Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where's the Beef?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That was such a dumb trade. A 3rd for Bjugstad was more than enough. That piece was a seed that Holland planted in case he wants a job in Utah
I hate to pine for former players and hated when others did but the difference is that others were pining for the likes of Bear and I forget the other mediocre player they let go that a certain group of the fanbase was frothing at the mouth over losing but Broberg and Kesselring are going to haunt the Oilers for years while they scramble to find top 4 Dmen and if they do it'll probably be some older guy who is only a short term solution.

Broberg bothers me a little less so even though he'll be more impactful than Kesselring long term most likely because they had less control of that situation but literally giving away Kesselring for an inconsequential rental will forever stick in my craw.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I hate to pine for former players and hated when others did but the difference is that others were pining for the likes of Bear and I forget the other mediocre player they let go that a certain group of the fanbase was frothing at the mouth over losing but Broberg and Kesselring are going to haunt the Oilers for years while they scramble to find top 4 Dmen and if they do it'll probably be some older guy who is only a short term solution.

Broberg bothers me a little less so even though he'll be more impactful than Kesselring long term most likely because they had less control of that situation but literally giving away Kesselring for an inconsequential rental will forever stick in my craw.
Broberg had one foot out the door so it hurt a little less and the Blues are essentially paying him 7M. Holloway was just throw in. We will start to see how clear that is soon enough.

Kesselring's skill level was as clear as day and he showed flashes of that quite often and leading up to that trade which makes that trade so stupid to begin with.

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Kesselring

That's a nice looking Dcorps

North

Jun 25, 2009

I seem to recall you and I were pretty high on Kesselring early on.

I do believe we have something in Wanner and Akey if he can get back on track.

Yevseyev is intriguing as well if we can get him out of Russia.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
To be fair, if they had scored 2 more goals last season, nobody would give two shits about Kesselring anymore. But they came up a couple goals short so we're going to hear about it forever now.

I liked him too. He's gone. The team got as close to a Cup as you can get with what they bought with him. Let's get over it.

Edit: He ain't it boys. :laugh::laugh:
Let me cope god dammit.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I seem to recall you and I were pretty high on Kesselring early on.

I do believe we have something in Wanner and Akey if he can get back on track.

Yevseyev is intriguing as well if we can get him out of Russia.
Yeah, it was you, me @Bryanbryoil and @Fourier who were high on Kesselring as far as I know from the beginning really. I usually err on the optimistic side but I hated that trade from the moment it was announced.

In any event, if there's one organizational strength in the pipeline it's RHD so I have hope for these guys to potentially be....something down the line. It's pretty barren elsewhere for the most part outside of Savoie and O'Reilly. Holland and his regime really left the Oilers in a bad spot long term.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Michael Kesselring. Why did the Oilers botch this one too? Weren't all signs pointing to him being at minimum an NHL player? We got a handful of games from Bjugstad and ine playoff goal? MK is now 24, RHD, 20+ minutes, 6-5, can skate and is signed 1.4M x 2 more seasons. We chose Vinny over this player? Vinny who has no kffensive skill and is 4 years older? If the Oilers had Broberg and Kesselring instead of Emberson and Stetcher, they might win the Cup in 20 playoff games or less.

The Oilers talent evaluation under Holland was pretty suspect...maybe even putrid. Saved by UFA signings, Ekholm trade and generational 1st round draft picks.
It was dumb as dumb could be. We were all complaining about Ceci already and Kesselring showed a huge uptick in goalscoring and showed real improvement. Then Vinny got a shot and I guess they figured that Vinny and Ceci were going to be here long term so why keep this guy tearing up the AHL that just so happened to be big and a RHD? Personally I think that there were issues between him and Woody or someone in the org didn't like him because he never even got a game in with the big club.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
To be fair, if they had scored 2 more goals last season, nobody would give two shits about Kesselring anymore. But they came up a couple goals short so we're going to hear about it forever now.

I liked him too. He's gone. The team got as close to a Cup as you can get with what they bought with him. Let's get over it.

Edit: He ain't it boys. :laugh::laugh:
Let me cope god dammit.

So time stops when you win the cup? You don't trade quality prospects for anything but game changers that put you over the top or quality role players that are signed to decent deals.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yeah, it was you, me @Bryanbryoil and @Fourier who were high on Kesselring as far as I know from the beginning really. I usually err on the optimistic side but I hated that trade from the moment it was announced.

In any event, if there's one organizational strength in the pipeline it's RHD so I have hope for these guys to potentially be....something down the line. It's pretty barren elsewhere for the most part outside of Savoie and O'Reilly. Holland and his regime really left the Oilers in a bad spot long term.
What bugged me most about this deal was it seemed at the time like he was just a throw in. A contract you send the other way just because it has no value to you.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A lot can be forgiven if management does land that 2nd pair RD that we need, and if that move results in improvements in Nurse.

Right now it makes sense that we'd pine over Broberg because the hole in defense is glaring.

I'd say that Stecher has been playing great and it's making the pairing work. Imo we are okay until deadline.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What bugged me most about this deal was it seemed at the time like he was just a throw in. A contract you send the other way just because it has no value to you.
Just like with Broberg though, of course these players have an easier time to succeed on a much worse team. They can get all the opportunity they would want. It's not like St Louis or Arizona had to sacrifice anything to make room for them.

This is the downside of having a contender. You are always stressed for cap space and bleed good players. Contenders tend to lose their trades

We are still a great contender. Even these points to bash the decisions are along the margins for the most part

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Just like with Broberg though, of course these players have an easier time to succeed on a much worse team. They can get all the opportunity they would want. It's not like St Louis or Arizona had to sacrifice anything to make room for them.

This is the downside of having a contender. You are always stressed for cap space and bleed good players. Contenders tend to lose their trades

We are still a great contender. Even these points to bash the decisions are along the margins for the most part

The frustrating part is how a few guys get massive run way on this team and certain players/prospects don't.

How did Kailer Yamamoto get approximately 8038737439383 chances to play fairly big minutes, but a player like Broberg did not? Kesselring didn't even get 1 game with the NHL team while Vincent Desharnais got a boat load.

Stuart Skinner is anointed the savior in net, while guys like Stolarz got tossed aside.

This team really loves to anoint certain players as "locks" and then not give chances to other guys.

Last edited:

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
If you look at the last little while in snapshots, there are some things that don't look very good. I can't pretdict the future, and I couldn't 5 months ago. Or when Nurse signed that contract. Or... any time in between.

There is a slew of things that didn't work out as intended. Personally I can't spend my days shitting on anyone for it; what the hell do I know except some things I thought were good ideas might have been good in retrospect. That certainly doesn't make me a hockey genius. It's just math.

But if we don't win a cup very soon, those things (why name them, we all know them) will haunt this organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad