Rumor: Rumors & Proposals thread: Vatanen gone as well

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Based on ethics I wouldn't offer sheet a player. Relationship management could be a lot more valuable in the future than a dman that could get a major injury or health problem.

Ethics? They aren't kidnapping these players, they signing them to legal contracts because the team's who own their rights are either too cheap or don't want to pay the players.

It has nothing to do with Ethics, if you don't want to be in a situation where your players can be Offersheeted. Manage your Cap and pay your guys if they look to deserve it.

I Offersheet Lindholm all day.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Exactly.

The posters here need to calm down. Chiarelli knows what he's doing. I doubt he's panicking like this board is.

Pretty much. He was very confident he'd be able to address the D. I doubt that's changed just because three guys aren't available anymore.

Target the Wild, the Jackets, the Devils, and the Hurricanes.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The last time the Oilers traded for a pending UFA to "save face", Nikitin was signing a 2 year contract from hell...

They didn't trade for him to save face, Howsen and Mactavish legitimately believed Nikitin was a top 4 defenseman that would be in demand on the open market :laugh:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I just wonder what it is that makes you guys think we're getting a top tier defenseman here when all we got last year was Reinhart, and we overpayed for him nonetheless.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I just wonder what it is that makes you guys think we're getting a top tier defenseman here when all we got last year was Reinhart, and we overpayed for him nonetheless.

Pittsburgh won the cup this year. What makes you think anyone else can do it next year? Your argument...

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Luke Schenn is just awful, He's like a Rich Man's Eric Gryba at best. Ben Lovejoy is a better option.

Rich man's Gryba at Gryba salary could be just what we need on our bottom pairing.

Nurse-Schenn could be a decent bottom pairing.

Add Vatanen to top 4 and call it an offseason.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I guess no one should be looking for that as the return for the value of assets available and just hope for whatever teams "Want" to give up.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Pittsburgh won the cup this year. What makes you think anyone else can do it next year? Your argument...

Yeah, because that's exactly the same thing. :help:

Adding competent d-men is extremely difficult, I'm surprised Oilers fans of all people don't realize this. If it was easy and cheap don't you think we'd have traded and signed multiple of these guys already?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Rich man's Gryba at Gryba salary could be just what we need on our bottom pairing.

Nurse-Schenn could be a decent bottom pairing.

Add Vatanen to top 4 and call it an offseason.

Absolutely Not, the Oilers "Need" isn't a bottom pairing defenseman in any way, shape or form.

Again, for the same Money and Term, Ben Lovejoy is a MUCH better option.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Honestly wouldn't mind seeing:

2016 5th for Demers
Sign Demers 5.5 for 5 years.

Offer sheet Jones
If that fails Pouliot+2017 1st for Vatanen --> they need LW players apparently and while the 2017 1st is hard to give up we could live with it

This gets you a PP D in Vatanen who is also quite good on the PK.

Sign depth players hopefully for cheap e.i. Dale Weise or Stempniak for RW and McGinn for LW so prospects have to push for spots.

Bozak for Fayne

Yak+2016 2nd for Gudas

Leaves you with

Hall-Rnh-Drai
Maroon-McDavid-Eberle
McGinn-Bozak-Weise
Hendriks-Letestu-Kassian
Pak

Klef-Demers
Sekera-Vatanen
Davidson-Gudas
xxx

Nurse to the minors.

I didn't calculate the salary cap so this is probably over since we LTIR Ference and hopefully dump Korpi.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton

It doesn't sound like Chia was offering any of our most valuable assets last year. He is now. (Although lots of them depreciated in value while he "evaluated" for 12 months)

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Yeah, because that's exactly the same thing. :help:

Adding competent d-men is extremely difficult, I'm surprised Oilers fans of all people don't realize this. If it was easy and cheap don't you think we'd have traded and signed multiple of these guys already?

No. Part of the not getting a Dman was MacT/Tambo never Dangling the pick or the 6million dollar men, but from all accounts Chiarelli is.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
We had all the news we need, mostly yesterday.

No one is available, everyone on the team, safe for McDavid to an extent, is isn't worth much so here we are staring down another long season.

New Best case scenario for the Defense

Trade Eberle (30% retention) and #32 overall for Shattenkirk as is (Beg him to stay all year, probably move him at the deadline)
Trade 4th overall and Mark Fayne (they need to his the floor) for Michael Stone

Klefbom - Shattenkirk
Stone - Sekera
Nurse - Davidson
Osterle, Reinhart.
I don't trade #4OA as then that player has to be protected in the expansion draft and leave a better player unprotected, /the #4OA is exempt.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
I think you guys are undervaluing Yakupov here.

Even if he never lives up to the draft hype, I'm sure there are many teams that think he can be a 25 goal scorer. Goals are very hard to come by in todays game.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/rumor-oilers-flyers-working-on-trade-involving-two-former-first-round-picks?ref=jo

Dang Chia will be genius to fire Yak away to Philly. Ideal trading partners definitely.

"Perhaps the newest, biggest rumor surrounding the Philadelphia Flyers is that they have interest in Edmonton Oilers forward Nail Yakupov. The main source of this rumor, as far as I know, is Eklund at HockeyBuzz.com"

yeh.. no need to get excited.. This was discussed and laughed at on the main boards yesterday.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
No. Part of the not getting a Dman was MacT/Tambo never Dangling the pick or the 6million dollar men, but from all accounts Chiarelli is.

And which team is giving up their top pairing d-man for a draftpick or small forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad