Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Seth Jones is basically the only player I have interest in offer-sheeting.

Shoots right, PPs, is the right age, has top pairing upside, is a top-4 defenseman now. He could be a good fit with Darnell Nurse someday and we have his brother in our system.

I'm getting more and more onboard this. Watching CBJ with vested interest. Hope they don't get a good cap savings off of a Hartnell deal.

That said, such a pipe dream they'd get bullied out of Jones.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Have to think only reason they wouldn't trade down for those two picks is they think the dman they want won't be there at 7.

Or maybe we would take a guy like Logan Brown at #7, and then look for one of those RHD prospects at #20.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm getting more and more onboard this. Watching CBJ with vested interest. Hope they don't get a good cap savings off of a Hartnell deal.

If they can't get that mess cleaned up soon, Jarmo could be out of a job pretty quickly. I know it's not all on him, but their cap/contract situation is UGLY.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
That would be outstanding. But extremely unlikely.

Not extremely as Columbus are loaded on the wing. The Brown hype has risen in the past month.

I believe Columbus may be eyeing up Dubois or Brown over Puljujarvi due to their wing depth at this moment.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have to think only reason they wouldn't trade down for those two picks is they think the dman they want won't be there at 7.

Or Chia said no in the hopes they step their offer up.

7 and 20 is a good offer but it doesn't do anything for us now.

They must not like the risk of the Flames taking Sergachev.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Not extremely as Columbus are loaded on the wing. The Brown hype has risen in the past month.

I believe Columbus may be eyeing up Dubois or Brown over Puljujarvi due to their wing depth at this moment.

from what I've read, the more likely thing is that they will trade down and get a ransom for the right to draft Puljujarvi. That lets them get Brown.

Brown is a name that has been mentioned directly for a long time. I've suggested before that Columbus was planning to draft him a long time ago, and basically winning the lottery has thrown a wrench in their plans. It's a good problem to have, but it's still a problem. Now, there is the chance that they don't get their center and take yet another winger. If they don't get their center elsewhere, it could be a disaster.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I agree it's a significant trade offer but also one that does not give good value to the Oilers. They lose the best player and thus the trade.

While Serg and say Fabbro would be great as an example that does not help anytime soon and really Tkachuk or Dubios are considered significantly better.

The timline of those players is tough to rationalize.

Im very impressed with Chiarelli attempting to hold out for something that will actually help us in the near future and to a significant degree.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Or Chia said no in the hopes they step their offer up.

7 and 20 is a good offer but it doesn't do anything for us now.

They must not like the risk of the Flames taking Sergachev.

Have we reached a point where Sergachev is ranked that high in the draft? If so, then why not just take him at 4? I still get the impression that the three top D in the draft are roughly equal depending on your needs, and they are ranked together starting around 8th.

I'm not worried about what Calgary does. In fact, I'd rather they stay a 1 line team by drafting a defenseman. They are stacked on defense already.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Their right side D is a lot stronger than their left.

Brodie-Gio
Sergachev-Hamilton

That would be a tough top 4 for me to pass up as the Flames GM.

There's also the fact that I'm not super high on Nylander.

Their center depth ain't pretty either.

I think it's Big 3/Tkachuk/Dubois/Brown/Nylander/Keller/Jost on their draft board.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have we reached a point where Sergachev is ranked that high in the draft? If so, then why not just take him at 4? I still get the impression that the three top D in the draft are roughly equal depending on your needs, and they are ranked together starting around 8th.

I'm not worried about what Calgary does. In fact, I'd rather they stay a 1 line team by drafting a defenseman. They are stacked on defense already.

The only thing I do not want to do is trade down with them.

I don't want either Dubois or Tkachuk on that team.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I only move #4 if we get a D-man between 23 to 26 with either a long term or would be a UFA when his current contract ends.. we need a top guy--that is painfully obvious.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Or Chia is just waiting to see if Pulji drops to 4. The pick will have it's best value when the #3 pick is done. Especially if it's just draft picks coming our way. If it was an impact player offered it might be another story.

But why turn the deal down outright? Why not just wait until the draft and tell him if Puljujarvi isn't there your willing to do the deal? I can see Arizona wanting Tkachuk bad since he's a local kid for them, he'd be pretty damn marketable.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Chia turning this...........???

Chia turning this rumour down tells me two possible scenarios.......Arizona wants the second Arizona native badly and/or Chia already has a deal in place for a defencemen.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Meh your dumping Pouliot so really your adding the 1.5M. I think that's affordable given what we're paying our wingers longterm and the fact RNH will eventually be moved. On top of that it's not like he's over the hill. Foligno's only 28 and would look real good next to Mcdavid for the next 5 years.

Foligno-Mcdavid-Eberle
Hall-Draisaitl-?
Maroon-RNH-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Pakarainen

Klefbom-Savard
Sekera-Fayne

It's not great, but I really like the looks of that top line. Add a guy like Mcguinn to that second line and holy crap we've gotten a lot bigger, tougher to play against.
People need to stop putting Draisaitl on the 2nd line centre position. Until Draisaitl can play 82 games at wing without tiring, he's not playing centre.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Chia turning this rumour down tells me two possible scenarios.......Arizona wants the second Arizona native badly and/or Chia already has a deal in place for a defencemen.

Or he's going to wait until the day of the draft to maximize value.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Or the most plausible the player they want isn't available at 7.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I would love to offer sheet Jones. He's a beast. I think he is going to be one of the leagues all star D by as early as next year. I would be comfortable bringing him in at any price, so long as we can also sign a defensive defenceman to show him the ropes. Some kind of veteran who can still play. A Hamhuis type.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
But why turn the deal down outright? Why not just wait until the draft and tell him if Puljujarvi isn't there your willing to do the deal? I can see Arizona wanting Tkachuk bad since he's a local kid for them, he'd be pretty damn marketable.

if it is a legit source. I would not trade 4th for 7th and 20th--scouts are split on how deep this draft is. If the Oilers trade the 4th for picks--then they are admitting they are 5 years away from the playoffs--then you need to look at who will be oilers in 5 years. McDavid and Leon D and build from there

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
I'd try to convince Stan Bowman to move Brent Seabrook with a hefty package of cap friendly pieces. I'd overpay for him, but I'm a huge fan.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Their center depth ain't pretty either.

I think it's Big 3/Tkachuk/Dubois/Brown/Nylander/Keller/Jost on their draft board.

I think it comes down to if the flames trade colbourne or not. If they get rid of him, or sign him to a bridge deal, I think they draft brown at 6 to replace him as a large 3c that can play wing, just like colbourne is. Colbournes looking to get paid after a season with unsustainable shooting % and I don't think they can afford to keep him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad