Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread: "Wheat Kings and Pretty Things, Let's See What The Expansion Draft Brings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Been busy all morning, just checking to see what moves Kenny made to fill this teams many holes.

Can someone fill me in on the action?

/s
Andrew Ladd's contract to AZ for picks & Goodrow's rights to NYR for a 7th round pick are the two other moves.

Screenshot_20210717_160238_com.android.chrome.jpg

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The only player moved today that I'm a little upset over missing out on is Dickinson. Would have been nice to have a pick to throw Dallas' way.

He would have been a nice fit at #3C. He played well enough there for the Stars that he bumped Faksa down to #4C. He could give you 25-30 points and solid possession numbers with a more defensive focused usage. He's even had a little success moving up with skill guys.

Obligatory #graph:

On the Stars board it doesn't seem like the consensus is necessarily that Dickinson is better than Faksa, more that Faksa has been playing a bit beat up and the assumption is a fully healthy Faksa would or should begin to outperform Dickinson again.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Nothing that went down made me feel like we really missed out on something:

• Ellis deal- IMO we didn't have the disposable pieces to be a player for him, plus our D protection slots are already accounted for
  • Howden deal- Who cares
  • Goodrow deal- He's of interest, but lower on my pecking order of guys to target in free agency, this is more of a if free agency doesn't work out you whip out the crystal ball and lament not making a play for his rights with the full benefit of hindsight.
  • Adin Hill deal- I'm not familiar enough with the player to be comfortable paying what SJ did, I've got no idea if it was a good or bad move.
  • Jared McCann deal- Pitt likes the prospect, I'm doubtful they consider Lavoie to be a direct equal of Hallander and trading Holloway is obviously stupid for us, we don't have many B tier quality forward prospects to really compete, also if we top TO there is no saying TO doesn't come back with a better offer. This deal strikes me as relatively fair, it doesn't feel like we lost out on some great value deal that we easily could of paid.
  • Dickinson deal- he was my under the radar acquisition target for the day, but I was expecting the price to be dirt cheap, a 3rd round pick is a little stiffer than I was expecting for a bottom six guy about to be exposed, not a big loss, small chance he blossoms into something more than what he presently is.
  • Ladd deal- this is the only I could see a bit of remorse on being justified and not in acquiring Ladd ofcourse, but in terms of getting a team to eat capspace. Based on what ARI got, I'm guessing it would of cost roughly a 2nd rd pick to get them to eat half of Keith's remaining contract. It makes the acquisition price of Keith feel all that much higher and almost feels like compounding the damage of overpaying for Keith in the first place, but $2.75M more cap is probably the difference between a mediocre 3rd line and a quality 3rd line.

The first available 2nd rounder that we can trade is our 2023 pick though.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Honestly, I really don't care about the other teams. Protecting Kassian doesn't make any sense unless there's plans to trade him later on to fill a need elsewhere. Otherwise, it's an opportunity lost to potentially free up some much needed salary especially the two years after this one when the Oilers could be cap strapped again.
I agree. He can be useful when he is on his game playing with McDavid. But the team needs to upgrade the wings so that he is not an option in the top 6. And if they do that he is too expensive for an inconsistent bottom 6 guy.

Reactions: Oilception

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
On the Stars board it doesn't seem like the consensus is necessarily that Dickinson is better than Faksa, more that Faksa has been playing a bit beat up and the assumption is a fully healthy Faksa would or should begin to outperform Dickinson again.

I could see it, but Faksa has had a couple of pretty bad seasons in a row. He was especially bad this year.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'd say it's expensive to free up cap space based on that Ladd trade, but a team just paid to take Keith's 5.5M, so that wouldn't be totally accurate :sarcasm:

Reactions: Klimando Kostani

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
All we paid is Jones and a conditional third (if it becomes a second, we’ll be happy) and Keith is more useful than Ladd.

Depends on how Keith plays. Maybe we'd rather have the LTIR space.

As for giving stuff for Keith's entire 5.5M. It's still a joke around the league with everyone except a portion of Oilers fans.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Watch for the Islanders to land Hall and reunite him with his buddy Ebs.

I can see that. Lou is a good GM and they are a good team that just cleared a bunch of cap space. Oilers aren’t even close. Lowe’s advice and a recommendation to hire Nicholson has set this organization back decades

North

Jun 25, 2009
Depends on how Keith plays. Maybe we'd rather have the LTIR space.

As for giving stuff for Keith's entire 5.5M. It's still a joke around the league with everyone except a portion of Oilers fans.

Meh.

The same people ragging on us are the same people who say we need vets, etc.

They’re going to rag on us no matter what.

Reactions: oilers'72

North

Jun 25, 2009
I can see that. Lou is a good GM and they are a good team that just cleared a bunch of cap space. Oilers aren’t even close. Lowe’s advice and a recommendation to hire Nicholson has set this organization back decades

Yes. We’ve been in playoff position two seasons in a row but we’re set back decades.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Meh.

The same people ragging on us are the same people who say we need vets, etc.

They’re going to rag on us no matter what.

Sometimes it's not warranted, sometimes it is. In this case, IMO it is. I'll happily defend our team when the attacks are bull, but I do have my limits. Stuff like giving Kassian 4 years for a good month with McDavid and jumping Tkachuk, Kostko's contract, this trade, can't do it hehe.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Sometimes it's not warranted, sometimes it is. In this case, IMO it is. I'll happily defend our team when the attacks are bull, but I do have my limits. Stuff like giving Kassian 4 years for a good month with McDavid and jumping Tkachuk, Kostko's contract, this trade, can't do it hehe.

As much as we don’t see it, Kassian still has value though. Even if we’re not happy about his contract.

This trade, literally the only issue is the cap hit. The acquisition cost was minimal.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
That Ladd trade is all evidence needed for a competent organization to fire Holland.

Although we’re not a competent organization.

point of order

1) The conditions on the trade are interesting to say the least--if we gave that up to move Neal--this place would burn to the ground
2) Ladd is owed in physical money only 5 mill to Neal being owed like 11 mill over 2 years
3) Explain how it makes the oilers look bad>?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
As much as we don’t see it, Kassian still has value though. Even if we’re not happy about his contract.

This trade, literally the only issue is the cap hit. The acquisition cost was minimal.
The acquisition cost IS the cap hit. Look how much it took for NYI to dump the Ladd contract.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I heard they’re trying to trade ebs

1 source says the NYI are trying to trade him but 2 others are saying the LAK are looking at him
The wild card is if the NYI are looking at getting landeskog from the Avs on the open market

NYI have moved out nearly 9mill and took almost no money back--they are going big game hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad