Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think it's more complicated then that. Stone may be pushing for the Jets. He may want to sign long term here rather than Vegas.

I think Stone would love to play in Winnipeg, he has great memories here from being with the Wheat Kings, and also his family and friends are here. It's really a perfect situation for him, and he can really force this trade, in a sense, by not signing with Sens.right now. If he wanted to be there, he would have already signed. Same sort of thing with Trouba on our end.

Some people say -- yeah but playing in your home town puts a lot more pressure on you. Well, I don't really buy that, as I remember when the original 6 NHL teams played, all the French players played for Montreal, and that was their whole goal in life. Hockey was almost like a religion there, and it was live or die playing for the Habs, if you were a French hockey player --and that's the way the players wanted it.

Same for Toronto--it had mostly the English players, and that's why these 2 teams were always such a great rivalry. Leafs vs Habs --always a great rivalry.

Although I think Duchene is the better player, I think Stone will add "real solid" offense, and put up some nice numbers, and would be more likely to re-sign than Duchene. I'd like him to come on a pre-dickered deal, whereby the Jet's know he'll resign and for how much. The GM's would have to work this all out beforehand.

Be nice to see pre-signed deals done on a block buster trade, where the Jet's acquire both these guys. WOW-- it be huge and win us the Cup.

Downside is --if one or both these guys are strictly "rentals' -- I would not want to see the Jet's give away our good prospects. I trust Chevy will make a good deal, and certainly would have this in the forefront of his mind.

Note--if Stone comes here on a trade -- I see this very similar to Pittsburgh acquiring Kessel, on a trade, who helped the Penns win the Cup. Both good scorers.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
You can exceed the salary cap by 10% in the summer, right?

That would allow us to lock up Stone prior to making other, cap-clearing moves. And since it is looking all the more likely that Laine is not going to hit his Schedule B bonuses, we would be able to swallow Stone's cap hit this year, no?

Absolute no to every Stone deal that does not come with an extension.

Last edited:
Reactions: roccerfeller

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Depends on the ask and how bad Jets want Stone.

Stone as a rental to Vegas or Winnipeg is worth x.

Stone on an 8 year deal to Winnipeg is worth Y. Vegas may not have that option, if he doesn't want to sign there.

Chevy could risk nothing and try to go after Stone on July 1st. But then he risks getting outbid.

This is the main point that none of us can be sure of. If Stone is fully committed to Winnipeg then Chevy can get cute however a bird in the hand and the sure thing now is tough to look away from. Open markets for players services can be really unpredictable so if you have a shot at controlling the outcome for an asset you highly covet you might choose to just do a hockey deal now. There is no Jets fan or TNSE staff member that wouldn’t want to have their cake and eat it too here but It’s very complicated. None of us know the strength of the desire from either camp , the delta between rent or trade, or other teams interest level to muck with this deal. It just has to play out but thankfully there is a shot clock on this.

The concept of having Mark Stone locked up as a Jet long term does have me checking this site late at night and again first thing in the morning though :laugh:.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
All i know is if i was Stone and seen that Buff is going to be a Jet for a few more years , where do i sign ? :naughty:

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Never underestimate the appeal for a player to return home and play in his home town. His parents I imagine would be not only behind this but pushing for it, I know I would as a parent. There would be a lot of pull to him back here.

That being said can Stone produce with Little as a center? He certainly is a play driver but so is elhers and that didnt work either. That's the only issue I have is does this actually make us better or just continue to perpetuate our existing issue of no second line center.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Never underestimate the appeal for a player to return home and play in his home town. His parents I imagine would be not only behind this but pushing for it, I know I would as a parent. There would be a lot of pull to him back here.

That being said can Stone produce with Little as a center? He certainly is a play driver but so is elhers and that didnt work either. That's the only issue I have is does this actually make us better or just continue to perpetuate our existing issue of no second line center.
Just when i thought we were getting along . :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well this thread blew up while i was offline...15 pages!

Any legit rumours that I missed?
I'd go back and read Dax's and Joe's posts. They seem to have the best connections, but the gist is something bigger than just a TD rental might be in play.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Im not so sure Vegas has the pieces, i mean they wouldn't give up Glass or Brunnstrom for Karlsson. After thise two its Hague and then ? If Stone wants to sign in Winnipeg, do you thibk that vegas is going to offer up one of those prospects, 1st +

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I came to post this exact thing haha. I really agree. I have a strong feeling Vegas gets Stone. Because they would likely push for him anyways, but to block us again is also a big thing. The issue is GMGM is a tool, and will overpay to beat us. Which is fine if he wants to shorten his own window and we don't overpay. But it sucks because I think a Stone level player gives us just as good a chance as any team to come out of the West and face Tampa or who ever takes the east. Our roster as is now we have about as much of a chance as last year. Aka we will need a lot to go right, injury luck and a hot goalie. But maybe Chevy will pull another hidden deal or just go for a cheaper rental
Is there a reason why GMGM wants to work the Jets over all the time?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If the Jets trade Roslo they need to trade Trouba for someone with Center potential. Or Connor but who trades a center for a wing.
Connor for Trouba replacement Trouba for a center.
I'm not saying Rosie is a center just saying there is a chance even if it's less than 50% I think it's st least at 50%.

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
I need a video from the jets with buff welcoming stone into the locker room saying sorry and everything will okay

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
this is true, however i dont think that's smart from us for 2 rentals to unload the farm

i think they can get a 1st+Tolvanen/KV level prospect for each player, perhaps another small asset for Stone given that he's better (although Duchene plays a more coveted position)

I don't think they get prospects of that level for either of them if traded separately. That would be a horrible overpay - even by TD rental standards, which are ridiculous to begin with. That would be a sellers market at an extreme, IMO.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
How about Duchene and an extended Stone for Laine?

giphy.gif

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

I think Stone would love to play in Winnipeg, he has great memories here from being with the Wheat Kings, and also his family and friends are here. It's really a perfect situation for him, and he can really force this trade, in a sense, by not signing with Sens.right now. If he wanted to be there, he would have already signed. Same sort of thing with Trouba on our end.

Some people say -- yeah but playing in your home town puts a lot more pressure on you. Well, I don't really buy that, as I remember when the original 6 NHL teams played, all the French players played for Montreal, and that was their whole goal in life. Hockey was almost like a religion there, and it was live or die playing for the Habs, if you were a French hockey player --and that's the way the players wanted it.

Same for Toronto--it had mostly the English players, and that's why these 2 teams were always such a great rivalry. Leafs vs Habs --always a great rivalry.

Although I think Duchene is the better player, I think Stone will add "real solid" offense, and put up some nice numbers, and would be more likely to re-sign than Duchene. I'd like him to come on a pre-dickered deal, whereby the Jet's know he'll resign and for how much. The GM's would have to work this all out beforehand.

Be nice to see pre-signed deals done on a block buster trade, where the Jet's acquire both these guys. WOW-- it be huge and win us the Cup.

Downside is --if one or both these guys are strictly "rentals' -- I would not want to see the Jet's give away our good prospects. I trust Chevy will make a good deal, and certainly would have this in the forefront of his mind.

Note--if Stone comes here on a trade -- I see this very similar to Pittsburgh acquiring Kessel, on a trade, who helped the Penns win the Cup. Both good scorers.
Why do you think he is the better player?

Reactions: GNP

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Is there a reason why GMGM wants to work the Jets over all the time?

The Enstrom Maneuver. I think we were one of the teams GMGM was referring to when he said some teams weren't playing fairly with their XD lists. Tough toenails, George.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Because the Sens know this and will adjust their price accordingly. If you trade a player and you know they plan on resigning with the team you are trading them to do you trade them for a rental price? Or do you trade them for more?

That’s exactly it and the Jets could very well be on the opposite end of this spectrum with regards to Trouba this summer with the exception being he is an RFA and not a UFA.

As fans we don’t want to overpay if Stone is going to sign here anyway, but if that’s the case we cannot expect Florida to do the same if they already know Trouba wants and is willing to sign there long term.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That’s exactly it and the Jets could very well be on the opposite end of this spectrum with regards to Trouba this summer with the exception being he is an RFA and not a UFA.

As fans we don’t want to overpay if Stone is going to sign here anyway, but if that’s the case we cannot expect Florida to do the same if they already know Trouba wants and is willing to sign there long term.
But do we know where in Florida he'd end up. There is only one Winnipeg. Florida has TB and Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad