Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Iam sure the team is sick of the drama around his ex as well.
Now we know they are both on the block. Pretty standard media tactics to start preparing a fanbase for a player exit, start dragging them a week before they're dumped :laugh:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Seems weird to move up with a future pick when we have cap space to clear and playoffs to load up for..

Someone must really like the kid

Reactions: Vagabond

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Seems weird to move up with a future pick when we have cap space to clear and playoffs to load up for..

Someone must really like the kid
JJ said our staff had him ranked higher than 32. So yeh they think they are getting a steal here.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I was just thinking this while taking my dog for a late night walk and it's a wild theory but here me out.

My theory is that the Oilers traded for this pick because they won't be picking in the 2nd round tomorrow and wanted to get something out of this draft in the high rounds and they took O'Rielly to be a long term McLeod replacement and will use the extra cap space to bring in a stopgap 3rd liner to replace McLeod until O'Reilly is ready. 2nd+McLeod+maybe some other stuff+Campbell to somebody, San Jose, Chicago I don't know. Obviously a complete shot in the dark but bookmark this post if something like this happens. Stauffer with his crypticness and this trade has me really thinking crazy shit that something is cooking.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I was just thinking this while taking my dog for a late night walk and it's a wild theory but here me out.

My theory is that the Oilers traded for this pick because they won't be picking in the 2nd round tomorrow and wanted to get something out of this draft in the high rounds and they took O'Rielly to be a long term McLeod replacement and will use the extra cap space to bring in a stopgap 3rd liner to replace McLeod until O'Reilly is ready. 2nd+McLeod+maybe some other stuff+Campbell to somebody, San Jose, Chicago I don't know. Obviously a complete shot in the dark but bookmark this post if something like this happens. Stauffer with his crypticness and this trade has me really thinking crazy shit.
Interesting thought trade the second because you basically just made a second round pick to shed some cap and sign a ufa. Thats forward thinking GM stuff if that’s what it turns out to be.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007

My theory is that the Oilers traded for this pick because they won't be picking in the 2nd round tomorrow and wanted to get something out of this draft in the high rounds and they took O'Rielly to be a long term McLeod replacement and will use the extra cap space to bring in a stopgap 3rd liner to replace McLeod until O'Reilly is ready. 2nd+McLeod+maybe some other stuff+Campbell to somebody, San Jose, Chicago I don't know. Obviously a complete shot in the dark but bookmark this post if something like this happens. Stauffer with his crypticness and this trade has me really thinking crazy shit that something is cooking.
lol- i had the same thought the same thing. Not the same pieces, but getting a pick because they are moving out picks to sweeten the pot for incoming trades

I don’t know if posted- but Campbell can only be bought out this window. A second window does not open for a Campbell buyout because he was not a roster player at the deadline. Just passing on the info. I personally hate buy outs

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

That would be a heck of a long game for a team with a short window.

History suggests late 1st rounders won't be ready for NHL for 3+ years, meanwhile we're a contending team in a window that has Draisaitl signed for one more year and McDavid signed for 2.

Spending assets beyond that in which we could be weaponizing to go all-in during this window isn't something I would do personally, but hell, I'm not the one in charge. That '25 or '26 1st we're giving up is a Draisaitl winger/top-4 dman we could have acquired for another cup run.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I’m not sure about the Campbell part of it, but the idea of moving out McLeod in order to free up cap space to keep Henrique around is intriguing now that I’ve thought of it. There’s definitely the possibility that they could see O’Reilly as a replacement for what they’re hoping McLeod will become, and if you keep Henrique around it keeps the current team better. Plus you could break in O’Reilly on Henrique’s wing to have him act directly as a mentor to what you’re hoping him to be. There’s definite risk in it, but the payoff is there.

Reactions: iCanada

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Conspiracy theory time:

Oilers were OK trading away their first next season because they are expecting to get a first back in another trade within the next few days.

• Wow
Reactions: iCanada

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just listened to Gregor talk about how Kane came into camp out of shape last year.

Would bet your chance of a sports hernia is much higher if you are not in shape playing NHL hockey lol.

And the surgery and rehab mid-season would have had the team on his arse constantly to get in great shape for playoffs. Certainly would be easier to just ride it out and wait until summer to handle surgery and fitness himself.

If we do dump him, maybe the Oilers will leak the story of what the heck happened this year. Would be the 3rd team this guy burned after getting a long term deal.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Actually doesnt sound that crazy.
I fully expect them to be trading Campbell and obviuosly some sweeteners have to go the other way.
I think that McLeod would be a tantilizing player simply due to his speed and his ability to PK.
Would it be enough to take Campbell...it could be.
Obviously the deal would have to be done with a rebuilding team that has plenty of cap space.
One thing we know for sure about McLeod...Knoblauch saw him good this season so he knows very well what he is giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad