Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part VIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Now there is a lot of chatter that the Jets want a bigger deal so I assume that includes Duchene. What they have to give up for that? Seems the Sens really want Roslovic and Comrie in return. So I gather something like 2019 1st+Roslo+Comrie+Petan+Stanley + Another Roster player.

If that Jets make that deal, then don't win the cup and then can't re-sign either player then we are f***ed. We'll be left on July 1st with nothing but an empty bag.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If that Jets make that deal, then don't win the cup and then can't re-sign either player then we are ****ed. We'll be left on July 1st with nothing but an empty bag.
That's why I think they should pay the right rental price for Stone and nothing more.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If that Jets make that deal, then don't win the cup and then can't re-sign either player then we are ****ed. We'll be left on July 1st with nothing but an empty bag.

I don’t think Chevy does that deal without agreeing to extend Stone IMO.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Once again, why should Chevy pay more for a signed Stone. If Stone is happy to sign long term with the Jets then acquire him for a rental price and extend his contract the day after the trade.

Because the Sens know this and will adjust their price accordingly. If you trade a player and you know they plan on resigning with the team you are trading them to do you trade them for a rental price? Or do you trade them for more?

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I'd prefer nothing happening to the Jets getting silly and overpaying and completely gutting their future.
Jets management has already decided it's future for the next 5 seasons is the core of Scheifele, Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine, Little, Hellebuyck, and hopefully one or both of Trouba and Morrissey. Everything else is the new style of the NHL - talented players on cheap ELCs, the most obvious right now in the Jets system being Vesalainen, Poolman, Niku.

Whether you agree with it or not, are those players' ceilings really that high that we couldn't replace them with future draftees and replacement level signings? Everyone was about to give up on Comrie... Stanley has been the subject of many debates and hasn't really improved that much to shift either side... Petan can't crack the lineup... Roslovic has played better on the wing and isn't about to replace Little or Lowry for the next few years by the looks of it... late first rounders are certainly never a sure thing.

Everyone overrates their own prospects, no?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this line of thinking. But I would imagine this is certainly the perspective if you're about to swing for the fences.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Probably unrelated but if he’s in this deal that would make it a pretty huge trade.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Jets-Sens trading history has been tumultuous:

2012 deadline when Bryan Murray was GM apparently the Jets were ready to move a veteran player to Ottawa but cancelled the trade ultimately, leaving the Sens brass pissed.

Then a couple of years later Spezza nixed a trade to the Jets.

Then last season Hoffman refused to waive his NMC to come to Winnipeg.

Then last season, the Brassard trade fell through due to Vegas getting involved.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Jets management has already decided it's future for the next 5 seasons is the core of Scheifele, Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine, Little, Hellebuyck, and hopefully one or both of Trouba and Morrissey. Everything else is the new style of the NHL - talented players on cheap ELCs, the most obvious right now in the Jets system being Vesalainen, Poolman, Niku.

Whether you agree with it or not, are those players' ceilings really that high that we couldn't replace them with future draftees and replacement level signings? Everyone was about to give up on Comrie... Stanley has been the subject of many debates and hasn't really improved that much to shift either side... Petan can't crack the lineup... Roslovic has played better on the wing and isn't about to replace Little or Lowry for the next few years by the looks of it... late first rounders are certainly never a sure thing.

Everyone overrates their own prospects, no?

Disclaimer: I'm not saying I necessarily agree with this line of thinking. But I would imagine this is certainly the perspective if you're about to swing for the fences.

Well said. It looks like a lot but it’s more quantity than quality imo.. :dunno:

Reactions: ps241

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Because the Sens know this and will adjust their price accordingly. If you trade a player and you know they plan on resigning with the team you are trading them to do you trade them for a rental price? Or do you trade them for more?
Then save your assets sign Stone in the summer and you have mega movable top end pieces.

Jets window isn't small. The right approach could make them virtually on par with TB next year and beyond. I get wanting Stone or a similar high end piece for this playoff run but I would not pay a premium if I knew I could get him for just $ in the summer.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Once again, why should Chevy pay more for a signed Stone. If Stone is happy to sign long term with the Jets then acquire him for a rental price and extend his contract the day after the trade.
Just don't think it is that simple. You up the price a bit to take out risk, and by doing so you can add more risk to other elements of the deal to really shift the landscape.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
It's far too simplistic to say sign Stone for money in the off -season....the cap space is not there...maybe a deal exists where ottawa is taking back salary now...

Reactions: KingBogo

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Then save your assets sign Stone in the summer and you have mega movable top end pieces.

Jets window isn't small. The right approach could make them virtually on par with TB next year and beyond. I get wanting Stone or a similar high end piece for this playoff run but I would not pay a premium if I knew I could get him for just $ in the summer.

I think the Jets are feeling additional pressure with the Trouba situation. There is no guarantee we get what we want in that deal. Plus some big contract signings coming up. I think they know they have a window within a window and want to capitalize on it.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca

Mark Stone's list of suitors going into UFA isn't going to be small, but there's one small thing that the Jets would be able to theoretically offer that no other team could (should he be traded here): 8 years on his next contract.

Worried about cap implications? No worries, Seattle will be happy to help out in the 2021 offseason.

Sidenote: man, remember when Chevy didn't make literally any trades at all? This shit is exciting.

Reactions: SLAYER and ps241

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
that's definitely weird he's been tearing it up with Batherson.

I’ve been a pretty big fan since he was drafted.

Any opinions on him?

He has had some injury problems but a big playmaking left handed centerman would be huge for the Jets. Almost a ppg this year in the AHL. Might be worth including Roslovic if he’s part of the return imo..

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I’ve been a pretty big fan since he was drafted.

Any opinions on him?

He has had some injury problems but a big playmaking left handed centerman would be huge for the Jets. Almost a ppg this year in the AHL. Might be worth including Roslovic if he’s part of the return imo..

Basically a more skilled Adam Lowry. I think he has #2 center upside.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The more s*** that happens the more likely we see some mega 1970's cigar chomping deal go down. Or maybe I'm just caught up in the drama :laugh: Either way this is pretty fun.

Honestly the lead up to the deals is part that is the most fun! Every little move can be analyzed and speculated on. I mean Brown could just have a nagging injury that is keeping him out, but isn't it more fun if we think he;s included in deal? The Jets haven't really been on this side of the trade deadline often so it's fun just watching it all unfold and not being a spectator like we were for so many years.

Reactions: KingBogo

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The more s*** that happens the more likely we see some mega 1970's cigar chomping deal go down. Or maybe I'm just caught up in the drama :laugh: Either way this is pretty fun.

I am finding it quite entertaining. Honestly I haven’t had this much fun with a “Will they won’t they” scenario since the team coming back rumors but the stakes were obviously much higher on that.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Honestly the lead up to the deals is part that is the most fun! Every little move can be analyzed and speculated on. I mean Brown could just have a nagging injury that is keeping him out, but isn't it more fun if we think he;s included in deal? The Jets haven't really been on this side of the trade deadline often so it's fun just watching it all unfold and not being a spectator like we were for so many years.

Well it might compensate for draft day being a total non event in Winnipeg (Jacob Trouba Dealeo notwithstanding).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad