Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Do Our RFA's Sign For Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Do Our RFA's Get?

• Bouchard 1 Year up to $3 million

• Bouchard 1 Year $3-4 million

• Bouchard 1 Year Over $4 million

• Bouchard 2 Years <$3.5 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years $3.5-$4 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years > $4 million AAV

• Bouchard Longer Than 2 Years

• McLeod 1 Year >$1.5 million

• McLeod 1 Year $1.5 to $2 million

• McLeod 2 Years >$1.5 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years $1.5 to $2 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years Over $2 million AAV

• McLeod Longer Than 3 Years

• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
There is such a cognitive dissonance looming here where the people who are happy about getting Brown, sewering next seasons cap using the excuse that getting him now helps us go 'all in', while

a) having no cap space to do anything else and,
b) talks about Holland keeping us 1-2 million BELOW the cap to help stave off the big penalty next year

Are any of you realizing what you're saying here? It's full of contradictions. Only further goes to show that these half-measures dog shit plans are never coming to fruition. Tampa gave away every pick and prospect they had to go all in and were rewarded. Holland is a coward or he is inept, and is costing us a real chance here. In the years he has been twiddling his thumbs he should have been doing what Tampa did. Hilarious to see how Yzerman, the guy he was supposed to show the ropes to in some way, completely showed him up. Holland failed this team no matter which way you slice it.

The window is essentially over, do you guys realize that? Last year was the best chance by a mile and even then we got worked due to glaring deficiencies that were never bothered to be addressed. Hampered by delusional deals given out to mentally weak goalies and mentally weak defencemen. What a shame.

Look rationally at the group we have, especially on D and in goal. Knowing what you know about how this team is, do you think there is any hope of a Cup win? There isn't one. Outgunning the opposition only goes so far.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
There is such a cognitive dissonance looming here where the people who are happy about getting Brown, sewering next seasons cap using the excuse that getting him now helps us go 'all in', while

b) talks about Holland keeping us 1-2 million BELOW the cap to help stave off the big penalty next year

Are any of you realizing what you're saying here? It's full of contradictions. Only further goes to show that these half-measures dog shit plans are never coming to fruition. Tampa gave away every pick and prospect they had to go all in and were rewarded. Holland is a coward or he is inept, and is costing us a real chance here. In the years he has been twiddling his thumbs he should have been doing what Tampa did. Hilarious to see how Yzerman, the guy he was supposed to show the ropes to in some way, completely showed him up. Holland failed this team no matter which way you slice it.

The window is essentially over, do you guys realize that? Last year was the best chance by a mile and even then we got worked due to glaring deficiencies that were never bothered to be addressed. Hampered by delusional deals given out to mentally weak goalies and mentally weak defencemen. What a shame.

Look rationally at the group we have, especially on D and in goal. Knowing what you know about how this team is, do you think there is any hope of a Cup win? There isn't one. Outgunning the opposition only goes so far.
Agreed, let's fold the team and call it a day

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

This is a very dull.... outlook.

Tampa gave away everything at the deadlines for the runs to get Hagel and Coleman. Holland has has two big deadlines in a row. Kane+Kulak followed by Ekholm where he really showed a willingness to pay the price in assets.

The reality is, it is easier to make those types of deals in spring at the deadline. Better talent is a available and cap is easier to sort with retention.

The regular season goal is to make the playoffs, and ideally in a high spot. We have the roster to do that. We need a couple improvements still to be cup favourites, but we have to give Holland until the deadline to judge how he did. It's the roster heading into game 1 of the playoffs that we place our final judgement on.

We have the deepest top 6 we've ever had around the 2 best players in the game. We have a young and energetic 3rd line that could take off this year. Our top 3 D are set, and our bottom pair is great too.

We have time to evaluate Campbell, Skinner, Ceci, Broberg and Holloway before the deadline strikes.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Does anyone know if we acquire someone on LTIR if that space can be used to apply Brown’s bonus to this season?

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
This is a very dull.... outlook.

Tampa gave away everything at the deadlines for the runs to get Hagel and Coleman. Holland has has two big deadlines in a row. Kane+Kulak followed by Ekholm where he really showed a willingness to pay the price in assets.

The reality is, it is easier to make those types of deals in spring at the deadline. Better talent is a available and cap is easier to sort with retention.

The regular season goal is to make the playoffs, and ideally in a high spot. We have the roster to do that. We need a couple improvements still to be cup favourites, but we have to give Holland until the deadline to judge how he did. It's the roster heading into game 1 of the playoffs that we place our final judgement on.

We have the deepest top 6 we've ever had around the 2 best players in the game. We have a young and energetic 3rd line that could take off this year. Our top 3 D are set, and our bottom pair is great too.

We have time to evaluate Campbell, Skinner, Ceci, Broberg and Holloway before the deadline strikes.
Your glass is brimming over
We have made one change and it certainly wasn't the priority.
Vegas owned our bottom 6 and it could easily be said to be much worse thus far.
Vegas identified weakness defensively on our RD. We have done nothing.
They made us a two line team...our talent was upstairs while there was little downstairs.
The same strategy they had kills us again.

Meanwhile Holland sits around with his finger up his butt ...'I have no cap dollars or money to spend'. Clearly this is the time to spend futures and prospects to upgrade.
Just because you can't figure it out McNot doesn't mean others can't.

If you can't tell I"m somewhat offended by this do nothing attitude.
While the sky isn't falling it certainly needs some propping up!

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
They made us a two line team...our talent was upstairs while there was little downstairs.

Meanwhile Holland sits around with his finger up his butt ...'I have no cap dollars or money to spend'. Clearly this is the time to spend futures and prospects to upgrade.

The Oilers lost to Vegas because the Eichel line ran through the 2nd line while Woodcroft refused to get out of the matchup combined with shitty goaltending. The bottom 6 is so far down the list of the reasons we lost if it’s even a reason to begin with.

Yamamoto was a big reason that 2nd line got run through.

Reactions: jeg and Duke74

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Places to upgrade....

1) 3rd pair RD
2) 3 rd line center
3) Functional grit/aggressive on 4RW probably a position shared with the incumbent.
4) Goaltending: clearly Campbell is a headcase that has lost managements confidence.
5) 1st pair RD. Nurse needs the right complimentary guy and while Ceci will probably bouce back
he is not ideal.

Now Holland doesn't need to make all these upgrades. But he does need to make 3 or 4. Waiting till the deadline on them all if far from realistic unless there is a wolf Holland i haven't seen.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

its almost like you missed the entire point of the post lol

Oilers are a strong team right now. Yes they have flaws, but every team does.
Use the first ~60 games to assess the team (who should comfortably make the playoffs) and spend futures to upgrade the team when it's easier to manage cap wise

There's a good chance Campbell can rebound (I mean he can't be worse)
Ceci was excellent 2 years ago, he could return to that form
Holloway/Broberg could break out

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Use the first ~60 games to assess the team (who should comfortably make the playoffs) and spend futures to upgrade the team when it's easier to manage cap wise

What the “WHY DOESNT HE DO ANYTHING!!!!!” crowd can’t seem to grasp is that there is much more risk now to making big moves than there would be at the deadline only because we have no idea exactly what we will need yet to put us over the top.

Any of these things could go good or bad, and by guessing which one is the problem now we eliminate our ability to fix other areas if it isn’t actually a concern.

- Goaltending - tandem could improve organically (I think they will), or could go south

- Defense - Ceci could return to form and Nurse could have a better season; Broberg could take a step as well. Or they don’t and we need it addressed

- Bottom 6 - maybe we get contributions from unknowns like Lavoie, maybe Holloway makes an impact, maybe we need another piece.

The Campbell experience last year should be enough of a lesson for people to get this, but apparently not. Had we gone with Skinner + a more value option we wouldn’t have the $5M hole in our cap now. We didn’t do that though, we went all out to address a problem that we didn’t even know we didn’t have because Skinner didn’t have a real look yet. In hindsight it is very clear that the position would have been better addressed at the deadline, but we shot first.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta

I didn't miss it. And yes some of what you say 'could' happen but not all.
Its a gamble on Ceci, Campbell, rookies, and other players not good enough.
We weren't good enough last year and have made one change and its unrealistic to 'fix' this team at the deadline. Too many things would have to 'work out' in your scenario.
Moreover there are at least 3 teams 'dying' for draft capital and prospects and are selling now.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
We weren't good enough last year and have made one change and its unrealistic to 'fix' this team at the deadline. Too many things would have to 'work out' in your scenario.
Even if none of what i said happens (which literally happened last season), the team is still very strong. They went 18-2-1 down the stretch, 50 wins overall. The didn't lose any key pieces, it's basically Yamo, Bjugstad, and Kostin out, Brown Holloway in.

the point is to see how things play out, and address them in season. maybe a new issue will pop up that will need to be addressed

Reactions: K1984

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Even if none of what i said happens (which literally happened last season), the team is still very strong. They went 18-2-1 down the stretch, 50 wins overall. The didn't lose any key pieces, it's basically Yamo and Kostin out, Brown and Holloway in.

the point is to see how things play out, and address them in season. maybe a new issue will pop up that will need to be addressed
Your saying...Do nothing now, lets see what we have, maybe one of the players we have does something.
I'm saying your missing a golden opportunity now to do something.
If you make three changes now....and you can.....and the players are there and trading partners that will make things possible...you can be alot more than a playoff team. 3 changes now and 1 change at the deadline puts us past vegas and a good shot at the brass ring. Ohhhhh wait....lets do nothing and see what players that weren't good enough last year are better this year! LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: McDoused

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Moreover there are at least 3 teams 'dying' for draft capital and prospects and are selling now.
Steve Staios would have fixed all this, but I heard he’s gone to Ottawa.

Oh, wait…

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Kane has been nothing but a steady stream of feel good moments and stories (injury aside) since he signed here. I was happy he signed and I will keep rooting for him. Dude has full character and grew up.

Almost like a guy does dumb shit in his 20s and makes some near catastrophic mistakes only to learn from it and become a better man in his 30s.

A tale as old as time. Kane has been great as an Oiler and in the community from all reports.

We all love a redemption story.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Steve Staios would have fixed all this, but I heard he’s gone to Ottawa.

Oh, wait…
So you dont believe the speculation about the Andlaurers and the Staois thing. I found the story believable if not probable. Certainly there is a past relationship there and it is most likely that Dorion and his cohort will be out sooner rather than later.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Your saying...Do nothing now, lets see what we have, maybe one of the players we have does something.
I'm saying your missing a golden opportunity now to do something.
If you make three changes now....and you can.....and the players are there and trading partners that will make things possible...you can be alot more than a playoff team. 3 changes now and 1 change at the deadline puts us past vegas and a good shot at the brass ring. Ohhhhh wait....lets do nothing and see what players that weren't good enough last year are better this year! LOL.
we're just gonna go back and fourth lol. difference in philosophy here, I'll respect that

Reactions: Anarchism

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
So you dont believe the speculation about the Andlaurers and the Staois thing. I found the story believable if not probable. Certainly there is a past relationship there and it is most likely that Dorion and his cohort will be out sooner rather than later.
Speculation v posts that purport things as fact, is the point being made.

You reiterated a months old rumour yesterday as fact and was asked to provide a recent source by two different posters.

You went radio silent.

It makes trying to accept any of your posting as being plausible much more difficult when you can’t back up with facts or won’t own up to continuing to propagate a rumour with out factual basis.

Contrary to your rumour is also one that the Oilers are tightening down their ongoing relationship with Staios. Which one is true?

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Waaaaaaaaan

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

What do nothing attitude?

Since Jan 22 we have added Kane, Kulak, Ekholm and Brown. That's two top 6 forwards, a low end #1 dman and high end #5 dman.

There is every indication that Holland will go big again at the deadline. Our bottom 6 was solid all last year and I think it has room to grow this year. If not... do you have any idea how insanely easy it is to add to that at the deadline? We got Bjugstadt at 50% retention for a 3rd and a meh prospect...

Everyone who doesn't have Holland rage glasses on knows Edmonton is a top 5 contender for the cup this year. This is the best roster we've ever had in the McDrai era, and it will be even stronger come playoff time.

Get off the ledge.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
What do nothing attitude?

Since Jan 22 we have added Kane, Kulak, Ekholm and Brown. That's two top 6 forwards, a low end #1 dman and high end #5 dman.

There is every indication that Holland will go big again at the deadline. Our bottom 6 was solid all last year and I think it has room to grow this year. If not... do you have any idea how insanely easy it is to add to that at the deadline? We got Bjugstadt at 50% retention for a 3rd and a meh prospect...

Everyone who doesn't have Holland rage glasses on knows Edmonton is a top 5 contender for the cup this year. This is the best roster we've ever had in the McDrai era, and it will be even stronger come playoff time.

Get off the ledge.
We are a playoff team for sure. But we are not a contender now as it stands. Last year we never made the final four. Your saying internal growth and a deadline .....
Thats where we disagree.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
We are a playoff team for sure. But we are not a contender now as it stands. Last year we never made the final four. Your saying internal growth and a deadline .....
Thats where we disagree.
So a team that lost to the Stanley cup champions in the conference finals and semis two years in a row isn’t a contender?

Put the pipe down.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Thats where we disagree.

Does making the final four mean much anymore when the top two seeds can meet each other in the second round? I think we had a better team last season than we did the year before when we actually did make the final four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad