Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
I'm pretty bad with knowing that stuff but sure, I can see that as a negative.

But also, maybe Broberg was our chance to replace Nurse with another LD for the top 4 but now we don't have that. Even if Nurse is overpaid he can at least excel for stretches and eat up big minutes. I doubt we magically find the next Forsling, and any established LD we get will probably have a lot of "grass is greener" appeal. The new guy having to play with Dermott/Stecher/Emberson will turn plenty of Oiler fans against him
This franchise will forever shoot itself in the foot. They had Broberg ready and able. They decided 4 mill was too much. So they went out and wasted 2 mill on 2 garbage dumps from losing franchises. Now Nurse has no partner, Oilers lack a proper top 4 and lose size , and speed from the backend along with a young guy with Stanley cup pressure experience.

Some fans believe anything presented to them. Including another fraud in management.

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
The Leafs had a killer offseason. If only we could have added the equivalent of Tanev and OEL. Of course Toronto's goalies would do well
Stolarz making 2.5M?

About a 0.940 Save % and a 1.8GAA lol (5 games though)

This is the same guy who stoned us a few times. Stoned Toronto too. I believe he signed so late into the off season

Reactions: Mr Positive

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The thing that is frustrating with Kesselring is we never even gave him a chance.

The guy literally looked good every preseason. Many of the posters on this board could see it.

But the organization wouldn’t play him for reasons. This organization is terrible with young players.

I wasn’t advocating for the Broberg and Holloway offer sheets but I do think the organization didn’t do much to help them. Broberg had games where he got like 2 minutes.

Even someone like Stolarz who was an Oiler. We didn’t even play him one game did we? And I think the season was a write off at that point,

I sort of see the same thing with Philp. Sure theres no harm in him playing in the AHL. But the organization should also be playing guys who look ready and giving them some rope.

Lavoie is another guy we wouldn’t even play.

I really question how some decisions are made here. This organization is so afraid of playing some younger guys.
This organization has never prioritized development and still don't. They've always chased unicorns and rainbows mostly whiffing and have never as long as I've been a fan prioritized internal development.
The late 90s, early 00s Oilers did but they had financial restraints so they had to trade their youth. Other than that, it's been a black hole of virtual nothingness. Look at their drafting record over the last 35 years, it's amazingly atrocious and some of their hits were traded or lost (Broberg and Holloway in the most recent case) and flourished elsewhere.

If they didn't win the McLottery and get lucky with Draisaitl, this would be the worst organization in the NHL. Still early for the new regime to come to any conclusions about them but not a great start thus far.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The thing that is frustrating with Kesselring is we never even gave him a chance.

The guy literally looked good every preseason. Many of the posters on this board could see it.

But the organization wouldn’t play him for reasons. This organization is terrible with young players.

I wasn’t advocating for the Broberg and Holloway offer sheets but I do think the organization didn’t do much to help them. Broberg had games where he got like 2 minutes.

Even someone like Stolarz who was an Oiler. We didn’t even play him one game did we? And I think the season was a write off at that point,

I sort of see the same thing with Philp. Sure theres no harm in him playing in the AHL. But the organization should also be playing guys who look ready and giving them some rope.

Lavoie is another guy we wouldn’t even play.

I really question how some decisions are made here. This organization is so afraid of playing some younger guys.
Teams that are contending play tend to play vets unless the younger guys creates a clear level of separation, coaches assume in critical moments in big games a vet is less likely to make a stupid mistake, so young players level gap has to exceed a certain level of expected mistakes. I feel like the young guys who showed a reasonable gap on the next best option we had got to play.

I have few bones about how we handled the players you mentioned, aside from I think we heavily undervalued Kesselring as a trade chip we basically paid double what Bjugstad was worth. I'd also point out Kesselring didn't really make sense for us in the line-up prior to that deadline with us having Barrie and Bouchard on the roster.

I would of matched the Holloway offersheet, but that obviously comes with cap consequences that I can't guarantee doesn't make us worse for the current season.

With the way Stauffer talks about Philp I'm nearly 100% confident he'll be back playing for us, seems like there is an organizational plan with how we are proceeding with him cause of how much time he missed.

Stolarz whining seems pointless hindsight complaining did anyone at all advocate strongly for him when he was here what 6 season ago or advocate to re-acquire him afterwards?

Lavoie didn't have a clear level of separation on Perry and is lower in intangibles. Nor was he worth the cap implications of keeping him up with the big club.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Leafs had a killer offseason. If only we could have added the equivalent of Tanev and OEL. Of course Toronto's goalies would do well
Both TO goalies and Oilers back up are better than our starting goalie. And the addition of Tanev and OEL helped as well

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Oilers should call Utah, and see if there's a deal.

Nurse($1.25M retainted), Akey and STL 2nd for Valimaki and Shea Weber.

Put Weber on LTIR, with Kane, then call Toronto trade Emberson and pick for Liligren

Go

Ekholm - Bouchard
Valimaki - Liligren
Kulak - Stetcher/Dermott

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers should call Utah, and see if there's a deal.

Nurse($1.25M retainted), Akey and STL 2nd for Valimaki and Shea Weber.

Put Weber on LTIR, with Kane, then call Toronto trade Emberson and pick for Liligren

Go

Ekholm - Bouchard
Valimaki - Liligren
Kulak - Stetcher/Dermott
Akey could probably play bottom pairing as soon as next year

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad