Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | What Do Our RFA's Sign For Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What Do Our RFA's Get?

• Bouchard 1 Year up to $3 million

• Bouchard 1 Year $3-4 million

• Bouchard 1 Year Over $4 million

• Bouchard 2 Years <$3.5 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years $3.5-$4 million AAV

• Bouchard 2 Years > $4 million AAV

• Bouchard Longer Than 2 Years

• McLeod 1 Year >$1.5 million

• McLeod 1 Year $1.5 to $2 million

• McLeod 2 Years >$1.5 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years $1.5 to $2 million AAV

• McLeod 2 Years Over $2 million AAV

• McLeod Longer Than 3 Years

• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We are a playoff team for sure. But we are not a contender now as it stands. Last year we never made the final four. Your saying internal growth and a deadline .....
Thats where we disagree.
Sounds like you've just quit, maybe find someone that runs closer to the front, then you won't lament having to be a Fan.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
The Oilers have gotten significantly worse on the bottom 6 and have added a player in the top 6 that's a slight upgrade on Yamamoto.

They have still yet to fix defensive issues and goaltending is something no one will be able to help the Oilers with.

Not a cup contender

We are up againt the cap too. Too many holes and too good of a Conference. Might be another wasted year until Holland pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Pesce

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If we put McDavid on LTIR we have 18.1 million in cap space. If you can’t beat the cheaters then join them.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Your saying...Do nothing now, lets see what we have, maybe one of the players we have does something.
I'm saying your missing a golden opportunity now to do something.
If you make three changes now....and you can.....and the players are there and trading partners that will make things possible...you can be alot more than a playoff team. 3 changes now and 1 change at the deadline puts us past vegas and a good shot at the brass ring. Ohhhhh wait....lets do nothing and see what players that weren't good enough last year are better this year! LOL.
What golden opportunity?

The market is at an absolute standstill. The majority, if not all of the team's flexibility is earmarked for their RFAs. So the majority of the futures that you wish to frivolously spend would be used to free up cap space by jettisoning healthy roster players. In a market where 60 point players are getting traded for no return.

Your perspective doesn't take into account the realities of the various markets. What Tampa did seven or eight years ago is in no way comparable to Edmonton's situation today. Moving money is incredibly difficult. And when that money is attached to a healthy player, there's very little guarantee that you're going to be able to find a tangible upgrade through either market. Not even taking into account how that player would fit into your future payroll.

The reason why the deadline is preferable is because the Oilers, now out of LTI, have the ability to accrue cap space as the season progresses. Spending it all before the season starts eliminates that option and essentially locks in the team's playoff roster day one of the regular season. No teams ever do that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Oilers have gotten significantly worse on the bottom 6 and have added a player in the top 6 that's a slight upgrade on Yamamoto.

They have still yet to fix defensive issues and goaltending is something no one will be able to help the Oilers with.

Not a cup contender

We are up againt the cap too. Too many holes and too good of a Conference. Might be another wasted year until Holland pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Pesce
Honestly I'll be shocked they make the playoffs with the massive dramatic down grades

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Honestly I'll be shocked they make the playoffs with the massive dramatic down grades

Yeah, people are being dramatic. I feel like any time people talk about how our roster has been downgraded I need to post the roster we started last season with.

Kane - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Holloway - Draisaitl - Hyman
McLeod - Nugent-Hopkins - Foegele
Malone - Shore - Ryan
Yamamoto

Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Barrie
Murray - Bouchard

Campbell
Skinner

We were in the same cap hell at this point and look what Holland was able to do by the time the playoffs started. Contenders lose rentals/players to the cap every off-season and have to stock up again at the next trade deadline. It's a completely normal cycle. Our roster will look different by the time the playoffs come around again. People need to give Kenny time to cook.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
3rd and 4th lines and bottom pair dmen, not that important.

This team, like most teams will only go as far as their goaltending takes them.

Last year we did not need Billy Ranford or Dwyane Roloson levels of play we just needed Chris Osgood level of play.

Tending is still the biggest house of cards in the wind. Dubious as hell and paper thin depth wise.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Not a cup contender

Pesce
Nvm

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Does anyone know if we acquire someone on LTIR if that space can be used to apply Brown’s bonus to this season?
That would make it worse actually because it would stop us from accruing any cap between now and the deadline.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
ExcellentUnfitBlackcrappie-max-1mb.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Last year we did not need Billy Ranford or Dwyane Roloson levels of play we just needed Chris Osgood level of play.

Tending is still the biggest house of cards in the wind. Dubious as hell and paper thin depth wise.

Basically yes. You're not winning with the goaltending they had last year.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Not that important? I would argue that was a significant factor in their loss to LV.

Reactions: Anarchism

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Not a cup contender

Pesce
I think this is a little dramatic but I agree that the Oilers need to improve their bottom 6 and add a 2nd pairing defenseman to truly take a step into the category of top-5 team in the league. I will never take for granted the upward development path of young players after this team has consistently put their expectations in young players where hope would have been more reasonable. Wake me up when Broberg can actually play on the 2nd pairing or Holloway can contribute on a consistent basis.

Anyways, that said, I think things can happen from now and then with the roster. Even if nothing changes, it's still a good team. But I wouldn't call them a cup contender right now.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

duul

Jun 21, 2010
People talking about Connor Brown like he is the second coming of Hyman. The guy can barely move out there. Slow as molasses with a poor shot. His two way game is lauded because he moves his arms a lot and whacks his stick around.

The guy is no Hyman. He is no Marchessault. He isn't a Barbashev or Stephenson. He's a middling guy who has never broken out because he is not the type of player who can break out. There's some effort there, you can tell he is putting in work. Reminds me of Josh Archibald energy.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Just a terrible shot and look where he’s scoring all these goals from, right in front of the net, what an idiot. I absolutely hate when players go to the front of the net, everyone knows most goals are scored from the perimeter.

Very middling player.
Yes, his shot is bad and he can barely skate. Budget budget budget Hyman.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
What golden opportunity?

The market is at an absolute standstill. The majority, if not all of the team's flexibility is earmarked for their RFAs. So the majority of the futures that you wish to frivolously spend would be used to free up cap space by jettisoning healthy roster players. In a market where 60 point players are getting traded for no return.

Your perspective doesn't take into account the realities of the various markets. What Tampa did seven or eight years ago is in no way comparable to Edmonton's situation today. Moving money is incredibly difficult. And when that money is attached to a healthy player, there's very little guarantee that you're going to be able to find a tangible upgrade through either market. Not even taking into account how that player would fit into your future payroll.

The reason why the deadline is preferable is because the Oilers, now out of LTI, have the ability to accrue cap space as the season progresses. Spending it all before the season starts eliminates that option and essentially locks in the team's playoff roster day one of the regular season. No teams ever do that.
You have 3 teams possibly 4 teams willing to move pieces right now for draft capital and prospects.
2 of those teams can take significant $ back.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Not that important? I would argue that was a significant factor in their loss to LV.
Vegas goalie stopped the puck our guy didn't, it was as simple as that.

We endlessly go over our bottom two lines and bottom pair dmen on a team with top guys that get tons of ice time and score lots of goals. We are never getting the perfect bottom two lines.

If our goalie actually stops the puck at an average rate last year we are talking about how to defend our cup win.

Reactions: Kepler 186f

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It was rhetorical, but you reinforced that you are ok with signing a marginal player who plays the style of game you desire, when he wants to (your words).

I don’t understand why anyone would aspire to sign someone for their physical prowess who only plays that way when “he wants to engage” because “he doesn’t play a physical game consistently “.

GMKH gets pasted on here for poor signings, this would be in that category. I’m sorry, but your post includes too many reasons as to why you don’t sign him versus reasons to do so.
For cheap I have all kinds of time for him especially since we moved out a better player in Kostin. If you want Kane and Nurse feeling the need to fight all of our battles then year don't sign him on the cheap.

In terms of legit toughness the list is getting pretty small:

Austin Watson (punching bag but not completely useless on the ice)
Nick Ritchie (inconsistent physically but probably the most skill on the list)
Brett Ritchie
Brendan Lemieux
Wayne Simmonds (one foot out of the league)

In terms of guys that can hold their own against non heavies:

Max Comtois
Derek Grant
Zach Kassian (guy is done like dinner)

Reactions: Anarchism

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Vegas goalie stopped the puck our guy didn't, it was as simple as that.

We endlessly go over our bottom two lines and bottom pair dmen on a team with top guys that get tons of ice time and score lots of goals. We are never getting the perfect bottom two lines.

If our goalie actually stops the puck at an average rate last year we are talking about how to defend our cup win.
We cannot go back to being a 1 or 2 line team and bleeding goals from the bottom 6. We need at least a passable bottom 6 to win anything unless our goalie goes prime Hasek on us.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
A net zero bottom 6 or 7 or 8 are things that dreams are made of. (i suspect we will have a bottom 7).
I would settle for a very strong defensive 3rd and a 4th that can really cycle and have some aggressiveness.
Guess we have to hope Woodcroft learned something and knows how to switch players up and down the line up in a timely fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad