• McLeod Longer Than 3 Years

• McLeod Traded

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No it doesn't.

Nobody is claiming Zadina is BETTER than Mcleod, only that Mcleod is not worth the 2m+ we are going to have to sign him for if he does return.

It's not about whether Zadina is better than McLeod it's that your assessment of Zadina being a great 5v5 player is unmoored from reality.

The point being that if we can get Zadina for 775k instead, you do that, save the cap for someone like Bouchard or bring in another player, and then move RNH or Holloway back to centre. Makes way more sense than paying a guy like Mcleod who isn't capable of scoring goals in a playoff atmosphere. At least with guys like Holloway they have a potential to do so.

So the addition here is Zadina, a sub-replacement level player and the rest is shuffling the deck, including placing an untested rookie in a position to flop or moving a player who just scored 100 points in a top 6 role into the bottom six (and leaving a corresponding hole in the top 6) just to save like a million bucks (and that's assuming your $2M number is close to the ask)?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Gretzky wasn't traded because of Janet. He was traded because Pocklington needed fast cash.

Either way, Gretzky was no longer an Oiler.

I am not saying he WILL leave but to say he WONT is stupid.

I mean Gretzky was traded because of money and Peter Puck. But he was essentially being sold not traded and was told he could pick anywhere; Gretz chose LA for Janet's career.

If I recall correctly Toronto and New York offered more money.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Lol- my favourite part of your posts is how you just pull shit out of your ass and state it as fact. Rope-a-dope hockey? So, let me get this straight- Cassidy asked Eichel not to score against McLeod’s line, be hemmed in his own zone- on purpose? The end goal being he hoped Eichel
Would get a tougher matchup on paper? Holy hell you make absolute no sense whatsoever.

If Woodcroft kept up with that line matchup- extrapolating from the small sample size, Vegas would have had to rely on another line to score vs the one that killed us. But you keep doing whatever is that you do
Clever strategies win out over speed and ineffectiveness. Poorly coached teams are poorly positioned teams. They get outplayed and lose to coaches who strategize and use superior positioning.

It isn't who skates the fastest or gets the most shots on goal. It's drawing your opponent into traps and manipulating their positioning. Winning the game and the series.

Knowing exactly when to activate a set play to score or even hammer the opponents best player with a thunderous body check by leaving passing lanes open, or having open ice left available to a opponent, having that player flanked with coverage, then lowering the boom in a predetermined area.

You do the same to "allow" shots on net. Those shots are limited to precise areas and to certain stretches of the game, that the goaltender has been primed for. It's what they practice.

So is one team outplaying another team because the shot clock says so or one team has more had more possession time. Maybe you don't know until the end of the series and you're going over the video footage. Like Woodcroft and his coaching staff. Hopefully they realize they got played six ways from sunday.

You are the one who doesn't have a clue. Some of the best teams ever assembled have won games from start to finish in the playoffs 1-0 or had many consecutive games won in overtime because they had complete control over the games.

You can keep on thinking McLeod is a difference making center, because Bruce Cassidy doesn't give a shit and neither do I.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't understand why signing Zadina would result in moving McLeod. Sign Zadina and sign McLeod.

This team is still incredibly light on NHL calibre RWs after losing two former 1st round picks in the last six months. There is room in camp for competition.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't understand why signing Zadina would result in moving McLeod. Sign Zadina and sign McLeod.

This team is still incredibly light on NHL calibre RWs after losing two former 1st round picks in the last six months. There is room in camp for competition.
If Zadina is trying to bet on himself then he should go to a bottom feeder team that can guarantee him top 6 and PP time. He’d get zero of that here unless we get some serious injuries.

I’ve never watched him play but if he couldnt crack the Wings lineup these last 4 years then I doubt he’d even get a sniff here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not even a given we can run a 22 man roster, if McLeod gets 2 mill and we have to give Bouchard 4 per (or even a few K less), then you're looking at not enough cap room to have a 13th forward.

If McLeod is 2 mill and Bouchard is 4 mill, we would have 385k in cap space, so it's possible we start with just 12 forwards.

Zadina would have to take the league min (775k to come here) if he wants to be on the roster.

Kane McDavid Brown
RNH Draistaitl Hyman
Janmark Ryan Foegele
Holloway McLeod Zadina

One right shot total in the bottom six isn't quite ideal.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Zadina is trying to bet on himself then he should go to a bottom feeder team that can guarantee him top 6 and PP time. He’d get zero of that here unless we get some serious injuries.

I’ve never watched him play but if he couldnt crack the Wings lineup these last 4 years then I doubt he’d even get a sniff here.
I mentioned it earlier. The only thing that does is earn him another contract that makes it difficult for him to be moved in the future.

This plan seems like he wants to prove that he's a full-time NHL player. And I don't see how he can do that unless he starts from the very bottom.

It's quite obvious that he's not a natural top line talent. This is a guy that's going to have to reinvent his approach to the game. Empty point production makes him an Athanasiou calibre winger. That's not great for career longevity or future earning potential.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Well..he had 5 points in 12 games in a checking role.
A role in which he effectively checked one of the top centres in the game in Jack Eichel.

You are entitled to your opinion of course.
Sure but his bad habits also created GA's.

First goal in game six was blamed on skinner, but watch Mcleod skating circles in the defensive zone looking for an outlet. He makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't score enough yet to balance it.

Other than a RD, 3C is our worst weakness imo.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Sure but his bad habits also created GA's.

First goal in game six was blamed on skinner, but watch Mcleod skating circles in the defensive zone looking for an outlet. He makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't score enough yet to balance it.

Other than a RD, 3C is our worst weakness imo.
I concur. I'd prefer the Oilers having a 3C that can execute defensive plays and assignments exactly as they were designed. That goes the same for all three zones. We need a player in the 3C slot that makes the correct play so often it becomes a routine. That definitely isn't a description of Ryan McLeod.

I know you know but others don't. All centers are not created equal. Your third-line center needs to play a completely different game from McDavid and Draisaitl. And the 4th line center has a different job description from every other center.
This can’t possibly be real, right?

I love it. And so does Kane.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
When was the last time you were in LA? Hardly anyone in LA could name a single player from the kings.

A few months ago, my dad lived near LA so I’ve been to Los Angeles tons more than I’ve been to Leduc Alberta and I’m a 20 minute drive from our L.A. lol. I know the city fairly well and have spent a lot of time there.

Nobody knew who Gretzky was in LA either till he was traded there. LA is a celeb driven town. Leon would be an instant celebrity there, the newest “in” thing and the LA PR machine (which is an absolute monster) would go into overdrive with him.

But people seem to read 2 words, assume I have a fixed position and have their little freak out thinking they are 1000% right (thinking of you JJ lol) while I’m merely playing the devils advocate.

Look, I’m not saying he will go there or anywhere else but it’s naive to think he’s a lock to stay in Edmonton. I think the odds are he eventually does but it’s not 100%.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
A few months ago, my dad lived near LA so I’ve been to Los Angeles tons more than I’ve been to Leduc Alberta and I’m a 20 minute drive from our L.A. lol. I know the city fairly well and have spent a lot of time there.

Nobody knew who Gretzky was in LA either till he was traded there. LA is a celeb driven town. Leon would be an instant celebrity there, the newest “in” thing and the LA PR machine (which is an absolute monster) would go into overdrive with him.

But people seem to read 2 words, assume I have a fixed position and have their little freak out thinking they are 1000% right (thinking of you JJ lol) while I’m merely playing the devils advocate.

Look, I’m not saying he will go there or anywhere else but it’s naive to think he’s a lock to stay in Edmonton. I think the odds are he eventually does but it’s not 100%.
Are you using the right profile account?

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

All due respect, but I kind of doubt the bolded. They couldn’t even draw 100K local viewers for the playoffs and postgames didn’t make the 11 o’clock news on KTLA. I doubt Leon does anything to take the team out of 4th or whatever for team interest there

LA is not a hockey town and doubt it ever will be.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
When was the last time you were in LA? Hardly anyone in LA could name a single player from the kings.
To be honest I know a few people who have had interactions with drai and have said he is a right ass hole towards the fans. So maybe he likes not being noticed and that could b an attractive thing playing in LA.

Also for what its worth nurse is supposedly the best to interact with ....

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
To be honest I know a few people who have had interactions with drai and have said he is a right ass hole towards the fans. So maybe he likes not being noticed and that could b an attractive thing playing in LA.

I really don't give a **** about any of this, I watch the Oilers play hockey games.

Last edited:

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020

Thank God for internet guys to warn me.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Hope they bring in Max Glidon for the Condors. He did well in his time with us. He may not have NHL potential but would be a good long term stabilizer there.....an Ahl contract.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Only a couple two three ppl on here are suggesting this. If you look at their post history, you quickly realize they haven't a clue on player evaluations or grasp a semblance of GMing 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad