Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Foegele "thriving" is the other end of the "Arvy and Emberson suck" spectrum.

Foegele is exactly what he's always been, and until last night had 1 point on the season through 8 games.

Prop up one player on 8 games played, and knock down others on 8 games played.
Now do McLeod.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
With the accrued cap space we will potentially have, there will be no shortage of cap to add basically anyone we want.

The bigger challenge is going to be who is actually available and will we have the assets to outbid other teams considering our razor thin prospect pool and no 1st rounder this upcoming draft.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I heard with this cap, you cannot do more than 1 move with it. You acquire a player worth 5.25 or less and that's it. Is that true?
Yes you have to use the accrued space first and then the LTIR after. It can't be simulataneous

And it's looking like we might not use LTIR at all. Kane is coming back before then (but who knows that might be us just laying out a paper trail that we had good intentions)

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A healthy Kane is better than anyone we can get on the market so just forget using LTIR.

Now the accrued cap space is another story. I’m thinking Marcus Peterson and Carrier

Ekholm-Bouchard
Petersson-Nurse
Kulak-Carrier

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
A healthy Kane is better than anyone we can get on the market so just forget using LTIR.

Now the accrued cap space is another story. I’m thinking Marcus Peterson and Carrier

Ekholm-Bouchard
Petersson-Nurse
Kulak-Carrier

With Peterson(you know I love my swedes) there are 3 things to factor. 1--UFA after this year--we would need a favorable sign and trade or a new contract in place at the time of the deal. We will be looking at trading 2027 first and maybe a 3rd for him. Regardless of if he has a new contract in place. 2) If the pens decide to trade him I can see a few teams doing what they can to trade for him. 3) Petereson is on 4 and Carrier is 3.75--so we would we would need more than just Kane's LTIR money to add them. We would need a team to take Kulak off our hands.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Well this makes sense considering they have been handling the cap as if he will be back in-season rather than a Mark Stone situation.
Huh? What? Dude was injured in the playoffs, jogging around in the summer and waited till the season started to decide to do surgery. Now the Oil are accruing cap space

It's EXACTLY like the Mark Stone cap circumvention. Don't be shocked to see him play a month then take a little LTIR rest before the deadline. You can book it

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
After last night, I'm not so certain that Jarry can't still play, if you can a Nurse for Jarry move, please do.
That blows such a massive, gaping hole in an already shaky defense in favor of a goalie who isn't even a clear upgrade in net.

I'm not saying don't trade Nurse. I'm saying dumping him for another boat anchor goalie contract is worse than having Nurse in the lineup.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
After last night, I'm not so certain that Jarry can't still play, if you can a Nurse for Jarry move, please do.
I’m confused by your logic. Doesn’t last night prove the opposite? The Pens got absolutely obliterated and their 3rd string rookie managed a .920 sv% in a game that otherwise probably should have been 8-0 instead of 4-0. Meanwhile playing behind the same team Jarry has been absolutely horrible.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Will be an interesting journey to find a right shot top 4 d which is already showing some competition for this premium priced asset with teams like Utah, Montreal, LA prospectively in the market. The supply piece seems somewhat limited at least in early stages. Finding someone that moves the needle will be challenging and competitive.

Don't shit on this too badly haha but here's one fantasy scenario. Penguins looked cooked & likely would be wise to cap dump Karlsson to reset their cap and increase flexibility to retool or deeper rebuild their roster. Eliminate their weird redundancy with similar age, game, expensive Letang.

Karlsson's age and game has holes. But he was still a 56 point, 24:16 toi, +4 on a non playoff team +3 goal differential. 70% of his scoring at EV. He's NHL 90 percentile for top speed, 76 percentile bursts over 20 MPH, 98 percentile shot speed (using last year's NHL Edge metrics given longer sample size but they hold up this year).

Columbus is in a situation to absorb cap and be a leveraging point for double retention situations.

• What if the Penguins were to trade Karlsson with $2.5 million retention as a cap dump to Columbus for secondary pick(s), let's say a 2 & 3 round pick.
  • Then flip Karlsson to Edmonton at 50% retention, $3.75 million, for next year's 1st and maybe an additional 2nd round.
Oil get their elite 2RD who can transport pucks out of zone or use his elite processor to zone exit pass to the Oilers forward groups. A strong EV producer able to absorb big minutes. And a lethal PP option who could pair with Bouchard on PP1 while giving this team another puck transporter/zone entry option to keep the flies off McDavid. Or simply arm PP2 with an elite power play driver. Finally Nurse finally gets an elite partner with complementary elite skills to mitigate team defending and get pucks out of d-zone to this team's strength of ice-tilting forward group.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Jimmi, I'm not sure you understand that Darnell Nurse has a NMC. Regardless of how illogical or poor the return for him would be in some of these proposals, Nurse would ultimately nullify the deal.

You're wasting your time.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Jimmi, I'm not sure you understand that Darnell Nurse has a NMC. Regardless of how illogical or poor the return for him would be in some of these proposals, Nurse would ultimately nullify the deal.

You're wasting your time.
Sure, I don't really care it's the most significant problem on the cap

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Will be an interesting journey to find a right shot top 4 d which is already showing some competition for this premium priced asset with teams like Utah, Montreal, LA prospectively in the market. The supply piece seems somewhat limited at least in early stages. Finding someone that moves the needle will be challenging and competitive.

Don't shit on this too badly haha but here's one fantasy scenario. Penguins looked cooked & likely would be wise to cap dump Karlsson to reset their cap and increase flexibility to retool or deeper rebuild their roster. Eliminate their weird redundancy with similar age, game, expensive Letang.

Karlsson's age and game has holes. But he was still a 56 point, 24:16 toi, +4 on a non playoff team +3 goal differential. 70% of his scoring at EV. He's NHL 90 percentile for top speed, 76 percentile bursts over 20 MPH, 98 percentile shot speed (using last year's NHL Edge metrics given longer sample size but they hold up this year).

Columbus is in a situation to absorb cap and be a leveraging point for double retention situations.

• What if the Penguins were to trade Karlsson with $2.5 million retention as a cap dump to Columbus for secondary pick(s), let's say a 2 & 3 round pick.
  • Then flip Karlsson to Edmonton at 50% retention, $3.75 million, for next year's 1st and maybe an additional 2nd round.
Oil get their elite 2RD who can transport pucks out of zone or use his elite processor to zone exit pass to the Oilers forward groups. A strong EV producer able to absorb big minutes. And a lethal PP option who could pair with Bouchard on PP1 while giving this team another puck transporter/zone entry option to keep the flies off McDavid. Or simply arm PP2 with an elite power play driver. Finally Nurse finally gets an elite partner with complementary elite skills to mitigate team defending and get pucks out of d-zone to this team's strength of ice-tilting forward group.
Nurse-Karlsson would be worse than what you see out of your windows on the Henday at 8:00 AM after the first big snowfall of the year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I’m confused by your logic. Doesn’t last night prove the opposite? The Pens got absolutely obliterated and their 3rd string rookie managed a .920 sv% in a game that otherwise probably should have been 8-0 instead of 4-0. Meanwhile playing behind the same team Jarry has been absolutely horrible.
No, because once the Oilers found his weak spot he was basically ineffective. He got lit up after they found the first one.

Jarry has warts, but the pens suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad