Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Conversation between two dudes beside me at Dallas game yesterday:

Dude 1: What do you think about Hellebuyck?
Dude 2: Ah, I'm not sold on him.
Dude 1: Who would you rather see?
Dude 2: Price. I think he'd like to get a cup before he retires.
Dude 1: What would you give up for Price?
Dude 2: Hellebuyck and Laine.

:huh:

:laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Stone plays a position we have adequate depth in and would cost too much as a rental where we would be likely outbid by a more desperate team. Id rather spend currency elsewhere on a position more thin on our roster ie: Defense or C

Id rather have the Center/Defense rental for this year than another Winger. I am in the camp to stand pat on moving high end and prospects picks this TDL though, unless we are acquiring a young-mid 20 year old C with a good contract (akin to a player like Zibanejad)

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Have you played hockey Mort? The worst instance I have seen of not being able to skate was Doug Murray. He really couldn't skate. I watched Bowmeester play, and his skating has declined but everyone is repeating this "he can't skate" is just over the top. When you get older you have to rely on positioning more.
But if Benny/Kulikov went down, I'd like to have a player who could use his frame, size, and smarts to play similar, including on the PK. Still think he'd be a good add for the right price (no higher than 3rd). Pure rental. Experience helps other players. Morrow can skate but he doesn't defend as well, certainly a player like Bowmeester with his size would be an asset for the PK.

Bouwmeester is just past it. You don't get better by acquiring worn out old players, no matter how smart they may be.

He can't PK unless you dress him. He isn't good enough to take a regular shift. Morrow isn't good enough either, but that is another story.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree. In Stone's three best years he scored 26 in 80 GP (14-15), 23 in 75 GP (15-16), and 22 in 71 GP (16-17). Both Ehlers and Connor have bettered any of those years goal-wise, and could very well again this year and for many more. Stone's numbers look better in the last couple of years -- better than a point per game -- but he has also lost significant time to injury in those years. IMO a cost of Ehlers or Connor is too high.

That is even if he is extended b4 the trade.
He will get paid more than either of them.
He is 4-5 years older than them.
He has a concerning injury history.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bouwmeester is just past it. You don't get better by acquiring worn out old players, no matter how smart they may be.

He can't PK unless you dress him. He isn't good enough to take a regular shift. Morrow isn't good enough either, but that is another story.

It's not worth arguing about. Somebody is going to acquire and then we'll see.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
bouwmja83

Below average defensive impact, absolutely f***ing hideous black hole in terms of offense.

We have plenty of that type already. Any Bouwmeester trade gets an F in advance, unless he comes with a free Parayko.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Stone plays a position we have adequate depth in and would cost too much as a rental where we would be likely outbid by a more desperate team. Id rather spend currency elsewhere on a position more thin on our roster ie: Defense or C

Id rather have the Center/Defense rental for this year than another Winger. I am in the camp to stand pat on moving high end and prospects picks this TDL though, unless we are acquiring a young-mid 20 year old C with a good contract (akin to a player like Zibanejad)
Makes no sense to go after a player like that. Winger is the last position we need help at. He's several years older than what we'd be trading, perhaps not even any better, and he will probably be unaffordable to sign. Its a no win trade all the way.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim

Was Dude 1 Chevy and Dude 2 Maurice?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I've heard Pesce's name being thrown around here a fair bit. Looks like a guy we really should be pursuing (as he's a 24 yr old RD on a good 4.0 mil long-term contract). Surprised to see that some depth charts have him at #6 on Carolina's depth charts for Dmen! Certainly he's better than that? Any possibility of swinging a deal for him involving a prospect like Apples or Vesa?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Another team with defensive depth that will definitely be looking for skilled forwards or prospects would be Anahein. Would they be willing to part with either Montour or Manson on RD?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Pesce is terrific defensively and locked up on a great deal too. He would be another great option, but he does not fill Trouba's shoes in terms of point production. In fact, he is nothing special with regards to offense - your average top 4 option, I reckon.

I don't trade Connor for Pesce. Would be interested for lesser assets.

Reactions: Huffer

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I've heard Pesce's name being thrown around here a fair bit. Looks like a guy we really should be pursuing (as he's a 24 yr old RD on a good 4.0 mil long-term contract). Surprised to see that some depth charts have him at #6 on Carolina's depth charts for Dmen! Certainly he's better than that? Any possibility of swinging a deal for him involving a prospect like Apples or Vesa?

Maybe involving one of those, but requiring more, especially for Apples. Probably quite a lot more.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

And you didn't get them to sign up here? That needs posting on the trade board. Expected response: No way Habs do that deal. We would need Scheifele, too. :sarcasm:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Pesce is terrific defensively and locked up on a great deal too. He would be another great option, but he does not fill Trouba's shoes in terms of point production. In fact, he is nothing special with regards to offense - your average top 4 option, I reckon.

Pesce is playing top minutes with Slavin, which greatly affects his analytics.

Everybody would like Pesce, Gustafssaon, Muzzin, etc, players on good deals, but the good deals are helpful to their respective teams.

Can't see Carolina trading him, with Faulk having a 1 1/2 left on his contract, and Hamilton also being called upon, having a higher value.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Pesce is playing top minutes with Slavin, which greatly affects his analytics.

Everybody would like Pesce, Gustafssaon, Muzzin, etc, players on good deals, but the good deals are helpful to their respective teams.

Can't see Carolina trading him, with Faulk having a 1 1/2 left on his contract, and Hamilton also being called upon, having a higher value.
Pesce's impact is great even without considering his partner.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pesce's impact is great even without considering his partner.

That's why he is playing top pair.

Pesce could play beside Jmo, freeing him up to provide the offense from that pair.

In that sense he could replace Trouba but no, he would not replace Trouba's scoring.

If it was Connor going the other way there would need to be a big +. From Canes, that is. :laugh:

Reactions: Huffer

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Pesce's contract would be such a boon for this team. Could play on the top pairing w/ JoMo and could resemble him paired w/ Slavin in CAR.

How about trade Trouba for young Fwds
Then package Roslovic+ for Pesce, or one of Connor/Ehlers for Pesce+(looking at you Necas :))?

Last edited:

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
That's why he is playing top pair.

Pesce could play beside Jmo, freeing him up to provide the offense from that pair.

In that sense he could replace Trouba but no, he would not replace Trouba's scoring.

If it was Connor going the other way there would need to be a big +. From Canes, that is. :laugh:
You've got him up there on a pedestal but some depth charts have him #3 among RHD & # 6 on the Canes D! If he's good at moving the puck, I'd have no concerns that his offensive numbers aren't the greatest.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Pesce's contract would be such a boon for this team. Could play on the top pairing w/ JoMo and could resemble him paired w/ Slavin in CAR.

How about trade Trouba for young Fwds
Then package Roslovic+ for Pesce, or one of Connor/Ehlers for Pesce+?
We want to trade away all our speed? I’d be careful of that.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Really tough to see a deal for Stone. Can't see us sending one of our prized wingers unless a young defenseman is coming back. And Chabot is too much unless Laine is the winger. And Laine for Chabot and an expiring Stone is too unrealistic to even think about.

Wheeler for Stone would be fun. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad