Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
The Free Press spotted Dorion and Cheveldayoff meeting behind closed doors in Cheveldayoff’s suite during the second intermission. Dorion then left and was on the phone for several minutes before returning to his press box seat, while Cheveldayoff and Chipman sat down together in the GM’s office as the third period began.
Oh boy...it's happening!

Reactions: robertocarlos

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I brought up EK+Bogo because you keep talking Trouba isn't at full value. It doesn't matter - Chevy will get a haul. Those two players were hardly at full value and Chevy got a huge haul for players not at full value. Bogos contract probably was even considered a negative at that time too.

Honestly, might even be Pesce+Necas depending on where they pick for Connor. a top 10-12 1st is vastly different than 25+. Might even take Slavin instead of Pesce.

I don't think we should trade Trouba to Carolina. we can move him to FLA for a package including Huberdeau

I don't even want to start arguing the final value of the Kane/Bogo trade but Bogo was hardly a negative value at the time. His worst aspect was his injury history and no one knew at that time that it would continue so badly.

We could argue all day here, easily. Probably all of tomorrow too. The specifics are irrelevant. They were just an example of the direction we should be going.

I think you are putting a price on KC that you won't get. You may be OK with that but we need a replacement for Trouba. Slavin for KC would be good - but the fit with Carolina is that we need RHD and that is where they have a surplus. They will trade Pesce to Toronto for Nylander and that opportunity will be gone.

Florida's greatest need is not RHD and our lowest need is LW. How does that help us at RD or at C or at LD? If we get Huberdeau, that is the package. Just what we need, another LW.

But this is completely missing the point. Pick your own specifics but get us a Trouba replacement, a Little replacement and a 2LHD. Do it now, before spending more assets on rentals. Then sign Stone if you want to and can fit it under the cap.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Why would the jets want a sign and trade...sorry I'm not following. Why would Chevy want Ottawa and Melnyk negotiating a 5 year deal with Stone?
No one knows if it is 5 years. That source has been discredited as someone who just tweats info he has heard from an insider on the radio. But the argument would be that Ottawa and Stone would have been talking contact for many months and have landed on acceptable numbers, just that Stone doesn't want to commit to a rebuild. Stone wants the security of the deal and to land where he wants to land, Dorion gets max value (rental +) and Chevy is willing to pay a little extra because this is all in place and he wants the player now and in the future.

Reactions: BoneDocUK

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Well we are most likely getting worse next season when we make room for the raises so what’s your plan? What do you think changed from last season when we were dominant, I am not being a smart ass it’s a serious question.

Fantasy world time you are now the GM for a post you give me your take and plan for what to do now and why and I will give you mine if you care to play along.

I don't know what changed from last season. Earlier in the season it seemed the 2nd line was the problem, as outside of the line the rest of the team was holding up fairly well. Recently however, every line has been much worse than last season. It is not something that has a clear cut answer. I don't claim to have the answers.

If I were the GM, I would stand pat and see if the play of the team improves before the deadline. If they continue on this current trajectory, the only "buying" move I'd make is for a depth dman to displace Morrow similar to the Kempny trade. Other than that I'd let the chips fall where they may with this group.

The bigger picture is that the Jets should try to contend for several seasons and try not to force things. I am having a very had time justify parting with a 1st and good prospect for this team. Keep in mind if we trade a 1st and a prospect for a rental this season and then don't win the cup, then by June we would have moved two 1sts and two good prospects with nothing to show for them on the roster or in the pipeline.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I don't even want to start arguing the final value of the Kane/Bogo trade but Bogo was hardly a negative value at the time. His worst aspect was his injury history and no one knew at that time that it would continue so badly.

We could argue all day here, easily. Probably all of tomorrow too. The specifics are irrelevant. They were just an example of the direction we should be going.

I think you are putting a price on KC that you won't get. You may be OK with that but we need a replacement for Trouba. Slavin for KC would be good - but the fit with Carolina is that we need RHD and that is where they have a surplus. They will trade Pesce to Toronto for Nylander and that opportunity will be gone.

Florida's greatest need is not RHD and our lowest need is LW. How does that help us at RD or at C or at LD? If we get Huberdeau, that is the package. Just what we need, another LW.

But this is completely missing the point. Pick your own specifics but get us a Trouba replacement, a Little replacement and a 2LHD. Do it now, before spending more assets on rentals. Then sign Stone if you want to and can fit it under the cap.

You're missing the point. Trade Connor for Slavin or Pesce+High Pick/Prospect, Trouba for Huberdeau+ (yes FLA needs top 4 RHD)

Huberdeau-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Laine

Morrissey-Pesce
Niku-Buff

top prospects: Necas, KV, Samberg.

Why do you want us losing trades so bad?

Reactions: Huffer

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I wonder if Jets would move Wheeler.

Stone replaces him.

Trouba Wheeler to Florida for Ekblad and Huberdeau.
have you heard the coach the gm and the owner talk about wheeler. wheeler not on the move anywhere.

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
I don't know what changed from last season. Earlier in the season it seemed the 2nd line was the problem, as outside of the line the rest of the team was holding up fairly well. Recently however, every line has been much worse than last season. It is not something that has a clear cut answer. I don't claim to have the answers.

If I were the GM, I would stand pat and see if the play of the team improves before the deadline. If they continue on this current trajectory, the only "buying" move I'd make is for a depth dman to displace Morrow similar to the Kempny trade. Other than that I'd let the chips fall where they may with this group.

The bigger picture is that the Jets should try to contend for several seasons and try not to force things. I am having a very had time justify parting with a 1st and good prospect for this team. Keep in mind if we trade a 1st and a prospect for a rental this season and then don't win the cup, then by June we would have moved two 1sts and two good prospects with nothing to show for them on the roster or in the pipeline.
I think that if something big goes down it has to heavily involve picks and/or prospects, and maybe Perrault

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There's a rumour out of Ottawa that Stone re-signed with Ottawa for $9.5m x 5 years.

Also a rumour Stone was pulled from Sens practice earlier today.
I'd be shocked if Stone signs for 5 years. Sounds bogus to me.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm fine with standing pat. We are the only team who has given up our 1st 3 years in a row. Unlike many ppl here I like Roslo and think he was actually better than Laine last night. He had an assist and set up Laine twice. We seem to be willing to pay as much for stone as sharks paid for Ek who is generational not just great. No way I give up Niku. I get it ppl want to win now as we are all aging and not patient. I just don't want a bottom feeder team.
We need our young guys Niku is top 4 next season. Perrault already is a passenger lets trade him.
I like our team more than anyone not named TB. I mean I'd really like a scoring Laine he's asking for too much money for one hot month and what he did last year. NHL is a what have you done for me lately league which is nothing. We overpaid for Wheeler as he has clearly lost a step.
Mo needs to try coaching before Chevy gives him new toys.
Muzzin was the right price if we had to get someone. A 1st ves and Spacek for a 1.5 vs just 20 games.

We didn't give up our 1st 2 years ago. We traded down. We haven't given up our 1st this year yet. We have only given up 1 first so far. Of course he was better than Laine last night. Everybody is better than Laine lately. We all like Roslovic. All, everybody. You don't like him any more than anyone else. Apparently Dorion really likes him.

No one is suggesting as much as EK brought. I don't think even Dorion is suggesting that. Not according to the rumours here anyway.

How do you know how much money Laine has asked for? No one else knows. Has he even asked for anything yet? 1st + Ves + Spacek would be quite a bit more than Leafs paid for Muzzin.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Just a feeling. Ottawa kind of has to keep someone around

I think the Jets need to do something to shake the lineup up. Things have been blah for a couple of weeks now
Jets don't need a ground shaking move to spark things up. Breaking up Wheeler and Scheifele and shuffling lines should be enough for that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No one knows if it is 5 years. That source has been discredited as someone who just tweats info he has heard from an insider on the radio. But the argument would be that Ottawa and Stone would have been talking contact for many months and have landed on acceptable numbers, just that Stone doesn't want to commit to a rebuild. Stone wants the security of the deal and to land where he wants to land, Dorion gets max value (rental +) and Chevy is willing to pay a little extra because this is all in place and he wants the player now and in the future.
a 5 year deal just seems odd but w/e floats his boat. Id rather hit UFA then settle on a 5 year deal right now tbh.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think if I was an Ottawa fan I would be wondering why we can't play that well every night

There was last weeks game too. :laugh:
If Ottawa could retain their UFA's and cash in some of their other assets to get a couple of decent D men they would not be a bad team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad