
guarantees $$$ , that Hayes would not get. This gets hugely expensive, and causes dissention with the other players.

When you look at the big picture and the Cap tight environment were in --I think it makes a lot of sense to really really think about signing Kevin Hayes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am enjoying this TD. I will miss it when it’s gone Tuesday.
I have to agree with you on this. Part of that is I'm feeling pretty certain that Chevy will make some sort of splash. I'm started to doubt it will be Stone however, but you never know.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I don't know if the Sens can wait to Monday unless they know for sure they have a team hooked. At some point interested teams will circle back on secondary options and take themselves out of the running. It would be just like the Sens to have a last minute fire sale on Stone because they waited too long.

Yeah,it`s this very fluid and ever changing process that I find so fascinating. Of course, that`s what makes it so very hard to predict outcomes as well.:D It would be tremendously interesting to actually participate in this auction wouldn`t it? My gut feeling is that the dominoes will start falling when the Rangers make decisions on Hayes and Zuccarrella and that could be imminent - and they are both scratched for tonight`s game.

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah,it`s this very fluid and ever changing process that I find so fascinating. Of course, that`s what makes it so very hard to predict outcomes as well.:D It would be tremendously interesting to actually participate in this auction wouldn`t it? My gut feeling is that the dominoes will start falling when the Rangers make decisions on Hayes and Zuccarrella and that could be imminent - and they are both scratched for tonight`s game.
I'm wondering if you could get a package of both Hayes and Zucc?

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The biggest value I see in Hayes is protection for a possible Scheifele or Little injury.

You have to consider that Hayes will score 60 points this year --that's as much as Connor, Ehlers or Laine will score. This guy is not chump change here, or just a replacement part -- "he can score." -- and he's a great size - 6'5 --220 lbs.

Reactions: TheGovernment

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Jets have shown past interest in Derick Brassard and he was scratched with intention of a trade today. Thoughts?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have to agree with you on this. Part of that is I'm feeling pretty certain that Chevy will make some sort of splash. I'm started to doubt it will be Stone however, but you never know.

It’s just entertaining to be kibitzing......debating......and speculating around assets that are getting moved.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
No one knows what the final price until something is sold. Right now it appears the sellers are leaking the retail price. No one appears to be biting. I wouldn't be surprised if most big names went below the asking price.

Fair enough, but I have to imagine non-jet teams will be more aggressive when going after those high quality assets.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
It's funny how your perspective on the Stone signing "quickly changes" after dominating a team like Vegas, who we couldn't beat last year.

Do we need Stone at a "resign cost" of $ 9.5 -10 mil per year, and huge upfront bonus money, and lockout money guarantees.

I don't think so -- sign Hayes --see my last post as to why. Save a lot of money and future headaches. Be smart Chevy.

I’m not pushing one or the other here, but as fans why the heck do we care about the money except for the cap hit? I wish the jets would do all kinds of signing bonuses and lockout protection if it entices high end players. If this team has deep pockets, use em. It’s not my money to worry about.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It’s just entertaining to be kibitzing......debating......and speculating around assets that are getting moved.
This might change pretty fast if one of your favourites gets moved. For example, I'd have a real hard time losing Samberg in a rental deal. But I do trust Chevy, so I'm more hopeful we get something big and it is a prospect that you shrug your shoulders over.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This might change pretty fast if one of your favourites gets moved. For example, I'd have a real hard time losing Samberg in a rental deal. But I do trust Chevy, so I'm more hopeful we get something big and it is a prospect that you shrug your shoulders over.

Yea it has the potential to have a downside. That is part of the fun.....heightened anticipation.

Reactions: KingBogo

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jets have shown past interest in Derick Brassard and he was scratched with intention of a trade today. Thoughts?

Why would you want to get a guy like Brassard ?? --makes zero sense. The Penns acquired him last year to be their 3rd line center, and could not do the job, so they traded him to Florida. This would be a counter productive move to get Brassard. I don't see him adding any value to the Jet's lineup.

I think the Jet's will be looking at Stone, or possibly Kevin Hayes, who's more affordable. I like Hayes the more I think about this-"very Cap friendly" and a great player.

Reactions: drumzan

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Flyer fans are obsessed with trying to trade us Sinmonds. A guy that brings zero value to our line up without jumping in the way back machine

Why just us, or are they doing that with all teams?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Detroit acquires Madison Bowey for Jensen. If we are replacing Trouba next year this is a guy that fits, as a piece in a Trouba trade. Athanasiou, Bowey, 1st and 2nd for Trouba/Copp?

Why would you trade Copp? He's underrated and won't return nearly the asset value he brings in on-ice value.

If Chevy pulled what they are doing, especially with the current roster they have, he'd be hung in effigy around here. They are insane.

Nah, 'cause Jarmo's so open and engaging in his press conferences.

:sarcasm:

Flyer fans are obsessed with trying to trade us Sinmonds. A guy that brings zero value to our line up without jumping in the way back machine

I mean, I get it--look for a team with a slumping powerplay.

Jets don't strike me as that team, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad