Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I really like Copp, but from the numbers Garrett9 have posted he doesn't seem to have the same positive influence on his linemates that MP85 has had, and Tanev isn't even close. Are you arguing for the combo of Copp + Tanev over MP. or that either is capable of replacing him at less cost?

I'm a bit puzzled at all the Duchene love here -- the "locker-room cancer" narrative seems to have followed him for a long time, and I just don't see him as a PoMo/Chevy/True North player. If Stone's in our sights do we need a rental Duchene at any price?

I'm nervous as hell about all this. Wonder if the Jets' uneven play of the past few months is maybe forcing Chevy's hand a bit.

Stastny was also interested in sticking here -- until he wasn't. Plenty of risk here.
Yep, I'm with you on that UK. I'm excited to get Stone, but I'm a lot less excited to get Duchene. And giving up what we will need to getting both, unless its a steal of a deal, count me out. Far rather the deal is Stone & someone else in the org, than Stone & Duchene

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Because the Sens know this and will adjust their price accordingly. If you trade a player and you know they plan on resigning with the team you are trading them to do you trade them for a rental price? Or do you trade them for more?
Jets only need to pay a bit more than the next best bid, not more.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Just watching the WheatKing/PA game having a text conversation with a buddy spitballing on what may go down.

So a few weeks ago I heard about the potential for Stone coming to Winnipeg and signing here. It just seemed far fetched because of what would have to do this off season.

So anyway it just seems Ottawa leaked what the Jets were offering for Stone, 2019 1st+Petan + Stanley. I guess in an effort to get more interest. We speculated that there is a lot of interest in him but he may ONLY want to come to Winnipeg. Now there is a lot of chatter that the Jets want a bigger deal so I assume that includes Duchene. What they have to give up for that? Seems the Sens really want Roslovic and Comrie in return. So I gather something like 2019 1st+Roslo+Comrie+Petan+Stanley + Another Roster player.

It just seems really complicated to make a deal like that and gut your system without making sure Stone is going to sign back here. We also think they are going to restock up by moving Trouba and possiblely a winger at this years draft but that is just us spitballin.
I'm real cool on the Stone part, but do we really need Duchene bad enough to give up Ros, Comrie & another roster player (Perrault?) for. The second part is what hurt us for sure. Much rather get Stone & persue another C or D at the deadline.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm real cool on the Stone part, but do we really need Duchene bad enough to give up Ros, Comrie & another roster player (Perrault?) for. The second part is what hurt us for sure. Much rather get Stone & persue another C or D at the deadline.

Duchene is the best C available so I suppose if we are all in this year then that is likely what they are doing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think it's more complicated then that. Stone may be pushing for the Jets. He may want to sign long term here rather than Vegas.
Fine. Jets still only need to beat Vegas' offer by a small bit.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've always been "meh" about Brown. Slow getting and no motor is what I recall from previous viewings. Injuries galore, too. Maybe he's turned it around, but buyer beware.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think it's more complicated then that. Stone may be pushing for the Jets. He may want to sign long term here rather than Vegas.
Stone's desires may be the wild card. May also force us to make this more than just a rental to get it done.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fine. Jets still only need to beat Vegas' offer by a small bit.

Depends on the ask and how bad Jets want Stone.

Stone as a rental to Vegas or Winnipeg is worth x.

Stone on an 8 year deal to Winnipeg is worth Y. Vegas may not have that option, if he doesn't want to sign there.

Chevy could risk nothing and try to go after Stone on July 1st. But then he risks getting outbid.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I've always been "meh" about Brown. Slow getting and no motor is what I recall from previous viewings. Injuries galore, too. Maybe he's turned it around, but buyer beware.

I said before he's a more skilled Lowry. Similar skater, similar style. Just better shooter and hands.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Stone's desires may be the wild card. May also force us to make this more than just a rental to get it done.
I don't understand the logic. If Stone wants to sign long term in Winnipeg then why would he get involved in a sign and trade that damages the team he's going to join?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah I think that's what it may come down to. Stone for 2 months is only worth so much. Stone on an 8 year extension is worth quite a bit more as Chevy basically gets a full time roster player. We are no longer dealing for a rental so the price goes up. And we remove all risk of not getting him at all on July 1st.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lowry is a warrior and Brown seems uninterested too often. That's a huge difference.

Haven't seen much of him lately but he was hugely valuable in the Mem Cup. Was an absolute monster for Kitchener in the playoffs too. Has really good vision and gets pucks to the net. Didn't look great at the WJC last year. Has been on fire in the AHL though.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't understand the logic. If Stone wants to sign long term in Winnipeg then why would he get involved in a sign and trade that damages the team he's going to join?

Probably see's himself joining the team as a massive addition.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think prime NHL players think much differently than fans. They can give a rats ass for picks and prospects. Stone is looking at the current core and can we now and over the next few years.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
But you'd have to expect that there would be reports that there are other interested parties. That is just part of the landscape.

But that landscape is what is so fascinating to me. This does not feel like, or have the optics of, a typical muti-party negotiation for a possible rental ,where the Sens sit back, solicit offers and play one against the other so as to ratchet up the price.. It`s almost as though the Sens have considered other offers and are now focussed on pursuing a deal with the Jets - perhaps one that could be bigger in scope and include players with term.

I can only speculate that this dynamic may be unfolding because Stone has indicated to competitor suitors that he will not sign with them long term (thereby giving them no incentive to offer Sens anything beyond what might be a fair pure rental value). Provided Chevy does not provide any leverage to Dorion by introducing the need for a signed contract with Stone as part of the deal, we should come away with a very favorable outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad