Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Do Our RFA's Sign For Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Do Our RFA's Get?

• Bouchard 1 Year up to $3 million

• Bouchard 1 Year $3-4 million

• Bouchard 1 Year Over $4 million

• Bouchard 2 Years <$3.5 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years $3.5-$4 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years > $4 million AAV

• Bouchard Longer Than 2 Years

• McLeod 1 Year >$1.5 million

• McLeod 1 Year $1.5 to $2 million

• McLeod 2 Years >$1.5 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years $1.5 to $2 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years Over $2 million AAV

• McLeod Longer Than 3 Years

• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Kinda surprised Kane and the family live in Edmonton over the summer (granted it's quite nice in the summer), but everyone said "he has a model wife! They're going to be in LA all the time!" stuff. Most players tend to leave the city they play in over the summer, but looks like the Ekholms and Kanes are both in Edmonton year round.
Kane's wife is beautiful, maybe not Celeste hot but definitely a very, very good looking woman. He definitely upgraded from his ex since this one doesn't seem to be cray cray and seems cool not living in the bright lights 24/7.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't want Chiasson back either, but I throw up on mouth a bit every time somebody mentions Nick Ritchie. He's been underwhelming for almost a decade in this league and there were questions about his work ethic back in junior. Where does a LW even fit on this roster? He'd be behind half a dozen of them.

Chiasson hasn't made much of a mark since he put up 20 here years ago. We saw firsthand what happens to his game when he doesn't get the offensive push.

The list of physical players that can kind of play hockey out there in UFA is pretty short.

Ritchie had a higher hits/60 last year than anyone on the roster right now. I wouldn't hate him at league minimum. I've always liked his brother as a #13F too. Really underrated fighter, IMO.

I feel like they're planning on using either Foegele or Janmark at #3RW, so there's a bit of room for competition at #4LW.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The list of physical players that can kind of play hockey out there in UFA is pretty short.

Ritchie had a higher hits/60 last year than anyone on the roster right now. I wouldn't hate him at league minimum. I've always liked his brother as a #13F too. Really underrated fighter, IMO.

I feel like they're planning on using either Foegele or Janmark at #3RW, so there's a bit of room for competition at #4LW.
Don't care about physicality whatsoever in our bottom six. I just want one that outscores its competition. The number of teams that have passed on this guy has grown exponentially over the years.

Holloway needs a shot and so does Lavoie. There are plenty of in house options for that LW role. The roster is lacking in natural RWs.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Don't care about physicality whatsoever in our bottom six. I just want one that outscores its competition. The number of teams that have passed on this guy has grown exponentially over the years.

Holloway needs a shot and so does Lavoie. There are plenty of in house options for that LW role. The roster is lacking in natural RWs.
I think there's going to be a lot of waiver action with all the guys signing for league minimum this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ritchies make it through.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think there's going to be a lot of waiver action with all the guys signing for league minimum this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ritchies make it through.
Good point on the waivers. Chances are there might be a better option available through waivers than what’s left of the cheap UFA’s.

Reactions: La Bamba

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Good point on the waivers. Chances are there might be a better option available through waivers than what’s left of the cheap UFA’s.
This should be the best way to fill out the roster

Foegele still needs to go tho. I know people keep saying McDavid wants him around but the ~12-13 mins he plays a night can be filled by another Janmark/Ryan type player for 1.2M max. Use the extra cap space to absorb some of Brown's 3.25M bonus

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
This should be the best way to fill out the roster

Foegele still needs to go tho. I know people keep saying McDavid wants him around but the ~12-13 mins he plays a night can be filled by another Janmark/Ryan type player for 1.2M max. Use the extra cap space to absorb some of Brown's 3.25M bonus
I'm pretty sure that bonus doesn't kick in until next season and Foegel is only signed for one more year.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm pretty sure that bonus doesn't kick in until next season and Foegel is only signed for one more year.
Oh I thought the 3.25M bonus could go onto this season and whatever is left remaining goes to the next? So if the Oil had 1M cap space now, they would have a 2.25M penalty next year? or is it all 3.25M next year regardless

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Oh I thought the 3.25M bonus could go onto this season and whatever is left remaining goes to the next? So if the Oil had 1M cap space now, they would have a 2.25M penalty next year? or is it all 3.25M next year regardless
I’ve wondered this myself.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Yes, if we finish the season with 1M in cap space the penalty will only be 2.25M next year.

I have a feeling Holland will find a creative way to make sure we don't have a penalty next year.
Don't teams 'accrue' cap space over the year or something along those lines? Like if they carry 21 players, they save cap over the course of the year by the TDL. I also think Holland has something up his sleeve so the Oilers will have most the 3.25M bonus taken care of. Maybe the bonus kicking in at the 10 game mark has something to do with it?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Marshmallows are pretty nice compared to whatever Chiasson is.
Marshmallows will constipate you and contribute to your diabetes, badly. Stay away from them.
Yes, if we finish the season with 1M in cap space the penalty will only be 2.25M next year.

I have a feeling Holland will find a creative way to make sure we don't have a penalty next year.
if this team has empty cap space this year given how things are and what the team is shooting for , thats nuts.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I’ve wondered this myself.
At the end of the season the bonus is first applied to any unused cap space for the season. The remainder is applied for next year. So if the Oilers accrue $2mm of cap space by the trade deadline and then add salary to use that space up there’s none left to apply the bonus to. You have to assume the oilers will max out cap usage this year and the entire bonus goes to next year.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
At the end of the season the bonus is first applied to any unused cap space for the season. The remainder is applied for next year. So if the Oilers accrue $2mm of cap space by the trade deadline and then add salary to use that space up there’s none left to apply the bonus to. You have to assume the oilers will max out cap usage this year and the entire bonus goes to next year.

I posted this in the Connor Brown thread but I'm wondering what the rules say about us sending a few players down before game 82 and running a 20 man roster for the last game. We would effectively end the season with over $3 million in cap space and could call the players back up in the playoffs when the cap is no longer in effect.

There are rules about sending down and recalling players after the trade deadline so I'm not sure if it's possible or not but it could be a solution to our problem.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I posted this in the Connor Brown thread but I'm wondering what the rules say about us sending a few players down before game 82 and running a 20 man roster for the last game. We would effectively end the season with over $3 million in cap space and could call the players back up in the playoffs when the cap is no longer in effect.

There are rules about sending down and recalling players after the trade deadline so I'm not sure if it's possible or not but it could be a solution to our problem.
No it’s based in accumulated spend for this part not available space at the end of the year. So you would only save the portion of their salary for that day, not the entire salary for the year if that makes sense(if you could even do this with most contracts)

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
No it’s based in accumulated spend for this part not available space at the end of the year. So you would only save the portion of their salary for that day, not the entire salary for the year if that makes sense(if you could even do this with most contracts)
That's a shame

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
“When he wants to be.” What does that really mean ? Shades of Lucic? I only turn it on if the moon is in retrograde to Venus? No thanks. Calgary trash bin material.
It means that he doesn't play a physical game consistently, but that when he wants to engage or is challenged he is one of the toughest players in the league. If you can get him for close to league minimum you sign him no questions asked because he adds an element of toughness and has more skill than pure goons.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Yeah, I'd take the Ritchie brothers. Two hulking forwards that can play on the 4th line would suit the Oilers well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
At this point maybe more of a Ryan level player. This is exactly why I am ok with the Brown signing because guys like Hinistroza are probably what you would have been looking at instead.

If that's the situation you've put your team into ... then you have mismanaged your cap badly as a GM, plain and simple.

That's not something that should be applauded.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Kinda surprised Kane and the family live in Edmonton over the summer (granted it's quite nice in the summer), but everyone said "he has a model wife! They're going to be in LA all the time!" stuff. Most players tend to leave the city they play in over the summer, but looks like the Ekholms and Kanes are both in Edmonton year round.

I stand by what I said about Kane early on before he even came here. It’s not easy always being the outcast, so I thought he’d really latch on if embraced. He seems like a guy who truly found his home and it’s great to see that we have a team of guys who want to be here

I'd sign Alex Chiasson for a league minimum deal.

We know what we are getting with him as he's had one tour of duty already with the Oilers and he's a right shot right winger... something there aren't many of hanging around.

He’s a guy I didn’t get why everyone was ready to move on from. He’s obviously not repeating his career year when he played with Connor, but he’s consistently put up ~30 points from the bottom 6. That’s a player I’ve got time for. Especially for dirt cheap. His issue was the booted contract he got. Not the player

If we want some big guy like Chiasson, I'd just go with Nick Ritchie instead. He's at least physical too.

Might as well sign his brother too.

I’d take all 3. We’re nowhere near the contract limit and all 3 are NHL caliber forwards.

I don’t see it disappearing entirely, but it would definitely be good if we had a couple waiver exempt players on the roster that we could send down whenever possible to try and accrue some extra space

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It means that he doesn't play a physical game consistently, but that when he wants to engage or is challenged he is one of the toughest players in the league. If you can get him for close to league minimum you sign him no questions asked because he adds an element of toughness and has more skill than pure goons.
It was rhetorical, but you reinforced that you are ok with signing a marginal player who plays the style of game you desire, when he wants to (your words).

I don’t understand why anyone would aspire to sign someone for their physical prowess who only plays that way when “he wants to engage” because “he doesn’t play a physical game consistently “.

GMKH gets pasted on here for poor signings, this would be in that category. I’m sorry, but your post includes too many reasons as to why you don’t sign him versus reasons to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad