Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Do Our RFA's Sign For Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Do Our RFA's Get?

• Bouchard 1 Year up to $3 million

• Bouchard 1 Year $3-4 million

• Bouchard 1 Year Over $4 million

• Bouchard 2 Years <$3.5 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years $3.5-$4 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years > $4 million AAV

• Bouchard Longer Than 2 Years

• McLeod 1 Year >$1.5 million

• McLeod 1 Year $1.5 to $2 million

• McLeod 2 Years >$1.5 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years $1.5 to $2 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years Over $2 million AAV

• McLeod Longer Than 3 Years

• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It could also be as simple as the Oilers never reached out to these players. Rightly or wrongly, the Oilers had clearly zeroed in on Brown as their target well before free agency began. Beyond that they seem to be solely looking for a 4th line C.
It sure seems like that could be the case. I mean it sounds like certain players in the leadership group wants Foegele and Brown here.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
So Americans don't want to win the cup now? Is it not at least a little concerning that now both Russians and Americans don't want to play in Edmonton?

Edmonton?

DeBrincat played for Ottawa. Tkachuk and Gaudreau played for Calgary. Hellebuyck plays for Winnipeg. Pacioretty played for Montreal.

Are you really denying that good American UFAs often don't want to play in Canada?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Edmonton?

DeBrincat played for Ottawa. Tkachuk and Gaudreau played for Calgary. Hellebuyck plays for Winnipeg.

Are you really denying that good American UFAs often don't want to play in Canada?
Well we haven't had luck with Russians or Americans. Quite frankly I don't gaf about other Canadian markets and unlike them we have the 2 best players in the league and are likely the closest to winning the cup.

Reactions: Duke74

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Well we haven't had luck with Russians or Americans. Quite frankly I don't gaf about other Canadian markets and unlike them we have the 2 best players in the league and are likely the closest to winning the cup.

So you're counter argument to the trend of Americans returning to play in America when they get the opportunity is that you don't care.

Winning isn't the only thing that players care about.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Has his pluses...and some negatives. Not really trending to centre.....but one day maybe a primo pk guy.
Funny you mention Center, i think he has time to but we have the advantage of dropping RNH into the 3C slot and riding him on the wing and it might be worth exploring

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Unless McLeod’s demands are unreasonable, giving up on him would be a mistake and they’d just have to pay (likely) more to get a veteran bottom 6C. The “genius” contingent of armchair GMs here would celebrate, though.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Unless McLeod’s demands are unreasonable, giving up on him would be a mistake and they’d just have to pay (likely) more to get a veteran bottom 6C. The “genius” contingent of armchair GMs here would celebrate, though.
Maybe the arbiter comes up with 2.5 mil...what then...for a guy not ready for 3c but is capable at 4C with pK.....

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I cant believe he's asking for to much but no doubt he's looking to recoup what he lost last year because he signed a team friendly deal

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So you're counter argument to the trend of Americans returning to play in America when they get the opportunity is that you don't care.

Winning isn't the only thing that players care about.
Reading isn't that hard, I said I don't gaf about other Canadian markets. Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver aren't close to the cup so what happens there is irrelevant to our unique situation. Winning might not be the only thing but it is rather concerning that even with that being likely and playing with great players that they still want no part of Edmonton. Would Bill Guerin and Doug Weight have bolted if we were true cup contenders and they were able to get their $ here?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
No use discussing a McLeod trade. Holland hasn't got the marbles.
Maybe he can sign a free agent or two.
MaX Comtois could work. Can be a net front presence ....can play up the line up occasionly but is inconsistent enough there (not a shooter). Can be called on to protect his line mates.

Derek Grant ...good at faceoffs, can still clear the front of the net and knows when to go help his wingers.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Reading isn't that hard, I said I don't gaf about other Canadian markets. Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver aren't close to the cup so what happens there is irrelevant to our unique situation. Winning might not be the only thing but it is rather concerning that even with that being likely and playing with great players that they still want no part of Edmonton. Would Bill Guerin and Doug Weight have bolted if we were true cup contenders and they were able to get their $ here?

I think we're arguing about two different things. I'm presenting the history that they don't sign in Canada. You're speculating the motive as to why Americans don't typically sign in Canada. In short, there's a ton of evidence to support them preferring to play in the States regardless of a team's contender status. If you want to guess why this is the case, go for it.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think we're arguing about two different things. I'm presenting the history that they don't sign in Canada. You're speculating the motive as to why Americans don't typically sign in Canada. In short, there's a ton of evidence to support them preferring to play in the States regardless of a team's contender status. If you want to guess why this is the case, go for it.
How many legit Canadian contenders have there been in the last 10 years? There finally is one and yet other than Ryan they want no part of coming here. I mean I get that the cold can suck but clearly there is more to it than that at this point.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I have no fear about McLeod at arb in terms of AAV. If anything, what worries me is the damage that could occur with the hearing and negatives that the Oilers can role out. I genuinely think he and his agents will cave at 1.6 x 1 year or 1.8 x 2 years. His offensive numbers are underwhelming and his extreme high comps are at 2M and low end comps are closer to 1.2M.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Different time. When Guerin and Weight played players became UFA's at 31. Those extra 4 years make a difference because by 31-33 say families had established themselves in a community. Plus the lifestyle of today's players are different. By the time he was 27 and an established star Weight had earned a grand total of just over $5M. Guerin at 27 had earned about $2M. At age 27 Patches had earned $18M and JVR just under $30M. Having multiple houses and living the highlife in a nice place is a little bit easier when your career earnings are $30M or even $50M+ than when they are $2-5M even accounting for inflation. In the late 90's the median price of a house in NYC was around $300K US. That's roughly the current median price in Edmonton converted to USD. And I venture to say that today's NHL player with a young family is not looking for the "median priced home in NYC" as a life style move.

Today's star UFA can choose where they want to live. And if they want to win there is a desirable US city that they can go to.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I have no fear about McLeod at arb in terms of AAV. If anything, what worries me is the damage that could occur with the hearing and negatives that the Oilers can role out. I genuinely think he and his agents will cave at 1.6 x 1 year or 1.8 x 2 years. His offensive numbers are underwhelming and his extreme high comps are at 2M and low end comps are closer to 1.2M.
Problem is you have Genius GM running around saying he is a 3C....when clearly he is not.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
With Arizona running less than a 50 mil team this year and a truly average D....maybe we get to see what Kesselring might have been...hope so. He could see multiple extended cups of coffee..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad