Doug Harvey's playoff scoring

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
If you want to compare the late 50s Wings, Hawks, and Leafs to their 60s counterparts, you have to consider that the Canadiens, Bruins, and Rangers all got worse in the 60s. So wins were easier to come by in games against those opponents. You have to look at the rosters.

All things are relative and your view depends upon which era you think is stronger. Did the Canadiens fall off? Or did the rest of the league catch up?

It's a 6 team league, and at the latter half of the Habs dynasty, they weren't exactly slaying Goliaths.

Looking at rosters I'd say the 56-point 1963 Rangers who finished 5th in the standings might be on the same level as the 77-point 1958 Rangers who finished 2nd in the standings. (The Rangers were still the guys who played when the circus wasn't on. The Rags finishing 2nd should be a sign that some unfortunate calamities may have befallen the usual contenders.)

Boston drops off, and they're basically a one line team. Bucyk-Oliver-Williams, and not much else. They got worse.

The 1959 Leafs are improving, but they win 1 game in overtime against a Habs team missing the revered Jean Beliveau and Maurice Richard. I'd guess the 60s Leafs might do better against a team that was missing players.

The declining 1962 Habs team had 98 points, 2 fewer than their team record set in 1956, and better than any team in between. But in a stronger league, 75 point Chicago has a Bobby Hull line and Stan Mikita line backed up by Pilote and Hall.

Look at the rosters. Would you take any of the Habs' later 50s playoff opponents over '62 Chicago, who lost to Toronto in 6? Or did the competitors get better? Couldn't any of the 4 playoff teams in 1964 walk in to 1958 and immediately be the #2 team at worst?

If you actually look at the rosters of the Wings, were they actually better in the 60s, or did they just win more games in an easier league? The late 50s Wings still had Red Kelly and Terry Sawchuk. Howe, Delvecchio, and Pronovost weren't old yet. Maybe only Norm Ullman was an advantage for the 60s teams. Mid-30s Bill Gadsby was a good add but hardly Red Kelly. Those 60s Wings lacked depth and were all about the stars, and the stars were there in the late 50s too!

The Leafs did have better rosters in the 60s, thanks to the major additions of Dave Keon and Red Kelly at centre. And yet the Punch Imlach teams that Montreal faced in the playoffs in 59 and 60 were pretty close to being the dynasty roster, they just needed the upgrade at C to put them over the top after the Habs declined.

Similarly, the 60s Hawks were definitely better than the mid 50s teams, but the 59 and 60 teams that Montreal played in the playoffs were pretty much the 60s team. The main difference is that Stan Mikita was still a kid and not yet an all-star. But Hull, Pilote, and Hall were all there, and they had better depth at forward and on defence than later editions, including Ted Lindsay and Ed Litzenberger up front.

The late 50s Habs wers still stars too (a few of them were in the late 60s and early 70s as well). The late 50s Wings stars weren't quite as good as they were at their peaks. Late 50s Red Kelly wasn't early 50s Red Kelly, particularly after management suggested he play with a broken ankle somewhere around 1958-59.

Mikita and Keon were big adds. How many 2-line teams tested the Habs before that?

This column by Tim Burke in the Montreal Gazette is the most thorough comparison I've seen of Orr and Harvey. Burke's Montreal home may colour his conclusion (edge to Harvey), but he touches on many different aspects of each of their games, and also gets Dickie Moore's opinion.

Tim Burke, Montreal Gazette, January 15, 1975, p. 11 and 13

I would suggest reading the whole thing but I'll pull a couple of quotes that are relevant to the discussion.

Does this debate sound familiar? Plus ca change...

A few comparison points Burke made between Orr and Harvey:

Regarding Harvey's varying activity level:

Burke's final conclusion? In the end, he also chickens out and compares their eras, giving Harvey the edge because he starred for the greatest team in the greatest era.

And a lot of people thought Terry Sawchuk was pretty great too. He was the highest rated netminder in the THN Top 100 in 1998 at #9, beating out Plante at #13.

Selected from his ATD bio:

- "Sawchuk was the greatest goalie I've ever seen, no doubt about it. He was the quickest I've ever seen." - Bob Pulford

- "The Uke (Sawchuk) was the best goalie I ever saw. Everything that a goalie should be!" - Gordie Howe

- ''(Sawchuk) is the best that ever played'' - Dave Keon

- ''All I could remember, and I'll never forget, is looking at Terry Sawchuk and say to myself: ''this is the greatest goaltender I have ever seen''. - Emile Francis, looking at Sawchuk's body at the morgue

- "A lot of people think he was the greatest goalkeeper who ever played the game. I include myself in that group." - Glenn Hall

-----

Yet we've had no problem reassessing Terry Sawchuk's place in history. In our last Top 100 it was somehow clear that collectively, we put Hall above him now, and Sawchuk (who saved 98% of shots in 1952, and an underrated reason why 60s Chicago had trouble in the postseason) is now #35 behind playoff dynamo Bill Cook.

We've started looking at the quality of competition for Gordie Howe in the early 1950s.

All of that is fair. But If we're doing it for these guys, why is Harvey exempt?

Overrated

Jan 16, 2018
Personally, this is about as close to vindication as I'm going to get about my previous thoughts on Shore. This is what I see as well and tried to sell during whatever project it was. Skilled, athletic, fun to watch...but...
Based on what, are there even full games anywhere from the 1930s to see?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Based on what, are there even full games anywhere from the 1930s to see?
Full? Not a lot. But there's enough to piece it together with all the accounts of him. For indelicate players, it takes much less time to figure out what they are. It's the super brains that require that take more time and often adapt their game over the course of their careers...

Reactions: Overrated

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Stepping back for a moment to my original point, which is that Harvey's competition in the playoffs was not weak.

The late 1950s Montreal dynasty was probably the best team of all time. In addition to Harvey himself, they had 5 legit superstar forwards in their top 6, first line talent playing as depth forwards, another all-star D in Tom Johnson, an all-time goalie, and an all-time coach. Nobody could touch them in the playoffs. In my opinion Montreal's regular season record from that era does not reflect their full greatness, as train travel and back to back games were a levelling factor.

So when the other 5 teams in the league finish around 0.500 or a bit worse, that doesn't mean they're average teams. They're very good teams locked in a 6 team cage match with the greatest team of all time. I think the 10 playoff opponents Montreal played from 56-60 could have been Cup contenders in any era, with 0.600+ winning percentages in most eras. I certainly wouldn't rate them as favourites over the dynasty teams of the 50s-80s, or the great multi-Cup winners of the 90s-00s, but they would be legit Cup finalists on talent in any era. Not weak opponents at all, in fact stronger than most playoff opponents faced by the other great defencemen.

All things are relative and your view depends upon which era you think is stronger. Did the Canadiens fall off? Or did the rest of the league catch up?

It's a 6 team league, and at the latter half of the Habs dynasty, they weren't exactly slaying Goliaths.

The Canadiens fell off. You mention their 62 team below which finished with 98 points and if that team isn't evidence of the league getting weaker in the 60s, don't know what is. Jean-Guy Talbot was a first team all-star! He was #3 or #4 for most of his career. Bill Hicke scored 51 points! Hicke was a big prospect but, as Jean Beliveau said in his book, Hicke washed out of the strong O6 league because he was predictable and the league figured him out.

Looking at rosters I'd say the 56-point 1963 Rangers who finished 5th in the standings might be on the same level as the 77-point 1958 Rangers who finished 2nd in the standings. (The Rangers were still the guys who played when the circus wasn't on. The Rags finishing 2nd should be a sign that some unfortunate calamities may have befallen the usual contenders.)

I don't agree at all. The 1956-58 Rangers were better and deeper at forward than the 63 team, easily. In fact, Camille Henry played in the minors for most of 55-56 and 56-57 after winning the Calder trophy in 53-54. He led the Rangers in goals in 62-63 but struggled to crack the lineup against the teams that Montreal beat in the playoffs.

The 63 Rangers were probably as good on defence thanks to Harvey. Bill Gadsby was the Rangers star on the 50s, Harry Howell was on both teams and the 50s had the rock solid Jack Evans. I don't really care for Lou Fontinato (50s) or Larry Cahan (63) but the others were good, although I wonder if Jim Neilson (63) was Jim Neilson yet at only 22. Worsley was the goalie for both teams.
Boston drops off, and they're basically a one line team. Bucyk-Oliver-Williams, and not much else. They got worse.

The 1959 Leafs are improving, but they win 1 game in overtime against a Habs team missing the revered Jean Beliveau and Maurice Richard. I'd guess the 60s Leafs might do better against a team that was missing players.

The Leafs were better in the 60s. I agree. An all-time great team. But the 59 and 60 editions that played Montreal were very good teams, just lacking at centre compared to the Habs.

On this topic, I would say the difference between the 50s and 60s was that the 50s was a wingers league and the 60s was a centres league. For the 50s, maybe cause of the influence of Maurice Richard and Gordie Howe, maybe because there had always been great wingers going back to Bill Cook and others. But the 1960s became a centres league thanks to the shadow of Jean Beliveau hung over every team that wanted to compete. And also the smaller shadow of Henri Richard.

In the 60s, Toronto got Keon and Kelly. We know Punch Imlach moved Kelly to centre to counter Jean Beliveau. How crazy is that, that the second best D in the league gets moved to centre? But it worked.

The Leafs were a very good team with Larry Regan at centre. I've watched a couple of games and was impressed with him. He was very smart and skilled, played hard and effectively. The coaches voted him the best stickhandler in 1958. Punch Imlach gave a lot of credit to Regan for the Leafs late charge to make the playoffs that saved his job. I think Regan could have been at #2C on a Cup contender in any era. But he couldn't match up against Beliveau or Henri, so he had to go.

Chicago got Bobby Hull at centre, then decided to move him to winger and move Stan Mikita from wing to centre to play against Beliveau. Which worked in the regular season but not in the playoffs.

Detroit had Norm Ullman and Alex Delvecchio, both of whom played LW as well as centre. They both became regular C's in the 60s to counter Montreal.

But although the C position was stronger in the 60s, I would say winger, defence, and goalie were all weaker in the 60s than the late 50s.
Look at the rosters. Would you take any of the Habs' later 50s playoff opponents over '62 Chicago, who lost to Toronto in 6? Or did the competitors get better? Couldn't any of the 4 playoff teams in 1964 walk in to 1958 and immediately be the #2 team at worst?
I don't know, I like 62 Chicago a lot. Better than their later editions under Billy Reay. They were an excellent team with star power and depth. They were very similar to 1960 Chicago, who the Habs played and swept. But they may well have been better than any of the 10 teams Montreal played from 56-60.

Re:1964 - I agree 63-64 Toronto would be #2 in 1958. Toronto's dynasty in the 60s was legit and better than their regular season records. 63-64 Chicago could probably be #2 in the regular season in 1958 but they would still have their issues with over playing stars on the regular season. I think they lose in the playoffs and not just to Montreal. 64 Detroit was worse than 58 Detroit.
The late 50s Habs wers still stars too (a few of them were in the late 60s and early 70s as well). The late 50s Wings stars weren't quite as good as they were at their peaks. Late 50s Red Kelly wasn't early 50s Red Kelly, particularly after management suggested he play with a broken ankle somewhere around 1958-59.

Mikita and Keon were big adds. How many 2-line teams tested the Habs before that?

I agree that the Leafs with Keon and Kelly were better than any opponent the Habs dynasty faced. But the 60s Leafs were one of the all time greatest teams in history! Few eras have an team of that quality and theres no reason to knock Doug Harvey for not playing them in the playoffs during his peak. Bobby Orr, for example, never played an opponent of that quality in the playoffs.

And a lot of people thought Terry Sawchuk was pretty great too. He was the highest rated netminder in the THN Top 100 in 1998 at #9, beating out Plante at #13.

Selected from his ATD bio:

- "Sawchuk was the greatest goalie I've ever seen, no doubt about it. He was the quickest I've ever seen." - Bob Pulford

- "The Uke (Sawchuk) was the best goalie I ever saw. Everything that a goalie should be!" - Gordie Howe

- ''(Sawchuk) is the best that ever played'' - Dave Keon

- ''All I could remember, and I'll never forget, is looking at Terry Sawchuk and say to myself: ''this is the greatest goaltender I have ever seen''. - Emile Francis, looking at Sawchuk's body at the morgue

- "A lot of people think he was the greatest goalkeeper who ever played the game. I include myself in that group." - Glenn Hall

-----

Yet we've had no problem reassessing Terry Sawchuk's place in history. In our last Top 100 it was somehow clear that collectively, we put Hall above him now, and Sawchuk (who saved 98% of shots in 1952, and an underrated reason why 60s Chicago had trouble in the postseason) is now #35 behind playoff dynamo Bill Cook.

We've started looking at the quality of competition for Gordie Howe in the early 1950s.

All of that is fair. But If we're doing it for these guys, why is Harvey exempt?

Of course Harvey isn't exempt from reconsideration. But it's necessary to actually engage with the case that put him as the greatest defenceman of all time before Bobby Orr. Which requires watching the games or reading opinions from those who did. Even the statistical analysis with which I started this thread doesn't mean much on its own. It only shows that the statistical record is consistent with Harvey's high reputation.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I also looked at the same playoff numbers for Red Kelly and Pierre Pilote to see if, like Harvey, they tended to score more in close games and then stop scoring with the lead. I'm not at my computer with the actual numbers right now, but they're easily available on the scoring log pages on hockey-reference for each season.

Red Kelly - yes, he clearly scored less with the lead. When trailing or tied in the playoffs, he wasn't far behind Howe and Lindsay in points. When his team was leading, I believe the gap was something like Kelly with 7 points and Howe had 30 points. So, like Harvey, Kelly tended to play more conservatively with the lead and led his forwards do the scoring.

Pierre Pilote - no. Not because he scored a bunch of points while his team was leading. Because his team rarely led by 2 or more goals in the playoffs, so most points scored by Pilote, Hull, and Mikita were trailing, tied, or leading by 1.

So if you were wondering why Pierre Pilote was a better playoff scorer as a defenceman than Red Kelly, I would say that a big reason was that Kelly spent a lot more time playing with the lead, and he was defence-first in those situations.

Reactions: Hockey Stathead

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
Stepping back for a moment to my original point, which is that Harvey's competition in the playoffs was not weak.

The late 1950s Montreal dynasty was probably the best team of all time. In addition to Harvey himself, they had 5 legit superstar forwards in their top 6, first line talent playing as depth forwards, another all-star D in Tom Johnson, an all-time goalie, and an all-time coach. Nobody could touch them in the playoffs. In my opinion Montreal's regular season record from that era does not reflect their full greatness, as train travel and back to back games were a levelling factor.

So when the other 5 teams in the league finish around 0.500 or a bit worse, that doesn't mean they're average teams. They're very good teams locked in a 6 team cage match with the greatest team of all time. I think the 10 playoff opponents Montreal played from 56-60 could have been Cup contenders in any era, with 0.600+ winning percentages in most eras. I certainly wouldn't rate them as favourites over the dynasty teams of the 50s-80s, or the great multi-Cup winners of the 90s-00s, but they would be legit Cup finalists on talent in any era. Not weak opponents at all, in fact stronger than most playoff opponents faced by the other great defencemen.

The Canadiens fell off. You mention their 62 team below which finished with 98 points and if that team isn't evidence of the league getting weaker in the 60s, don't know what is. Jean-Guy Talbot was a first team all-star! He was #3 or #4 for most of his career. Bill Hicke scored 51 points! Hicke was a big prospect but, as Jean Beliveau said in his book, Hicke washed out of the strong O6 league because he was predictable and the league figured him out.

I'm sure Bill Hicke being in a coma for 2 weeks didn't help...

But whoever the Canadiens next man up was seemed to be solid. Bonin for Richard for a playoff run, Johnson winning the Norris when Harvey didn't.

And your view on Talbot may explain my view on Harvey. How is this Talbot fellow outscoring Doug Harvey at even strength?

Because Harvey wasn't trying to score with the lead? Talbot scored 9 of his 47 points in 1962 with a 2 goal lead or better. He wasn't racking up huge numbers with the lead either.

And if the Canadiens getting 98 points in 62 indicates weakness, what happens in 63?

I don't agree at all. The 1956-58 Rangers were better and deeper at forward than the 63 team, easily. In fact, Camille Henry played in the minors for most of 55-56 and 56-57 after winning the Calder trophy in 53-54. He led the Rangers in goals in 62-63 but struggled to crack the lineup against the teams that Montreal beat in the playoffs.

The 63 Rangers were probably as good on defence thanks to Harvey. Bill Gadsby was the Rangers star on the 50s, Harry Howell was on both teams and the 50s had the rock solid Jack Evans. I don't really care for Lou Fontinato (50s) or Larry Cahan (63) but the others were good, although I wonder if Jim Neilson (63) was Jim Neilson yet at only 22. Worsley was the goalie for both teams.

Camille Henry led the 57 Rangers in playoff points, with 5 points in 5 games against the Montreal Canadiens....

Of course Harvey isn't exempt from reconsideration. But it's necessary to actually engage with the case that put him as the greatest defenceman of all time before Bobby Orr. Which requires watching the games or reading opinions from those who did. Even the statistical analysis with which I started this thread doesn't mean much on its own. It only shows that the statistical record is consistent with Harvey's high reputation.

I have. I don't see what everyone else sees. It's not that I don't think he's a Hall of Famer, or one of the top defenders. He's just not #2.

Vilica

Jun 1, 2014
My study of the 50s Habs disagrees with the conclusion that Harvey was the straw. Harvey's 6 year physical prime from 24-29 with a still young Maurice Richard (age 27 through 32), as well as more than a few other HoFers, was in the seasons from 48-49 through 53-54, and the Habs were just an ordinary team. They had 30 H2H matchups in those 6 seasons, and in 10 of them had a negative goal differential (3 Boston, 4 Detroit (plus 1 breakeven), 1 New York, 2 Toronto). They played 82 games against each of the other 5 teams, and were +4 versus both Boston and Toronto, +105 versus Chicago, -46 versus Detroit, and +62 versus New York.

To me, Beliveau is the straw, and you can see that in his goal differentials. From his first full season in 54-55 through 61-62, 8 years and 40 H2H matchups, Montreal had exactly 1 negative goal differential matchup (Boston in 56-57), and 2 breakeven matchups, Detroit in 54-55 and Chicago in 60-61. Every other one was positive. You can even see those results starting in his rookie year of 53-54 - Beliveau played 44 games and missed 26 - the Habs were +42 in his games played and +12 in his games missed.

[When I've been doing my Montreal breakdowns, you basically have 3 specific periods in that era. They missed the playoffs in 47-48, then you have Maurice Richard suspended for the 54-55 playoffs, and then you have the 5 straight Cup wins. That 55-56 changing of the guard from the Detroit dynasty to the Montreal dynasty also marks the need for more scoring depth - Detroit was the last of the teams that featured just 1 scoring line, Montreal and further champs were all 2 scoring lines. The 54-55 playoffs are a bit weird to categorize for Harvey, as I'm not sure whether to put them with the era before or the dynasty after. Normally when I'm talking about this year, it's with Maurice Richard, whose suspension neatly takes care of that ambiguity.]

All of Harvey's competition at the top of the defense lists (Bourque, Lidstrom, Potvin, Kelly, Orr, Shore) were driving forces on contenders in their 20s. In that 48-49 through 53-54 period in the playoffs, Harvey had 11 even strength points in 56 games, compared to Butch Bouchard's 9 in 57, Tom Johnson 8 in 46, and Dollard St. Laurent 9 in 31. Those 6 years were marked by 4 separate matchups against Detroit, 2 in the 1st round, 2 in the final (won 1, lost 3), totaling 24 games, of which Harvey missed 1, a 5-2 loss. With Harvey, the Habs scored 39 goals in 23 games, while allowing 49. Harvey had exactly 1 even strength point, an assist, and 3 power play assists. If you look at Harvey's contemporary, Red Kelly, in the same series, Kelly missed 1 game as well (a 3-0 Detroit win in the 52 SCF), and had 4 goals [1 empty net goal, 1 power play goal, 2 shorthanded goals], and 3 assists (all even strength) for 7 points. Neither point total fits what we imagine a modern defenseman would put up, but as the 1Ds for their respective teams, Kelly outperformed Harvey in those series.

In comparison to the 39-49 score in the 4 matchups from 48-49 to 53-54, Detroit outscored Montreal 27-20 in their Final win in 54-55, and then the dynasty effect hit in the last two matchups between the teams - Montreal outscored Detroit 18-9 in 5 games in the Final in 55-56, and 19-6 in a 4 game sweep in the 1st round in 57-58. [Harvey had 5 points in 54-55 (2 EVA, 3 PPA), 3 points in 55-56 (2 EVA, 1 PPA), and 4 points in 57-58 (2 EVA, 2 PPA), for a grand total of 12 assists in 16 games, 6 EV and 6 PP.] The Habs doubled their offensive output between the series, and hit over 4 goals per game in the last 2 matchups. You also have the even strength separation one might have expected from Harvey - he had 27 even strength points in 61 playoff games in the period 54-55 through 59-60, compared to 8 in 53 for Johnson, 10 in 48 for Talbot, 5 in 28 for St. Laurent, 4 in 22 for Langlois, 4 in 45 for Turner, and 1 in 14 for Bouchard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad