Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wheat Kings and Pretty Things, Let's See What The Expansion Draft Brings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
As much as we don’t see it, Kassian still has value though. Even if we’re not happy about his contract.

This trade, literally the only issue is the cap hit. The acquisition cost was minimal.

Cap space is massive right now with a flat cap and the meager gain coming next summer. I think that is lost on a lot of people. You can see what the Islanders just paid to get Ladd off the books. So many teams would love to find a way to dump cap space.

The Oilers are valuing intangibles at maybe the biggest premium of any team in the NHL now, thinking guys like Keith and Kassin are worth more than any other team would be willing to give them. I suppose we'll see how that pays off...but we've been doing that for some time now. Intangibles with guys that can't perform at a high level have not given many tangible results so far. Both with guys on the ice, and amazing past winners flooding our front office.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Cap space is massive right now with a flat cap and the meager gain coming next summer. I think that is lost on a lot of people. You can see what the Islanders just paid to get Ladd off the books. So many teams would love to find a way to dump cap space.

The Oilers are valuing intangibles at maybe the biggest premium of any team in the NHL now, thinking guys like Keith and Kassin are worth more than any other team would be willing to give them. I suppose we'll see how that pays off...but we've been doing that for some time now. Intangibles with guys that can't perform at a high level have not given many tangible results so far. Both with guys on the ice, and amazing past winners flooding our front office.
Capspace is massive yet teams are lining up to give guys like Hyman, and Goodrow big and long contracts.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Capspace is massive yet teams are lining up to give guys like Hyman, and Goodrow big and long contracts.

That's how it works. Guys proven not worth their current cap hit are dumped, or at least teams are trying to dump them, but teams desperate to win pay the guys that looked good most recently to new deals that they'll be trying to dump in a few years.

Ideally you're a team that is simply not involved in those mistakes. Lots of good teams wouldn't be interested in big deals for Hyman or Goodrow. No surprise we're mentioned as one going for Hyman.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015

Cap space Isn’t important if you have no where to use it. Free up cap space to overpay UFAs?
It’s really relative to each teams situation and not so black and white

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
So we give up assets to get a Duncan Keith contact.

Islanders have to give up assets to get RID of Andrew Ladds contract.

Seriously f*** this organization.

Reactions: space321

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Cap space lol any important if you have no where to use it. Free up cap space to overpay UFAs?
It’s really relative to each teams situation and not so black and white

Cap space is useful to every team. Are you suggesting we have space to waste? We definitely do not. This is a lineup still full of holes, and Nurse alone is going to take more than whatever the cap increases for 22/23 is with his raise.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

We've already covered this perspective of these deals. There's a difference between a player that hasn't played in the league for two seasons and one that led his team in ice time.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Cap space is useful to every team. Are you suggesting we have space to waste? We definitely do not. This is a lineup still full of holes, and Nurse alone is going to take more than whatever the cap increases for 22/23 is with his raise.

agreed we have holes but those holes cost us way more money to fill in UFA.
Trades cost big assets (we don’t have) and therefore spending today’s cap money leaves us without tomorrow’s
I personally don’t think we should pick up every need this UFA the crop isn’t there imo
Save room for deadline/trades and 2022

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
You just keep telling yourself he was the type of player to give up assets and assume 100% of his contract. He was deplorable last year. Deplorable.

his metrics were bad on a bad team
Drop his minutes like we will and we’ll all be happy with the trade is my guess only time will tell

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

... Use your head man. Keith has been Chicagos #1 for his whole career and he has had one bad season. Ladd has played 4 NHL games in 2 years. He's also been terrible in the AHL. What are you talking about?

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
The only player moved today that I'm a little upset over missing out on is Dickinson. Would have been nice to have a pick to throw Dallas' way.

He would have been a nice fit at #3C. He played well enough there for the Stars that he bumped Faksa down to #4C. He could give you 25-30 points and solid possession numbers with a more defensive focused usage. He's even had a little success moving up with skill guys.

Obligatory #graph:

He has never put up more than 22 points in a season and I have a sneaking suspicion if he came to the Oilers he'd be another Turris/Rieder where his sparse production on other teams shrinks even more so on the Oilers.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Yes because Ladd literally sucks so bad and shit he can't play. He played 4 NHL games over 2 years and spent time in the AHL where he sucked.

The difference in current playing ability between Ladd and Keith is massive
The difference is not "2 2nds+2 3rds+Jones", Keith is not good.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Maybe nyi lands hyman and landeskog?

Even with the Ladd money coming off the books, Islanders still have to resign Beauvillier and Sorokin who are RFA's. Either resign or replace Cizikas, and they only have 5 defencemen signed so they will have to sign a couple more....don't think that leaves them with enough to land both of those guys.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
You just keep telling yourself he was the type of player to give up assets and assume 100% of his contract. He was deplorable last year. Deplorable.

you have the lost the plot junior. Comparing Ladd to Keith to like comparing me to Leonardo DiCaprio--just does not work.

Keith will be a good fit to the team, whether you like it or not

NO one is happy we gave up a pick--but Keith bring stuff that we have missed--leadership and experience--

and before you say he is done

Duncan Keith

he played a lot last season on a bad team and that has hurt his numbers--with the oilers he wont be asked to be the number 1 D--Nurse has that job and Keith is more than likely to play with Larsson(just a guess)--

How many games did Ladd play in the NHL this season? 1 game?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad