Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If you read it it makes sense and works, if you just see Jarry and Nurse, then your confusion make sense.

Also the rest of you read Nurse going the other way right?

Nurse contract goes till 2030(I think) and TJs till 2028. It is a $$$$ thing. Pickard does not have much value and we are in love with Akey--but he has the shiny new toy thing. WE think he moves the dial on dumping Nurse.

Nurse has 64.75Mill left on his contract after this season and TJ has 16.125 left after this season. Meaning we have 48.625 swing in cap. We are looking at a cap situation. Most are looking at it from the oilers perspective and think other teams will do us favors. The Pens would send equal money back.

So today we're just going to whine about past moves or non-moves, sounds good. lolol

welcome to the oiler board--we like pissing into the wind on a cold and stormy nights

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
and that is the other thing.
And imo it's why we should never discuss a Nurse trade. Not only is he on a contender, but the core of this team are his best friends. And imo we have seen elite play from Nurse before so the focus should be to rediscover that.

He has never been given a top 4 D partner to play with. We need to try that. Getting Nurse to play to his potential would be a much better outcome than trading him off for whatever garbage other teams would ship us. But yes, it's also our only option

Reactions: barry halls

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Nurse contract goes till 2030(I think) and TJs till 2028. It is a $$$$ thing. Pickard does not have much value and we are in love with Akey--but he has the shiny new toy thing. WE think he moves the dial on dumping Nurse.

Nurse has 64.75Mill left on his contract after this season and TJ has 16.125 left after this season. Meaning we have 48.625 swing in cap. We are looking at a cap situation. Most are looking at it from the oilers perspective and think other teams will do us favors. The Pens would send equal money back.

welcome to the oiler board--we like pissing into the wind on a cold and stormy nights
Sure, but the Pens are trying to be competitive forever, they aren't giving in, so Nurse fits that mold of just trying to keep holding on.

Of course Nurse would have to waive, but WE can explore that as much as we want.

Plus he gets to play with Sid and gets either Erik Karlsson or Kris Letang as a partner.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sure, but the Pens are trying to be competitive forever, they aren't giving in, so Nurse fits that mold of just trying to keep holding on.

Of course Nurse would have to waive, but WE can explore that as much as we want.

Plus he gets to play with Sid and gets either Erik Karlsson or Kris Letang as a partner.

you are not addressing the $$$ and that is big part of the problem. Pens have Karlsson on 9.999 for 3 years after this one

And right now? Not many consider them a contender

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm hoping that me and others were right about Nurse in that he just needs the right style of D partner for him to play well. Stecher seems like a very good fit even if overall he isn't that great.

As for Bouch and Ekholm I agree they are off, but I'm not worried about them. It's easy to over analyze a bad pattern so early in the year. But that cuts both ways and I'm not ready to say Nurse is back to the form that got him his contract
I hope we are both right. We’ve defended Nurse a lot lol

Reactions: Mr Positive

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
We probably can't wait this long to do it, but Chicago has three pieces that would fit well here at the deadline:

To Chicago- O'Reilly, 2026 Oilers 1st, 2025 Blues 2nd
To Cap Broker- 2026 Oilers 3rd
To Edmonton- Murphy (50%), Hall (75%), Soderblom

$30K under Kane's available LTIR.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Hall-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Perry

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Murphy
Kulak-Emberson
Stecher/Dermott

Skinner
Pickard
Soderblom

This gives you a decent secondary goalie option if Skinner continues to struggle at Campbell-esque levels while shoring up the D. Hall also helps replace some of the speed we lost this off-season. Plus when Kane is healthy, we could look to reunite the Janmark/Henrique/Brown line that did so much damage in the ploffs:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Hall-RNH-Perry
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

No team can challenge us on that center depth and I'd say 1-6 our D would go from a weakness to a real strength. Just need the wingers to deliver for that to be a finalist again.
Absolute dog shit the oilers would be idiots to offer this

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
We probably can't wait this long to do it, but Chicago has three pieces that would fit well here at the deadline:

To Chicago- O'Reilly, 2026 Oilers 1st, 2025 Blues 2nd
To Cap Broker- 2026 Oilers 3rd
To Edmonton- Murphy (50%), Hall (75%), Soderblom

$30K under Kane's available LTIR.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Hall-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Ryan-Perry

Ekholm-Bouch
Nurse-Murphy
Kulak-Emberson
Stecher/Dermott

Skinner
Pickard
Soderblom

This gives you a decent secondary goalie option if Skinner continues to struggle at Campbell-esque levels while shoring up the D. Hall also helps replace some of the speed we lost this off-season. Plus when Kane is healthy, we could look to reunite the Janmark/Henrique/Brown line that did so much damage in the ploffs:

Skinner-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Arvidsson
Hall-RNH-Perry
Janmark-Henrique-Brown

No team can challenge us on that center depth and I'd say 1-6 our D would go from a weakness to a real strength. Just need the wingers to deliver for that to be a finalist again.

Okay--here is the first problem--we would have to make it the 2027 first. The conditions of the 2025 first rounder will be fun in any trade discussion.

Also.. the Hawks are looking to surround their kids with vets and that is the roll Hall is filling

Thanks for that nuanced analysis, great to see such thoughtful discussion.

we are giving up a lot of assets for very little return

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
gang gang gang gang
gun-clint-eastwood.gif

You don't have any aspirations for the Oilers to win, that's a given I figured out a long time ago.

Gang gang

Congrats on using slang 13 year olds used a decade ago.

Can't wait to hear you say fire and slay soon.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I seem to recall you and I were pretty high on Kesselring early on.

I do believe we have something in Wanner and Akey if he can get back on track.

Yevseyev is intriguing as well if we can get him out of Russia.
Yevseyev still not being a full time KHL guy at 20 is worrying though.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
And imo it's why we should never discuss a Nurse trade. Not only is he on a contender, but the core of this team are his best friends. And imo we have seen elite play from Nurse before so the focus should be to rediscover that.

He has never been given a top 4 D partner to play with. We need to try that. Getting Nurse to play to his potential would be a much better outcome than trading him off for whatever garbage other teams would ship us. But yes, it's also our only option

There is also another thing that makes Nurse untradable. 6mill in bonuses over the last 4 years of the contract. The last 3 years his base salary is 1.2 with a 6mill bonus each year

Reactions: Mr Positive

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
With any Nurse trade there is always two questions I ask

1) Why is the other team doing it
2) Does the money Balance

we are in the cap world and number 2 will always be asked
And
3) does it make the Oilers better

Nurse for Graves and Jarry absolutely does not make the Oilers better.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There is also another thing that makes Nurse untradable. 6mill in bonuses over the last 4 years of the contract. The last 3 years his base salary is 1.2 with a 6mill bonus each year
I'm pretty bad with knowing that stuff but sure, I can see that as a negative.

But also, maybe Broberg was our chance to replace Nurse with another LD for the top 4 but now we don't have that. Even if Nurse is overpaid he can at least excel for stretches and eat up big minutes. I doubt we magically find the next Forsling, and any established LD we get will probably have a lot of "grass is greener" appeal. The new guy having to play with Dermott/Stecher/Emberson will turn plenty of Oiler fans against him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad