Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I think you guys are undervaluing Yakupov here.

Even if he never lives up to the draft hype, I'm sure there are many teams that think he can be a 25 goal scorer. Goals are very hard to come by in todays game.

It's just interesting that the HF hivemind thinks we'd be lucky to get a 2nd, then this thing comes out of nowhere.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think you guys are undervaluing Yakupov here.

Even if he never lives up to the draft hype, I'm sure there are many teams that think he can be a 25 goal scorer. Goals are very hard to come by in todays game.

And you are underselling Vatanen but a lot. Dmen with Vatanen's skillset are much harder to find than forwards like Yakupov.

With Hamonic, Trouba and Barrie reportedly coming off the market ANA holds the best available offensive Dman available. They arent going to trade it away for a struggling Yakupov.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
It's just interesting that the HF hivemind thinks we'd be lucky to get a 2nd, then this thing comes out of nowhere.

HF Hivemind thinks like this: Oilers suck = Player suck = Overpayment is only option. Like I said in the COlumbus proposal thread, I don't buy it one bit. Just a bunch of crap.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah, because that's exactly the same thing. :help:

Adding competent d-men is extremely difficult, I'm surprised Oilers fans of all people don't realize this. If it was easy and cheap don't you think we'd have traded and signed multiple of these guys already?

Who said it would be cheap? In the past Oilers weren't willing to pay the price, now the are. Also I just have to add winning the cup is a lot more difficult than adding competent dmen... since you went there ;)

And which team is giving up their top pairing d-man for a draftpick or small forward?

We will find out which team is willing to make that for our very high and valuable expansion draft exempt pick, or one of our incredibly difficult to acquire top line forwards.

Nice wording of our assets. You're really stuck on HF boards anti-Oilers mentality. All of our assets are crap and all of theirs is gold right? You're really going to go that far to make your 'point'?

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
And you are underselling Vatanen but a lot. Dmen with Vatanen's skillset are much harder to find than forwards like Yakupov.

With Hamonic, Trouba and Barrie reportedly coming off the market ANA holds the best available offensive Dman available. They arent going to trade it away for a struggling Yakupov.

Bob Murray's decision making has been absolutely awful the last couple of years.

This is a GM that can be taken advantage of.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
HF Hivemind thinks like this: Oilers suck = Player suck = Overpayment is only option. Like I said in the COlumbus proposal thread, I don't buy it one bit. Just a bunch of crap.

It seems to be at its worst point ever right now. Logic has gone out the window.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Agreed. There are a few posters in the Oilers-Jackets thread saying Edmonton would need to add to RNH for David Savard... :laugh:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Who said it would be cheap? In the past Oilers weren't willing to pay the price, now the are. Also I just have to add winning the cup is a lot more difficult than adding competent dmen... since you went there ;)

We will find out which team is willing to make that for our very high and valuable expansion draft exempt pick, or one of our incredibly difficult to acquire top line forwards.

Nice wording of our assets. You're really stuck on HF boards anti-Oilers mentality. All of our assets are crap and all of theirs is gold right? You're really going to go that far to make your 'point'?

I'm not. I just think that people in here should temper their expectations a little bit if they think Bogo is not even close to the type of d-men we're gonna get. It's very likely one of the d-men we're getting is a Bogo/Savard level defenseman.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It seems to be at its worst point ever right now. Logic has gone out the window.

It makes some sense. We're getting very few rumours, the things we are hearing out of other markets doesn't seem super positive. Add to that general Frustration, and ridiculous Frustration from people who don't like the team anymore, but seem to be following along out of habit.

And you get the ridiculousness we're seeing. Don't forget a small dose of the old Oilers inferiority Complex.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Yeah, because that's exactly the same thing. :help:

Adding competent d-men is extremely difficult, I'm surprised Oilers fans of all people don't realize this. If it was easy and cheap don't you think we'd have traded and signed multiple of these guys already?

Yeah, I'm kinda dropping the hope of landing a difference making Dman. Hopefully we can add one top top 4 Dman and some better top nine forwards.

The big fish just isn't there.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Part of me will feel less anxious if Chiarelli can do something minor-ish relatively soon.

Even re-signing Jordan Oesterle would be a minor move of positivism.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Seeing Bob Mackenzie say on a radio show that he expects more UFA trades happening this weekend makes me think Chiarelli might try to snag Demers or Campbell with a pick to try to save face before the draft so he can at least say "I got 1 Top 4 Dman. Get off my back"

this would be the most oilers thing ever, or close to it

realize that all the good players aren't available, make a trade and give up an asset, only to VASTLY overpay for a player who is not what you need, and will be played well above his skill-set level

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC

Wait, are you saying Eberle for a 2nd isn't fair value? :sarcasm:

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
I just wonder what it is that makes you guys think we're getting a top tier defenseman here when all we got last year was Reinhart, and we overpayed for him nonetheless.

There was also that Sekera guy, but I suppose he was only the best UFA defenseman available....

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Yeah, I'm kinda dropping the hope of landing a difference making Dman. Hopefully we can add one top top 4 Dman and some better top nine forwards.

The big fish just isn't there.

Faulk isn't available.

Didn't realize we had so many insiders.

We will find out who and who wasn't available in the next few weeks. Until then, none of us have any way of knowing.

I'm sticking to my prediction that we land a very good dman, and it will probably be one that nobody (or very few of us) have talked about.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It doesn't sound like Chia was offering any of our most valuable assets last year. He is now. (Although lots of them depreciated in value while he "evaluated" for 12 months)

RNH and yakupov were the only ones that really depreciated... hall is still worth what he was, as is eberle... drai increased in value quite a bit.... i think you could make an argument that eberle might have increased in value a little bit, but i wouldn't die on that hill by any means

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
"Perhaps the newest, biggest rumor surrounding the Philadelphia Flyers is that they have interest in Edmonton Oilers forward Nail Yakupov. The main source of this rumor, as far as I know, is Eklund at HockeyBuzz.com"

yeh.. no need to get excited.. This was discussed and laughed at on the main boards yesterday.

i'm not saying i think this deal is realistic (i don't, if you care about my opinion), but going to the main boards for ANYTHING, is a recipe for disaster, lol... common sense regarding the oilers is simply not to be found

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Id pretty much say it's written in stone that Oesterle and Pakarinen get qualified.

Obviously but I'd like to see a finalized deal. Pakarinen might be going to arbitration so that's a different story but a nice 2 year deal at 850K per for Oesterle or something around those lines would be a good little signing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Didn't realize we had so many insiders.

We will find out who and who wasn't available in the next few weeks. Until then, none of us have any way of knowing.

I'm sticking to my prediction that we land a very good dman, and it will probably be one that nobody (or very few of us) have talked about.

Well then we should also be ready to lose one of the very good player that very few have talked about as well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
There was also that Sekera guy, but I suppose he was only the best UFA defenseman available....

You're right. Forgot about him, my bad. To be fair, he had a pretty forgettable year. Is he any better than Bogo though? I doubt it. Demers/Bogo/Sekera similar level type of defensemen, but people expect something better than that it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad