Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Their right side D is a lot stronger than their left.

Brodie-Gio
Sergachev-Hamilton

That would be a tough top 4 for me to pass up as the Flames GM.

There's also the fact that I'm not super high on Nylander.

Exactly, they have Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett up front so I don't see them being in a big rush to draft another young forward. Especially since you can usually sign forwards fairly easy. In all honesty I'm more worried about facing Sergachev for the next decade then I am facing Tkachuk or Dubois.

If Vancouver or Calgary take Sergachev and he becomes an elite #1 dman how dumb does Edmonton look for passing on him for a 1st/2nd line winger in Tkachuk or Dubois?

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
But why turn the deal down outright? Why not just wait until the draft and tell him if Puljujarvi isn't there your willing to do the deal? I can see Arizona wanting Tkachuk bad since he's a local kid for them, he'd be pretty damn marketable.

As far as I could tell it was just the article that said he turned it down. What's to say he didn't do what you suggested? It's still technically turning it down, but that doesn't mean it's a no period. Could be more "no, now's not the time for that kind of deal"

North

Jun 25, 2009
if it is a legit source. I would not trade 4th for 7th and 20th--scouts are split on how deep this draft is. If the Oilers trade the 4th for picks--then they are admitting they are 5 years away from the playoffs--then you need to look at who will be oilers in 5 years. McDavid and Leon D and build from there

This.

7 and 20 isn't exactly a great offer.

If you're trading back or trading 4 outright you need a d man who can step in now. Not more kids.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Unless you get an offer too good to turn down, you don't trade the pick until you are on the clock.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
if it is a legit source. I would not trade 4th for 7th and 20th--scouts are split on how deep this draft is. If the Oilers trade the 4th for picks--then they are admitting they are 5 years away from the playoffs--then you need to look at who will be oilers in 5 years. McDavid and Leon D and build from there

To many other factors to jump to that conclusion.

What if Chia has 4 for 7 and 20 lined up and another deal for 20 and Pouliot/Yak/Eberle for a top 4 RHD?

Of course we have to wait for the draft to find out what course of action he takes, but rest assured there will be action.

And trading 3 spots down for another mid round 1st in no way signals the Oilers are admitting they are 5 years away from the playoffs. That's not a reasonable thing to say at all.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Exactly, they have Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett up front so I don't see them being in a big rush to draft another young forward. Especially since you can usually sign forwards fairly easy. In all honesty I'm more worried about facing Sergachev for the next decade then I am facing Tkachuk or Dubois.

If Vancouver or Calgary take Sergachev and he becomes an elite #1 dman how dumb does Edmonton look for passing on him for a 1st/2nd line winger in Tkachuk or Dubois?

It's really not that easy to sign wingers that can score.

You're the only one who sees this amazing future for Sergachev.

They take him at 4 they would be mocked. Reaching for a defenseman who nobody projects as a 1d.

This isn't Seth Jones you're talking about.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
As far as I could tell it was just the article that said he turned it down. What's to say he didn't do what you suggested? It's still technically turning it down, but that doesn't mean it's a no period. Could be more "no, now's not the time for that kind of deal"

True enough, I still think the player they want won't be their at 7 if they trade back. If they're thats rated 7-8-9 this year theres a good chance one of Calgary or Vancouver is to.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
this is why I want Tkchuck-but I think Yakupov has his bags packs and ticket book for another city

Hard to say if he's completely emotionally cut himself off from Edmonton. He's still going to events in Russia wearing Oilers gear, he's still wearing his Oilers gear in social media pics. He might take the summer training, get some distance from the situation, and look at the new season optimistically if a few changes are made.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
As far as I can remember, Yakupov looked great with McDavid.
Gotta keep spoon feeding Eberle those gift minutes though.

add to that yak willing to maybe take discounts and ****in eh you have mave 3 years of a top line. (if yak ever puts anything together)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
As far as I can remember, Yakupov looked great with McDavid.
Gotta keep spoon feeding Eberle those gift minutes though.

For a guy who is considered a goal scorer, playing with one of the most dynamic rookies the league has ever seen, I'd say scoring at a 16 goal/82game pace is a bit underwhelming. Maroon scored at a 41 G/82 game pace in his time with 97.

It's Yak's play in the defensive zone that concerns me a lot more though, not chipping pucks off the boards and watching McDavid do his thing. He is a liability and a guy that will cost you more games than he helps in.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's really not that easy to sign wingers that can score.

You're the only one who sees this amazing future for Sergachev.

They take him at 4 they would be mocked. Reaching for a defenseman who nobody projects as a 1d.

This isn't Seth Jones you're talking about.

Just this summer there's Stamkos, Backes, Okoposo, Ladd, Lucic, Eriksson, etc... Compare that to the defensive crop where the top guy is Goligoski who's a maybe after his rights were traded. Then Demers and who else? Kris Russell or Brain Campbell maybe?

Definitely easier to find half decent wingers to fill out your roster if your a playoff team then a top 4 dman.

And you must not have read many scouting reports. Pretty well all them say he has the highest potential out of the big 3 in this draft. And I haven't heard or read anything that says he doesn't have top pairing potential. Pretty well everything I've heard or read says he does.

Edit: Also I think Sergachev is better then Jones was at his age. I'd put Jones on the same level as Chychrun and I have Sergachev ahead of him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Just this summer there's Stamkos, Backes, Okoposo, Ladd, Lucic, Eriksson, etc... Compare that to the defensive crop where the top guy is Goligoski who's a maybe after his rights were traded. Then Demers and who else? Kris Russell or Brain Campbell maybe?

Definitely easier to find half decent wingers to fill out your roster if your a playoff team then a top 4 dman.

And you must not have read many scouting reports. Pretty well all them say he has the highest potential out of the big 3 in this draft. And I haven't heard or read anything that says he doesn't have top pairing potential. Pretty well everything I've heard or read says he does.

Edit: Also I think Sergachev is better then Jones was at his age. I'd put Jones on the same level as Chychrun and I have Sergachev ahead of him.

In terms of dmen, Keith Yandle is available, and he's a borderline #1 dman

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
p2kpqAv.jpg

The hero we need, but not the one we have right now

North

Jun 25, 2009

The wingers you listed may be available but there is no guarantee Calgary can sign any of them.

Also, Seth Jones was in the conversation to be picked number 1. Sergachev has never even been hinted at there and this is a weaker draft year than usual.

Sergachev is probably the best d man in the draft, but he's not one of the top 5 players in the draft.

Frankly I'll trust the people who evaluate players for a living more so than random message board poster.

That's the last I'll say in this thread because it belongs in the draft thread not the trade thread.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
add to that yak willing to maybe take discounts and ****in eh you have mave 3 years of a top line. (if yak ever puts anything together)

that is the only reason we'd prefer Yakupov there. It's a good reason too, considering we have impending cap problems ahead. But make no mistake, the ideal outcome would be to keep Eberle there. He's a far better scorer than Yakupov, and a better two-way player as well. Yak is a better checker though, and I do admire his hustle on forechecks in particular. That's just not Eberle's game though. I would keep the Maroon-McDavid-Eberle line together. They are a great set of complementary skills.

edit: and I will say that I remain a fan of Yakupov and I have faith that he could still find his game in the right situation. I would say we should trade one, but not both of Eberle and Yakupov. If Chiarelli trades Ebs and keeps Yak, I would be fine with taking a risk that Yak could improve and could even be a much better player than Eberle. However, Eberle could explode as well. With a full season next to McDavid and a better defense behind him, 40+ goals is not out of the question. I wouldn't say Yak has that in him yet.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The wingers you listed may be available but there is no guarantee Calgary can sign any of them.

Also, Seth Jones was in the conversation to be picked number 1. Sergachev has never even been hinted at there and this is a weaker draft year than usual.

Sergachev is probably the best d man in the draft, but he's not one of the top 5 players in the draft.

Frankly I'll trust the people who evaluate players for a living more so than random message board poster.

That's the last I'll say in this thread because it belongs in the draft thread not the trade thread.

Calgary's looking down the barrel of huge Gaudreau and Monahan raises. They might not be able to sign any free agents at all once that's all said and done.

NYR425

Sep 30, 2005
Don't go nuts, this is a question and looking to see if the value is off. With the lack of Defenseman available would the Oilers possibly be willing to do this trade?
Oilers trade 1(4) to New York Rangers for Rick Nash, Kevin Hayes and Marc Staal. I think Nash slots in well with McDavid. Staal becomes a veteran leader for your defense and helps develops young defenseman like Klef and Nurse. Hayes slots in as a third or fourth line player. What are your thoughts? You guys are getting ready to take the next step forward. Staal is my favorite Ranger player and I believe he will bounce back because this summer will be the first time in three summers he is not recovering from an injury and he can train.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Don't go nuts, this is a question and looking to see if the value is off. With the lack of Defenseman available would the Oilers possibly be willing to do this trade?
Oilers trade 1(4) to New York Rangers for Rick Nash, Kevin Hayes and Marc Staal. I think Nash slots in well with McDavid. Staal becomes a veteran leader for your defense and helps develops young defenseman like Klef and Nurse. Hayes slots in as a third or fourth line player. What are your thoughts? You guys are getting ready to take the next step forward. Staal is my favorite Ranger player and I believe he will bounce back because this summer will be the first time in three summers he is not recovering from an injury and he can train.
Nope, Oilers rarely trade a first round pick and rarely trade down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad